Guide to the Differences Between Macross & Robotech

lebhead

LEBHead's Guide to the Differences Between Robotech, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada
Last updated 8.23.03

Note: For the most update version of this paper, visit http://protoculture.lebhead.com dead link

ROBOTECH, the 85 episode epic series as you know it, was derived from three entirely separate anime shows that aired in Japan in the early 1980's. The animation was edited together and a hybrid story was added to make the three separate series mesh together as one long epic story - Robotech. It was then brought to the U.S. and the rest of the world outside of Japan by Carl Macek and Harmony Gold, and you loved it! How, and more importantly, why did this happen? Well, it's a long story...

Soon after the original anime series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross became a hit in Japan in 1982 Harmony Gold purchased the U.S. and international distribution rights to the show from Tatsunoko Productions at the suggestion of Carl Macek after they asked him what show might translate well for North American audiences. Macek originally planned to simply translate Macross into English (i.e. dub it) and market it for broadcast or direct to video sale in the U.S. However, at the time a show in America needed at least 65 episodes in order to be syndicated and Macross only consisted of 36 episodes. The solution? Very interesting indeed.

Harmony Gold acquired two other shows, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada, which Macek tied together with Macross to make one gigantic epic story. It was rumored that for a time Macek and Harmony Gold considered just releasing the three shows as separate entities under the Robotech banner, much the way Gaiking, Grandizer, Danguard Ace, The Starvengers, and the Spaceketeers were aired under the title "Force Five." However, for whatever reason this idea never came to pass.

The linking of Macross with the two other anime series was done partially at the behest of the hobby company, Revell Inc., who initially helped fund the show and who came up with the name "Robotech." Revell already had the rights to market many of the plastic model kits based on Macross and other Japanese shows and released them under the Robotech banner. Harmony Gold hammered out a deal with Revell and used the title for their TV series as well. As another interesting side note, there was also a two issue comic book series produced by DC Comics related to this original Robotech model line that preceded the Robotech television series. This comic series, which was originally meant to be three issues, featured none of the characters seen in the TV series and was completely unrelated, besides in name, to the television show.

The three anime were taken, edited a little for continuity's sake (this is why you see shots of the Robotech Masters in parts of the Macross Saga), and slapped together in a relatively short amount of time and Robotech was created. Although controversial, it must be admitted that such an unprecedented feat had been pulled off quite well. Robotech was then released in America and worldwide (sans Japan and other parts of Asia for obvious reasons) and became a smash hit.

The Main Differences Between the Originals and ROBOTECH

It should be noted that the actual accuracy of the story and dialogue translation between the three original series and their Robotech counterparts differ.

The Macross Saga was probably one of the least affected story and dialogue-wise (along with Mospeada) when being adapted into Robotech. This is because Macross was deemed the most important of the three chapters, therefore it was necessary to keep its story intact as much as possible. Most of the lines in The Macross Saga are more or less directly translated from SDF Macross, sans the character names, and a little added dialogue for both continuity's sake as well as editing for the American market. Also, a lot of "questionable" scenes had to be edited out because American censors simply would not allow them to be shown to kids. These types of scenes include shots of excessive blood and gore, nudity (Minmay's butt to be specific), and excessive drinking. It is interesting to note that although they tried to edit out scenes of drinking by both Zentraedi and humans, many drinking scenes still appear in Robotech because they were considered key scenes. It just goes to show how much drinking actually went on during the first Space War/Robotech War! Perhaps the biggest difference between the original SDF Macross anime and RT: the Macross Saga was in the definition of what "protoculture" was.

In Robotech, protoculture was a source of energy that was sought after by the Zentraedi, Robotech Masters, Invid, and even humans. However, in Macross, Protoculture is the name of the first advanced civilization in the universe. The Protoculture were the ones who created the Zentradi in Macross (while the Robotech Masters created the Zentraedi in Robotech). It may be a bit of a stretch, but it is easy to liken the Protoculture in Macross to the Robotech Masters in Robotech. Another major difference between the two shows is that in the original Macross there is no SDF-2 hidden behind the SDF-1, which is also why you never see the actual SDF-2 in the Robotech animation - because it just wasn't there in Macross. Also, in the original Macross series although the SDF-1 (also known as simply the "Macross") was badly damaged by Kamjin's (Khyron in Robotech) ship in the last episode, it was never destroyed as it was in Robotech. This is why you still see the SDF-1 in Macross sequels, like Macross Plus and Macross II. In fact, in Macross all of the bridge crew, including the captain, survived the final attack by Kamjin. You must try to remember that Macross sequels, like Macross Plus or Macross II, have nothing to do with the Robotech universe. Yet another interesting side note is that although the VF-1 is called a Valkyrie in the original Macross series and called simply a "Veritech" for the most part of the Macross Saga in Robotech, it is also called a Valkyrie in Robotech as well by none other than Captain Henry Gloval himself. In Robotech, the VF-1 is officially known as the Veritech Valkyrie, while in SDF: Macross it is merely the VF-1 Valkyrie.

The Robotech Masters was probably the most changed story-wise out of the original three shows. This was due to the fact that it had to link what went on in the Macross Saga to the rest of the series. There was a lot of explaining to do! The original Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross anime didn't even take place on Earth. It was on a planet with two moons, one of which had to be airbrushed out for Robotech. Zor, who was the scientist that discovered the secrets of protoculture in Robotech, was really just the name of the invading aliens in the original Southern Cross. And yes, the ending of the original Southern Cross anime is just as dismal as it is in Robotech. In Robotech Zor spreads the pollen of the Flower of Life throughout the earth, attracting the Invid, who later enslave humanity. In the original Southern Cross the pollen is also spread, but what happens is that it turns all of humanity into Zors.

Like the Macross Saga, the New Generation also wasn't changed too drastically for Robotech. However, again it was necessary to add elements from past sagas for continuity's sake. In the original Mospeada anime, there was no "Admiral Hunter" to search for. Also, the Invid (Inbit in Mospeada) were not at war with the Robotech Masters, because the Robotech Masters didn't exist in the original anime. Although Stig/Stick (Scott in the New Generation) was on a mission to the reflex point in Mospeada, he was never sent by the Robotech Expeditionary Force, but was instead simply part of the Mars Base reclamation forces.

The "Secret" Robotech Movie

Harmony Gold did produce a Robotech movie called "The Untold Story." The movie was based on another Mikimoto/Ishiguro collaboration, the OAV "Megazone 23" (Kawamori and Studio Nue were not involved in Megazone). The story was radically changed to fit into the Robotech continuity. While the original concept for the film placed it in the exact same time frame as the Macross storyline, a re-edit forced it about 20 years later, making the setting appear awfully anachronistic. Southern Cross footage was also edited into the movie for continuity purposes, as well as "fresh" Megazone footage made specially for the Robotech movie. Unfortunately, Megazone had been shot in 35mm and Southern Cross in 16mm, and the difference looked awful on the big screen!

The movie only showed in Texas theatres in the U.S., but was also released overseas in quite a few markets and did fairly well. Cannon was the distributor of the movie, and were probably the ones to blame for the movie being so bad. Golan-Globus forced a redo of the film to artificially include space battle scenes from the Southern Cross series. Macek was against editing the movie, but was pretty much forced to do it anyway. To the relief of many Robotech fans, this movie was never widely released in American theaters. Also, because Harmony Gold no longer owns the rights to the Megazone 23 footage the Robotech movie may never be released ever again, although various fan-made bootleg copies of the movie are floating around on the Internet.

Robotech Sequels, & More

The sequel series, "Robotech II: The Sentinels" was to be animated from scratch as a direct sequel to the American Robotech series. It would tie all the previous series together by showing characters from all three separate series interacting together for the first time.

Harmony Gold commissioned Tatsunoko Productions to animate the Sentinels in a style that would appeal specifically to American audiences. Tatsunoko's primary design group, the Ohkura Design Studio, was given the task of animating The Sentinels. They had to radically redesign the Macross characters for the sequel possibly at Big West's request, to preserve the "sanctity" of the original series. This may be the reason the animation was so different (most would agree much worse) than the original series animation. Also, it is presumed that Tatsunoko considered marketing The Sentinels in Japan, alongside Macross, possibly as some sort of prequel or sequel to the Japanese Southern Cross or Mospeada. So again, character distinction was necessary.

The Sentinels was going to be the first 65 of 175 newly animated Robotech episodes, which, when added to the original's 85, would have allowed for a 260 episode cycle, a different Robotech episode for every weekday of the year. However, the Yen's value rose sharply and the budget skyrocketed, forcing the project to be cancelled after only roughly three episodes. The remaining footage was edited together on one video and later released as "Robotech II: The Sentinels." Recently the Sentinels was re-released as a bonus disc on the third Robotech legacy DVD set put out by ADV Films. The Robotech DVDs were produced under the supervision of Carl Macek, who now works at ADV.

Robotech - What's Next?

A new Robotech series was originally planned to be put out in late 2001 or early 2002, however the new target release date for this unnamed series is 2004. The new series is planned to be a direct sequel to the original Robotech series, so it will take off where the New Generation stopped. Currently new mecha designs for the series include an armored Shadow/Beta Fighter as well as a new mecha known as the Gamma Fighter. For more information on the new Robotech series see Harmony Gold's official Robotech Web site, Robotech.com.

Originally the new series was titled "Robotech 3000" and was supposed to be fully computer animated by the now defunct Netter Digital, but with the lack of success of such shows (Voltron 3D) the idea was canned. It was rumored that Robotech 3000 contained non-transforming mecha only. What little footage that existed of Robotech 3000 was shown at the 2000 San Diego Comic-Con to a luke-warm response. That footage is now available for download at Robotech.com. Even though Robotech 3000 has officially been cancelled for some time now fans still often refer to the upcoming Robotech series as "Robotech 3000," although a more appropriate name would probably be "Robotech 2004."

Carl Macek

Carl Macek, the most notable figure behind Robotech, currently works for ADV Films and helped produce the DVD release of the entire Robotech series. Macek has either been exalted as anime's savior or damned as it's antichrist by extremist Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada fans as well as anime fans in general. This debate has no sign of it letting up any time soon. After leaving Harmony Gold after the ill-fated Sentinels series Macek returned shortly to work on Robotech 3000. Once Robotech 3000 was scrapped he left again to pursue other career interests. He is currently working on various projects at ADV, including the Lady Death DVDs.

Notes on this Article

This article consists of many different writings and interviews on the subject that were collected from various sources and edited together. Although much of this it is original writing by the editor, there is also a great deal contributed by other authors, most of which are unknown or long forgotten. As this article is about Robotech, the fact that this writing is edited together from other sources is rather ironic.

This paper is not officially sanctioned by Harmony Gold, and as such includes many assumptions based on research into the subject. I am trying to get as close to what really happened as possible and would greatly appreciate anybody with any firsthand knowledge or sources to contact me at the listed e-mail address. Thank you.

Shawn would have to take care of something like that. Why not send him a PM?

i was actually going to do just that, but i figured that he's probably swamped with PMs as it is. so i instead just made a post in the feedback forum. hopefully he'll see it. :)

edit: i was finally able to post it - paragraph by paragraph. =\

it must be some weird bug in the forum software, but whatever it was i couldn't paste the whole thing in. it had to be one paragraph at a time. funky.

Edited by lebhead

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just read it and I just cant see why people dont like it. I really think most meople say that just to fit in. I have said many times that if you grew up in the 80s YOU LOVED ROBOTECH and had NO idea of all that went into it. There were no Yamato, there was just the HG products and you loved them too. Now that import toys are so hot, we do want them but I say in complete confidance that you are LYING when you say you hate Robotech now and as a kid. You CAN like Macross more now that you do know that it is a completly diff shows and uncut but if you are American in their 20s, you like Robotech and are just trying to fit in by showing your "HATE" for it especially those who feel the need to hate it every chance the name is mentioned.

nope dude you are wrong. a LOT of us asaw macross AND robotech in the 80s. Dont think that just kuz you feel a certain way everyone else or the majority here will agree wikth you kuz they wont.

graham and a LOT of guys that were nowhere NEAR japan experienced macross in its purest form in the •0s and are part of this board. 80s i mean.

a lot of fans here were introduced to macross by tech yes BUT that does not mena they still like robotech!

oh and back in the 80s there was something called BANDAI AND TAKATOKU,

harmony gold couldnt make a transformable toy for some reason. lots of kids got jetfire who kicked way more ass than the matchbox VF-1.

We DO know how much went into robotech. You act as if we have disgraced harmony gold and all of us dont think with logic. Yes we know originally it was suppposed to be just macross but they neeeded more episods. Carl macek only got flack since he said robotech was better indirectly than macross. And also for taking a lot of credit for crap he truthfully did not do. Had macek not taken too much credit and develoed an ego and HG been a lot more smarter and not piss off the majority of all macross fans, none of the hatred would exist.

and i know fo suyre...

almost EVERUYONE HATED THE MATCHBOX VF-1 AS A KID I SEE NO REASON WHYT YOU COULD LIKE IT. I REMMEMBER SEEIONG A BANDAI COMPARED TO IT NAD BE LIKE WTF? no its lying when you say kids loved that thing back then.,

keep in mind. while HG couldnt evelop a variable Vf-1, bandais and takatokus were IMPORTED by a lot of shops.

strikes could be had for 50$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO JOKE!! back in the 80s it was all cheaper!

so yea. we all have legitimate reasons for hating HG and the MPC. and with this board the majority are japanese toy collectors whjo have vast exprrience in macross and love it and have been doin this since the 80s. forr you to say we like robotech back then and the HG toys.....

you really got almost ALL of us wrong.

wel the macross cartoon is better than robotech. Its more violent, the characters are portrayed differently, and in this case focker is much more appealing. You brought up the toys man so i brouight them up to. You are typing and giving off the impression that we should be thankful an not antiHG., and saying that most of us are just on a anti hg bandwagon which we arent. we have our reasons. The way misa and hikaru ended up after macross is better than what rick and lisa ended up in robotech sentinels. You say that in complete confidence we are lying when we say we dont like robotech but thats so far from the truth.

case in point. i borrowed my friends macross DVDs. not only ois thje music a lot better, but also the VOICE acting and just the overall atmosphere of it. a lot bnetter than robotech. watching macross made me hate robotech since i realized how simple it was. I do still like robotech but to me it is really really kiddified and they made minmei too whiny and hikaru too emo. not cool. In the japanese one he seemed reluctant but still and ass kicker. FOCKER by all means is so much better in macross than in robotech. they didnt have to disguise the fact that he was a drunk. and like i said there were some kids back then who saw both and ljked macross a lot more.

I just read it and I just cant see why people dont like it. I really think most meople say that just to fit in. I have said many times that if you grew up in the 80s YOU LOVED ROBOTECH and had NO idea of all that went into it. There were no Yamato, there was just the HG products and you loved them too. Now that import toys are so hot, we do want them but I say in complete confidance that you are LYING when you say you hate Robotech now and as a kid. You CAN like Macross more now that you do know that it is a completly diff shows and uncut but if you are American in their 20s, you like Robotech and are just trying to fit in by showing your "HATE" for it especially those who feel the need to hate it every chance the name is mentioned.

you are LYING when you say you hate Robotech now and as a kid. You CAN like Macross more now that you do know that it is a completly diff shows and uncut but if you are American in their 20s, you like Robotech and are just trying to fit in by showing your "HATE" for it especially those who feel the need to hate it every chance the name is mentioned.

This is the most assinine if not arrogant statement i've ever read in here.

Macross Purist till the end my friend <_<

I have to agree with apu in some ways. After watching years of GI JOE... america's special elite battling a super terrorist orgainzation, each heavily armed... and the only injury was dusty getting a concussion in one episode [not counting the movie] What kind of elite forces can't shoot the broad side of a barn from the inside with the doors closed with an automatic rifle?!?!?

So yeah... when I was flipping channels and stumbled across "robotech" and saw animated blood for the first time... I loved it. Not that macross isn't better for the most part [mac7 :blink: ], and not that I wouldn't rather watch macross than robotech now, but I do have to say that robotech had it's place in my childhood.

As for the toys... I never had the oportunity to buy any bandai valks besides jetfire as a kid. For that matter... I never had the chance to buy any of the cool japanese toys as a kid... which probably goes a long way to explaining why I'm now buying them as an adult. I still love my matchbox pods and the 7" destroids are cool by default as they are the only ones. The 3" die-cast and the hi-comicals were straight from bandai anyways. I mean really... what is the difference between the takatoku monster and the matchbox monster besides box art and color? And no... the $100 difference in price isn't an answer. Granted... there were differences between the two sdf-1s, but the matchbox one was still cool... just not as cool. Not that there weren't a number of bad moves on HG's part. The hover tank was lame as heck, even though it's the only one. HG's fault for not getting the valks imported back then and trying unsuccesfully to make a friggin VF that would hold an action figure. And don't even get me started on how lame the action figures were :unsure: .

regardless... competition is always good. You can't really appreciate how much something sucks until you have something to compare it against. YEah the HG vf sucks big monkey balls compared to a re-issue super, but it also sucked ass compared to my jetfire. Nobody ever thought the bandai's could suck till some people fell in love with yamato's 1/60. Then yamato raised the bar [and price] once more and now people think the 1/60's suck. I'm just happy to have the ability to chose what I waste my money on as that implies that there is a selection of choices.

To put it another way... ford and chevy both make cars and both have die-hard fans. Just because I prefer my chevy's doesn't make me feel guilty for naming the original gt-40 as my all time favorite car :p

you are LYING when you say you hate Robotech now and as a kid. You CAN like Macross more now that you do know that it is a completly diff shows and uncut but if you are American in their 20s, you like Robotech and are just trying to fit in by showing your "HATE" for it especially those who feel the need to hate it every chance the name is mentioned.

This is the most assinine if not arrogant statement i've ever read in here.

Macross Purist till the end my friend <_<

You haven't been around for very long then. There are many more arrogant statements floating around, many of them voiced by myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at least this argument was usefull for a n00b like me: I'm now informed that I should put my hands on the original Macross ASAP ^_^ Anyone knows a good online store where I could find a cool subtitled version? Is the one available at Valkyrie Exchange good? Thanks in advance for the infos :)

Oh, and while I'm at it, hello to all: I'm the latest 'new baby' on the board... :p

Valkyrie Exchange is good to buy from. I really recommend www.tmpanime.com. as well. Both carry the official sub versions. I hope the price at Tmp is really good but not sure of the price at VE but both are good stores.

I grew up in the 80's and never saw Robotech.

I only watched all of Robotech after my roommate bought all of the ADV DVD sets. I give Robotech its credit for bringing the anime genre to alot of folks my age. When I was a kid, I had only managed to watch a few eps. I saw First Gen mostly.

Fast forward to 95, and my Freshman year at College. My roommate was a Japanese guy who pointed out the differences between the shows. I found that I liked Macross better, as the ship wasn't totally destroyed at the end, and the bridge crew wasn't killed. All the time before that, I had only used what I had read from the Robotech novels as canon. It was a welcome change.

I don't like the current situation with HG. I think it is crap that they would block distribution to this country over this. It's almost like they want to kill the demang if they can't have it. That's what has pissed alot of people off about Robotech. It is the representation of HG and Macek.

Personally, I hate it when people say that Robotech introduced Americans into Anime. Ever hear of Mazinger Z, Battle of the planets, Starblazers, Voltes V, and others (Shogun Warriors)

?

Voltron had a more lasting impact on me than Robotech.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I hate it when people say that Robotech introduced Americans into Anime.

In my opinion, Robotech was the one that made the most impact on the rating for any anime and probably the most profit for the companies affliated with Robotech.

Yes, Mazinger, G-force, Mach-5 and several others were shown few years before Robotech. However, none were as popular as Robotech, nor do they have other comapnies backing the anime series (Matchbox). If I recall correctly, Transformers and Voltrons began broadcasting on US TV after Robotech became popluar and tv syndicates saw potential profit. Although, most on this fourm do not favor Robotech or its affliated company. fact is Robotech did make huge impact on US kids and media companies view on Japanese Anime.

Personally, I hate it when people say that Robotech introduced Americans into Anime. Ever hear of Mazinger Z, Battle of the planets, Starblazers, Voltes V, and others (Shogun Warriors)

?

i don't think anybody would argue that Robotech wasn't the first anime shown in America, or even most popular. however, it had a huge impact in terms of exposing a large number of people to anime for the first time. in that sense, Robotech was the weed of anime... a gateway drug to other more dangerous anime. ;)

Personally, I hate it when people say that Robotech introduced Americans into Anime.

In my opinion, Robotech was the one that made the most impact on the rating for any anime and probably the most profit for the companies affliated with Robotech.

Yes, Mazinger, G-force, Mach-5 and several others were shown few years before Robotech. However, none were as popular as Robotech, nor do they have other comapnies backing the anime series (Matchbox). If I recall correctly, Transformers and Voltrons began broadcasting on US TV after Robotech became popluar and tv syndicates saw potential profit. Although, most on this fourm do not favor Robotech or its affliated company. fact is Robotech did make huge impact on US kids and media companies view on Japanese Anime.

It may have had the most impact, but it certainly didn't introduce anime to America.

Starblazers is just as popular.

unfortunally in my area we did not get half the anime shows, stuff like Starblazers and Mazinger were unavailable, the only 2 that we did get were Robotech and Voltron, i used to love both shows when i was a kid but most of us around here watched transformers the most. but these 2 shows had the biggest impact on me when it came to japanese anime because these were the first 2 I saw for many years and I did like both , We got very few good anime at all over here i wish i got half the shows you guys got, it was not really untill the 1990's that i got a chance to see Macross in its real glory as well as Gundam and many others which really got me hooked.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

• 2 weeks later...
unfortunally in my area we did not get half the anime shows, stuff like Starblazers and Mazinger were unavailable, the only 2 that we did get were Robotech and Voltron, i used to love both shows when i was a kid but most of us around here watched transformers the most. but these 2 shows had the biggest impact on me when it came to japanese anime because these were the first 2 I saw for many years and I did like both , We got very few good anime at all over here i wish i got half the shows you guys got, it was not really untill the 1990's that i got a chance to see Macross in its real glory as well as Gundam and many others which really got me hooked.

chris

Too bad! Because here in California, we've been getting most of the Anime imports from Japan for decades. That's why I laugh at these fools who foolishly think Robocrap is all that.

StarBlazers, Voltes V, Godzilla, Mazinger Z, Shogun Warriors, Ultraman, and Go Rangers (original Power Rangers Sentai's) all had bigger influences than Robofake in the Philippines and the United States.

Where do you live? Eerie, Pennsylvania?

That's why I laugh at these fools who foolishly think Robocrap is all that.

uh just out of curiosity you were not directing that at me are you? <_< i do not mind the show but it was one of the only few decent anime we got, I live in Masachusetts during the 1980's we got nothing, now we get tons of anime on every other station.

unfortunally  in my area we did not get half the anime shows, stuff like Starblazers and Mazinger were unavailable, the only 2 that we did get were Robotech and Voltron, i used to love both shows when i was a kid but most of us around here watched transformers the most. but these 2 shows had the biggest impact on me when it came to japanese anime because these were the first 2 I saw for many years and I did like both , We got very few good anime at all over here i wish i got half the shows you guys got, it was not really untill the 1990's that i got a chance to see Macross in its real glory as well as Gundam and many others which really got me hooked.

chris

Too bad! Because here in California, we've been getting most of the Anime imports from Japan for decades. That's why I laugh at these fools who foolishly think Robocrap is all that.

StarBlazers, Voltes V, Godzilla, Mazinger Z, Shogun Warriors, Ultraman, and Go Rangers (original Power Rangers Sentai's) all had bigger influences than Robofake in the Philippines and the United States.

Where do you live? Eerie, Pennsylvania?

while this is true and I do remember those shows.. it was still robotech that got me to run home from school so I could watch the next episode.

• 1 month later...

I haven't watched Robotech since forever and don't have access to a copy so I've been wondering what they did in that scene towards the end of SDF Macross TV where Misa notices the initials on Hikaru's new scarf, "L.M. Loves H.I."

Did Carl cut that and if so how did 'Lisa' know that L.M. loved R.H.? Did they even re-do the animation to make H.I. into R.H.??