Having a little trouble....

Hello all,

I am glad to be able to finally post something on this site!! I have been trying to join MW for over a month, then when I saw that MW changed servers and that I sitll hadnt received a confirmation e-mail I tried registering again.

I tried contacting the mode team several times, but never got any e-mails back?!?!

So, they way I finally got on the boards now is by creating a yahoo mail account, for somre reason MW wouldnt recognize my comcast account, I did have all my spam filters turned off and security settings off as well...

Anyway, I am trying to change my e-mail to my origonal one, but it wont let me, MW says the e-mail already exsists....

My origonal username was redfinger and my origonal e-mail was ashton.holbrook@comcast.net

Can someone help me figure out what is going on?

Red

Hmmmn. Comcast isn't on the ban list (only 3 specific emails from there), and your IP isn't anywhere near any of the ones on the ban list.

"Redfinger" is still in validation limbo awaiting confimation of the comcast email address, but I can no longer manually validate it--that could likely solve your problem, but most mods (including me) have been unable to access the validation controls since the server upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmn. Comcast isn't on the ban list (only 3 specific emails from there), and your IP isn't anywhere near any of the ones on the ban list.

"Redfinger" is still in validation limbo awaiting confimation of the comcast email address, but I can no longer manually validate it--that could likely solve your problem, but most mods (including me) have been unable to access the validation controls since the server upgrade.

i too am having trouble registering an account with the MacrossWorld forums. i originally tried registering with the username "fightinfilipino", with an e-mail address of "rherreria80@comcast.net". for some reason, i never receive the validation e-mail.

i ended up creating a new account (this one) and used my work e-mail address, which seemed to work. i would like to be able to use my first account, though...

any help? i've tried e-mailing the "mwf@macrossworld.com" address but have heard nothing. i also attempted e-mailing Shawn through the Whois lookup information for the site.

Edited by rhfilipino

I've confirmed DH's findings. Comcast is not in the ban list. So, I'd guess that the problem is one of these. . .

1. The MW server/provider's IP subnet has been banned by comcast's mail service because of possible abuse by other (not MW!) users/customers on that net.

or

2. Comcast provides spam filtering for its customers and for some reason the filter hates (a)MW or (b)IPB activation emails in general. In which case, whitelisting macrossworld.com in your spam filter's settings is the best solution (if possibe).

or

3. Much less plausible is this scenario: The attack on the server (over a year ago) was indeed perpetrated by a Comcast customer (though the IP might have been spoofed). It's possible that perhaps a filter was put in place at a lower level of the server to block the same subnet upon which Comcast runs its mail server. This is probably very unlikely, but perhaps worth mentioning. :unsure: But either way, only Shawn would know about and/or be able to correct it. But it's so unlikely I'd hesitate to even mention it to him.

I'll see if I can replicate the problem with my brother's email address. He's on comcast.

I've confirmed DH's findings. Comcast is not in the ban list. So, I'd guess that the problem is one of these. . .

1. The MW server/provider's IP subnet has been banned by comcast's mail service because of possible abuse by other (not MW!) users/customers on that net.

or

2. Comcast provides spam filtering for its customers and for some reason the filter hates (a)MW or (b)IPB activation emails in general. In which case, whitelisting macrossworld.com in your spam filter's settings is the best solution (if possibe).

or

3. Much less plausible is this scenario: The attack on the server (over a year ago) was indeed perpetrated by a Comcast customer (though the IP might have been spoofed). It's possible that perhaps a filter was put in place at a lower level of the server to block the same subnet upon which Comcast runs its mail server. This is probably very unlikely, but perhaps worth mentioning. :unsure: But either way, only Shawn would know about and/or be able to correct it. But it's so unlikely I'd hesitate to even mention it to him.

I'll see if I can replicate the problem with my brother's email address. He's on comcast.

hmm, guess i should mention that it doesn't appear to be spam filtering.

i've checked my spam filter folder through Comcast's webmail app and saw nothing. i shut off spam filtering altogether and still received nothing (after having the revalidation e-mail resent). i don't think it's a spam filtering issue...

This triggered a memory from another forum, and googling around it seems it's the same problem they had back when:---Comcast is blocking MW's IP. We're on their blacklist.

http://forum.securitycadets.com/index.php?showtopic=2734 Recent discussion of similar problem--they just "got off" Comcast's blacklist so registration emails are now going through.

Anyways---it's Comcast blocking MW's emails at a high level--you'll never see it in your spam folder because it never even gets to Comcast to start with.

You know how a lot of places used to list "AOL users click here" or "AOL users do this" because AOL email was incompatible with everything else? Well now you often see "AOL and Comcast" directions, because Comcast blocks so much stuff.

This triggered a memory from another forum, and googling around it seems it's the same problem they had back when:---Comcast is blocking MW's IP. We're on their blacklist.

Though, to be precise, it's probably the case that MW's service provider's entire subnet is on Comcast's blacklist. They're not picking on MW specifically.

well, does anyone have the ability to validate my fightinfilipino account since i can't use my comcast address?

i also just tried changing the address tied to that account to my recently opened e-mail account on a shared webserver where i'm getting hosting (Alwayswebhosting). i'm still not receiving the validation e-mails after requesting it be resent!