Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Dude...I hope Hurin gets this and does the subs again, cause that will be awesome. I'm glad I was never able to get a copy of DYRL?.

I'm hoping for a good subbing of the M7 in HD too, but we'll see. But still I'm buying them.

Before it gets out of hand, they are "remastered" from HD, not in HD itself...

However, mastering them in HD is most likely a harbinger for the real deal, prolly in 2008 after the series has run and the franchise is fresh in the minds of the consumers.

Before it gets out of hand, they are "remastered" from HD, not in HD itself...

I think most are aware of that. The media format clearly says DVD. How much better can a movie shot on regular film look anyway?

The reason I (and most others?) are getting this boxset is because they dont own an R2 copy yet and this set has 2 bonus discs of material.

What do you mean "out of hand?" Every preorder made makes the 25th anniversary of Macross more successful and the chances of seeing much more material/products in the future increases. Also the fact that its the 1984 Summer movie sends a message that the Old School fans are still out there and demanding.

I've ordered from Amazon.jp before and I live in Canada. Did the same thing Sdf-1. I've ordered CDs and Books. They all turn out fine.

I am however, dreading the day I actually have an order problem (which is why I usually order small stuff). THAT will be interesting :)

Fantastic news! I hope we eventually get a HD re-release of Macross Flashback too.

I pray Bandai Visual can bring over DYRL to the US one of these days.

well, maybe it will happen, since it looks like HG is willing to market SDFM/DYRL seperately from their robotech line now.

Just create an account at Amazon JP like you would anywhere else. I live near Chicago. No problems with Amazon JP or Amazon UK(I buy there sometimes too). But even though you can search in English at Amazon JP, its better to search in Kanji. English searches usually don't show everything.

I think most are aware of that. The media format clearly says DVD. How much better can a movie shot on regular film look anyway?

The reason I (and most others?) are getting this boxset is because they dont own an R2 copy yet and this set has 2 bonus discs of material.

What do you mean "out of hand?" Every preorder made makes the 25th anniversary of Macross more successful and the chances of seeing much more material/products in the future increases. Also the fact that its the 1984 Summer movie sends a message that the Old School fans are still out there and demanding.

"Out of Hand" in terms of believing this release to be an actual HD release, by all means everyone should own a copy, since it will be the best possible standard DVD release of the film that will exist!

According to a friend of mine in the film industry 35mm film has resolutions that are far in excess of what a digital HD transfer can carry at the moment. I do not recall the actual megapixel comparisons between the two, but it is significant.

The HD cameras Lucas used on the prequels is a higher resolution than standard HD, but not as high as film.

Am I the only one who's thinking "meh" on all this remastered stuff? I don't have a DVD player that can play R2s, and even if it could, my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to watch without subtitles. Not to mention that, while it might not be as pretty, I have the Animeigo TV release on DVD, ripped it to divx since my DVD player plays divx, not to mention my computers and PDA (or with a quick reencode, my PSP or iPod), plus the FX DYRL DVD, also ripped to divx. It's not like I'm exactly at a loss for ways to watch Macross already.

If they really want to get my attention, they'd release this stuff on Blu-ray. If Big West were smart, they'd sidestep the license issues with HG by including an English subtitle track on the Japanese release; since the US and Japan are in the same region for Blu-ray, we English-speaking fans can just import them from Japan.

Am I the only one who's thinking "meh" on all this remastered stuff? I don't have a DVD player that can play R2s, and even if it could, my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to watch without subtitles. Not to mention that, while it might not be as pretty, I have the Animeigo TV release on DVD, ripped it to divx since my DVD player plays divx, not to mention my computers and PDA (or with a quick reencode, my PSP or iPod), plus the FX DYRL DVD, also ripped to divx. It's not like I'm exactly at a loss for ways to watch Macross already.

If they really want to get my attention, they'd release this stuff on Blu-ray. If Big West were smart, they'd sidestep the license issues with HG by including an English subtitle track on the Japanese release; since the US and Japan are in the same region for Blu-ray, we English-speaking fans can just import them from Japan.

that's what I'm waiting for. my current DYRL DVD is "good enough" to tide me over until the eventual HD release.

Well if enough Western fans ask Bandai Visual to do it, I'm sure they'd consider it. The only issue is that we'd have to buy it from Japan or another offshore source, because to distribute it domestically could have some legal snags.

If BW has the stones to actually defend their hard won intellectual property rights internationally, they could release it here and throw down the gauntlet to HG, so to speak.

Am I the only one who's thinking "meh" on all this remastered stuff?

For me it depends what it is. DYRL? and Macross Plus I've seen them so many times I know whats going on. So no subs, no problem. But those are also my two favorite Macross productions so I'd like to have the best possible DVD releases. And I have a region free DVD player(actually a few) and a JP PS2. Or I can rip them onto my harddrive and burn them onto a DVD+R. So its not a "meh" to me :) but I see your point.

The Animeigo SDF Macross set is good enough for me and Macross 7 sucks so I won't be buying that. :lol:

"Out of Hand" in terms of believing this release to be an actual HD release, by all means everyone should own a copy, since it will be the best possible standard DVD release of the film that will exist!

According to a friend of mine in the film industry 35mm film has resolutions that are far in excess of what a digital HD transfer can carry at the moment. I do not recall the actual megapixel comparisons between the two, but it is significant.

The HD cameras Lucas used on the prequels is a higher resolution than standard HD, but not as high as film.

I stand corrected. Analog 35mm is technically unlimited resolution but on a the medium sized widescreen CRT I plan to have I think remastered DVD will be more than enough. I think a better copy would only be needed for really huge displays.

Well if enough Western fans ask Bandai Visual to do it, I'm sure they'd consider it. The only issue is that we'd have to buy it from Japan or another offshore source, because to distribute it domestically could have some legal snags.

Right, but I figure that a lot of anime and/or videogame fans already have plenty of experience buying online from stores physically located in Japan (or Hong Kong, for that matter). I think I speak for the majority here when I say that I wouldn't mind buying a solid HD remastered Blu-ray release of at least one Macross production from CDJapan, Play Asia, Yesasia, Amazon Japan, etc and letting the credit card company worry about the dollar to yen conversion rate. Or USD to HKD. Or whatever.

Doesn't anyone on the boards here have some contacts at Big West/Bandai Visual? Maybe we could petition for English subtitles on any Blu-ray or HD-DVD release. If enough of us were interested, I'm sure they'd realize that expanding their potential market to include English-speaking fans would be worth the cost of licensing Animeigo/Manga/fansubs, if not to create their own subtitles.

If BW has the stones to actually defend their hard won intellectual property rights internationally, they could release it here and throw down the gauntlet to HG, so to speak.
Yeah they could so a special international version like they did with the changing the Japanese Gunbuster boxset to region 1. Though if they did this with DYRL, they would need to include subtitles to get my purchase.

To be honest, as good as an alternatvie this could be, DYRL really needs to be in the US distribution channels otherwise too many would miss out on buying this awesome classic.

Edited by Area88

Doesn't anyone on the boards here have some contacts at Big West/Bandai Visual? Maybe we could petition for English subtitles on any Blu-ray or HD-DVD release. If enough of us were interested, I'm sure they'd realize that expanding their potential market to include English-speaking fans would be worth the cost of licensing Animeigo/Manga/fansubs, if not to create their own subtitles.

If every member here and all interested parties were to request it from Bandai Visual US, I'm sure they'd pass the message along to the Japanese parent.

Like any business, if there is a market for a product, it will be provided.

Here's the contact page for Bandai Visual US:

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/usa/

If every member here and all interested parties were to request it from Bandai Visual US, I'm sure they'd pass the message along to the Japanese parent.

Like any business, if there is a market for a product, it will be provided.

Here's the contact page for Bandai Visual US:

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/usa/

But then again I think people here also overestimate how big a percentage of total Macross fans are English speaking. For every Macross Worlder there are 100 hardcore Macross Otaku in Japan.

But then again I think people here also overestimate how big a percentage of total Macross fans are English speaking. For every Macross Worlder there are 100 hardcore Macross Otaku in Japan.

It's not a matter of overestimating how big a percentage the English-speaking Macross fans make up of the total fanbase. I think it'd be great of the licensing issues were resolved and all of Macross saw a legitimate US release... but that's not what I'm asking for. All I'm asking is that Bandai Visual/Big West include English subtitles on any future releases of any Macross on either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. I don't think it would cost them too much to license Animeigo's SDF Macross subtitles, or Manga's Macross Plus and Macross II subtitles, let alone to buy them from a fansubber for DYRL, 7, and Zero, and by including those subtitles they can increase the market for a product that's already intended for their larger Japanese fanbase to include English-speakers willing to import.

EDIT: I used the contact information provided to send Bandai Visual my proposal.

Edited by mikeszekely

This may be true, but with the drop in home video sales in Japan recently, if a company can release a product that will be bought by the international market as well as domestically, why wouldn't it?

Bluray offers a prime opportunity for BV & BW to sidestep HG's claims in the US while still profiting from the sale of their Macross releases. Importing of these titles is not considered infringement because they are not produced here and the legal property owners or their agents are selling them directly.

To make them more attractive, for Western export, why wouldn't a company invest a small amount in purchasing existing audio and / or subtitle streams from former license holders (Mac Plus and Mac II from Manga Entertainment.) or creating a translated subtitle stream by a US subsidiary (Bandai Visual US) and incorporating it into a release.

The costs are negligable compared to the potential additional revenue from exporting it to the West. Revenue they wouldn't see if they remained domestically focused and closed to the idea of international export.

Hell they could explore the idea of distribution from Canada which has different copyright laws from the US.

Edited by Zinjo

It's not a matter of overestimating how big a percentage the English-speaking Macross fans make up of the total fanbase. I think it'd be great of the licensing issues were resolved and all of Macross saw a legitimate US release... but that's not what I'm asking for. All I'm asking is that Bandai Visual/Big West include English subtitles on any future releases of any Macross on either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. I don't think it would cost them too much to license Animeigo's SDF Macross subtitles, or Manga's Macross Plus and Macross II subtitles, let alone to buy them from a fansubber for DYRL, 7, and Zero, and by including those subtitles they can increase the market for a product that's already intended for their larger Japanese fanbase to include English-speakers willing to import.

EDIT: I used the contact information provided to send Bandai Visual my proposal.

They don't care. They aren't going to add subs. Stop wasting your time.

I already contacted them, and I don't feel my time was wasted. Stop being a negative nancy.

agreed, takes like 2 min of your time and who knows, if enough people take the time to do this, bandai will figure out that they have another franchise that people care about other than gundam.