Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

From http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=47

Macross F (Frontier) - tentative title

Original Work/Story Composition/Chief Director/Mechanical Designer: Shoji Kawamori (Macross, Aquarion, Arjuna)

Director: Yasuhito Kikuchi (Aquarion)

Series Composition: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Mai HiME, Code Geass)

Character Design: Mikan Ehime* (Gravion Zwei, Prism Ark) /Yuuichi Takahashi (Aquarion episode animation direction)

Animation Production: Satelight

* It appears that Mikan Ehime changed her name recently and is now credited as 江端里沙

Yoko Kanno is most likely composing along with another composer (like in Aquarion). It is a TV series, set after Macross 7, and features two Macrosses - Macross Frontier and Macross Galaxy. Attendees of the Live Concert describe the trailer as a Macross 7 feel with visuals of Aquarion and Macross Zero.

The lead chosen out of 5000 hopefuls in the audition is Megumi Nakajima. She will play the role of 18 year old Lanka Lee.

http://www.nakajimamegumi.com

I never bothered with aquarion, but I didn't think the animation quality was bad, it looked nice and clean... certainly better than the washed out, grainy mess that is M7.

Looking good /= good anime.

Could someone please translate the Japanese text? I'd rather we not go through "lost in translation" syndrome by translating from Japanese to Chinese to whatever.

-Whoa, 5000 people applied for the job...That's a big pool.

-2070... :lol: 2045+25 = 2070...... :lol: cute....

Looking good /= good anime.

meh, macross and aquarion are different sub genres... so I'm not going to get all depressed over satelight's involvment. Like spaceace2012, I'll wait until I see something with my own eyes before i jump on the everything sucks bandwagon.

Being one of those who actually enjoyed M7, I'm not bothered by the comparison. On the other hand, the visuals I saw from the episode or two of Aquarion I watched were pretty bad on the CG side of things. Visuals looking like both Aquarion and Macross Zero? That's just odd, because the difference in quality I saw between M0 and what I saw of Aquarion were night and day. And the styles were not at all similar, either. I'm guessing either the visual quality of Aquarion jumped way up past the episodes I saw, or chalk it up to people seeing CG and their ability to discern quality stopping right about there. The context seems positive, though, so I'm, still eagerly awaiting this trailer.

You'd think that in this day and age, there would be a fancam of the trailer up on YouTube by now.

This new information is basically a non-reaction for me. I recall people describing "The Fifth Element" as Star Wars for the 90's. People are simply clueless. Something like Macross Frontier, I have to see first hand to get a sense of it.

I gotta see it first. That's the only way to get a real sense of it. I'm simply too close to Macross as a fan and I know too much that will send me guessing in a thousand different directions. I'd be happy with GITS:SAC animation too; more than happy. Thrilled. But I have to see this trailer first.

The Macross 7 comparison doesn't even bother me. SDF Macross is 25 years old; most anime fans (if they've even seen ANY Macross) only have Macross 7 in their minds as a basis for comparison. Of course the next series is going to FEEL like Macross 7. That's pretty much the only Macross these 15 year olds know :)

Could someone please translate the Japanese text? I'd rather we not go through "lost in translation" syndrome by translating from Japanese to Chinese to whatever.

-Whoa, 5000 people applied for the job...That's a big pool.

-2070... :lol: 2045+25 = 2070...... :lol: cute....

Here is the translation of http://www.animate.tv/nf/detail.php?id=0000001903

Macross - The new songstress is the (equivalent of Grade 12) 3rd year Senior High student, Nakajima Megumi

At the Macross 25th Anniversary Live "Minmay meets Fire Bomber", held on the 18th (Saturday) at the Nippon Seinenkan (Japan Youth Hall), it was announced that Nakajima Megumi (pronunciation provided) will take on the role of the new songtress "Lanka Li" in the planned "Macross F (tentative)".

Miss Nakajima is a 3rd year Senior High student born in the Heisei era and she commented that at the time the announcement was made regarding her being selected for the role, "My manager was speaking softly on the phone, at first I thought I didn't make it. For a week, I couldn't believe it." At the same time, serving as the venue for announcing the "New Macross" songstress chosen from 5000 candidates in the large scale audition, the hall welcomed her with cheers. As the songs for the new program have yet to be written, Miss Nakajima sang the "Macross Plus" theme song, "Voices" (Original singer: Arai Akino) before the sold out hall, and calmly showed a glimpse of her talent.

"Macross F (tentative)" is set in around 2070A.D.. F denotes "Frontier"; "Frontier" stands for the migration fleet which is the setting of the story. The story is about the fleet's encounters with space monsters (or things to that effect) while on its course. It is planned to be a TV series with Kanno Youko handling music, Kikuchi Kouji as director, Kawamori Shouji as general director. An approx. 2 min. video was shown for the fans, who were hungry for more.

Edited by sebangoh87

I gotta see it first. That's the only way to get a real sense of it. I'm simply too close to Macross as a fan and I know too much that will send me guessing in a thousand different directions. I'd be happy with GITS:SAC animation too; more than happy. Thrilled. But I have to see this trailer first.

The Macross 7 comparison doesn't even bother me. SDF Macross is 25 years old; most anime fans (if they've even seen ANY Macross) only have Macross 7 in their minds as a basis for comparison. Of course the next series is going to FEEL like Macross 7. That's pretty much the only Macross these 15 year olds know :)

THe funny thing is, both my brother and I grew up with Macross. I love it, he hates it... but he watched Macross 7 too... and to him, both the original series and 7 were about people fighting monsters with alot of ridiculous singing scenes... I guess in a way, he does have a point. To me, the announcement means I will be getting more of what I love about Macross: the mecha, and ridiculous people singing while fighting's going on :p

To hell with you naysayers, I'm quite happy so far. Though I can't help but wonder if a 40 year old Basara will wander in somehwere... Taking Macross up another 20 years is definately a good thing, new technology, bigger ships, the proper time for another new generation of Valkyries, etc.

Besides, at that era, the U.N. Spacy would/should be adiquately equipped to take on Protoculture level technology (should that become a plot point). Hell, Kawamori "could" even decide to bring back the Megaroad (though I doubt that'd happen) with dexcendants of the original crew.

Edited by Keith

To hell with you naysayers, I'm quite happy so far. Though I can't help but wonder if a 40 year old Basara will wander in somehwere... Taking Macross up another 20 years is definately a good thing, new technology, bigger ships, the proper time for another new generation of Valkyries, etc.

Besides, at that era, the U.N. Spacy would/should be adiquately equipped to take on Protoculture level technology (should that become a plot point). Hell, Kawamori "could" even decide to bring back the Megaroad (though I doubt that'd happen) with dexcendants of the original crew.

OH man... I would so love to see some kind of "Firebomber reunion tour" (like never ending kiss reunion tours) or something wacky like that. If Max and Millia could look forever young, I'm sure Mylene would be still quite young in appearance too... hopefully she will show up too.

No one is being a naysayer, bro. Some of us are just taking the "wait and see" approach.

As much as I like Macross 7, I would prefer Macross F to take a different route (from all previous series) in the interests of variety.

EDIT: Correction, we have one naysayer. See above. :p

Edited by SpacyAce2012

THe funny thing is, both my brother and I grew up with Macross. I love it, he hates it... but he watched Macross 7 too... and to him, both the original series and 7 were about people fighting monsters with alot of ridiculous singing scenes... I guess in a way, he does have a point. To me, the announcement means I will be getting more of what I love about Macross: the mecha, and ridiculous people singing while fighting's going on :p

Well, I'm not going to delve into the typical fan boy crying by comparing "degrees of absurdity" between SDF Macross and everything post-1982. Fans are already beginning the rumblings of discontent in this thread. I like Macross and that's good enough for me. If the new series is good, so be it. If not, oh well. To my mind, the franchise has already hit rock bottom and the worst we fans must endure is the possibility of mediocre sequels like Macross Zero, IMO. I'm willing to take the risk on the new series and try it out. Plus, even if the show sucks, I've got work to do profiling the Macross Frontier mecha for the Macross Mecha Manual :)

meh, just because someone doesn't like the particular direction of the macross show someone else enjoyed, doesn't make them a naysayer.

And I don't think macross has hit rockbottom at all.. as much as I don't like 7, i don't think it was anywhere NEAR as bad as Gundam Wing, or 90% of the other Gundam sequels and spin offs.

And I don't think macross has hit rockbottom at all.. as much as I don't like 7, i don't think it was anywhere NEAR as bad as Gundam Wing, or 90% of the other Gundam sequels and spin offs.

IMO, Macross did...for Macross. Gundam is nowhere in my discussion. But like I've said before, IMO, the worst is forever past. Either Macross stops, it releases average productions or it gets better. I'm actually really hopeful for this new series. Talking STRICTLY FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE, we've had our Macross 7 downer, we've already had two mediocre shows with Macross II and Macross Zero; odds are quite good that we're due for a SDF Macross or Macross Plus, IMO.

What worries me is that we will continue down the Macross II/Macross 7 "Minmay Defense" road, which, I think, rubs alot of us the wrong way. Minmay sang in ONE battle in SDF Macross. One.

For me Macross is people's lives playing out against the backdrop of intergalatic war. Mecha and music are a part of that, but its not what Macross is about. I think Kawamori lost touch with that. Its about relationships and what it means to be human. Bah, I dunno, maybe we are all getting too old for this, and we expect something serious out of what is a kids' show.

What worries me is that we will continue down the Macross II/Macross 7 "Minmay Defense" road, which, I think, rubs alot of us the wrong way. Minmay sang in ONE battle in SDF Macross. One.

For me Macross is people's lives playing out against the backdrop of intergalatic war. Mecha and music are a part of that, but its not what Macross is about. I think Kawamori lost touch with that. Its about relationships and what it means to be human. Bah, I dunno, maybe we are all getting too old for this, and we expect something serious out of what is a kids' show.

I agree, but I also thought that both Zero and Plus did a good job with exploring that theme. It was only m7 that really deviated and went into macross II territory with speaker missiles and what not.

I have to admit that the "space monster" thing kinda made me nervous at first. After much thought 'space monster' could really be anything. Heck i bet people described the Zentredi as space monsters when they first saw Macross. So we may be spared the goofy monster flying through space with no spacecraft.

I have to admit that the "space monster" thing kinda made me nervous at first. After much thought 'space monster' could really be anything. Heck i bet people described the Zentredi as space monsters when they first saw Macross. So we may be spared the goofy monster flying through space with no spacecraft.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It was so vague, who knows what they'll come across. Just as long as the enemy is respectable.

I don't even mind the idea of some "space monster" just as long as it doesn't look like it came out of an episode of power rangers. The idea of an organic, space faring creature has been done pretty well in shows like star trek and babylon 5. for me, it's just a matter of how they approach it.

Though I can't help but wonder if a 40 year old Basara will wander in somehwere...

Yeah I hope he shows up too...as a fat washed-up singer trying to do something with his life. :lol:

It takes place in 20X6? ^_^ So why's Max's VA involved with this? I'm glad Yoko Kanno is back on this. I know some people like variety but she seems to make half the songs I like from Japan.