The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Bottom line, then, is that my DVD player, Xbox 360, and PS3 all play a lot of the Divx/Xvid files that I want, but none of them play them all. What's more, while there's some mpeg and Windows Media video support, there are plenty of other codecs/containers that aren't. Even though most of the video I have is Divx, why take chances? I'm going to build a HTPC.

I put some fansubbed anime in, they didn't work for me. The DivX encoded stuff showed up and played fine, but the Xvid encoded stuff showed up as "Unsupported Data."

From Kotaku

"While DivX movies can be played from a DVD or USB storage on the PS3 just fine, for whatever reason, XviD files need to be copied to the PS3 hard drive to play. It's a small technicality, but it's the sort of technicality that will save you 30 minutes of pulling your hair out and a lifetime of regret from losing that 30 minutes."

I never latched on to the concept of remote play, help a brotha out here. Is the concept that you can play your PS1 or PSN games on the PSP if you are at a hotspot and have the game active in the PS3?

I just downloaded the PS3 update today and yes, you can play any PS1 disc on your PSP through the PS3. Basically the PS3 streams the game to your PSP, so far it works great with a little to no skipping, I'm impressed by how much data the PSP can process through its 802.11b connection.

So far I haven't been able to figure out a way to save the whole disc to the psp's memory card. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if isn't then you can only play PS1 games on the PSP as long as you're within range of a wireless connection and the PS3 is running. Not really helpful if you're on a plane and want to play PS1 games on the go.

What...? :blink:

I know that circuit city had a deal like that going on a few months ago. buy a Sony HDTV (I don't remember what model) and a PS3 with i it was just before the 40 and 80 gig ones came out.

So far I haven't been able to figure out a way to save the whole disc to the psp's memory card. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if isn't then you can only play PS1 games on the PSP as long as you're within range of a wireless connection and the PS3 is running. Not really helpful if you're on a plane and want to play PS1 games on the go.

ok..so basically, this feature give you an option of playing PS1 games on a big screen or a little screen if you own a psp? my question would be why would you play it on a little screen if you can play it on the big screen?

ok..so basically, this feature give you an option of playing PS1 games on a big screen or a little screen if you own a psp? my question would be why would you play it on a little screen if you can play it on the big screen?

AFAIK, you don't have to be in range of your wi-fi, just in range of some wi-fi. Put the game in, leave the PS3 on, play SotN at Panera. Or something like that.

I know that circuit city had a deal like that going on a few months ago. buy a Sony HDTV (I don't remember what model) and a PS3 with i it was just before the 40 and 80 gig ones came out.

I remember that 'promo. I knew quite a few families that suddenly had a PS3 and didn't even really know what to do with it-they were in it for the t.v.!

I wish sony would open up the PS3 & PSP a little more. Would it kill them to allow PS1 games to be copied to the memory stick? It's not like they'd be losing money on sales of games that aren't sold anymore... Same goes for imports, just open up the damn imports for older game platforms (ps1-ps2), same reason as above, and it would cut back on that much modding.

I just downloaded the PS3 update today and yes, you can play any PS1 disc on your PSP through the PS3. Basically the PS3 streams the game to your PSP, so far it works great with a little to no skipping, I'm impressed by how much data the PSP can process through its 802.11b connection.

I was messing around with that last night. Kinda cool I guess. Dug out Omega Boost and Tenchu. They played pretty well.

AFAIK, you don't have to be in range of your wi-fi, just in range of some wi-fi. Put the game in, leave the PS3 on, play SotN at Panera. Or something like that.

Yes, that's how I believe that's how it works. So far I've only played PS1 games on my own wireless network, I'll have to try from another open wireless connection like Paneras.

I wish sony would open up the PS3 & PSP a little more. Would it kill them to allow PS1 games to be copied to the memory stick? It's not like they'd be losing money on sales of games that aren't sold anymore...

Like I said, I'm not 100% certain if you can now legally rip PS1 games to memory sticks. But if not, then I totally agree with you. If I could rip PS1 games to my PSP memory sticks then I'd be buying a ton more memory sticks so that I could have all my favorite games on the go, and more memory sticks sold is more money in Sony's bank. One reason I don't think Sony went this route is that they're afraid of people making hundreds of copies of SotN on memory sticks and reselling them. If that were the case Sony could encrypt each ISO so that it will only play on the PSP that's registered with it's corresponding PS3. Oh well, leave it to Sony to shoot themselves in the foot again.

Does anyone know of a geek speak dictionary, while online playing games I get a lot of geek speak which I just can't seem to understand, things like gg ftw tt ...........etc :blink:

I can figure some out but most of the time I find myself unable to communicate with them. I know this is not just a ps3 thing as I've seen it being used in the forum, but I seem to be getting a lot of it when playing the PS3, since it has no keyboard i can see why people would use geek speak.

"gg" is indeed "good game"... which was made quite popular in Starcraft online battles. In fact, the computer game shows in Korea from the 2001 and 2002 started broadcasting world Starcraft tournaments as well as local tournaments. "gg" was used by the opponent who forfeits, knowing there is no way in hell they can turn the tide of the game.

I bought a Playstation 3 - 60 GB just during the Summer in late July if I recall, and upgraded it to a 160 GB HD.

If anyone would like to add me to their PSN list - "Spatulaorama", and I play a lot of COD4, but I'm more on playing my newly acquired Xbox 360 now, so I keep both my systems on and simply switch with an HDMI switcher.

Has anybody else played the bowling game yet? My 6 year old loves it. But, I had to invent my own ps3 controller wrist-strap for fear of losing my 50inch plasma. And what do y'know. After my kids' 10th fling the controller sailed out of his hand - and bounced back at him. *yes!*

Has anybody else played the bowling game yet? My 6 year old loves it. But, I had to invent my own ps3 controller wrist-strap for fear of losing my 50inch plasma. And what do y'know. After my kids' 10th fling the controller sailed out of his hand - and bounced back at him. *yes!*

You mean there is a PS3 bowling game?? I want the name!! I've playing bowling on my wii, but the graphic is nowhere near the PS3.

okay this is going to be a newbie questions regarding hd. I have a jap p3 which of course plays hd/blue ray reg2 dvds. However i have a regular tv =( which i hook up the p3 with the regular a/v cords that came with the system. Upon playing a disc there are a few seconds that it goes blue (although with soud), then goes back to the picture. I tried the other dvd to see if it was the dvd's. Upon examination it seems that it is the cable, which is the conclusion that i came up with. Any input if I need to get special cables or go but a hd tv?

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but the PS3 will work on both Standard Definition and High Definition TV's without any problems. The stock a/v cables that the PS3 comes packed with should work on any Standard Definition TV, I say "should" since I've never actually used mine, instead opting for HDMI. If your SD a/v cables are bad then get some new ones, if you want to save money then grab the a/v cables that the PS2 uses, it'll work on the PS3 too.

Got a Dualshock 3 from Frank & Sons for $60 today.

Never really missed vibration that much but I wanted a new controller anyway and the ceramic white was too good to pass up at that price.

Tried out Lego Star Wars Complete Saga and Gran Turismo 5 so far and just like I remember it. Probably put in some San Andreas and Battlestar:Galactica for old times sake. I am still really hoping they come out with the Batarang (looks VERY ergonomic) and that they can put some improved cell-phone style variants to rumble in there. I want at least "dot" and "dash" in addition to the more "normal" rumble... I mean if my work provided RAZR can do those, a game controller can sure as hell do that...

I am lovin' Uncharted! This is one of the funnest games I've ever played. I bought it and then sort of forgot about it; but recently I started really playing it, and I'm hooked. The graphics are original, and crazy gorgeous. For anyone who hasn't bought this game yet, trust me, once you make it to the part where you ride the jet ski up-river your jaw will drop (for the 10th time.) If it doesn't then you've got to be soulless.

I picked up Unreal T3 today, which was weird because I didn't even know it was out and I just happened by it. Bad news is now I have to go buy one of those split-fish mouse controllers to enjoy this game. The good news is, the game looks nice... but you just can't play Unreal Tournament with a standard controller, especially since they made this game as fast-paced as the stinkin' PC version. Looks like this one will be on the shelf for a while.

I am lovin' Uncharted! This is one of the funnest games I've ever played. I bought it and then sort of forgot about it; but recently I started really playing it, and I'm hooked. The graphics are original, and crazy gorgeous. For anyone who hasn't bought this game yet, trust me, once you make it to the part where you ride the jet ski up-river your jaw will drop (for the 10th time.) If it doesn't then you've got to be soulless.

I picked up Unreal T3 today, which was weird because I didn't even know it was out and I just happened by it. Bad news is now I have to go buy one of those split-fish mouse controllers to enjoy this game. The good news is, the game looks nice... but you just can't play Unreal Tournament with a standard controller, especially since they made this game as fast-paced as the stinkin' PC version. Looks like this one will be on the shelf for a while.

Why don't you just use a USB keyboard and mouse? UT3 supports it.

well i have been thinking about a 80gb PS3 but i have recently heard of the story about the small microchip company trying to recall of them. While i highly doubt that's possible it makes me second guess the purchase. I really want to play MGS4, as well as FF13 and other upcoming exclusives and i am loyal to playstation, though i have had a lot of fun playin a 360 lately. So what is the best course of action? Wait and see or just jump in?

well i have been thinking about a 80gb PS3 but i have recently heard of the story about the small microchip company trying to recall of them. While i highly doubt that's possible it makes me second guess the purchase. I really want to play MGS4, as well as FF13 and other upcoming exclusives and i am loyal to playstation, though i have had a lot of fun playin a 360 lately. So what is the best course of action? Wait and see or just jump in?

wait until those exclusives come out... maybe there will another price break, who knows? But you're playing the 360 NOW so why not get that?

I'm not loyal to either, I'm loyal to me, and I like games. I don't care when platform they're on.

I'm not loyal to either, I'm loyal to me, and I like games. I don't care when platform they're on.

Indeed, after owning all 3 of the current consoles, I do like each of them somewhat equally, however now I'm spending most of the time on the 360 due to the tons of games I'd love to try (despite many of them are also cross platform with said PS3). I really don't care who wins or what the market conditions are, I just want to have fun.

I had no allegiances until Microsoft screwed me over with my out-of-the-box-into-the-repair-shop Xbox 360. Now I'm all about my PC and Ps3. Wii (Gamecube 1.5) will never be my cup of tea until they can make one with graphics that are actually on par with the times.

I am only playin the 360 cause it's all my brothers have. When i get back to tampa i will play my friends PS3. I have played both and like both. I want to stay with playstation cause i still have ps2 and 1 games that i can still play. Plus it's a blu-ray player which i really want too. I am ready to experience HD anything, and so far i have been behind the times.

I got a external 300gb USB hdd, my PS3 can read and copy from it, but how do i copy files from my ps3 to the external hdd?. I got Lemmings on my hdd which i would like to copy and also my game saves from other games. I have created four folders on my usb hdd, photo, video, music and game. Also i can't seem to access my pictures on the usb hdd. Do pictures have to be a certain format and size? :blink:

I am only playin the 360 cause it's all my brothers have. When i get back to tampa i will play my friends PS3. I have played both and like both. I want to stay with playstation cause i still have ps2 and 1 games that i can still play. Plus it's a blu-ray player which i really want too. I am ready to experience HD anything, and so far i have been behind the times.

well, you better start looking for an older PS3 then, the newer ones only do software legacy support.