Are all of our resident Japanese members O.K. ?

Chas

Just checking in to see if any of our members in Japan live in or near the Nigata area?

I hear the earthquake was felt as far away as Tokyo. Hope everyone is O.K.

Edited by Chas

The shake is quite strong here in Tokyo, it happens yesterday (17-07-2007 around 10 am JST) at 4 magnitude, it shakes again in night around 11 pm. Me and my family are ok here.

What I'm fearing that this may be a prelude to the Tokyo dai-jishin (aka Tokyo great quake). :wacko:

The shake is quite strong here in Tokyo, it happens yesterday (17-07-2007 around 10 am JST) at 4 magnitude, it shakes again in night around 11 pm. Me and my family are ok here.

What I'm fearing that this may be a prelude to the Tokyo dai-jishin (aka Tokyo great quake). :wacko:

My friend Steve who lives in Chiba says as long as you keep getting the smaller ones youre alright. Every time except for once that Ive been there theres been a quake of news worthy notability. Anytime its bad enough to be shown on the U.K news channels. everyone freaks out if in in Japan or asks me why I want to go some where like that, where I might get caught in "The Big One".

I just tell them that Im just as likely to get caught in the Tsunami thats gonna get the U.K when the Canary islands fall into the sea.

Wasnt there also a Cyclone the other day that got a bit close to Tokyo ?

Typhoon, earthquakes, multiple tsunami, (seasonal) monsoonal rains, and cicada. (and that's only the past 48 hours!) It's shaping up to be a normal Japanese summer! :D Though, the radiation leaks at the nuclear power plant are worrisome...

The tremors weren't felt this time in Osaka Prefecture (though the ones last year in Ishikawa Prefecture, next door to Niigata Prefecture) were felt. It is a good reminder for us to check our earthquake emergency kits, as one never knows when the Great Nankai Earthquake will come...

Thank you for the thoughts and concern, and please send the good will to the people affected in Niigata and Nagano.

Wasnt there also a Cyclone the other day that got a bit close to Tokyo ?

Y'eah, cyclone no.4, it already passed Tokyo bay by the time the quake hit. Talking about repetitive disaster :ph34r: .

Smaller quakes often hit Tokyo, but still people here always gives pamphlet of emergency evacuation in case the big one comes.

What worries me more is that me and my family lives in an old apartment, when a typhoon or a large quakes hit, it can go down any moment :ph34r: .

Im one of those weird people who feels all the micro tremmors and cant sleep when a Quake is due. Its really bad sometimes as my friends have learned by demonstration that I can feel when they are comming. I just feel funny and restless and my balance feels off for a day or so and it gets worse nearer the timeits due.

Last year I was awake and rang my buddies in their rooms in the middle of the night and said its comming, they were like yeah what ever go to sleep. 5 mins later the quake hit and the Emergency systems came on in the hotel. The building shock for ages after as it settled. After that they now just ask me everytime I look unwell or vacant etc, just incase. That quake was a 6.2 out in Tokyo bay but only a 3 or a 4 when it made land fall. Aparently some people are receptive to the micro tremors I guess its them that make me feel off. Oddly twice on two different trips the day I went to Aki there has been a quake that night.

There was a small quake (ripple) when I was at the airport one time and I just said casually to my friend "ohh did you fell the quake." he was just about to speak and the woman next to us went all freaky. Im mean like she must have been in Japan for a bit of time so surely she would have felt the bigger one from a few days earlier. I dont know some people.

The one thing that always amazes me is how everyone at street level is like yeah "what ever" when you get a small one or a ripple, all the torists are "oh oh oh a quake wow cool."

Edited by big F