Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Whiplash.....lovely. It doesn't sound like she needs immediate surgery (although it could get worst if not looked after). The steroids are probably for the inflammation. She'll probably be making graceful movements at her concerts...no fancy head movements.

In my neck of the woods. They all slow down to 10 mph under the speed limit when they approach every intersection. The light is green. The path is clear but they slow down.

Really, that's not a bad idea for everybody, only because you never know if somebody's going to try to zip through the intersection against the lights.

Not to ressurect a debate from the other 25th Anniversary thread, but I just have to say, after seeing this review for Patlabor the Movie from Bandai Visual Japan, I stand corrected about the likelihood of a hypothetical Japanese domestic Macross 25 DVD release carrying an English dub.

Bandai Visual has already publically stated that they will not be doing English dubs of their title catalog, as it would add too much cost to the releases.

Whether they ultimately find it cost effective to purchase a dubbing studio here in the future is unknown at this time.

Last update:

Aug.9, 2007

2:56(Japan Standard Time)

===============================================

Aug.9, 2007

The news from Macross Official Website:

http://www.macross.co.jp

The 25th Anniversary T-Shirt will be sold on Live Day.

There are only 500 suits, limitation suits!!

And... only sales on Live Day!

The others news are old info, e.g.

I'd love to see the design!

THAT will be a white hot seller on Yahoo Japan!

Not to ressurect a debate from the other 25th Anniversary thread, but I just have to say, after seeing this review for Patlabor the Movie from Bandai Visual Japan, I stand corrected about the likelihood of a hypothetical Japanese domestic Macross 25 DVD release carrying an English dub.

I don't think it's a comparable situation. They're only putting that English dub on there because it was previously released with BV USA's Patlabor DVDs. It's not like they specially created a dub for this Blu-Ray release. So if there's no American release of Macross 25, I wouldn't expect a dub to magically appear on a Japanese release.

Last update:

Aug.10, 2007

2:36(Japan Standard Time)

===============================================

Aug.10, 2007

The news from tanomi.com:

http://www.tanomi.com/macross/

Macross Original Zippo(serial NO. marking).

This Zippo was exhibited in TAF2007. (I had introduced it on Jul.9.)

Now, you can buy it on this month. But, there are only 300 Pieces(限定数:300個)

07070906.jpg

070810zippo.jpg

This Zippo for two Macross history events.

1、Nov. 2008, VF-1 series mass production begins

2、Feb. 2009, Macross's space launching ceremony

And...

It will become permanent collection in ZIPPO Museum.(つまりZIPPO博物館に永久保存されると言う事!)

Edited by kresphy

I don't think it's a comparable situation. They're only putting that English dub on there because it was previously released with BV USA's Patlabor DVDs. It's not like they specially created a dub for this Blu-Ray release. So if there's no American release of Macross 25, I wouldn't expect a dub to magically appear on a Japanese release.

There is every reason to believe there will be a North American release of Macross 25 if Bandai Visual is the one to release it here.

They are the principle domestic distributor for BW's Macross series' and with an American office they will hold the international rights to the series as well. For the Mac 7 fans, it bodes well for a possible Mac 7 release here as well and maybe even Macross Zero.

Since Manga doesn't seem to be re-releasing the Macross titles, like all the rest of the titles in it's catalog these days, one could speculate that the license has lapsed or was pulled in order for BV to release the remastered versions here. However, that is only specualtion.

There is too much potential revenue for BW and BV to ignore and with Western distributors timid about licensing Macross properties, it makes sense to distribute the productions directly if that is their plan.

There is every reason to believe there will be a North American release of Macross 25 if Bandai Visual is the one to release it here.

They are the principle domestic distributor for BW's Macross series' and with an American office they will hold the international rights to the series as well. For the Mac 7 fans, it bodes well for a possible Mac 7 release here as well and maybe even Macross Zero.

Since Manga doesn't seem to be re-releasing the Macross titles, like all the rest of the titles in it's catalog these days, one could speculate that the license has lapsed or was pulled in order for BV to release the remastered versions here. However, that is only specualtion.

There is too much potential revenue for BW and BV to ignore and with Western distributors timid about licensing Macross properties, it makes sense to distribute the productions directly if that is their plan.

And I will admit that with HD or Blu-Ray's recasting of regions, they can do it and have plausible deniablility.

M7 in the US is highly unlikely due to having to go the extra mile for the music licenses as well.

As for a M25 release... It might not be worth it if they have to duke it out in court with HG, or if HG demands that Bandai include them in the deal to bring M25 to the US (like with TokyoPop and M7 Trash). Big West would axe the release, because it would probably set a precedent conceding that HG is right and that they have a claim to all things Macross (I'm not a lawyer, so correct me if I'm wrong).

And unless M25 does really well and looks like it would do well internationally, it might not be worth the trouble to release it in the US. Especially if there are a lot of fansubbers. If a lot of the potential customers have already watched it, why bother releasing it if even a quarter of them won't buy the release. It's like the problem of scanlaters and manga companies. A number of companies decide that it's not worth it to release a series because most of the people that would buy the series have already read it, have that series in their computer for free, and a great deal will decide not to buy it. There's a mistaken belief that there's an unspoken agreement between scanlaters and the companies, that they will follow unspoken rules like taking down the scanlated manga after it's been licensed. BUT, the damage has already been done. That's why the manga companies hate the scanlaters' guts.

I take it that it's the same with anime and fansubs. Same thing, different medium. Why else would Bandai Visual announce GITSAC SSS, with a threat that it would nail the fansubbers to the wall if they touched it?

As much as I would love a US release of post-M+ titles. I don't see it as something that will happen... short of HG getting pied to death by disgruntled fans and all the paperwork and computers being eaten by said disgruntled fans. :p Or should I word it, "when Yamato releases Robotech toys". :lol:

M7 in the US is highly unlikely due to having to go the extra mile for the music licenses as well.

As for a M25 release... It might not be worth it if they have to duke it out in court with HG, or if HG demands that Bandai include them in the deal to bring M25 to the US (like with TokyoPop and M7 Trash). Big West would axe the release, because it would probably set a precedent conceding that HG is right and that they have a claim to all things Macross (I'm not a lawyer, so correct me if I'm wrong).

With respect to M7 music it may be the case with "outsiders" trying to license the music, but BV already has an agreement for the music domestically, it is conceivable that it would be extended to include international markets. I'm sure Victor would love to blow out any remaining Firebomber stock to Western OTAKU.

HG has no "right" to anything other than SDFM, if they did Manga would have been forced to pull Mac Plus and Mac II years ago. Essentially they'd have to get Macross trademarked in the US and that ship has sailed long ago, not to mention it's a lot tougher to get than slapping a "copyright" label on SDFM merchandise. The only rights they have are for SDFM via Tatsunoko, anything else is propoganda to scare away other potential distributors.

And unless M25 does really well and looks like it would do well internationally, it might not be worth the trouble to release it in the US. Especially if there are a lot of fansubbers. If a lot of the potential customers have already watched it, why bother releasing it if even a quarter of them won't buy the release. A number of companies decide that it's not worth it to release a series because most of the people that would buy the series have already read it, have that series in their computer for free, and a great deal will decide not to buy it.

Well fansubbing hasn't slowed the flow so far, I'd wager that it has increased the profile of anime in pop culture more than any other media to date. Often times it increases the the awareness of the fans to titles that they want to see and that is translated into requests being made to distributors.

Why else would Bandai Visual announce GITSAC SSS, with a threat that it would nail the fansubbers to the wall if they touched it?

That sounds like a common threat made by Japanese companies.

If perform a search you will find few Japanese fansites that post BW owned images like we do here. That is because the studios strictly guard all copyrighted materials, particlularly BW (prolly because of the whole Tatsunoko mess). Sites won't web publish anything remotely copywritten like we do here for fear of legal action.

Whereas here, studios tend to leave websites alone so long as they don't try to make money on copyrighted materials.

As much as I would love a US release of post-M+ titles. I don't see it as something that will happen... short of HG getting pied to death by disgruntled fans and all the paperwork and computers being eaten by said disgruntled fans. :p Or should I word it, "when Yamato releases Robotech toys". :lol:

As already stated, HG has no claims on anything post SDFM, if they had any legal leg to stand on they'd have exercised it long before now.

Manga Ent. has held the rights to Mac Plus and Mac 2 for over a decade without any legal challenges from HG.

HG hasn't the money or the legal ground to launch any suit on titles other than SDFM.

With the legal rulings in Japan, their grip on even the SDFM property is tenuous now.

They own the animation only and could possibly be sued for use of the Valkyrie and character designs of SDFM if BW & Studio Nue so wishes.

HG is less of a threat to the legal Japanese owners of the show than they would be to American distributors, who wish to avoid costly legal nuisance proceedings.

Anyway this is getting off topic. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

Well to not get too off topic and continue my point regarding HG and M25. HG has caused Macross fans a lot of grief over the years with various claims on Macross. Despite them not having much of a foothold anymore, I think that companies won't want to dish out extra money in case HG wants to bleed them.

I completely agree with you zinjo on all that you said about HG. It's just that the history of Macross and HG is so damned ridiculous, and not the way it should be (both legally and in comparison to other titles involving rights).

Agreed, it's getting off topic. ;)

And man do I want M25 to get a US release! :) I'm hoping that the tv series is full of surprises (good ones).

Well to not get too off topic and continue my point regarding HG and M25. HG has caused Macross fans a lot of grief over the years with various claims on Macross. Despite them not having much of a foothold anymore, I think that companies won't want to dish out extra money in case HG wants to bleed them.

I completely agree with you zinjo on all that you said about HG. It's just that the history of Macross and HG is so damned ridiculous, and not the way it should be (both legally and in comparison to other titles involving rights).

Agreed, it's getting off topic. ;)

And man do I want M25 to get a US release! :) I'm hoping that the tv series is full of surprises (good ones).

HG is very good at "scaring" American companies with litigation, we'll see what happens when BV the Japanese distributor starts to play on the block. B))

M25 in America would be soooo cool! I too hope it's as good as the original... SK has made some pretty hefty claims about it so far "the best one yet...", so we'll see what he means by that.

HG is very good at "scaring" American companies with litigation, we'll see what happens when BV the Japanese distributor starts to play on the block. B))

M25 in America would be soooo cool! I too hope it's as good as the original... SK has made some pretty hefty claims about it so far "the best one yet...", so we'll see what he means by that.

I'd love to see M25 here in the US too...providing it's a good series and not Macross Wing :)

Bandai isn't FASA. HG would be incredibly stupid to try it. Shadow Chronicles funding isn't worth tackling a giant like Bandai. :p

In any case, I wonder what Mr. Kawamori has in mind by that statement. I hope it's something new and spectacular. Not more of the same ol'.

he really said that?? woa, some big words to live up to... I know he can

I can't find the reference I sourced that comment from so I will have to retract the statement about what SK said about this new series, until such time as I can post where I got it from. :(

No point in feeding the rumor mill with unsupported comments.

Edited by Zinjo

If I had a dime for every time a creator bragged about his own work...

If I had a dime anytime someone posted a rumor on a forum...I'd be collecting on myself at times... <_<

Bandai isn't FASA. HG would be incredibly stupid to try it.

Stupid is one thing. Desperate is another. They might try it in the hopes that they can at least do a battle of attrition that they'd hope Bandai would think twice about engaging in. But soft -- let us say no more, lest we mention the name of the Scottish Play... I mean migrate into the topic of the Thread that Dare not Speak Its Name... :lol:

In any case, I wonder what Mr. Kawamori has in mind by that statement. I hope it's something new and spectacular. Not more of the same ol'.

Maybe it is. But then again, George Lucas said thesame thing about the prequel trilogy...and only was able to deliver on Ep. 3... <_<

But soft -- let us say no more, lest we mention the name of the Scottish Play... I mean migrate into the topic of the Thread that Dare not Speak Its Name... :lol:

LOL :) That's awesome :lol:

I agree that we should move away from that issue. I'm confident BV could do want it likes, but the big question is will it. Macross 25 domestic release would be a dream.

Maybe it is. But then again, George Lucas said thesame thing about the prequel trilogy...and only was able to deliver on Ep. 3... <_<

I wouldn't go THAT far!

I keep hoping there's a "Phantom Edit" of that one to see if it could be somehow improved with the existing footage.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

I have and I've found worse.

Buenos Aires in Argentina.....NO ONE follows the Highway Code there, its mental.

I have lived in Argentina for 5 years, and it's NOWHERE NEAR as bad as Cairo, Egypt and Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon), Vietnam, where motorists and pedestrians are both suicidal and homicidal.

Survived 2 years in Cairo without incident, but cost me my mental health. Ho Chi Minh City put me on crutches for a month.

Now that I'm on Home Leave back in Los Angeles, the traffic seems SOOOOOooooooo tame it's psychologically therapeutic.

I never thought that one day, I would actually enjoy LA traffic.

We Americans are way spoiled.

Macross 25, only 4 days left on the countdown...

I have and I've found worse.

Buenos Aires in Argentina.....NO ONE follows the Highway Code there, its mental.

LOL! I was in Buenos Aires for a fews day while on the way to visit family in Chile, and i almost dies 4 or 5 times the first few hours i was there, near the obelisk and surrounding area! The traffic was wild! Then in Chile, well damn - i almost had a heart attack everytime i got in a car or a taxi!

Still, gorgeous city - gorgeous women! (Y la carne, no se olvidads de la carne! *En el restorante o en la calle?*)

Jejejejeje, good times.

It's somewhat defeating that this concert is three days away and no major news has come up.

Hopefully things turn around soon.

At this point, I'm doubting anything substantial will come out of the concert, except the voice actress announcement (unless they pull this out of nowhere, I expect no trailer to be shown). No magazine-related info has popped up since the last one. No domains registered. No blog has said anything (not even from MoonPhase either). Unless something is said, I'm not going to look for any new series until 2008.