Transformer Super Thread 6

tformers.com has lots of pictures of everything, and some better pictures of Galvataron where you really can take in the head detail which is spot on. One thing I didn't take note of before is that in vehicle mode there's almost *no* purple visible, yet in bot mode he's mostly purple. I really hope that left shoulder cap can lay flush with the rest of the shoulder; it looks like it should. There's only one negative. I'm not seeing knees. :(

Other random thoughts:

I just noticed those Marvel TFs don't have pilots.

I'm not liking PowerGlide in these new pics. He might be mistransformed, it's hard to tell. The proportions still look off.

Blaster is ok, I guess. Not a purchase for me. I hope they at least fix the mold so that the vehicle mode holds together.

With each pic of Octane I see, I like him more.

Prowl's doors finally look like they're where they should be in bot mode. The wheels look a little too bland though, same goes for Sunstreaker.

Update on Leader class Bulkhead - he talks and comes with a figure of The Headmaster. When you plug him onto Bulkhead's noggin, Headmaster yells out 'OWNAGE TOTAL OWNAGE!'

Any idea if the Headmaster toy that comes with Bulkhead is just a head or if it transforms?

There isn't that much a difference in Classics and Cybertron, aside from the lack of a line-wide key gimmick. I think people elevate Classics/Classics Universe into some kind of unique position because it's new G1.

No, the reason why Classics is better than Cybertron (or Energron) is because the toys have good alt modes. Prime was the stupidest-looking firetruck I've ever seen, for example, and that Soundwave/Blaster mold... what is it even supposed to be? A stealth fighter? A spaceship?

The original toys were cool because they were cars and planes and jeeps and vans and stuff you might actually see in real life. That was the gimmick, robots in disguise. "Hey, check out this jeep I'm playing with... it's actually Hound!" The downside to those toys is that they were pretty much bricks that you were lucky if they could move their arms.

Yeah, Cybertron had some solid, poseable robots. I myself have Cyberton Leader Prime. But Classics gave us poseable robots that looked like real jets, cars, etc.

There isn't that much a difference in Classics and Cybertron, aside from the lack of a line-wide key gimmick.

No there is. Cybertron goes for a more futuristic aesthetic. Look at how different Cybertron Prime and Classics Prime look, even without the key gimmick. Look how different Wingsaber, Soundwave, and Jetfire's alt modes look compared to the likes of Classics Jetfire and Powerglide.

That's why the more conservatively-styled or more traditional-looking Cybertron toys fit in so well with Classics and Classics Universe.

Most of them were futuristic, so only some of them fit in.

About a quarter Cybertron toys are heavy G1 homages

The homages are inescapable, previous lines had them, and so did Cybertron's predecessors, nothing new.

I was blown away by everything but the Cybertron repaints. Poor Blaster. Talk about getting the shaft.

Same here. I like the paint job but no remold at all? A shame. I don't care if his bomb is an homage to a japanese exclusive tape from g1.

Any idea if the Headmaster toy that comes with Bulkhead is just a head or if it transforms?

Just a head.

Soundwave/Blaster mold... what is it even supposed to be? A stealth fighter? A spaceship?

I actually like that Soundwave a lot. Then again I like planes.

The original toys were cool because they were cars and planes and jeeps and vans and stuff you might actually see in real life. That was the gimmick, robots in disguise. "Hey, check out this jeep I'm playing with... it's actually Hound!" The downside to those toys is that they were pretty much bricks that you were lucky if they could move their arms.

The latter part is how I felt when I grew up, and the reason I loved the original Jetfire toy, and fully embraced the later half of g2. Cyberjets/Laser Rod Prime ftw!

But Classics gave us poseable robots that looked like real jets, cars, etc.

What I like is that instead of making "homages that are g1 based but in a series that is not g1", its a series that gets to the point, does not beat around the bush, and is finally a continuation of G1. Sure it was a filler line, but it was short and sweet and cut to the chase. Even though it was a filler line, the design team knew what they were doing and its proof that they are fans like us too.

Galvatron does appear to have knees. There are pins in the knee pads.

No, the reason why Classics is better than Cybertron (or Energron) is because the toys have good alt modes. Prime was the stupidest-looking firetruck I've ever seen, for example, and that Soundwave/Blaster mold... what is it even supposed to be? A stealth fighter? A spaceship?

Yeah, Cybertron had some solid, poseable robots. I myself have Cyberton Leader Prime. But Classics gave us poseable robots that looked like real jets, cars, etc.

Prime - it's a weird design and I love it personally. Soundwave - yeah, he is supposed to be an alien spaceship, like his Planet X compatriot Sideways. He never set foot on Earth.

What, Cybertron didn't have realistic jets and cars?

No there is. Cybertron goes for a more futuristic aesthetic. Look at how different Cybertron Prime and Classics Prime look, even without the key gimmick. Look how different Wingsaber, Soundwave, and Jetfire's alt modes look compared to the likes of Classics Jetfire and Powerglide.
Considering Wing Saber actually had the A-10 cockpit originally, I don't think he's that futuristic. Cybertron Jetfire is based on a real transport plane. Soundwave is a bad example considering he never set foot on Earth and wasn't meant to be an Earth fighter. He even had the same sort of 'ancient' exposed tech motif as Vector Prime and Sideways.

Most of them were futuristic, so only some of them fit in.
Scattorshot, Overhaul/Brushguard, Armorhide, Hardtop/Swindle, Hot Shot/Excellion, Red Alert/Cannonball, Landmine, Evac, Thundercracker/Skywarp, Downshift, Crosswise, Cybertron Defense Hot Shot, CD Scattorshot, CD Red Alert.

While the theme of the Cybertron line is futuristic/cybertronic due to the plot, that's just over a quarter of the line that fits in quite well with Classics/Universe. Most of them are genericised vehicles based upon real vehicles, are reasonably realistic by Transformers standards and none are futuristic. Well except Hot Shot/Excellion, he was based on a concept car.

I didn't include Jetfire/Sky Shadow, Lugnutz/Hightail, and Shortround because while their vehicle modes are reasonably realistic, their robot modes aren't very old G1 looking.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Considering Wing Saber actually had the A-10 cockpit originally, I don't think he's that futuristic.

Yea but he didn't end up with the A-10 cockpit. Not to mention his overall look strikes me more as futuristic than realistic.

Or we can say the Cybertron vehicles look exaggerated. Either way, there is a distinct difference between the vehicle modes chosen for Cybertron and the ones for Classics. Cybertron is full of homages. Classics is full of updated G1 characters. One is an alternate universe Prime, one is Prime; updated

While the theme of the Cybertron line is futuristic/cybertronic due to the plot, that's just over a quarter of the line that fits in quite well with Classics/Universe.

Debateable, Classics is mostly G1 derived, sure yea it was a filler line, yea Universe is continuing it and all of us are happy, but it is plainly obvious that it was primarily G1 based. All those figures you mentioned do not look like they fit in with Classics, whether they were repainted in G1 colors or not. There is a huge difference between "HEY GUYS WE NEED A FILLER TOY LINE AND THIS IS OUR SHOT TO FINALLY MAKE A UPDATED FILL IN NAME:____________!", and "HEY WE NEED A REPAINT AND THIS GUY WOULD LOOK GOOD IN G1 COLORS, DO YOU THINK ANYONE WILL NOTICE?". Case in point, Cybertron Excellion. Yea the Hotshot repaint in Hot Rod colors. Japan or US version, I don't care, pick your poison. Compare him to Classics Hot Rod. Strip paint on both. Place both next to other Classics figures. Oh yank the key gimmick out. Yea Excellion looks out of place.

While Cybertron had homages, they weren't the emphasis. When Classics had updated G1 characters, the emphasis was updating. Huge differences. (And yes I like both lines, but realize there is a distinct difference).

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Classics starscream is great for just being a new g1 starscream. Though I wished classic jetfire was just the vf-1 from G1 TF but updated. :( (ie arms between the legs style of transformation)

It being a filler line doesn't mean it's automatically crap. I want to see more dinobots!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

\Though I wished classic jetfire was just the vf-1 from G1 TF but updated.

Classics jetfire is 1/2 good. If they ripped out the valk influence, and went for a 100% G1 cartoon influenced look I would have been happy. As it stands classics jetfire is the unholy love child between a VF-1 and G1 Skyfire.

Classics jetfire is 1/2 good. If they ripped out the valk influence, and went for a 100% G1 cartoon influenced look I would have been happy. As it stands classics jetfire is the unholy love child between a VF-1 and G1 Skyfire.

I think they went more for Dreamwave's interpretation of Jetfire.

Whose design was very much a fusion of a VF-1 and the classic G1 Skyfire. I really like Classics jetfires robot mode. I just wish his plane mode wasn't so... lazy.

I wish Classics Jetfire's plane mode had a more realistic, fighter-like canopy and nose. I do know it was done the way it was as a way of replicating the G1 cartoon model's look in robot mode. I see Classics as a fusion of influences from both the animation models of G1, and the original G1 toys. Just a few weeks back I realized Classics Grimlock is influenced a lot by the Pretenders Grimlock.

Holy S---!!! After reviewing all the Toyfare 2008 news, I am psyched!!!

TF Universe (aka. Classics 2.0) is looking sweet!!! Galvatron looks amazing!!! Although they should have made him Voyager sized.

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Meh on the repaint Blaster & Heavy Load though ....

<_<

And the TF Animated line looks to be fun. I love the Soundwave & Laserbeak mold!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is going to be an expensive year for TFs!!!!! My poor wallet ...

I wish Classics Jetfire's plane mode had a more realistic, fighter-like canopy and nose. I do know it was done the way it was as a way of replicating the G1 cartoon model's look in robot mode. I see Classics as a fusion of influences from both the animation models of G1, and the original G1 toys. Just a few weeks back I realized Classics Grimlock is influenced a lot by the Pretenders Grimlock.

Either that or they went with a less realistic sci-fi mode with the body. The thing that drives me nuts about jetfires fighter mode is it looks like a F-14 with Skyfire's nose, or Skyfire's nose with a F-14 body, take your pick. Two very different aesthetics that, IMHO, clash. As far as I'm concerned I have my ultimate version of Jetfire with yamato's VF-1s. I really really wanted a homage to Skyfire. Which I did sort of get with classics jetfire, its just that they tried to homage two very different looks in one toy. Classics was kind of our last hope for a true skyfire toy, unless they decide to do a MP for him, but I figure he'd be pretty far down the list in terms of characters they'd pick to make an MP out of.

Negative.

The Dreamwave Jetfire was alot closer to the Cartoon Skyfire.

1101863405_TFG1_Vol3_TPB.jpg

The Classics Jetfire is one that DON designed and used in the IDW Transformers Stormbringer.

stormbringerjetfire.jpg

Hope that clears that up. ;)

I didn't like the Classics version of Jetfire..it looked ok in bot mode, but it's jet mode was lacking, and lazy. I would have liked to see a faithful rendition of Skyfire from the show...Classics Jetfire tried too hard to be a VF-1 and a futuristic jet, and just came off looking blech.

Classics Galvatron looks pretty good. They picked a suitable alt, and carried out both modes very well, IMHO. I'm psyched about Prowl(he was my first TF back in '84; still love his "look") and Sunstreaker. I'm anxious to see how much Sideswipe looks like the SDCC art. The other '08 Classics haven't really thrilled me. On a side note, Hasbro/Takara-Tomy must really like Alt Mirage's leg transformation. Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, Prowl, and TFA jazz all share the same leg transformation, although their original G1 designs were different.

TFA just seems to get better. Jazz, in particular, is just pure plastic awesomeness. Leader Megs looks pretty good; I like his earth alt mode, but he looks more kibbled in bot mode than most of the other Animated figs. Soundwave looks interesting, but I think something better could have been done with Laserbeak than making him some weird spoiler on top of SW's van form. It would have been much cooler had he folded up and secreted away in SW's chest in alt mode, then popped out to become his guitar or condor. Blackarachnia looks great except for her hands in spider mode. It would have looked alot better had they made her arms similar to TFA Prowl's, where the spider leg attachment on her arm is a hollow sheath that can swivel over and cover her hands in spider mode. The way it is now, those hands stick out, well, like a big pair of purple hands. I'll still get her though. :lol:

I was hoping to see the TF:A Dinobots, but I haven't found any pics from ToyFair.

The Marvel TFs actually look decent. Iron man looks pretty smooth in jet form..doesn't look like he suffers the typical massive undercarriage syndrome suffered by so many legions of Transformer jets in the past. Hulk looks good in bot and tank forms. I'll prob pass on these, just the same. TFA and a couple Classics will be filling my shelves this year. Funny, despite hearing that Hasbro's already gearing up to make more movie figs for TF2, I'm not in the least interested. I've found my happy place amongst the Classics and Animated figs.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Does anyone own the TF RID series, "Autobot brother" figures: X-Brawn, Sideburn, & Prowl???

Any thoughts or opinions - if they are worth owning or not??

I've been eyeing these 3 figures for awhile now, and am debating whether to pick 'em up from eBay. Their alt modes look cool, but I'm indifferent about the robot modes since they do have kibble. Some reviews I've read seem to love X-Brawn & Prowl, but apparently Sideburn is a PITA to transform.

Thinking of adding them to my collection and want to hear thoughts ...

TIA.

Edited by Vermillion21

Oh my... I'm not thrilled by the headsculpt, but otherwise, that IS a great fig.

I love that fig. Exhaust Nunchucks! And the Alt mode is INCREDIBLE.

The Animated figs just get better and better in my opinion. I can't wait to have them in hand. I thought Snarl looked pretty awesome too. His paint job totally sold me on him.

What did you think of Oil Slick? So totally unexpected. And so totally FoW.

Edited by hutch

Does anyone own the TF RID series, "Autobot brother" figures: X-Brawn, Sideburn, & Prowl???

Any thoughts or opinions - if they are worth owning or not??

I've been eyeing these 3 figures for awhile now, and am debating whether to pick 'em up from eBay. Their alt modes look cool, but I'm indifferent about the robot modes since they do have kibble. Some reviews I've read seem to love X-Brawn & Prowl, but apparently Sideburn is a PITA to transform.

Thinking of adding them to my collection and what to hear thoughts ...

TIA.

They do have alot of kibble, but still they look rather cool. I'd say the only must own among the group is prowl. He has the least ammount of kibble and is fairly easy to transform while looking fairly cool in both modes. Sideburn can be a PITA to figure out at 1st, but once you get used to him he's not that bad.

The RID/CR Car Bros. are super awesome IMO... Prowl(Mach Alert) is def. the best of the bunch, but I also personally LOVE good kibble, so the other two score top marks in my book... SideBurn(SpeedBreaker) is the hardest to transform and probably the weakest of the bunch, but he's still a great looking figure, and X-Brawn(Wilderide) is awesome. If you don't own them I'd highly recommend you fix that.

Thanks for the feedback GobotFool & promethuem5 - appreciate it.

OK, so if I find 'em for a decent price I'm gonna pick 'em up.

@Shin - I managed to find a SWTF Darth Vader Death Star NEW MIB on eBay for $19.99 + $8 shipping!!! What a deal!!! It arrived over the weekend, but I haven't had a chance to open it.

^_^

Thanks for the feedback GobotFool & promethuem5 - appreciate it.

OK, so if I find 'em for a decent price I'm gonna pick 'em up.

I'm a little late to the party on the RiD Bros conversation, but I'd recommend them too. They're the fathers of Alternators. Prowl being the most symmetrical and with the least amount of kibble, is the best of the bunch, and it's neat how his feet become the seats of the car. X-Brawn's a little asymmetrical with the the one popeye arm, but it's also part of his charm. Sideburn's the worst of the bunch but he's still good. He has the worst kibble out of the three, and the transformation is a bit of PITA because you have to have it in a precise position before you can move certain parts; there's not much leeway. It's easy compared to Alternator Grimlock/Wheeljack though.

The only thing that I wish they would have done with Classics Jetfire is to make an extra step(optional or not) with the red back thrusters(fast pack/whatever) where each thruster assembly could fold in closer to the other so that it would appear as one giant red back thruster similar to the G1 toon model. I remember seeing a custom that did exactly that around the time Jetfire was released.

I love that fig. Exhaust Nunchucks! And the Alt mode is INCREDIBLE.

The Animated figs just get better and better in my opinion. I can't wait to have them in hand. I thought Snarl looked pretty awesome too. His paint job totally sold me on him.

What did you think of Oil Slick? So totally unexpected. And so totally FoW.

Which paint job..bot or dino? Maybe it's the lighting, but the dino pic looks a little too dayglo; the dark colors on the bot pic are perfect IMHO.

Jazz will definitely take his place among my top favorite T-formers of all time. His alt does look alot like the Mach 5, but still keeps the Porche look too. It's an awesome design, and the big mirrors just give it more character, along with the "eyelids" over the headlights. But where this fig shines is how smooth and kibble free the bot mode is. The hips are nearly on par with the Revoltech figs.

Oil Slick was a nice surprise..i like how grasshopperish his bot mode looks, and his chopper mode is cool. He looks like a loner bot of the green plains and open roads. B)) Cheesy, yes, but fitting.

Rant: So why is it that Hasbro/Tak-Tomy even in this line with this toony aesthetic, can't seem to make an aircraft TF as smooth and kibblefree as many of the car bots in this line? Macross proves that it can be done, and done to an extremely realistic, well proportioned level. They tried with SS, but he still has a lot of gaps and his jet nose is just fugly. And as much as I want to love earth mode Megs, his copter fom seems unimaginitive and kibbled. Love his bot form, though, as well as his Cybertron bot mode. Cybertron Megs' alt mode just makes me wanna turn it every which way and quit with a WTF shrug.

The new Classics 2.0 figures look great. I wish I collected the first series toys when they came out instead of the Titanium line (wanted the War Within Figures). Can't believe that the initial line prices have shot up, I saw the Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp 2-pack at Frank & Sons selling for $75.00.