The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I would like to see them improve the web browser that comes with the PS3. Granted, I need to get a keyboard and mouse to fully utilize a web browser, but I would like to see it improved somewhat before I would invest in such a device.

The home page for the web broswer, does anyone else think it is a bit strange and looks a little "less" than polished? I like how it isnt the playstation store wannabe any longer, but I think that they could have put something a little more polished together for the homepage.....maybe it is just me.

Twich

All they need to do is let Opera do a port for the PS3 and I would be happy. Now that I have DTS-HDMA, I don't really need anything else.

I suppose in-game XMB would be nice...

All they need to do is let Opera do a port for the PS3 and I would be happy. Now that I have DTS-HDMA, I don't really need anything else.

I suppose in-game XMB would be nice...

Opera while ok is not that good of a websurfer IMO, on the wii you cant use flash or play mpeg files. PS3 just needs to focus on getting a better web browser that supports flash and mpeg.

Or get apple or Mozilla to write a version of either Safari for Apple or Firefox for Mozilla. I would prefer the Safari, because that is all that I will use as my browser now that I downloaded it for Windows.

Twich

If Sony and MS really want their systems to be multimedia hubs they need to work on supporting more file formats and update their codecs... oh, and improve browsing on both systems. If I use the "genre" search, I shouldn't have to look at a 1,000 songs, I should be looking at the sub folders broken down by genre.

Opera while ok is not that good of a websurfer IMO, on the wii you cant use flash or play mpeg files. PS3 just needs to focus on getting a better web browser that supports flash and mpeg.

I use Opera (with the same settings, bookmarks, and wand passwords) on my Apples (MBP and Mini), my PC's (both Linux and Windows), and my cell phone (Symbian). It supports flash and MPG.

So, does anyone want to speculate as to what the next Firmware update will include? I try to surf the Playstation website for clues, but reading some of the posts there make my brain want to explode. I would like to see more formats supported and a revised web browser. Also, are there any plans for Sony to release an official bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for the PLaystation3? Would the Apple computer bluetooth keyboard/mighty mouse setup work?

Twich

So, does anyone want to speculate as to what the next Firmware update will include? I try to surf the Playstation website for clues, but reading some of the posts there make my brain want to explode. I would like to see more formats supported and a revised web browser. Also, are there any plans for Sony to release an official bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for the PLaystation3? Would the Apple computer bluetooth keyboard/mighty mouse setup work?

Twich

It works. You can use almost any BT mouse and KB.

Trophies will be added (not the 3D Home ones), similar to the Achievements on LIVE in an upcoming firmware. Also, in game XMB is still coming (which update it appears in is a guess though), as well as the Blu-ray portable transfer to PSP, in game chat, etc. Of course, like always, these could be spread all over the place in several updates. I'm guessing that the trophies and chat will make the next one for sure though.

Somewhat related, YouTube can now be integrated in upcoming games. Not sure what for...maybe you can take a video of your game and upload it immediately or something.

Edited by Gaijin

Ok, looking for some feedback here. Basically, I've got my PS2, set up with the Wii, and I had considered the 360 for a while, but everyone I know who has one has had atleast one RRoD, if not several. So, I'm not going there (REALLY wanted to play Fable 2, have to wait for PC, I guess). So anyway, I'm looking to get a Bluray player later this year. Thought crossed my mind, hey, maybe I should get a PS3.

I've done some reading, and I understand that its pretty easy to upgrade the HDD on the PS3, so the size it comes with shouldn't be a deciding factor. The 60GB was compatible with PS2 games (because it had the PS2 cpu and gpu on board?), and the 80GB was partially compatible with PS2 games (emulates the PS2 cpu, has the gpu). Neither of which are still on the market. It doesn't look like future models will be PS2 compatible (40GB can't play PS2 games at all) for the sake of cheaper units. Do I pretty much have all of that right?

So, I have some questions. How is the PS3 as a Bluray player, and is the DVD upscaling fairly decent? Have you found the game lineup to be worth the price, or should I just buy a standalone player?

GTA IV looks great, but by all reports, I'll be able to play it on my PC by the end of the year. MGS4, as well, but I have yet to put more than 15 minutes into III (one of these days). The Force Unleashed is a huge draw for me, and they seem pretty adamant about not releasing it for PC. I've heard rumors of ZOE 3, and I loved the hell out of 2. I guess I'm a little worried I'd be buying a system for a handful of games and a Bluray player...

I've done some reading, and I understand that its pretty easy to upgrade the HDD on the PS3, so the size it comes with shouldn't be a deciding factor. The 60GB was compatible with PS2 games (because it had the PS2 cpu and gpu on board?), and the 80GB was partially compatible with PS2 games (emulates the PS2 cpu, has the gpu). Neither of which are still on the market. It doesn't look like future models will be PS2 compatible (40GB can't play PS2 games at all) for the sake of cheaper units. Do I pretty much have all of that right?

AFAIK, the 80GB unit is still technically on the market, but difficult to find. You could always wait and see what's in the oft-rumored 120GB version. Another alternative is to shop around for a used unit. The PS3's a pretty solid unit, and I occasionally see a 60GB unit turn up at stores like the Exchange and CD Warehouse. While I'm not sure if you have either of those where you live, I'm sure you've got places like 'em.

So, I have some questions. How is the PS3 as a Bluray player

Well, it's the only one I own, so I can't comment from much personal experience, but from what I've read on tech sites and home theater mags, the PS3 is one of the best Blu-ray players you can buy, especially since it's one of the easiest to get and apply firmware updates to. Even if you're not too interested in the gaming side of the PS3, a case could be made that the PS3 is worth buying for Blu-ray playback alone.

and is the DVD upscaling fairly decent?

It's quite good, actually. Occasionally I'll have a movie where I can't quite get the right aspect ratio to display (and even then, I might have jerked with the settings), but the picture quality is fantastic. I use my PS3 as my sole DVD player in my living room.

Have you found the game lineup to be worth the price, or should I just buy a standalone player?

Have standalone Blu-ray players come down in price much? I think the PS3 is worth it, even if you wind up buying a separate HDMI cable and Bluetooth remote. I mean, I already had a 360 and I'm still content to buy multi-platform games for it, so I got my PS3 pretty much for Blu-ray and the odd PS3 exclusive. Considering that you don't have a 360, and will also buy games for it that are multi-platform, I definitely recommend it to you.

Fun tip, not just for DT but for everyone on this thread, Target seems to clearance PS3 games faster and cheaper than Xbox 360. So even though I usually buy multi-platform games for 360, I've been buying PS3 games lately on clearance. For example, last week I snagged the Orange Box for $15. At that price, I figured it was worth it just for Portal.

I've seen the 60GB new on eBay for 500-600, just not sure if I really need backwards compatibility. My release day PS2 still runs extremely well, I'd just like to have less hardware floating around. :)

Honestly, I would recommend the PS3 just for the Blu-Ray player aspect of it, but as far as games are concerned, I have the 60GB model and I gave my son my XBox 360 because I am just not interested in anything that is available for it currently, and I have focused solely on my PS3 for games and for the Blu-Ray, and it is an ever evolving system that is constantly seeing firmware updates and improvesments. I recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone.

Yeah, I dig my 80 gig version. I'm more into the movie and audio playback capabilities than using it for games. I would recommend it just for that. I really see the PS3 more as a media hub that just happens to play games.

I do all my dvd viewing with my ps3 and have been pretty impressed with the upscaling.

Is there a way to have your ps3 pick up where it left off if you turn it off during the middle of a dvd? That's the only thing I don't like about it as a player, and was something the 360 was pretty smart about.

I do all my dvd viewing with my ps3 and have been pretty impressed with the upscaling.

Is there a way to have your ps3 pick up where it left off if you turn it off during the middle of a dvd? That's the only thing I don't like about it as a player, and was something the 360 was pretty smart about.

the previous update included that feature

IMHO, if you buy just one game for it, then the PS3 will have paid for itself as a "gaming-capable" Blu-Ray player. I plan to make it my main DVD player too, based on its upscaling capabilities. My "long-term" set-up will have my 360 as my main gaming machine, while the PS3 will mainly be a DVD and Blu-Ray player, plus the occasional exclusive game. (like MGS4 and FF XIII)

Yeah, not going to touch the 360. I am not going to deal with its chronic hardware problems.

Note that the PS3 also plays Divx & various MPEG formats, which means it's easy to pop episodes of Frontier & whatnot onto the harddrive, and watch them on your TV. Plus MGO needs a Duke Togo hang out & snipe from the shadows.

Edited by Keith

Note that the 360 does as well.

That wasn't the issue, since he already decided against a 360. I was pointing out another form of usefullness a PS3 purchase would serve.

So far I've been enjoying my PS3. I upgraded from the stock 60GB to 160GB. Taking out and installing a new HD takes 10 minutes.

Game line up has been improving all year long. I'd like to see more 3D fighters but that is niche market now.

Waiting for the in-game XMB menu..need to listen to my music when I play certain games. Although an update for Burnout Paradise is coming soon to allow custom soundtracks. Which should have been there from the start.

Probably the best DVD upconversion I've seen. The ability to dump Divx or other mpg movies on the HD is a big plus. Only if it supported mkv files..save me alot of time lol

I thought you couldn't use a foreign credit card with a PSN store. I signed up for the Hong Kong store to download some demos. I went to the PSOne section... I used my US street address but located in Causeway Bay,HK..it worked.. so I downloaded Samurai Spirits 1 & 2, Guilty Gear and Resident Evil 2 to use on the PSP/PS3. Why can't the US store have this stuff?

I'm plondering the idea of a purchase, depending on how things go in the next month or so.

I was going to use my kicker to go on vacation, but I think my vacation went to hell over the weekend, and when I went to gamestop yesterday to pick up a slim ps2 so i can mod it (just need the flip top and screw it back on and it's done) I made a crack about MGS4.

Guy tthere told me they were coming out with color variants with a free copy of the game, 80 gig version at the same price.

I wish I could see pictures of those variants so I might make my decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also considering a PS3 so I thought I'd ask your guys opinion on the 2 current models.

If I'm going to swap the HD for a bigger one anyway, I have a USB card reader, and I have a ps2 to play ps2 games, why would I want spent $100 extra for the 80g model?

I'm also considering a PS3 so I thought I'd ask your guys opinion on the 2 current models.

If I'm going to swap the HD for a bigger one anyway, I have a USB card reader, and I have a ps2 to play ps2 games, why would I want spent $100 extra for the 80g model?

If you don't need PS2 in your PS3, there's no real reason why the 40 won't serve you well. YOu can add a card reader, a USB hub, and a bigger HDD if you want.