The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Patience, young padawan! If you had let me start the new thread, I would have called it "The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition"! B)) Anyway, Lair is looking very nice. B))

Lol. The 'Mods, they really ARE watching us...

The dragons look pretty, but I still have zero interest in this game. 300's release on Blu-ray this week may very well be the only thing to have justified my purchase of a PS3 so far. :(

Here's hoping White Knight Story still wows me when it comes out...

>Lair is the number one game I've been waiting for. Armored Core 4 was another.

MGS4 Here ^_^

WOO, GUN'S OF THE PATRIOTS!

I personally can't wait for the insanity that will assuredly take place in this game. Hell, i'm replaying through Portable Ops now in anticipation. After that, I may replay through 3, etc. Hell, though I don't plan on playing online too often, I can't wait to test out the new engine in MGO.

WOO, GUN'S OF THE PATRIOTS!

I personally can't wait for the insanity that will assuredly take place in this game. Hell, i'm replaying through Portable Ops now in anticipation. After that, I may replay through 3, etc. Hell, though I don't plan on playing online too often, I can't wait to test out the new engine in MGO.

I actually went through 1 and 2 again a few months ago..might go through 3 again end of this year to freshen up. Port Ops I just finished a couple months ago so it's still fresh in the mind. ^_^

If they actually add TIVO like abilities to the PS3 I'm definitely in. I hope the reports are true.

How would that work exactly? I'm no expert, but I am a Tivo owner. The PS3 does not have a TV tuner or any sort of signal inputs... how can you make a game console into a DVR unit when all it has is outs and no ins other than USB? Having recently hooked up my PS3 into my system, which has both a HD Tivo box and an HD satellite box, I do not see how a PS3 can function as a DVR.

Looks like 08 will be the true beginning of the PS3 then, GTA IV, MGS 4, hopefully more good games... :)

You don't have to wait that long. According to Kotaku, Heavenly Sword hits on September 12th.

Even if the PS3 had inputs that could help it become a DVR, the relatively small hard drive would make it run out of room really quick...

How would that work exactly? I'm no expert, but I am a Tivo owner. The PS3 does not have a TV tuner or any sort of signal inputs... how can you make a game console into a DVR unit when all it has is outs and no ins other than USB? Having recently hooked up my PS3 into my system, which has both a HD Tivo box and an HD satellite box, I do not see how a PS3 can function as a DVR.

PS3 is supposed to be getting a TV tuner add-on for next year.

How will it "tune" anything, it has no physical tuner? It also has no physical video inputs.

The only two options would be some crude terrestrial tuner via a USB connection, which would be practically pointless as any standard television already has that capability... OR a USB connection that jumpers between your signal and your cable box or satellite box, which would be kind of pointless because both use encrypted signals for their digital reception and all it would be able to read would be the analog signal which is not much better than OTA broadcast... OR some sort of internet based broadband broadcast which would ALSO be pointless as you'd need a nice computer with a broadband modem, broadband service and a network adapter to connect the PS3 to which itself would have far more options for receiving and recording than the PS3 for internet based television anyway.

The whole thing sounds like some cockamamie gimmick rather than any sort of functional accessory.

I just looked up these rumors of a PS3 "DVR like" capacity and Tuner.

They are all gimmick.

They are all based on the special terrestrial tuner service called Freeview which is not available in the US. It is it's own broadcast service offering it's own channel lineup. Which means if it's on Freeview, you can "DVR" it. If it isn't on Freeview, you can't. Sounds very limiting to me. And the biggest limit of all is that unless Freeview comes stateside we Americans will not be seeing this "accessory" as for all intents and purposes it's married to the Freeview service.

I just looked up these rumors of a PS3 "DVR like" capacity and Tuner.

They are all gimmick.

They are all based on the special terrestrial tuner service called Freeview which is not available in the US. It is it's own broadcast service offering it's own channel lineup. Which means if it's on Freeview, you can "DVR" it. If it isn't on Freeview, you can't. Sounds very limiting to me. And the biggest limit of all is that unless Freeview comes stateside we Americans will not be seeing this "accessory" as for all intents and purposes it's married to the Freeview service.

It wouldn't be that hard to use an USB HD Tuner like the one's that pinnicle makes. Nor would it be that difficult to tie that to the hard drive. As far as encryped signals go though there is no encryption on your outbound signal from your Direct TV or cable box via the coaxial cable. Yes TIVO and Direct TV DVR encrypt what you record but they do not encrypt the outgoing coaxial that you are watching. So a regular signal from an RG6 coaxial would be able to be recorded...albiet that PS3 would probably then encrypt it as it were recorded. Now the hitch is weather Sony will allow you remove what you have recorded to a PC or Burner. That is the sticky point with DVR at the moment. Tivo has a special service, direct Tv doesn't allow you to but have been promising that its coming soon for over 3 years.

I was told by an Xbox rep that the 360 will eventually be doing the same thing.

It wouldn't be that hard to use an USB HD Tuner like the one's that pinnicle makes. Nor would it be that difficult to tie that to the hard drive. As far as encryped signals go though there is no encryption on your outbound signal from your Direct TV or cable box via the coaxial cable.

That is because that signal has already been decrypted by your box. The digital signal carried from the direct line is encrypted... in order to "get" that digital signal you need a popper box with the proper decoding hardware. I cannot just take the direct feed from my satellite dish, plug it's coax into something and expect to record anything. Unless that "thing" has the decode routine it will receive nothing but junk from the signal. The same goes for digital cable... the "digital" signal is encoded. YES you can draw the analog basic cable carrier over a raw coax but in order to get the digital signal you must have a decoder, which means this "tuner" would need a slot for a cable card in order to gain the proper decoder.

Yes TIVO and Direct TV DVR encrypt what you record but they do not encrypt the outgoing coaxial that you are watching.

That's because that is a streaming feed, you don't encode a streaming feed. Basically it is the point A to point B dump into your monitor. You can only record what is being output, which is one channel in real time. It would basically be "dumb box" recording like the old VCR+ scheme... you are not be able to "set your PS3 to record any show on any channel at any time" because you would have to manually set the channel yourself so it was being output and then tell the PS3 "record between X o'clock and Y o'clock" and it would do it, dumb terminal style. That is not how a true DVR is supposed to work.

If you read all the articles about this "tuner" and it' DVR features they all say it is linked to the Freeview terrestrial broadcast service. Which means if you live in a country that has Freeview (which is only the UK right now) your PS3 tuner can tune Freeview as it is OTA terrestrial unencrypted. The tuner would be able to have "true DVR" functionality as it is the tuner/decrypter... but for all intents and purposes it is ONLY for Freeview which is ONLY in the UK right now and has no plans to come to the US, making the whole thing moot.

Edit: It should also be pointed out that all the news aritcles about this "tuner" are all referencing the same source, which was a Sony rep talking to a New Zealand reporter about Freeview services inside New Zealand, which are slated to start March 2008. Everyone is maligning this story into something global when in reality the Sony rep was only talking about a local (New Zealand) event.

I could care less about the whole freeware thing. Frankly, I'll be content if I can use a line from a Driect TV box into it. If not I'll have a friend make me an adaptor that will allow it to do that. It isn't that difficult from an engineering standpoint. It's not like I'm not going to eventually get a modchip for a ps3 anyway which will mostlikely allow home brew applications to do what I want. All I need is for sony too start it off with a basic ability first.

But if the basic ability is inherently linked to a terrestrial broadcast mode like Freeview then the "tuner" will have no inputs to hook anything to... it will just be a little box with a little metal antenna on it with a USB plug out the back. Like what the Xbox 360 Wireless Network adapter looks like. Half the articles reference a "USB Key" like device that plugs in and acts as a terrestrial antenna... and that is about "it" for info on the subject. Just a Sony New Zealand guy opening his mouth about it and an internet rumor storm erupting.

I personally see this becoming nothing more than the Japanese "P-TV" system for the PSP, just as a terrestrial broadcast rather than an "over the internet" broadcast. Plus if the "tuner" is hardwired to only tune Freeview broadcasts then it will be pretty much useless anywhere that does not have Freeview waves in the sky.

I wouldn't say useless since it could enable those of us to extract recorded programming from our direct tv DVR's to a PS3 via playing the movie. A ps3 is much easier and the legal punishments less severe than hacking Direct TV. Even if I couldn't extract it from the PS3 it would give me an added storage depot for movies when my DTV HD DVR is full. I think it would be a big plus for the PS3 and improve sales.

I highly doubt that is what Sony has in mind for this technology.

IMHO this whole thing reeks of "look what else our console can do!" rather than an honest improvement in anyone's entertainment value.

Personally I'd rather see more time spent making some good games rather than trying to sell me "more of the same from a different box".

Even if the PS3 had inputs that could help it become a DVR, the relatively small hard drive would make it run out of room really quick...

If you don't think 80GB is enough, you know you're supposed to watch the shows you recorded, then delete them and buy the DVD sets later, right?

I kid, I kid. Seriously, the PS3's HDD is a standard 2.5" notebook-style internal hard drive with a SATA connector. Instructions for replacing/upgrading are in the PS3 quick reference book, or on the online manual. Newegg has then up to 250GB.