Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

So far I've exercised so much self control that I've only bought one product from Yamato (my soul bears deep, red scars from this from the inner battle from most of Grahams announcements).

But I must have this with the 19 - looks like it's living off raman noodles for a while (if you eat the packaging too you can go an extra week without spending money).

Still, if we weren't divorced already, Yamato would be on mentioned repeatedly on the divorce letter.

[vent] Okay, so I'm seeing now that the anniversary valks are up for preorder. Has it occurred to anyone else that we're getting completely friggin' ripped off by Yamato (and others) these days? How many people wanna bet the new YF-19 doesn't come with fast packs or a fold drive? Are you still going to spend $200 to get it (after shipping and all that good stuff)? Graham stated that the 1/48 was initially expected to be a very limited scale series featuring only a few extremely popular paint schemes yet the 1/48 VF-1 did not debut with a price tag of $200... it was much closer to $100 (about $130-$150 to get one to the states). So, if the 1/48 was only that much and was only expected to have three or so repaints, and it's clear we're going to get at least that many with the YF-19, why the $50 idiot tax? It doesn't stop there though, even the VF-1 has gone up in price despite the fact that mold was probably profitable five releases ago. Now I know one of my fellow economists is thinking "Dude, it's the value of the Yen to the dollar." Really? If that were true the most expensive point to buy 1/48 VF-1 toys would have been January of 05 and they'd be CHEAPER right now. In fact, our dollar was as strong as the day the first 1/48 was released in recent history (admittedly it has slumped recently... but it's still well above where it was for the majority of 05.

It strikes me as terribly odd that this is a board of typically very friendly members yet we haven't been able to do a lot more to save each other money. It also saddens me that when people do go out of there way to try to save people some funds we get members like Agent GHQ trying to ruin it for everyone. I wish Amenbo didn't disappear :(.

[/vent]

the CAD for battroid mode is looking good but the center torso doesn't look accurate at all. compare the nose on the front view battroid pic with the nose in the top view CAD of fighter mode. the nose looks waaay fat and stubby. i'm convinced the toy is gonna look way better in the flesh than the CAD. the CAD of the nose in battroid mode just looks waaay too inaccurate compared to the CAD of the fighter mode. it looks like they printed the drawing wrong or something.

the CAD for battroid mode is looking good but the center torso doesn't look accurate at all. compare the nose on the front view battroid pic with the nose in the top view CAD of fighter mode. the nose looks waaay fat and stubby. i'm convinced the toy is gonna look way better in the flesh than the CAD. the CAD of the nose in battroid mode just looks waaay too inaccurate compared to the CAD of the fighter mode. it looks like they printed the drawing wrong or something.

if you're looking at the CAD I reposted, I'm pretty sure I accidentally made the image wider than it really is.

post-5632-1189416065.gif

[vent] Okay, so I'm seeing now that the anniversary valks are up for preorder. Has it occurred to anyone else that we're getting completely friggin' ripped off by Yamato (and others) these days? How many people wanna bet the new YF-19 doesn't come with fast packs or a fold drive? Are you still going to spend $200 to get it (after shipping and all that good stuff)? Graham stated that the 1/48 was initially expected to be a very limited scale series featuring only a few extremely popular paint schemes yet the 1/48 VF-1 did not debut with a price tag of $200... it was much closer to $100 (about $130-$150 to get one to the states). So, if the 1/48 was only that much and was only expected to have three or so repaints, and it's clear we're going to get at least that many with the YF-19, why the $50 idiot tax? It doesn't stop there though, even the VF-1 has gone up in price despite the fact that mold was probably profitable five releases ago. Now I know one of my fellow economists is thinking "Dude, it's the value of the Yen to the dollar." Really? If that were true the most expensive point to buy 1/48 VF-1 toys would have been January of 05 and they'd be CHEAPER right now. In fact, our dollar was as strong as the day the first 1/48 was released in recent history (admittedly it has slumped recently... but it's still well above where it was for the majority of 05.

It strikes me as terribly odd that this is a board of typically very friendly members yet we haven't been able to do a lot more to save each other money. It also saddens me that when people do go out of there way to try to save people some funds we get members like Agent GHQ trying to ruin it for everyone. I wish Amenbo didn't disappear :(.

[/vent]

Agreed, just look at the amount of yamato valks all the members own, and don't get me wrong I love my yammies to death but I always seem a little disapointed when my purchase arrives. This board has to be the largest macross sight I know of and most of the members seem really friendly and helpful so united we "should" have some power over companies with pricing and QC. What would yamato think if no macross world members ordered the latest release until at least QC was up to scratch, would it make a difference? Probably not but I wonder.

The new SV-51 has shown flaws nothing really major but they are there and when you pay nearly $300.00 AUD which is probably half your weekly wage down here. This is why I beleave the revoltech items will sell like hot cakes, they may not transform but for $20.00 Aussie dollars who cares. I know I'm off topic here but I just want the YF-21 to be 98% perfect ( 2% loss due to china making them) and not have ugly stress marks or broken parts. Just make us all a nice toy to play and/or display at a price that stops my wife slapping me silly, that all............please.

And by the way I think the cad drawings look great but I am with the others and think the feet look a little small (back on topic).

You know I love you Yamato......you know.......come on ........wheres my perfect valk.

post-5632-1189416314.gif

I thought the 1/48 was perfect, but ok...

Also did i miss a page somewhere, or are we in the 21 thread? Whyere did this come from in elation to the 21?

I guess I just really want this to be perfect and what I said relates to all yamato products that are in production or going to be in production including the soon to be released 21. As I said I like yamato's products, I buy yamato's products and I'll buy a 21 even if it does have small feet as I think it looks awesome fromwhat you can make out in the cad drawings.

My 1/48 is about 85% prefect for the price. But I love him all the same.

Nose/fuselage too fat when viewed from above in fighter mode, same problem as YF-19. Looks good in battroid to me. It's heretical to say so, but IMO in some ways the 1/72 Mac+ valks looked better (yes, I have both 1/72 and 1/60 YF-19's).

The 1/48 VF-1 had really superior construction compared to the early Yamato valks, but with the recent breakage problems, it seems that Yamato toys are getting worse. I hope the YF-21 is a return to the solidity of the wonderful 1/48 VF-1.

Yes, it's heretical shaggydog, I'm going to stab you with a pitchfork now! :p;):lol: (and just so you know, I'm joking)

I'm seriously curious which parts look better to you on the 1/72 YF-19, though. And, I agree, I hope that the YF-21 is nice and solid (and has no BP-8-ish parts).

Bring on the Vf-1 levels of goodness.

While improving on things like hands and tampo printing of markings.

Yep and make the joints and swivel actions tight but not tight that they crack things, but just have some kind of joints that click so you can pose them. I wonder how this will stand in GERWALK with such small feet though? It's just like the "darth vader has small hands" thing.

By the time they get to the VF-11, all the newer yf-19 and yf-21 should be "safe" for the chickens to go and buy I hope. :D

For those of you that did buy earlier releases: have you considered selling them cheap and then using the money to buy a future upgraded version with fixes to all the nitpicks outline in these boards? It might mean more valks in more people's hands, and those who complained about price light cave in if they can save a few $ because the minor nitpicks are easy to fix for them.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Don't worry about the Battroid CAD art. In real life, it looks awesome.

We had the same thing with the VF-0 and YF-19 CAD art making the toys look chunkier than they actually are. Plus that posted CAD art opic has definitely been stretched horizontally.

Graham

We had the same thing with the VF-0 and YF-19 CAD art making the toys look chunkier than they actually are. Plus that posted CAD art opic has definitely been stretched horizontally.

Graham

yeah, I figured as much, but since I fiddled around with the picture while entertaining my baby, I don't feel too badly about it. :p

I think that's because in battroid mode, the nose reduces itself so the battroid mode will have a shorter crotch, pretty much like the VF-1. Notice the 4 red diamond sensor things (whatchucallthem) that are there in the fighter mode but 2 are absent in the battroid mode, probably because the nose cone slided inside somewhere below the canopy.

And about the legs being small...this is after all the YF-21's sillouhette. It'll look much better if you pull an A stance with it i'm sure. I'm worried about the ball joints on the thigh though. That thing has to be tight otherwise battroid mode will fall on itself. The ankles have to have tight ratchet joints and the thigh swivels (to pull off A stance) SHOULD be ratchets as well. I'm not sure why Yamato never used rachet joints for all their thigh swivels as they tend to get loose easily. My VF-0S is loose as heck and falls easily in gerwalk A stance.

Graham

Yeah I wasn't worried, esp because the CAD in fighter looked great. It just looked so obviously distorted compared to the fighter CAD so i thought I'd mention it.

CAD drawings always suck IMO. Too bad this wasn't like the SV-51 where Yamato skipped the ugly CAD and gave us gorgeus pics of all three modes right from the start.

Guess the bit by bit of information method builds more expectations.

Edited by Twoducks

I don't worry about Battroid, period. This entire project rests on how F mode translates from lineart to reality...

this is graham's pic. that piece can easily get stress or crack when you lock the arm to the thruster for fighter mode.

Yes, my 1/72 too.. Mine is alreday cracked since 2 years.. Yes Broken.... It was my first broken yamato ... before the doomed VF-0 of course..

I hope this time, Yam will make the shoulder correctly... :huh:

Graham

Fantastic news! I knew this was gonna be a great sculpt.

Graham

So do you think Yamato will release some clean CAD scans for us to look at?

I think the 21's CAD looks better then the VF-0 and YF-19 CAD art did, and both of those turned out great IRL. So this one should also be quite impressive when we start seeing the proto's.

Grammar edit

Edited by Busted VF1A

Graham

Personnally, I'm pretty pleased with Yamato's latest releases. I've yet to experience any major flaws with stuff. The YF-19, VF-0A Shin and SV-51 Ivanov are really gorgeous so I'm sure I'll be pleased with the YF-21.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Lonewolf

I'm gonna trust on Graham's words. If those CADs are not as accurate as he says, then the YF-21 should look better and much like the linearts.