Do you remember....

1 VF-1 2NV

Just a continuation from the old board:

don't know if this has been posted before, but do you remember what it was like, any thoughts, feelings, impressions when you first handled your first 1/48 yammie? I wont get mine for another 2 weeks and the wait is killing me. Please share as it will alleviate my anxiety. Thank you!

hiya guys,

Yaps same sentiments as drifand as i always love battroid mode. But on the positive side, its the best sculpt that combines 3 different modes, fighter, gerwalk and battroid. Theres aint any toys thats comes close to perfection in regards to this but it aint perfect yet, whereas for the price, its a bit on the high side. Wish yamato would consider lowering the price abit afterall its being a while since the first 1/48 was released.

Cheers

What initially drew me into Macross was my love for fighters. Couple that with giant transformable robots and I'm set. As a result, most of my valkyries end up displayed in fighter mode and I couldn't be happier that Yamato chose the jet as the primary sculpt.

That said; the low vis was my first 1/48 and I got it a few days ago. I've transformed it once to Gerwalk, once to Battroid, and it's been in Fighter since. I can't imagine a more perfect representation of the valkyrie and while the price is staggering (The credit card bill is coming next month...) it was well worth it. Opening the package certainly made my day.

I guess I'm not a purist enough to see what exactly looks so bad about the 1/48 in battroid.

At first I felt that $120 for a toy was just astronomically ridiculous. I bit anyway. After I took it out of the box, I felt like throwing my 1/60's in the trash. I was addicted to the 1/48 ever since the 1A Hikaru, and they just keep getting better with every release.

Nods Nods ;)

Same sentiments as imode. Thats why i sold away my 1/60s. Now only concentrating on the 1/72 scale from M0 and M+ as well as the 1/48 series from the Dyrl or TV series.

Cheers

:lol::D

Edited by recon

The proportions of the 1/48 will always be up for debate. I think we can all agree it's gorgeous in fighter mode - but that doesn't mean the toy is going to wow every fan 100% of the time. I think partly why I wasn't super thrilled with the overall toy is that I've seen really ingenius efforts on the part of modellers who made their own fulll-transformation VF-1 from the Hasegawa kits. They got the "swing bar" mechanism done, integrated heatshield, gunpod that doesn't hit the ground in fighter mode, and even side panels in one case! AND... they looked fantastic to boot. No strangely skinny arms with too-small hands, no slightly flattened look for the canopy, no bulky torso in Battroid mode... Yes, yes, yes - those were model kits. But they represented the ideal VF-1 for me. The 1/48 is comes up short. I'm only willing to buy the VF-1J because the extra hands will help mitigate its appearance, and ultimately, a dream set of GBP-1S armor will cover up its less than perfect proportions.

There, I've said my piece. Please understand this is not an attack on anyone who loves their 1/48 toy, just sharing my opinion on the as-yet best representation of our favorite mecha.

My first (of two) 1/48 was a mixed bag (more cheers than jeers).

Hikaru's VF-1A didn't have ANY of the problems that plagued my VF-1S (crooked skull emblem on the tail), stiff head piece, and loose parts. The die cast content could have been a little bit more, but all things aside I was pretty damned pleased with my first Yammie 1/48. :ph34r:

When I first saw it, I was impressed. It's certainly not on the level of a good, finished kit.. but still very good for a toy. It's my favorite Valkyrie.

Late to reply to this thread, but here are/were my thoughts when I first received my 1/48 VF-1A (Hikaru).

Impressive box. Very beautiful and very light in weight. Rock solid and tight fighter mode. Very impressive transformation sequence. Hard to transform at first, but it got easier with practice. Small 1A head in battroid mode, relative to the wide chest plate. Stiff front landing gear doors. Very secure missile attachments to the wings (unlike the 1/60's, whose missiles often fell off or could not be put on properly). The thin upper arms in battroid did not bother me. Very impressive Gerwalk A-stance, mostly because of the above knee rotation point. Very posable in battroid and gerwalk modes. My only complaint is/was the difficulty in removing the intake covers with fingernails.

When I received my 1/48 VF-1S (Roy), these additional thoughts occurred:

The larger and very accurate 1S head made the battroid my favourite mode. The larger head no longer made the chest plate look as large (relatively). Despite many people hating the vertical seam down the head, I for one do not notice it at all, as the seam is pretty narrow to the point that it is not really visable (at least on my toy). I knew about the crooked skull symbol and loose cockpit before I got it, but they do not bother me, as I usually leave my VF-1S in battroid mode.

Now, I am eagerly awaiting for my low-vis VF-1A and fast packs to arrive.

I have definitely lost a lot of interest in the 1/60 line. I find that the 1/48 line to be superior in virtually every aspect. When I look at the 1/60 battroid and gerwalk modes now, they look obviously "cheaper" in quality(which they very much are financially). The 1/60 fighter mode however, still looks great relative to the 1/48.