1/18/08 Cloverfield

nah, battleship doesn't seem plausible--at least not in NYC scenario. I would surmise that bldgs would prevent getting a good radar fix; that, plus the fact that a monster would probably be much more agile, if not faster than a battleship, again makine training main batteries for a shot difficult at best. Most they could do is lob some shells in the general vicinity and hope some fall close enough to luck into a chance hit.

I like the AC-130 gunship idea mentioned earlier, though. Although, that might not be completely fair--a sustained broadside volley from one or two of those, from a low-circling orbit? wouldn't take long to perforate just about any big f'er unlucky enough to be in the center of that "circle of death."

You don't need radar to accurately use Artillery (which of course includes Naval Gunfire, i.e. Big Battleship Guns). An observer with a simple radio can accurately bring down artillery, adjust fire, and tell them to pile it on once it's there. Plus, artillery can come in on arcs (low, high, etc).

Buildings getting in the way won't matter, because they can be bypassed. Or obliterated altogether B))

Artillery or standoff weapons are ideal with such a nasty target. You can hit the target far away and not get into reach (or fire breathing range) of the target. You can risk a handful of guys that can observe from a concealed position and guide in fire from a multitude of weapon platforms, and plaster the target!

Hey, if you're close enough to use 40mm guns on an AC-130, that means you're in fire breathing range for something like Godzilla. I mean, look at all those wrecked tanks, jets foolish enough to fly close enough for rocket attacks and gun strafes. Godzilla uses things like that for toothpicks :lol:

Now what, a mutated sperm whale due to the underground nuclear testing in the pacific?

With a creature this big, I wonder if a massive cholesterols attack would kill it <_< .

It would be funny if the monster suddenly dies from heart attack :lol:

--getting bored at work--

You don't need radar to accurately use Artillery (which of course includes Naval Gunfire, i.e. Big Battleship Guns). An observer with a simple radio can accurately bring down artillery, adjust fire, and tell them to pile it on once it's there. Plus, artillery can come in on arcs (low, high, etc).

Buildings getting in the way won't matter, because they can be bypassed. Or obliterated altogether B))

Artillery or standoff weapons are ideal with such a nasty target. You can hit the target far away and not get into reach (or fire breathing range) of the target. You can risk a handful of guys that can observe from a concealed position and guide in fire from a multitude of weapon platforms, and plaster the target!

Hey, if you're close enough to use 40mm guns on an AC-130, that means you're in fire breathing range for something like Godzilla. I mean, look at all those wrecked tanks, jets foolish enough to fly close enough for rocket attacks and gun strafes. Godzilla uses things like that for toothpicks :lol:

Well, I think that bunker buster bombs can hit harder than even the 16/50 rifle. But with Godzilla, his Atomic Burp has been shown to be accurate and long ranged enough to hit incoming planets/comet (Godzilla : Final Wars). So you will have to be hidden by the Earth's curvature to be at real 'stand-off' range.

But for monsters with no ranged attack, AC-130s would mince em. The Hollywood Zilla would have been minced if AC-130s or A-10s got him in sight.

Jesus, talk about reading too much into things. This is a Hollywood movie for crying out loud! If they want a battleship in there, it's going to be in there - radar fix, physics, logic or no. Why? Because the script says so.

Welcome to Macrossworld.

Only if they were able to throw collateral damage to the wind.

Collateral Damage is not in the equation anymore if there's a situation like classical Godzilla :ph34r: Big monster rampaging and destroying a city, killing God knows how many people.

By that time and situation, Collateral Damage is the most minimum of concerns (except for a Nuke). The priority I'm guessing is evacuation and then stopping the threat from carrying out its destructive course of action. Otherwise, the threat continues on, destroying and killing. But I wouldn't be surprised if the counterattack occurs before full evacuation if things are really nasty enough.

An excellent counterpoint. Battleships were around long before the advent of shipborne radar [circa 1940's?], and they had to be able to accurately aim some kinda way...

As far as reading too much into things? Perhaps, but I'd say it's more like "wishful thinking" on the part of many posters--in that it sure would be nice if Hollywood would give moviegoers some action and storytelling that pays at least some regard to things like, oh, Newtonian physics; tactics/strategy; or just plain common sense.

As far as reading too much into things? Perhaps, but I'd say it's more like "wishful thinking" on the part of many posters--in that it sure would be nice if Hollywood would give moviegoers some action and storytelling that pays at least some regard to things like, oh, Newtonian physics; tactics/strategy; or just plain common sense.

Because if there's one thing a giant monster movie needs...nay, demands, it's realism.

Yeah, it would be nice. But really, these are the people that gave us AVP and Independence Day. :)

We won't be posting in this board if we don't read too much into things B))

Isn't that a prerequisite somewhere if signing up here? I could've sworn that...

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I think that bunker buster bombs can hit harder than even the 16/50 rifle. But with Godzilla, his Atomic Burp has been shown to be accurate and long ranged enough to hit incoming planets/comet (Godzilla : Final Wars). So you will have to be hidden by the Earth's curvature to be at real 'stand-off' range.

But for monsters with no ranged attack, AC-130s would mince em. The Hollywood Zilla would have been minced if AC-130s or A-10s got him in sight.

Since this thread's back at the forefront again, time to resume our Glorious Macross World of Nitpicking!

As for Godzilla and his Atomic Burp vs Battleships, Battleships still have 1 significant advantage:

The Battleship can fire indirectly, over obstacles and such (buildings, hills, etc). They can fire by multiple means: Map grids or someone spotting, for example. The Battleship doesn't need to see Godzilla, while Godzilla needs line of sight to strike his target.

so how come none of those ships ever fired a nuke tipped warhead artillery shell on Godzilla? i mean those shells are pretty strong, about 1/4 the strength of the horishima bombs.

nine 155 mm artillery shells on the G will put him to sleep for good.

Might work on the american monster, as Fakezilla is at least vulnerable to conventional weapons to some degree. But judging by some of the films Gojira quite likes nuclear radiation, so a tac-nuke would probably equate to a nice snack, and when it comes to conventional orndnance his roar always seems to translate to "On me 'ead son, on me 'ead". :-)

Karl

Because if there's one thing a giant monster movie needs...nay, demands, it's realism.

I just don't want to have to check all my logic at the door. It's how that baggage gets lost or stolen. B))

Doesn't have to be perfect but a decent attempt. Like anyone seen 28 Weeks Later? I'm not a sniper but I've seen some Marine snipers and when the Rage virus was going all out and they were dropping people that seemed like believable rational strategy. Not necessarily everything else in the move but you see where I'm going?

so how come none of those ships ever fired a nuke tipped warhead artillery shell on Godzilla? i mean those shells are pretty strong, about 1/4 the strength of the horishima bombs.

nine 155 mm artillery shells on the G will put him to sleep for good.

The Toho Studios version of Godzilla? Even ninety 406mm shells aren't going to do anything except piss him off.

The Hollywood 'Zilla? I think even a properly piloted Apache could take him down with the 30mm chain gun and a 120mm sabot from a MBT would go through its skull and out the other side.

But Godzilla can't use his Atomic Breath to make his line of sight attack if he can't even tell what's attacking him! As far as he can tell, he's getting pelted by huge artillery shells B))

His Ninja like supersense of hearing could probably act like a counter-fire director? So he can just burp in the approximate direction?

BTW, what does a 16/50 sound like from 40,000 yards away? Is it audible to a human ear?

• 3 weeks later...