Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

"Macross F (tentative)" is set in around 2070A.D.. F denotes "Frontier"; "Frontier" stands for the migration fleet which is the setting of the story. The story is about the fleet's encounters with space monsters (or things to that effect) while on its course.

This has me a bit worried. I really really really hope it's not a 'monster of the week' kind of deal.

This new information is basically a non-reaction for me. I recall people describing "The Fifth Element" as Star Wars for the 90's. People are simply clueless. Something like Macross Frontier, I have to see first hand to get a sense of it.

I'm with March, I need to actually see it before I'll comment. The blog postings sound vague.

This year has given us Gurren Lagann. A simple and really fun mecha show that actually has a good story so my needs for a mecha series this year are filled (I even have some quality mecha show waiting to be seen). In other words, I couldn't care less about the new Macross (save for my Macross fan curiosity, of course :D ).

-Turns out Kawamori can finally write something not as rock bottom in story terms as M0 or +: great.

-Turns out it's another "there were some good ideas floating there but not a wordsmith to put them in a worthwhile manner”: who cares, at least, as Keith put it, 20 years of technical evolution can give us cool looking NEW valks!

That and Kawamori can sure direct a kick ass dogfight like the ones in + and 0. One can just skip the shallow blah, blah and enjoy eye candy.

Edited by Twoducks

Macross TV series (note, not OVA's) have always maintained the interpersonal human relationships during wartime, the only places that's faltered were Plus & Zero. And that's due to the restraints of only having 4 episodes of time to work with. 7 never relied on a Minmay defense posture, and if anything, evolved the concept into something far more viable. I expect the new series to do that same.

Space monsters is super vague, but considering anything "like" the Protodevelin is entirely ruled out (no longer any reason why they'd bother attacking), rogue Zentradi wouldn't have teh technology to make such things, and even if they did, there wouldn't be much purpose. My guess, either another leftover Protoculture super weapon got out & went out of hand, kinda like the Buster Corps in Diebuster, or some other remnant has decided to take on humanity. Either way, I don't see how a new bioweapon type threat couldn't tie back into the Protoculture. Hell, maybe the AFOS went for backup.

I honestly think you have that in reverse. Mac Plus and even Mac Zero's characters had actual motivations and their personal relationships or lack of, heavily influenced their actions and their moral codes. M7 featured a guy who didn't care at all about what people thought about him and flew around in a bright red valk shooting missiles that turned into speakers. Macross 7 is very much in the vein of Macross II and it's minmei attack cheesiness. The supporting characters, even max and millia were little more than cardboard cutouts with the barest of motivations. Heck, even the stalker girl in white following around basara has as much motivation as half the cast of macross 7 and all she does is stand there.

Totally dissagree. The Macross Plus's motivations were centered around one specific event, i.e. Isamu got Myung, and Guld couldn't cope with it. Without that, none of the events in Plus would have taken place. Besides which, I can hardly see how you can call Basara's motivations shallow when he & Isamu are essentially the same character. Difference being, one has no qualms killing.

As for the Minmay Attack, it was simply a culture shock on the Zentradi/Marduk, while what Basara/Firebomber does is the exact opposite. Instead of trying to rely on a culture shock + missile payload, they actually reach out & try to communicate (through music) their feelings. Hardly the same thing as Macross II. Hell, Plus basically set the groundwork up for it, by stripping the culture shock down to its basic parts, with Sharon Apples attempts at hypnotizing, proving ultimately how & why it won't work.

Most likely, the new series will show this refined even further, although it may start out with a Jamming Birds esque attempt that evolves into something more. Another nice thing, by all indications, we'll get a female lead character finally. I'm a little scared to see how big a Macross Galaxy class colonization ship would be though, considering how huge the New Macross class were.

Edited by Keith

I don't even mind the idea of some "space monster" just as long as it doesn't look like it came out of an episode of power rangers. The idea of an organic, space faring creature has been done pretty well in shows like star trek and babylon 5. for me, it's just a matter of how they approach it.

Well it depends on what they are describing as a "monster"?

If it's an ugly alien, that could be construed as a monster, not necessarily a giant in the Zentreadi or PD vein (I am hopeful) or it could be a squadron of AFOS roaming the galaxy carrying out their final orders of "destroy all combatants", by that time only a few military personel would be aware of the Mayan Island incident, having it being declassified only a decade before...

I suspect the whole time shift is going to figure prominently in the story, otherwise with the era that the show takes place in, it is pointless to release a retcon like that to the fanbase.

Although the emigration fleet setting seems to be in danger of becoming a cliche for Macross series, but it may be a coincidence.

The era also explains the mecha sketch we saw which had distinctive VF-22 derivative elements to it.

I am excited to see what Miyataki will come up with for capital ships though... B))

We'll see though. If history is any indication, the Macross 7 parody has already been done, so they prolly won't be going back there.

The other encouraging thing is that by the time the show airs Bandai Visual will be established enough to release it here. :D

It should be interesting and hopefully it will be a more dramatic story this time around, which is possible if they have plans to market it in the West, which is likely considering the potential profits this market promises.

Edited by Zinjo

At this point, I'd be surprised if they didn't :)

Considering the VF-22/19 will be of cannon fodder class, I wonder what kind of weapons newer variable fighters will have. Omnidirectional shields? Fold capability standard? Beam weapons standard? Will A.I. make a comeback? The possabilities are intriguing. BTW, do we have a comifrmation that it is indeed taking place in the 2070's? Some of the reports I'm reading just say 20XX.

Hmm, new whacked out theory. the aforementioned 'Space Monsters" are actually U.N. Spacy made attempts at backwards engineered PC technology gone awry.

Edited by Keith

At this point, I'd be surprised if they didn't :)

Considering the VF-22/19 will be of cannon fodder class, I wonder what kind of weapons newer variable fighters will have. Omnidirectional shields? Fold capability standard? Beam weapons standard? Will A.I. make a comeback?

Why go back to beam weaponry when the VF-4 with all it's beam weaponry was abandoned? A stable rail gunpod would have greater range, stopping power and use cheaper projectiles than any beam weapon.

Though the idea of limited use shields and short range fold engines, would be interesting.

Pulled these pics off 2ch:

These were apparently taken from the event.

Some words are cut off, but I'm pretty certain this should say "銀河歌姫来艦" (The Galaxy Songtress/Diva Comes Aboard). Probably debatable whether the green-haired girl is a fan (the blonde girl in the back being the singer) or the singer.

post-1643-1187515670_thumb.jpg

"A love story intertwining love, friendship, and a planet's destiny"

post-1643-1187515781_thumb.jpg

Valk image. Some posters on 2ch thinks this looks more like some sort of VF-1 variant tailored to the singer. (In which case, I think it would make more sense if this were some VF-5000 variant or later model)

post-1643-1187515853_thumb.jpg

The fleet

post-1643-1187515879_thumb.jpg

Edited by sebangoh87

Totally dissagree. The Macross Plus's motivations were centered around one specific event, i.e. Isamu got Myung, and Guld couldn't cope with it. Without that, none of the events in Plus would have taken place. Besides which, I can hardly see how you can call Basara's motivations shallow when he & Isamu are essentially the same character. Difference being, one has no qualms killing.

The OVA's were kinda short (and Plus didn't even take place during a war, so...)but I think they did their part well. They had their characters deal with the aftermath of an event, rather than during it like the last 9 eps. of the original series. Plus's is oblivous, Zero has more to do with how they're going to live with their survival mechanisms now that the war is dying off.

7 on the other hand had the characters far more relaxed in their common lives than they ever were in the original. And their stories were alot more silly in most cases, enough of comedy to enjoy but hard to take seriously. Nadesico is an example of what they should have strived for.

I hope we get to see some of the Supervision Army, but with the Protodevlin gone shouldn't they be as well?

I'll take one, thanks. You got anything to eat in there?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Nope. I'm broke from Yamato's latest offerings.....but I DO have tons of top ramen in the pantry.

*Sits back in my chair taking LONG swigs of beer*

070819mf01.jpg

070819mf02.jpg

Gawd!!

These two pics like Japanese Pretty Girl anime.

Why is it different from NewType early design??

070611nt05.jpg

I do not like it...

P.S.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

There is a detail from this pic.

I think the Galaxy Idol name is 雪露(Shery).

Because there is a character of S.

070819mf01.jpg

And there is one sentence about it in Macross Official BBS.

http://www.macross.co.jp/bbs/entry.cgi?mod...tree&no=702

sheryというアイドルも(The idol named Shery)

So, this girl is Shery, it is not Megumi's Ranca Lee!

Edited by kresphy

I'm really digging the city screenshot, and the fleet screenshot. The character design I've got mixed feelings on, but it's one partial picture nothing to come to any judgements on other than an initial ho-hum feeling towards the style. Of course, I've not much cared for a character design style in Macross except for when Mikimoto was doing them. And even then, I'm not always a fan of the actual costume design. We'll see.

I'm not digging the CG Valkyrie. Again, just one less than stellar screenshot to begin with, so nothing to rush to any judgements over, but it seems to fall somewhere between a low point such as Aquarion, and a high point such as the better CG in M0. Still in the "I'd rather see them hand drawn" category. However, if the character animation is decent, and the backgrounds all nice and detailed and good looking, and the designs themselves are solid, I'll be happy.

Overall I'm liking what I'm seeing. Here's hoping there's an actual video for us all to see sooner rather than later.

Of course, I'm heading to bed now, and might not have any time at all to check for updates between when I wake and when I run out the door to hop on an 11-hour train ride to visit family, so I might not even be able to check the forum until tomorrow night sometime. We'll see. Man, the anticipation. Can't wait.

I'm really digging the city screenshot

Same, looks DYRL-ish, packed with detail. Of course could just be nothing like what the actual series animation turns out like.

Promotional animation would be on par with the quality of opening animation I guess?