Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

It's doubtful Max would command another emigration fleet. I suspect he'd be the governor of whatever world they ended up settling on, a retired Admiral or both, with Millia the world's representative on Earth.

Age in space is not the same as on Earth. All the characters who spend most of their lives in space will look and feel a lot younger than their ages. Max may be pushing 80, but he'd likely have the body of a man 20 years younger due to it not being exposed to the same environments of Earth folk.

Gamlin could be commanding the fleet, but I doubt he'd land Mylene. He has become more of a close friend to her and her family than a love interest, though it would be funny if he married one of her sisters...

Bringing back Shin and Sara in an AFOS based threat would definitely be a cool premise. It would also stay within the theme of how the PC became too powerful for their own good, which seems to be a common thread in the Macross productions of late.

Though, I believe it is time to finally reveal the Supervision Army, or even a portion of it. I like to believe that the only reason why they survived over the millennia is because they could still use the remnants of the PC weaponry, thus giving them an edge over the superior numbers of the Zentreadi. Therefore the "space monsters" are in fact bio-engineered AFOS units piloted by the SA.

It's gonna be interesting to be sure...

I'd like to know a bit more about this.

Translating the site in japanese doesn't help either. :(

Animax is a cable anime channel here in Japan. For 24 hours they are running the most popular 27 shows out of the "Anison Best 500".

Why Flashback 2012? Doesn't say. My guess is that it is the shortest of all the Macross releases (as in, there are no following episodes, parts, chapters, and as a stand alone, it is shorter than the movie, DYRL.)

Edited by sketchley

I don't think there's anything to read into, concering the ages of the characters I mean. I think it's just a clever way for the creators of Macross to denote passage of time.

I find myself curious about the characters again after seeing each age listed. Particularly Isamu and Myung from Macross Plus and Gamlin from Macross 7. I wonder how they turned out.

Isamu is maybe retiring from the UN Spacy about now. Maybe Myung is having a producing renaissiance, probably promoting the next big thing in popular music. Or perhaps things went downhill for Isamu; maybe he's on his third marriage or something. And as messed up as Myung is, it wouldn't be a stretch to see her in an abusive relationship with some Zentradi fella :)

I can't see Gamlin married to Mylene. Yes, he grew as a person with Mylene and she mellowed him, but they have zero in common. My guess is Gamlin might have married an older woman; latent sexual attraction for a professional female, something he would have experienced during his formative years under Milia. I mean, who wouldn't? Perhaps he became a captain or even a flight center trainer like Milia. Or maybe he met his end, shot down by friendly fire in a training accident in orbit of some new colony. :)

Age in space is not the same as on Earth. All the characters who spend most of their lives in space will look and feel a lot younger than their ages. Max may be pushing 80, but he'd likely have the body of a man 20 years younger due to it not being exposed to the same environments of Earth folk.

Also, with space folding and relativistic effects of being near a giant black hole (if they survive), there is still possibility that we could see members of the original colonization fleets at ages not much older than when they left earth. That's what I hope, anyways.

Also, with space folding and relativistic effects of being near a giant black hole (if they survive), there is still possibility that we could see members of the original colonization fleets at ages not much older than when they left earth. That's what I hope, anyways.

Or it's even possible because of the large scale cloning that the Max and Millia we saw on Macross 7 are not the originals...but lets not go there!

I think we can all agree Gamlin as a fleet captain would be freakin' awesome.

Not really, he was just an OK guy, nothing special about him. The only thing memerable he did for me was make the fat pervert do situps and the skinny one push.

I'd say I'd like to see Isamu but then it'd probably be M7 sillyness all over again. Unless the story has a previous character as lead, I've seen enough of them as supporting cast. Although it might be funny to see the ghost of Focker or Kakizaki tormenting the main character like in Highlander: Vengance. ^_^

With the Protodevelin gone, would the SA even have a purpose to fight? Or better yet, what if the remants of the SA woke up to their original selves....

That's just it - they'd have no limiter or counter in the Zentraedi with how the UN Spacey has been fighting them (although there is still a bunch of them). I'd be interesting to see how they handle it when "culture" is unlikely to be a main weapon.

I certainly hope there won't be anything stupid like the Megaroad 01 got sucked through a black hole, went back in time and they became the protoculture. Or worse, the space time shift is causing the MII universe to merge with the cannon Macross universe. Ick.

I certainly hope there won't be anything stupid like the Megaroad 01 got sucked through a black hole, went back in time and they became the protoculture. Or worse, the space time shift is causing the MII universe to merge with the cannon Macross universe. Ick.

oh god... that sounds like a plot right out of star trek voyager. In my mind, I chose to believe that the megaroad found a nice planet and they settled down, misa and hikaru built a house with a nice fence and had babies and raised border collies.

oh god... that sounds like a plot right out of star trek voyager. In my mind, I chose to believe that the megaroad found a nice planet and they settled down, misa and hikaru built a house with a nice fence and had babies and raised border collies.

No it was actually the running idea for the next Robotech series in the '80s

In my mind, I chose to believe that the megaroad found a nice planet and they settled down, misa and hikaru built a house with a nice fence and had babies and raised border collies.

You mean 'space' border collies. Oh wait, this isn't Voltron.

I've always thought the Megaroad would have been a good basis for an entire series as they travel the universe populating planets and fighting space-crime.

With the Protodevelin gone, would the SA even have a purpose to fight? Or better yet, what if the remants of the SA woke up to their original selves....

With them not being rallied there is no way for them to know the PD are no longer imprisoned and have moved on?

How is it that the mind control would perpetually continue "after" the PD imprisonment? One could reasonably conclude that eventually it would wear off...

I tend to believe that the SA have found different ways to justify their continued war with the Zentreadi.

Maybe they've elevated the PD into gods that they worship, which is possible with multi-generational personnel who would never have seen an actual PD in person? Their war would become a "holy" one, based on a religion with ancient records and legends describing how their enemies have imprisoned their gods.

When an ancient war's original purpose is lost and it becomes based on a religion, all sensible reason tends to get thrown out the window. Thus if that is the actual case, the SA would become even more dangerous than they ever were under the PD.

Edited by Zinjo

Dude, please a post a hi res scan of the 25th Anniversary logo for the group...

It would be greatly appreciated.... B))

thanks

If anyone even has a lo-res version, could you point me the way? I'm working up a 25th Anniv. wallpaper...

With them not being rallied there is no way for them to know the PD are no longer imprisoned and have moved on?

How is it that the mind control would perpetually continue "after" the PD imprisonment? One could reasonably conclude that eventually it would wear off...

I tend to believe that the SA have found different ways to justify their continued war with the Zentreadi.

Maybe they've elevated the PD into gods that they worship, which is possible with multi-generational personnel who would never have seen an actual PD in person? Their war would become a "holy" one, based on a religion with ancient records and legends describing how their enemies have imprisoned their gods.

When an ancient war's original purpose is lost and it becomes based on a religion, all sensible reason tends to get thrown out the window. Thus if that is the actual case, the SA would become even more dangerous than they ever were under the PD.

Assuming the same technology was used on the Protoculture as was used on the Varuta Expedition fleet, it's doubtful it would simply "war off" so to speak. All they would need to do is keep maintaining it. Besides which, if it simply "wore off" they would no longer be the SA, they would return back to being normal Protoculture citizens. It's doubtful that Protoculture would choose to worship the PD, though I suppose anything is possible. What you're basically pointing towards, is something much closer to the Marduk, and that quite ismply has been done.

I was actually hinting more towards the possablility of them re-awakening to their original Protoculture selves, and possibly seeing Earth as some kind of threat in the galaxy.

I actually really like this idea.

It really would make no sense the SA would be still under 'mind control' tens of thousands of years after the PD were imprisoned (i'm pretty sure people of PC blood didn't live that long).

Damn, I wish I coulda gone to that event :(

Damn Damn Damn!!! :(

So I guess no one else from MW went either huh?

Did YK perform? How long did the concert last?

Do you guys suspect they will release the concert on DVD at some point?

Oh yeah...

Hi Save. Who is that in your avatar? :)

Isamu is maybe retiring from the UN Spacy about now.

Didn't he get tossed into jail? I know how Macross Plus ends, but that's a rather romantic ending and doesn't have any of the consequences (for example, an unpowered SDF-1 crashing back to Earth would cause a minor earthquake, not to mention a tsunami, among other things.)

EDITED for clarity

Edited by sketchley

Horatio Jackson: Ah, the officer who risked his life by singlehandedly destroying...

Functionary: [whispering in his ear] Six.

Horatio Jackson: ...*six* enemy cannon and rescuing...

Functionary: Ten.

Horatio Jackson: ...ten of our men help captive by The Turk.

Heroic Officer: Yes, sir.

Horatio Jackson: The officer about whom we've heard so much.

Heroic Officer: I suppose so, sir.

Horatio Jackson: Always taking risks far beyond the call of duty.

Heroic Officer: I only did my best, sir.

Horatio Jackson: Have him executed at once. This sort of behavior is demoralizing for the ordinary soldiers and citizens who are trying to lead normal, simple, unexceptional lives. I think things are difficult enough as it is without these emotional people rocking the boat.

Didn't he get tossed into jail? I know how Macross Plus ends, but that's a rather romantic ending and doesn't have any of the consequences (for example, an unpowered SDF-1 crashing back to Earth would cause a minor earthquake, not to mention a tsunami, among other things.)

EDITED for clarity

Given the end result, there's no way any jury would convict Isamu, unless you stacked it with Protodeviln.

Stealing a VF, blowing up satellites, significant collateral damage (and potentially huge loss of civilian life), and destruction of UN Spacy property and equipment. Plus the UN Spacy, once they figured things out, could've fired a shot from orbit to destroy the computer inside of the SDF-1.

I certainly hope that the UN Spacy is smart enough to not make a hero out of someone who steals planes and shoots at his best friend with bullets and missiles inside of a densely populated area.

Again, the way Macross Plus ends is a romanticized version of reality.

Stealing a VF, blowing up satellites, significant collateral damage (and potentially huge loss of civilian life), and destruction of UN Spacy property and equipment. Plus the UN Spacy, once they figured things out, could've fired a shot from orbit to destroy the computer inside of the SDF-1.

I certainly hope that the UN Spacy is smart enough to not make a hero out of someone who steals planes and shoots at his best friend with bullets and missiles inside of a densely populated area.

Again, the way Macross Plus ends is a romanticized version of reality.

Things couldn't have gone too poorly for Isamu, or they wouldn't have selected the YF-19. Maybe a symbolic slap on the wrist, like Kirk got when they demoted him from Admiral in the movies.

Edited by mikeszekely

Stopping the illegally implanted bio-neural chip in a military fighter, exposing the illegal activities of a high ranking UN military general and captain, preventing the SDF-1 Macross from being stolen, saving the Planet Earth from being mind controlled by a rogue, illegally operating AI and is responsible for the ONLY positive outcome in the entire "Sharon Apple Incident."

There is no way such a blatantly public internal security failure would stem the tide of a witch hunt WITHOUT a hero to help save face for the military. Public outcry for the Sharon Apple Incident is pointed straight at those responsible for Sharon Apple and the Ghost fighter, being General Gomez, Captain Higgins and the Macross Consortium. And thanks to Sharon Apple directly mind controlling every citizen of Macross City, they all KNOW she/it was responsible, not Isamu. So blaming him or creating some elaborate whitewash wouldn't save the UNG or the UN Forces.

Again, whatever Isamu's initial intentions, no jury would convict him...if it even got that far. And his intentions are ultimately irrelevant given that Sharon Apple and the Ghost fighter were both illegal activities from the start. Even though Isamu was unaware of the bio-neural plot, luck was on his side when the whole event played out. Like he said, luck is one of his skills :)

At best Isamu is pardoned of all crimes and serves out his days in the military away from the public spotlight.

At worst Isamu is quietly shown the door from the military, but never sees the inside of any court room.

Edited by Mr March

I actually really like this idea.

It really would make no sense the SA would be still under 'mind control' tens of thousands of years after the PD were imprisoned (i'm pretty sure people of PC blood didn't live that long).

Why not? however they purpetuated themselves, all they'd have to do is maintain the control technology, and they'd have and endless military

the developemente of the X-9 Ghost was illegal??? how come?? wasn't it just a secret project?¿ and what high ranking military personal were involved??

they could blame Isamu from all the collateral with him fighting Guld before the X-9 engaged cause by that time the Sharon Apple thing hadn't gotten involved in their little fight, but since the whole city was already in Sharon's hipnotic effect, there could be no evidence of this and could be tagged as collateral against the X-9

but remember that Millard said that he would cover for him this time since they did for him when he was young, maybe Millard could had covered by saying they realized what Sharon's AI was going to to and send their most advanced fighter to deal since he knew current fighter had no chance against it

anyway! back on topic, anyone think the new Macross series could have more mind control in their story

SDF-1 macross - featured, sorta brainwashed zentradi that could only do war

Macross II - mind contolled zentradi by the marduk

Macross plus - mind control by sharon

Macross 7 - mind control by the PD

Macross Zero - errr....mind controlled Sara by evil huge flower opera singing nuclear weapon eating AFOS??? ; evil kadun war projection

Assuming the same technology was used on the Protoculture as was used on the Varuta Expedition fleet, it's doubtful it would simply "war off" so to speak. All they would need to do is keep maintaining it. Besides which, if it simply "wore off" they would no longer be the SA, they would return back to being normal Protoculture citizens. It's doubtful that Protoculture would choose to worship the PD, though I suppose anything is possible. What you're basically pointing towards, is something much closer to the Marduk, and that quite ismply has been done.

Who would need to maintain it and why?

Eventually someone is going to turn it off or it will suffer a catastrophic breakdown, and then what? You have an army of former PC and Zentreadi who are the mortal enemies of the entire Zentreadi armed forces that number in the billions. What do you do now?

If you are a clever general you may choose to deify the PD in order to maintain some sort of unit cohesion and turn a genocidal situation into a holy quest, then over time the lie becomes the truth for many as the progenitors of the idea have since died off taking the truth with them.

Granted they could just as easily go the other direction and be the misunderstood enemy who are just fighting to stay alive amidst a relentless onslaught of Zentreadi attacks.

The Marduk's religion was their culture which asserted "Superior culture and galactic order through conquest" which was more a two dimensional motivation for them to attack the Earth rather than a well researched reason.

I was actually hinting more towards the possablility of them re-awakening to their original Protoculture selves, and possibly seeing Earth as some kind of threat in the galaxy.

Unlikely, as their rogue Zentreadi armys would be the greater threat if one compares the two.

Why not? however they purpetuated themselves, all they'd have to do is maintain the control technology, and they'd have and endless military

They would have an endless military, either by design or necessity. They are in a galactic war that has lasted for eons against a foe who doesn't give up.

If they indeed did wake up and found themselves in a war of survival, it would also answer the speculated question as to why they didn't return to assist the PD when they awoke (assuming a call was sent out by the PD at all).

Edited by Zinjo

The bio-neural chip used in the Ghost X-9's AI systems is banned, thus the use of it made the development of the Ghost X-9 illegal in turn. Also, in Isamu's case, he has more or less two witnesses, Yang and Myung, the former of which found out that Sharon was controlling the rogue Ghost X-9 prior to mind control and the latter aware that Sharon was mind-controlling people. Also, investigation on Sharon would have given them enough leverage to see that something went down, since they have testimony from three people as well as material evidence from both the Ghost X-9 and Sharon's remains.

Also, Millard probably wouldn't even know what Sharon was going to do, as he has little information pointing to it. He knew one thing though, that Isamu was going to destroy the Ghost X-9. When he said he'd cover him, its because he understands what Isamu's going through, because at one point, he was in Isamu's shoes too. That he probably didn't like the idea of the Ghost X-9 might also help that too.

the developemente of the X-9 Ghost was illegal??? how come?? wasn't it just a secret project?¿ and what high ranking military personal were involved??

The so called "breakthrough" the military made in A.I. was the installation of the bio-neural chip in the Ghost fighter, an illegal technology. Marj Gueldoa of the Macross Consortium and Captain Higgins of the UNS were in league with each other and kept things as secret as they could when they were speaking in mixed company (in front of a very worried Reymond Marley). This also leads into the earlier dismissal of the "live ammunition" incident by none other than General Gomez. Gomez knew the X-9 Ghost development was imminent, so he let the Super Nova AVF continue and the pilots go unpunished, since whatever they did was ultimately irrelevant. The Super Nova project would eventually be scrapped, so he let them all fumble about unknowingly. They could only guess what his motive were (as Guld asked Millard), until the Ghost was finally revealed and Super Nova was canceled.

Edited by Mr March

Yep, it would be great to see Gamlin back. He's probably my all time favorite male Macross character. Heh, wonder if he would be married to Mylene.

Graham

So, the toys are obviously your specialty... :p

Things couldn't have gone too poorly for Isamu, or they wouldn't have selected the YF-19. Maybe a symbolic slap on the wrist, like Kirk got when they demoted him from Admiral in the movies.

Let's keep the decision out of Isamu's court martial and imprisonment discussion.* The fact that the Ghost was defeated by a manned fighter says a lot. The rest of the finale of Macross Plus has nothing to do with the decision. It was shown earlier in the testing phase that the YF-21's pilot interface was faulty, and that the VF-19 was better in whatever they were checking for in checks A through I.

*At most, they'd waive his stealing and destruction of UN Spacy property. A city full of killed and injured (from the fight with Guld)? You can't hide that, and too many people would be upset. It'd be like saying the guy who stole a tank and did a rampage through LA is innocent of all death and destruction, because he drove over a van full of terrorists that the FBI and CIA were aware of. Yes, Millard can cover some things, but remember, he also sent Guld to kill Isamu. He'd have been in hot water for the ensuing death and destruction as well.

Edited by sketchley