Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

Man, I hope they can pull it off! Im not a huge fan of Battroid mode with the 21, but the fighter isnt bad.

As for a FP bundle; using the Fold again would be the smart move, since it would mean getting toi use the tooling again. the 21s FP's are also a bit more complicated than the 19's; the guns need to be collapsable and the bottom plates need their own retractable wheels (As i understand it). While i guess a Ghost is a possibility, I kinda doubt it myself.

Graham,

Do you have input in the design? My biggest concern would be to mimmick the D-Stance model kit and have the legs and arms detach for that Final moment when Guld takes the ghost out in the Movie Edition.

Almost a decade of dreaming is finally becoming a reality. I just MIGHT have to start paying attention to Yamato's matters again. It would be worth seeing this thing just to see how accurate the F mode is to the lineart; the more accurate the more difficult/impossible it would be to design a toy. Bring it on...

Edited by myk

Man, I hope they can pull it off! Im not a huge fan of Battroid mode with the 21, but the fighter isnt bad.

As for a FP bundle; using the Fold again would be the smart move, since it would mean getting toi use the tooling again. the 21s FP's are also a bit more complicated than the 19's; the guns need to be collapsable and the bottom plates need their own retractable wheels (As i understand it). While i guess a Ghost is a possibility, I kinda doubt it myself.

the actual location of the rear landing gears is not on the belly plates but on the underside of the wingroot. as shown here:

http://starshipmodeler.com/mecha/tm_YF21.htm

and from a previous post of Graham's, I think yamato is going to model it right this time.

YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUST....WAIT....FOR.......2ND....RELEASE.........

ah geez luiz, i haven't even completed my 1/48 valkyries, and yet to puchase a vf-0a and an sv-51 ... now the YF-21 ! oh man. i hope to finish paying off our wedding by jan 2008, buy a mt. bike...and maybe save up for this baby.

<singing> Haaaaaaaaal.....le-lu-jah! HAAAAAAAAALL.....LE-LU-JAH!!! </singing>

Glad to see this finally and officially confirmed.

Of course, they give us the one angle that doesn't give us any clues as to how thin and sleek this bird may or may not be. :rolleyes:

I really do hope the first release includes the Fast Packs. But it's still gonna be a fun 6 to 8 months, agonizing over every little detail of this release.

BTW, is it too early for me to start commissioning folks to make a custom YF-21? :lol:

Edited by Mog

Notice the length of the nose and the seem lines, me thinks they will be using the same, or similar, transformation method as the old WF exclusive, maybe they are basing the sculpt off it, sweet.

No and no.

Graham

I'm so happy I can't believe it. The YF 21 1/72 is my favorite Yamato toy yet despite it's flaws (not that it has too many). A 21 in 1/60 scale given the experience Yamato already has on this particular design and the great kits out there can only mean that the 21 is going to be one hell of a toy.

Hey Graham, can you tell us anything about the actual prototype other than "it looks great"? Like how does the landing gear works, how sleek it is from the side and if it has any gimmicks? :)

Not allowed to say anything, but I don't think I'll get in trouble if I say it's sleek and the landing gear works real well.

Graham

Still waiting for the Raven's yf-19, hopefully with boosters.

I do have a yf-21 1/72, and i will wait for a second or third version of the yf-21 (indeed one of the best planes out there), which will hopefully have boosters, and if its a different color scheme, a stealth or low vis wouldnt be bad, but i wouldnt mine the orange color either (only for the yf-21 though, NOT for the yf-19).

damn, something I must say is how I respect the G-man for knowing all this secrets and yet having the patience to put up with our undending complaining and arguing about absolutely everything, ahahha!

if I were him I would've cracked a long time ago and spilled everything so all of us would finally shut the hell up

Well, if the wheels are ina diff spot, that does make a sifference, but that doesnt mean the molding for FP's is still a bit more complex than the 19's

How big is the ghost compared to the 21? And even assuming its about the same size as the Zero Ghost (And Ive always thought it was bigger) then thats going to be a VERY pricey bundle package if they did em together with the 21!

Well, if the wheels are ina diff spot, that does make a sifference, but that doesnt mean the molding for FP's is still a bit more complex than the 19's

How big is the ghost compared to the 21? And even assuming its about the same size as the Zero Ghost (And Ive always thought it was bigger) then thats going to be a VERY pricey bundle package if they did em together with the 21!

If the FAST packs for the YF-21 are anime accurate, they have to be more complex, since they also act to house the gun units, one on each plate. while the YF-19's FP doesn't really do much.

Wings are not a bad size, and it doesn't look so fat like the 1/72.

I hope they tweak it to make the engines bigger though.

BUt if the real thing looks good, than that's great!

the actual location of the rear landing gears is not on the belly plates but on the underside of the wingroot. as shown here:

http://starshipmodeler.com/mecha/tm_YF21.htm

and from a previous post of Graham's, I think yamato is going to model it right this time.

That means the wings would have to be slightly thicker with a cavity to accomodate the rear landing gears?

Yeah man, i love the word "Sleek" cos thats wats impt in the design of the YF-19 and YF-21. Now the question is how did yamato modify the legs storage compartment such that the YF-21 have a slimmer profile?

That means the wings would have to be slightly thicker with a cavity to accomodate the rear landing gears?

Yeah man, i love the word "Sleek" cos thats wats impt in the design of the YF-19 and YF-21. Now the question is how did yamato modify the legs storage compartment such that the YF-21 have a slimmer profile?

you make the gears twist, so the wheel lies flat horizontally instead of vertically.

you make the gears twist, so the wheel lies flat horizontally instead of vertically.

Which is how Kawamori has designed the gear of most every valk, and many real planes do it to save space. It's just that the YF-21 is about the only design where it's critical that a *toy* do it too---you can get away with non-rotating gear on a toy -19 and -1 because the legs are deep enough (and hollow) to accomodate a non-rotating wheel. But the YF-21 retracts its gear into the wing roots, and needs the rotating wheels to do so.

The original Yamato YF-21 has paper-thin wing roots, and no fuselage sides---merely the exposed arms. Which is why the gear couldn't be done right at all----that part of the plane mode basically didn't exist.

I so know what you mean Vermillion21, I'd love the VF-11B before the YF-21. But, on the other hand if the 21 is first, that means that they're going to have that much more experience they can use in doing the VF-11! :D

As for how they could make the fighter mode sleek... I'm willing to bet there's going to be some ingenious thing they've worked out, not unlike the connection of the arms and legs of the YF-19 in fighter mode.

Until we see a prototype, I'm not going to judge the proportions too harshly. I remember a lot of us were ragging on the YF-19 line-art, complaining about the gullet, that proportions were off, that it was too anorexic looking. The YF-19 came out looking good when we finally saw the prototype. So I'll wait for some pics of the prototype before I start griping.

I so know what you mean Vermillion21, I'd love the VF-11B before the YF-21. But, on the other hand if the 21 is first, that means that they're going to have that much more experience they can use in doing the VF-11! :D

I am probably going to get flak for this: but the YF-21 is just so chunky compared to the more sleeker 11B, IMHO.

Mind you, I am still going to pickup the 21 ...

:ph34r:

Maybe the 2nd edition though, to avoid QC issues!

:lol:

Edited by Vermillion21