Transformer Super Thread 6

Question:

WW Prime titanium toy: Great, good, or horrible, bad?

Been hearing mixed thoughts about the toy, and now I can no longer found that thing. Just when I have enough cash...

Oh well, looks like I'll be getting Deluxe Bumblebee V2(Camaro Concept). I like the Deluxe design over the Ultimate version because it looks more accurate to the movie design(the only Bayformer design I really like) than the Ultimate, which is ironic. Heh.

I hate it. It is, of all the various Primes I have, my absolute least favorite. "Looks cool?" Yeah, if you think a cool pose is standing straight with arms hanging limply at his sides. His alt mode is ugly and doesn't stay together well. The paint on his chest is too thin. His limbs fall off VERY easily, and he really can't hold any poses because his joints are too lose. He and the G.I. Joe Megatron that was released at the same time were both so awful that I swore off Titaniums, until RID Prime (I'm pretty much a Prime whore). I'm sorry I did, because the QC obviously improved greatly over the course of the line. My local Target wound up with a few restocks, and I'm tempted to get Rodimus Prime (to compliment Classics Hot Rod). But I digress.

If you're set on getting WW Prime, check Toys R' Us. They have an exclusive pack that comes with WW Megatron. I doubt it, but if you're lucky, maybe the WW Prime is up to the higher standards of the later figures in the line.

Heh, I almost got that, but then picking up MP Megatron greatly diminished my desperation for a halfway decent Megatron toy. Still, having seen this package up close, I can say it looks like utter crap. Bad proportions, very cheap looking construction, you can barely tell Prime has windows. I believe in my initial post about it, I stated that the ones I saw had no windows. I now believe the case is that the windows were not tinted as shown on the box and were so clear and thin that I did not even see them through the plastic packaging, so it just looks like Prime has two gaping holes in his chest.

Reading reviews on it, it seems Prime had a tendency to fall apart, as well.

Heh, I almost got that, but then picking up MP Megatron greatly diminished my desperation for a halfway decent Megatron toy. Still, having seen this package up close, I can say it looks like utter crap. Bad proportions, very cheap looking construction, you can barely tell Prime has windows. I believe in my initial post about it, I stated that the ones I saw had no windows. I now believe the case is that the windows were not tinted as shown on the box and were so clear and thin that I did not even see them through the plastic packaging, so it just looks like Prime has two gaping holes in his chest.

Reading reviews on it, it seems Prime had a tendency to fall apart, as well.

That's just too bad. The robot mode looked good at first. Truck mode looks horrid. Which brings to my next question:

Which is worse: The War Within Prime or The Ultimate Battle Prime?

That's just too bad. The robot mode looked good at first. Truck mode looks horrid. Which brings to my next question:

Which is worse: The War Within Prime or The Ultimate Battle Prime?

At least you can bludgeon an intruder to death with the titanium war within prime if forced to. :lol:

I got my MP3 Soundwave today, and - damn... what a fine transformer it is!!!

I'm as giddy as a school girl!!!

Very cool, and nice proportions, articulation is a tad on the loose side, but he looks kick ass next to my classics.

One satisfied customer.

Thanks Takara Tomy - what will they think of next?

I'd love it if Hasbro released a version with the electronics removed. I've got an iPod that suits my protable music player needs. I just want a nifty new Soundwave toy.

On the other hand, I'm holding out hope for an MP Soundwave at some point.

I'd love it if Hasbro released a version with the electronics removed. I've got an iPod that suits my protable music player needs. I just want a nifty new Soundwave toy.

On the other hand, I'm holding out hope for an MP Soundwave at some point.

same here. Love the sculpt, but not interested in paying extra for an MP3 player that I'll never use.

I got my MP3 Soundwave today, and - damn... what a fine transformer it is!!!

I'm as giddy as a school girl!!!

Very cool, and nice proportions, articulation is a tad on the loose side, but he looks kick ass next to my classics.

One satisfied customer.

It was quite expensive considering its MP3 limitations, but a really nice figure.

Thanks Takara Tomy - what will they think of next?

The inevitable black repaint.

I think MP3 Soundwave is a pretty fantastic toy. The joints seem to be hit or miss because I've heard a few people say theirs are a bit loose but mine has very tight joints. It is overpriced, especially with the apparently lacking MP3 player (I have no opinion on it since I have yet to buy a mini SD card to try it), but my rationale was that I'm used to paying lots of cash for Japanese toys anyway, so it didn't really hurt that bad. Plus having a Soundwave this cool is well worth the price for me.

Guest sh002

if it is easily found at walmart when it comes out then people will save on the difference. i prefer takara tomy over hasbro.

I've got my Japan-release Starscream on preorder from LAFToys for $94. I don't care that it costs more than the WalMart special because this way I don't have to support WalMart, and I also think this version looks a lot better. And it's still far cheaper than a Yamato 1/48, which is roughly the same size toy, so there you go. :)

It's official, I now own every Alternator released in the States, except for Camshaft. I'd love to get Camshaft just to complete the collection, but I'm just not willing to pay the exhorborant prices everyone seems to be asking. I realize he's relatively rare, but he' still the dullest of the Alternators, and he's a bland repaint at that.

Failing to find a Kiss Rodimus (I much prefer the pait scheme, and would have loved the fishing pole to go with him), I ordered an SDCC Rodimus from BBTS. Actually arrived a few days ago, but personal issues made me forget all about the box for the past several days. Finally opened it up just now.

I have to say, even at $40-50 bucks, I'm glad I picked up Rodimus. Sure, the fishing pole would have been nice, but even so he's a fantastic figure, easily one of the best in the line. While his chest panel still doesn't lock into place (a problem Mirage had as well, really the worst flaw in the sculpt, but still my favourite Alt sculpt)the two side panels are much more solid. His hips are a bit loose, but every other joint seems incredibly tight, without being too tight. The head sculpt is fantastic, though I wish the visor had some sort of tint.

When transforming Rodimus, I've left the doors sticking out, rather than having them fold down like on Mirage (I do the same with Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Sideswipe's doors down, Sunstreaker's doors out), and for the moment I've left his gun as a single weapon. The effect is a surprising change from Mirage. He looks bigger, more imposing. Along with the "all I do is chew gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of gum" head sculpt, he seems less like Hot Rod and more like what Rodimus Prime should have been. So despite the cheesy chest flames (which could have been made to look better with a little more colour and possibly a hint of a gradient) Rodimus is now one of my favourite Alternators, and my favourite version of the character as well.

It's just too bad he's the end of, for my anyways, the pinnacle of Transformers lines. I just hope the Masterpiece toys keep coming, especially Decepticons (who, at the moment, are rather out numbered on my Alt/MP shelf)

Guest sh002

that's cool. you have swerve too? that one is pretty hard to find cheap. i think i'll wait to see if sdcc rodimus goes down a bit before i purchase it somewhere.

Well damn, that puts me down a notch. I hadn't even heard of Swerve. Googling up images, I'm pretty surprised I hadn't, he looks great. Gah, now I need to scrounge the net and see if I can nab him. A quick Google and it looks like that's easier said than done.

Well...all the Alternators but two.

I've got my Japan-release Starscream on preorder from LAFToys for $94. I don't care that it costs more than the WalMart special because this way I don't have to support WalMart, and I also think this version looks a lot better. And it's still far cheaper than a Yamato 1/48, which is roughly the same size toy, so there you go. :)

Has it been 100% confirmed there's no carbon scorch marks on the Japanese Walmart Starscream yet? I'll pay the extra to have one without them if it is.

The Ultimate Battle DVD that comes with the Megatron/Optimus classics two pack is a half hour commercial for the Unicron Trilogy of cartoons, and does an ok job of summarizing the factions and storyline. It's definitely not something you should try to pick up or watch.

I think I've seen every Alternator ever at various local stores (definitely saw Swerve--I thought "ANOTHER vette???"). But I "got tired of them" after Tracks. Same 2 basic transformations basically. Considered Mirage, but never picked him up. Haven't seen any Alts for a while though.

Like Rad I also bought a sdcc Hot Rodimus from bbts and I must say I'm pretty impressed. The paint job is up to par with those on the japanese binaltechs (maybe even alittle better) and all the joints on mine are pretty tight. It is my favorite alternator no doubt about it. I still feel like kicking myself for not getting the Kiss Rodimus when he was cheaper, but that doll/sexual inuendo thingie veered me away. Ha, I actually put up a topic in wanted to try to buy the fishing pole.

I think I've seen every Alternator ever at various local stores (definitely saw Swerve--I thought "ANOTHER vette???"). But I "got tired of them" after Tracks. Same 2 basic transformations basically. Considered Mirage, but never picked him up. Haven't seen any Alts for a while though.

I can understand the corvette dislike. Alt mode is awesome, bot mode is eh, articulation is ok, but the transformation is a huge pain in the ass especially when you're trying to manipulate the hood halves.

If you want a new alt, you NEED to get the Mirage mold in whatever color you can grab(Mirage/KP Rodimus/SDCC Rodimus). It's excellent in each and every mode and more than lives up to what the Alternator line promised.

that's cool. you have swerve too? that one is pretty hard to find cheap. i think i'll wait to see if sdcc rodimus goes down a bit before i purchase it somewhere.

I got my Swerve at Target for 20 bucks. Lol...should have got one more. :lol:

Edited by VF Strike Valk

Unlike Radd, I don't have an almost complete set of the TF Alternators, but I do own all the ones I really want. Last summer I made a point to try and get 'em BEFORE the ridiculous price markups when the movie hype hit this summer.

All I need is Meister (aka Jazz). Still need to pick him up ... probably off of eBay.

:mellow:

My SDCC Rodimus arrived on Monday. The color is a bit brighter than KP, but still good. That feels like the end of an epic for me too. I do own every Alternator and used to have every BT before the line was cancelled. Those and Masterpiece are the only TF lines I collect. I have pre-ordered BT-18 Rijer - which will make 4 Ford GT variations.

The Japanese version of Hasbro's Masterpiece Starscream does have carbon/scorch/weathering/poo on it as well. It is still unknown how it differs from the Walmart release, if it does.

And it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if Takara do release an 'Animation Color' variation as well, e.g. MP-7, depending on the success of Hasbro's version.