All-New Skin - Feedback

We finally have a skin that matches the color scheme of the main site. I hope everyone likes it. Please let me know below!

All I ask is that you. . .

• Try the skin for at least a little while before announcing that you hate it.
  • Please recognize that the color-scheme is based on the main site (that was sorta the point).
  • Take into account that I just spent about twenty straight hours suffering through the mind-numbing task of tweaking just about every freakin' button and image by hand so that it matches the new backgrounds (etc.). So, try to be constructive or at least polite while telling me that you hate it. ;) Lest I weep openly. :(

. . . And before anyone mentions it. . . :lol:

No, the new skin is not the cause of the slow performance we're seeing on the server tonight. I was noticing it before I uploaded the new skin. The server is acting like it's chugging a bit. But, that's a low-level thing that's beyond my control. Hopefully it'll just work itself out.

FYI, this skin is actually much smaller (by an order of magnitude) than the light-blue default IPB skin that makes use of all those gradients on every button.

Thank for the effort Hurin! I think it looks great, exept for the banner, which is a bit bland IMHumbleO. Maybe we can do a banner designing contest. I'm sure there are plenty of Photoshop talents on the board that would like to have go at creating a banner.

Don't worry. . . I'm not going to crawl into the fetal position beneath my desk. ^_^

I also thought it might be a bit hard to recognize the Macross up there. But. . . well. . . that's where we seperate the true fans from the casual weenies.

But seriously, though I prefer something simple (dare I say "elegant") to something "overdone". . . I have no problem uploading a different banner if someone comes up with one that everyone (or a large majority) go crazy about.

Now where was that favorite/bookmark icon. . . :unsure:

I just re-uploaded the favorite icon (creates the little UN Spacy Kite icon in your bookmarks/favorites for the site) that was wiped out during the server move.

You won't see it, however, unless you delete any existing bookmarks or quicklinks and clear your browser's cache.

I just re-uploaded the favorite icon (creates the little UN Spacy Kite icon in your bookmarks/favorites for the site) that was wiped out during the server move.

Looks a lot nicer, fits in with the boardish theme.

Loving it even more. :)

The banner, buttons and some of the title bars feel a tad too dark. Any chance of making them a tad bit lighter?

Well, they're the exact same color as the dark blue used on the front page.

And, well, changing the buttons is a major pain in the butt. So, I'll change them when the front page changes. :p

Edit: I've also noticed that the darker aspects all look a lot better when many of them are visible at once. Such as on the index page or when the banner is showing. But, yes, sometimes those dark blue buttons sitting all alone (as you scroll down and get away from the other dark blue elements) can seem a bit jarring.

Isn't Macrossworld one word, though?

I seem(ed) to recall (when debating this myself last night) that at one point Shawn and Graham gave the definitive answer that it is indeed two words. We just think of it as one word because of the URL. It appears as two words in other logos on the main site. So I went with that.

I seem(ed) to recall (when debating this myself last night) that at one point Shawn and Graham gave the definitive answer that it is indeed two words. We just think of it as one word because of the URL. It appears as two words in other logos on the main site. So I went with that.

I had the same problem when I did the banner for the main site. IIRC Graham wanted it to be two words.

I'd have to tweak that so that part of it becomes "infinite" so that it stretches appropriately across the entire banner. But that's exactly what I wanted for MN a long time ago. Almost down to the tiniest detail. Neato!

I worry though that the loss of the dark blue in the logo will cause the rest of the skin color scheme to sorta "fall apart" and lose cohesion. If at all possible, it would be good for any banners/logos to make use of that dark blue background so that it fits with the rest of the skin (and more importantly, the not-easily-changed buttons).

I could make a Nexus version of this one and have another go at creating one for MW using this dark blue background. I noticed that the banner is made up of a small gif that is repeated along the widht of the page. I can make a gif that would fit in with the fuselage colors like on the right side of my banner.

I could make a Nexus version of this one and have another go at creating one for MW using this dark blue background.

Well, after I utterly failed at that fuselage design, I settled on the existing MN scheme. Which I've grown somewhat attached to now. But thanks!

Best,

H

Made some more...

mwforumbanner03hq7.jpg

Same as above, but using the dark background.

mwforumbanner04xp7.jpg

Same without the panellines.

mwforumbanner05dp2.jpg

Using a mirrored effect that seems to be quite popular these days.

mwforumbanner06rf7.jpg

The old one using the new background color.

mwforumbanner07hx6.jpg

Same, but with the 'old skool' logo.

The "Top" and "Report" buttons don't match the rest. (Personally, I like the Top and Report colors better)

That is correct. They are "faded". . . just as they were in the original/default IPB skin. ;)