Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see a single person during the entire fight between Isamu and Guld in Macross Plus. Not surprising, since virtually everyone would be at the concert/armistice ceremony. Personally, I would think the damage Sharon Apple caused, firing the weapons of the Macross into a populated area, would be many times greater a concern than perhaps the few cleaning people that were hurt when Guld smashed through a commercial skyscraper after hours.

*At most, they'd waive his stealing and destruction of UN Spacy property. A city full of killed and injured (from the fight with Guld)? You can't hide that, and too many people would be upset. ... Yes, Millard can cover some things, but remember, he also sent Guld to kill Isamu. He'd have been in hot water for the ensuing death and destruction as well.

That's the point I always bring up in Mac+ discussions and I get shouted down - "LOL JUST LOOK AT TEH ANIMATION< DUDE!"

Yeah the animation is great in mac+ but the story especially the ending makes little sense. I hadn't seen the first part of the finale until I got the discs last year. I always assumed Isamu went to earth to save Myung/Fight Sharon. I was gobsmacked when I learned that his motivation was losing his job. Well boohoo. You'd think a Tom Cruise like him would be used to getting canned. The fact he arrives in time to save Myung is incidental. WTF? I know Japan is a distinct culture but I've seen enough Japanese film to know they expect their story's to have a beginning, middle and end that hang together. That the characters have motivations. That someone does something decisive at the climax of the story - not that he just happens to be there having a pissing contest with his rival from high school.

The fact that it was remade as a movie and still doesn't make narrative sense floors me.

This has nothing to do with Macross: Frontier does it?

it doesn't have anything to do with frontier, but I think you missed the point with why isamu takes off to earth. It's not because he lost his job, but that he views an AI plane as something that is taking away his right to fly. For isamu, flying is an extension of his being, it's clearly the only thing he really loves. It's not a boo hoo, you took my job, it's an F U for for taking away our wings. The whole narrative of Macross Plus is about isamu growing up and learning to care beyond himself, which he does by going in to save myung instead of going out in a blaze of glory taking out the ghost.

Anyways, this is a similar theme that runs through-out macross. Minmei goes through a similar character arc, as does shin. Maybe we'll see something similar in frontier.

Kawamori does have a nag to leave open ending, like the Megaroad01 destiny, Isamu's fate, the love triangle between Mylene, Gamlin and Basara and the allmighty WTF happened with shin and what does this ending means... hahaha

oh my... please tie everything up for Frontier...

I know Japan is a distinct culture but I've seen enough Japanese film to know they expect their story's to have a beginning, middle and end that hang together. That the characters have motivations. That someone does something decisive at the climax of the story - not that he just happens to be there having a pissing contest with his rival from high school.

No dude, an appreciation for a proper story is not culturally bound, it's universal...

It's just that here we've become too accustomed to crap on TV and in the theaters and because of that, we end up having to celebrate mediocrity. Then the masses too often overlook the real gems that are being made.

There is a reason why cable and indie films tend to draw bigger crowds and critical acclaim, less overpaid executives at the top interfering in things they have no clue about, trying to justify their rediculous paychecks.

If anyone even has a lo-res version, could you point me the way? I'm working up a 25th Anniv. wallpaper...

I'll do a scan of my 25th Anniverery sticker, but it will have to be when I'm back in the office on Monday, as my home scanner has decided to die on me.

Graham

i always assumed what many have said: Isamu got off the hook because he saved everybody. No one was killed by him because they were all at the Sharon concert; the city is quite clearly deserted as he and Guld fly though. In fact if Sharon did anything to all of the recording equipemtn, it would mean that only the FDR's of 19 and 21 would even tell people what had occoured between them, and there is every chance that only Isamus survived. If that was kept quiet, then who knows what happeend to those buildings? Probably something from teh Sahron Apple concert ;) Who can say?

I doubt the city was deserted. I mean they ran/slid/glided through some boulevards, and an intersection or two, all while stepping on cars and busses. I just figure it was cheaper to animate the battle sequences without having a buttload of extra moving things to handle in the background, like cars and little squishy people. :lol:

As for Isamu getting off the hook. I figure he got in deep trouble, but not buried up to his neck in s$%t due to saving the day. I'm willing to bet that UN Spacy covered up a lot of stuff. Hell, they could have written off the YF-21 as having been stolen by Anti-UN Spacy forces, with the 19 sent to intercept.

well...the thing is, that we don't know if the city Isamu and Guld tore up was Macross city or say, another city elsewhere since the macross is nowhere in sight and Isamu had to travel a bit to get to the Macross after going to 'save' Myung, we can also account the amount of time it took the X-9 to engage the YF-19 and YF-21 since it also took a while to get from being launch and getting to where they were

but Sharon did managed to control the entire UN Spacy military since she was capable of activation the space platform defense, so she could have just managed to broadcast her signal all over the world and put everyone in trance

still... they must have at least killed an admiral pet or something

Plus is ancient history. This topic is supposed to be about the NEW upcoming Macross series so how about sticking to that please :mellow:

I'm sure you can open a new topic if you want to rehash Plus for the umpteenth millionth time <_<

Who would need to maintain it and why?

Eventually someone is going to turn it off or it will suffer a catastrophic breakdown, and then what? You have an army of former PC and Zentreadi who are the mortal enemies of the entire Zentreadi armed forces that number in the billions. What do you do now?

Who would maintain it? The SA themselves , as the Varuta where shown to do in 7. Considering the level of technology in general, it's doubtful it would've brokendow anymore than the other PC/PD tech

If you are a clever general you may choose to deify the PD in order to maintain some sort of unit cohesion and turn a genocidal situation into a holy quest, then over time the lie becomes the truth for many as the progenitors of the idea have since died off taking the truth with them.

More likely, any awakened PC would asses the situation, and realize their war was over. Then try to rebuild their sciety. Not go off looking for more fights.

Granted they could just as easily go the other direction and be the misunderstood enemy who are just fighting to stay alive amidst a relentless onslaught of Zentreadi attacks.

At the time the bulk of the Zentradi would be "cultured", and no threat.

The Marduk's religion was their culture which asserted "Superior culture and galactic order through conquest" which was more a two dimensional motivation for them to attack the Earth rather than a well researched reason.

Unlikely, as their rogue Zentreadi armys would be the greater threat if one compares the two.

They would have an endless military, either by design or necessity. They are in a galactic war that has lasted for eons against a foe who doesn't give up.

If they indeed did wake up and found themselves in a war of survival, it would also answer the speculated question as to why they didn't return to assist the PD when they awoke (assuming a call was sent out by the PD at all).

The PD had no reason to not release the SA, doesn't make sense to leve them roaming after 7.

Actually, I saw the DVD for sale in the local Wal-Mart a few days ago...

Boy, the temptation to buy it was great. Only $1.99...

I have never been more disgusted with you now than ever before. YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOUR OWN SPACE GUNDAM V COPY AND YOU PASSED IT UP?! :angry: Get the %^ off my internet, buy that thing and torrent it for the rest of us! For great justice!

I'll do a scan of my 25th Anniverery sticker, but it will have to be when I'm back in the office on Monday, as my home scanner has decided to die on me.

Graham

Cool. I will look forward to it. Plan B was to take the 30 year armistice sign from M+ and drop it down to 25.

Thanks!

Actually, I saw the DVD for sale in the local Wal-Mart a few days ago...

Boy, the temptation to buy it was great. Only $1.99...

All I found at my Wal-Mart was "Space Transformers," which was NOT Space Gandam V.

Graham

Let's all pause this moment to observe the passing of Graham's scanner............................................................., OK that's good.

Who would maintain it? The SA themselves , as the Varuta where shown to do in 7. Considering the level of technology in general, it's doubtful it would've brokendow anymore than the other PC/PD tech

Where were the Varuata shown how to maintain the equipment? I would assume Gigile would maintain such a sensitive piece of equipment.

More likely, any awakened PC would asses the situation, and realize their war was over. Then try to rebuild their sciety. Not go off looking for more fights.

I didn't say they went "looking" for a fight, the fight would be brought to them by the Zentreadi who had no reason to stop attacking them.

At the time the bulk of the Zentradi would be "cultured", and no threat.

Huh? It has not been established when an event like the wearing off of the mind control would take place and even by 2045 only a small fraction of the billions of Zentreadi roaming the galaxy would have become "cultured".

The PD had no reason to not release the SA, doesn't make sense to leve them roaming after 7.

Again, we don't know what they did after they left, except they released the Varuata and left the galaxy with their new found ability of self sustinance. It is equally plausible that when / if they didn't get a response from the SA at their awakening, they assumed they were wiped out and moved on.

Which is why the idea of finally meeting the SA as a misunderstood enemy fighting for its very existence is so appealing to me.

Zinjo, obviously you and Keith need to discuss M7 on a different thread because this thread is about Macross 25/F/Frontier and the 25th Anniversary related events.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE DISCUSSION OF TOPICS PERTAINING TO SUPER DIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS, SUPER DIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS: DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE, FLASHBACK 2012, MACROSS II, MACROSS PLUS, MACROSS 7, MACROSS DYNAMITE 7, OR MACROSS ZERO.

Talking about some Macross show being on cable next week because of the 25th anniversary or what Graham picked up from the 25th anniversary concert is ok. Talking about what the Protodevlin ate for lunch last week just because someone mentioned "space monsters" is not. Next person to drive this thread off-topic will be banned until the premiere of Macross Frontier. Start a new thread but don't be talking about some other Macross show here.

Is it possible to order these 25th anniversary t-shirts?

I feel bad that I'm still too young to fly over and couldn't go to the concert, I want to at least have some sort of memorabilia about it. :(

But seriously anyway we can buy it?

Is it possible to order these 25th anniversary t-shirts?

I feel bad that I'm still too young to fly over and couldn't go to the concert, I want to at least have some sort of memorabilia about it. :(

But seriously anyway we can buy it?

Only 500 of each were made apparently, so unless someone is willing to sell you an extra one, you may be out of luck. Though I am surprised no one has one in the works from these boards!!

Yellowlighman did and amazing job with the Mac Plus T-shirts he did and I'd be satisfied with a simple anniversary logo on the front with the the dates on the back or vice versa....

Give us a video!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Out of curiousity, have there been any reports (or are we still in awe) about what Megumi Nakajima's singing voice sounds like? She sung "Voices" at the concert but nothing about how well she sung it or what she sounded like?

aaaand, Megumi Nakajima's "media" section is open... with this text:

MAGAZINE

09/10(月)『Newtype』

I really hope it's a decent review of the concert and trailer... and not an article that is posted in the last pages of the magazine with a tiny image that everybody has already seen elsewhere <_<

There are 2 updates on the Official website, one looks like a report of the concert and another one related to Macross F... still NO VIDEO :angry:

Yes, old news~~~

But on Megumi's Official Website, there is a update about her.

http://www.nakajimamegumi.com/media/

It is only write "09/10(月)『Newtype』" and "MEDIA UP"

what's mean?

SORRY, I do not know...