Airbrushing set ups, how do you have yours set up?

Dax415

looks like i may have to take the airbrush to a room up stairs since my hobby space has been acquired/commandeered/conquered. was just curious how you guys have yours set up and if anyone has no choice like i do but to try and make this work in such a small place. any suggestions would be great. thanks!

When I didn't have my own space, I just painted with water colors in good ventilation. At one location I took some computer fans and put them into a box with a dryer hose on it blowing outside. I just disconnected the dryer first since the windows were no where near I could get to. Now my bench is near a window and I'm building a canopy out of a thin frame and clear plastic. The plastic will let the outside light through and a blower will ventilate it out.

If you have absolutely no area to work, put your stuff on a TV tray. I did that too for a while. I did my small building on it while we both watched TV and my wife felt less like a "Hobby Widow :) ." - MT

Ultimately I have seen people just take a ventilation blower and run a length of 4" hose out the window. I got some heavy gauge cardboard and some computer fans (the motors are brushless so there's no source of ignition). The trick is getting enough air movement and at the same time using a motor that is brushless or drives the fan off of a belt drive. You don't want to be happily spraying away and then have your stuff blow up in your face. That would take the fun out of it :) . - MT

The best way to do it is get a medium size box and put the opening side on the side. Make sure the box is completely sealed, and and extend the upper part of the box. This will trap the upper mist of dried paint from your box. you may also need to use a small fan to keep the dried paint into the box, and make sure the room is well ventilated. that's my suggestion, but play with it with water, and see how the fumes and spray blow and react. that's the safest, best way to work in a small space without spending a fortune.

I've known people for whom that sort of thing is a hobby.

LOL! Just last weekend we were shooting a potato gun and had a "blow up". For anyone who doesn't know, it is basically a length of two different size PVC pipe with a flint installed in the big end. You shove a potato in the barrel end, spray hairspray into the flint end and screw on an end cap then strike the flint. That ignites the hairspray fumes and propels the potato.

Anyway, we were having trouble getting the flint to work. After one attempt, my father in law opened the end cap and looked down inside to see if he could see a spark from the flint. I was holding the barrel and warned him not to get too close. He struck the flint and a jet of flame shot out of the end and I watched the edges of his hair and eyebrows singe and curl away from the heat! :o:ph34r: He walked around for the rest of the day with singed hair "dandruff" all over his t-shirt on his shoulders and back. :lol:

I did a lot of reading and research because I want to have a hobby room eventually in the basement. Their were plenty of people who ussed cardboard, but one idea tat stuck in my mind was to use a peice of sheetmetal (galvanized from homedepot) and as its flat, cut a round hole in it (6" diameter) and you can buy a peice of steel duct that will connect into the hole, then you can use many diferent hoses. you can cut diferent size pieces for the sides and top ussing sheetmetal screws to fasten. The idea that I liked was about the top cutting diferent slots and such for holding parts, supplies and such

Jardann, how immature man! I used black powder :p ! I'm surprised I didn't blow somone/thing up!

Pfunk, that's what I'm hoping to do when I settle down, someday. A proper shop and spraybooth. When I spray the Daedalus I'm half thinking about taking it to an auto paint shop to be done :lol: . I just can't get a booth that big! - MT

Black powder in PVC pipe!!! :o:lol::p

Well, judging by your Daedalus project, you are more daring and have more advanced skills than I! :D

I had been thinking about building a spray booth for my hobby room in the basement, but my parents have had to move in with us due to health problems so now my hobby/tool/storage room has no window. It can still be done, but it'll take some more planning for sure. The sheet metal sounds good, just be sure to roll all the edges to avoid nasty cuts.

MT hehe, i cant wait to see that beast done,

one thing i left out was I plan on ussing a sheet metal brake (cousin has one, but you can rent one from HD) and bending all the front edges back and putting flanges on the rest so I can fasten with screws

Never had a potatoe gun, but we've ussed exhaust tubing, acetelyne, and a tennis ball. that ball went outta site

Yeah, I gave up the dream of being a pyro technician when you don't see many of them visiting your school when your a kid :D .

I never heard of renting a brake before. I'll try that some day probably. That would have saved me using the hinged bit of my workbench! Of course with aluminum it was no big deal.

If I owned the house I have now, I would actually build a proper exit for the exhaust. That way I could still use the window for air. A/C in houses is not common place around here. About two weeks of extreme heat (90/100) and then back to good ole Atlantic storms coming through.

The other option is just do what I did, disconnect the dryer, connect your hose to it, and set the booth up ON IT! The take it down on laundry days. Just don't tell your better half. "Honey what's that smell?" Uh, new fabric softener honey :lol: ! - MT

That dryer setup would work a treat for me, except that my dryer is gas and is only about 8 ft away from my gas furnace and water heater. I'm a little shaky about those pilot lights being too close to the paint fumes. :(

Here's a link I found while searching for info on a DIY booth Lots of info.

LINK

Hope it helps.

Jardann, Greyryder knows someone who would like your setup :D . You're right though. Pilot lights don't go good with paint, unless it's all water based.

Thanks Chas for the link! I never thought of the whole gravity issue. Smaller velocity equals a quieter booth. I could leave it on for gluing too! Brain cells are becoming a commodity. - MT

they had another good idea that I noticed, allways use flouresant lights. they show the smallest imperfections. in my car painting days we had them on carts bout 12 feet long to check the body work

I scrounged up an old range hood and built a box around it. It's big enough that it doubles as a workspace too (it's about 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep and 30 inches tall). The tank/compressor is resting on the floor and I have a small hook screwed to the side of the box to keep the hose handy. The range hood is hooked up to a removeable plywood insert that goes into a window when I need to paint.

All in all, I think the box itself cost me about $20 and a few hours to build.