Transformer Super Thread 6

They kind of went above and beyond the call of duty for Downshift/Big Daddy, with his unconventional vehicle mode design (he's the only classic car in a line full of cybertronic and current model cars) and the hidden Cyber Key slot.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Yeah, Downshift is a very nice TF toy. In fact he's the only pre-Classics TF I keep on display. His only major problems are lack of neck and waist rotation, but those can be fixed fairly easily.

That Premium TF Movie Starscream looks tempting ... I might pick him up.

:ph34r:

And I agree, there were a lot of nice molds in the TF Cybertron line.

Found the Wal-Mart exclusives tonight; picked up Big Daddy, Grindcore, & Jolt.

All of 'em are nice.

^_^

I preordered the MP Starscream crown and cape set as soon as it became available... but, for the life of me, I just can't understand why anyone would want a set for Skywarp? :wacko:

Edit: Whoa, the price jumped since yesterday! They were $14.99 then. Glad I got my order placed in time!

Edited by crasis

I hope they have a designer provide brief explanations to the photo and documentation teams from now on too.

Because really, that stuff is insane.

Hasbro's caring about Transformers beyond 'making money' is uneven. The Design team are (obviously) passionate about TFs and care, but corporates and other departments don't seem to care at all.

Employee: Sir, we got the photos back. The guns are missing and somehow the photographer transformed the robot into lemur.

Boss: What's wrong with that?

Employee: It's supposed to turn into a fire engine.

Boss: But the photos still show the toy, right?

Employee: Yes, sir.

Boss: Then it's off to the printers!

I highly suspect that Hasbro, in a Big Corporate Great Idea, farms out their photography to an exclusive, high-priced studio solely due to image: They can greatly impress their shareholders or potential clients by showing off who they do business with. Just a theory on my part.

But at the very least Hasbro's TF marketing department isn't at odds with the TF design team like how it was at TakaraTomy (this was actually revealed by one of the Takara designers).

Hasbro's caring about Transformers beyond 'making money' is uneven. The Design team are (obviously) passionate about TFs and care, but corporates and other departments don't seem to care at all.

Employee: Sir, we got the photos back. The guns are missing and somehow the photographer transformed the robot into lemur.

Boss: What's wrong with that?

Employee: It's supposed to turn into a fire engine.

Boss: But the photos still show the toy, right?

Employee: Yes, sir.

Boss: Then it's off to the printers!

I highly suspect that Hasbro, in a Big Corporate Great Idea, farms out their photography to an exclusive, high-priced studio solely due to image: They can greatly impress their shareholders or potential clients by showing off who they do business with. Just a theory on my part.

But at the very least Hasbro's TF marketing department isn't at odds with the TF design team like how it was at TakaraTomy (this was actually revealed by one of the Takara designers).

And all that is very interesting, but largely irrelevant to a wish fueled by the recent involvement of the design team on the website news posts, an area they have not traditionally had great input on.

Hey, today's episode of Animated featured homages to the Pretenders: Bomb-Burst (bat guy) and Submarauder (sea creature guy)!

And all that is very interesting, but largely irrelevant to a wish fueled by the recent involvement of the design team on the website news posts, an area they have not traditionally had great input on.
I bet you Hasbro will forget about this 'designer input' thing in a few months, like they forget the Q&A sessions on the Energon site after they forced Aaron Archer to stop posting on fan boards, and when they forgot about the Ask Vector Prime feature on the Cybertron site.

I am the first to admit Hasbro will never do a website feature as impressive as TakaraTomy's 'The World of the Transformers'. That thing was awesome, it was. But to be fair to Hasbro, the US franchise has provided it's fans with that sort of officially-sanctioned information and materials for years. As I understand it, Japanese fans have never really had much to go on other than what was in the cartoons and mangas.

The information in the World of The Transformers feature was apparently compiled by Hirofumi Ichikawa, a well-known Japanese fan/Takara freelancer who prefers the US continuities, so he basically condensed the information released over the years in the US cartoons, comics, profile books ect, so that (presumably) TakaraTomy could introduce the concepts of Transformers to the new audience it hoped to recieve with the 2007 Movie.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I bet you Hasbro will forget about this 'designer input' thing in a few months, like they forget the Q&A sessions on the Energon site after they forced Aaron Archer to stop posting on fan boards, and when they forgot about the Ask Vector Prime feature on the Cybertron site.

Probably. That seems to be how these things usually work, regardless of company.

Can't stop us from dreaming.

Hey, today's episode of Animated featured homages to the Pretenders: Bomb-Burst (bat guy) and Submarauder (sea creature guy)!

I noticed that too. Ironic, since I've been watching Masterforce.

I love all the little G1 easter eggs in Animated.

awww dayum!!! Grimlock baby! I'm soooo buying this! They said that the bot mode pix is mistransformed and is not suppose to look like that. So I'm waiting till they post the pix of how he's really suppose to be transformed!

Grimlock_3.jpg

Grimlock_2.jpg

Grimlock_1.jpg

Looks like they extended the arms in bot mode instead of collapsing them. I wonder if the weapon can be stowed inside the dino mode. I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to Animated, but, again, it may not be my bag, but there's no denying that kids are going to love this. Plus, amazingly, they have good tv fiction to accompany it.

I picked up a movie Ratchet over the weekend. It's the first I've seen one in a long long time, and it's the only movie figure I didn't own. Actually, it's rare to see a normal deco in-movie figure on the pegs. He's pretty nice. Like most movie figures, the transformation is refreshingly different. The auto-morphing mechanism isn't much of anything though; kneecaps fold out and the inner calves *barely* bulge outwards.

sawweet! can't wait for this figure to come out! I hope they make the other two. I'd be all over them all! :lol::D:p;)^_^

Why, why why - are Transformers ALWAYS (mostly) mistransformed? I'm assuming the ppl who transform them work for hasbro/takara - surely they get the memo on how to transform their OWN product? Sheesh.

Well in this case, the color pictures of the TFA Grimlock on the previous page come from an

illegally acquired "sample", so we can't blame Has/Tak on this one.

Just bought Landmine from the 2k8 movie line:

review of him here:

http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=866

Like wreckage I like the articulation in bot mode and the details of alt mode. Best of the 2008 line in the deluxe size for me so far. I had not intended on buying any more movie TF after Cliff Jumper (a repaint of Concept Camaro Bumblebee). Those who like easy transformations and high articulation should definitely check this toy out. I also like how the gun can be stored his back and even be used as an over-the-shoulder gun in bot mode. The hands are also very interesting: it is the seats of the alt mode. But the opposable thumb and (what look like the mine sweepers on brawl) fingers can be posed with lots of freedom. The dagger-like fingers also look like perfect close quarter combat weapons to stab other robots in the eyes. heh. Overall this is 4 and a half stars for me. I'll hold off 1/2 a star in case a better repainted version comes out.

If only they weathered the buggy like they did with classics grimlock that would have really suited the toy. Anyone else still buying movie line stuff? Landmine took me by surprise.

dscf0709gf3.jpg

:lol: Witness the power of having man hands/claws/paddles!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Just finished watching the new Dinobot animated episode. Good stuff. I know I said I didn't really want any of the figures, but I would totally buy a Prowl if there were a Captain Fanzone aka "Cipowitz" figure to ride him. He's my favorite human character on the show, probably because I used to be a big NYPD Blue fan years ago.

Desert Brawl is amazing, one of the best leader figures I have picked up in a long time. I wish the ratchets were tighter, and that his thigh swivels were ratcheted, as they tend to swivel inwards(depending on how the toy is standing) and the toy ends up toppling over due to that. Armed to the teeth, a lot of articulation, and the epitome of how a movie Decepticon should be. I don't think any of you would hate this figure.

Not only did I think it was cool that there was actual art displayed in the recent Animated episode(inparticular my favorite Van Gogh "Starry Night"), but there was a *blatant* and obvious Airplane: The Movie reference! I had to do a double take, because I couldn't believe it!

Awesome. :D

An allspark post by MrBlud linked the exact Airplane reference:

Hilariouspose.jpg

Edited by Alpha OTS