Yamato "TV Canon" 1/48s?

MilSpex

I definately want to do some shopping on the Yamato site/y!jp auctions this weekend and finally start my 1/48 collection. I only want to deal with valks and accessories that are canon/can pass as canon from the TV series SDF Macross though.

I was wondering if I could get some help to list all the 1/48 Yamato Macross product that looks TV canon (ie are TV editions or share the same type/colorscheme/markings as the mecha in the TV show)

These are the pieces I`m pretty sure about but need confirmation from the experts:

*VF-1S Roy Fokker - although a DYRL? toy I think the colorscheme & type was the same in SDFM? What about markings?

*VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo

*VF-1A Mass Production Type (brown/white)

*VF-1A Angel Birds

*GBP-1S Armor parts (gray type only)

*Super and Strike parts (gray type only, and Super configuration only)

Thanks in advance!

These are the pieces I`m pretty sure about but need confirmation from the experts:

*VF-1S Roy Fokker - although a DYRL? toy I think the colorscheme & type was the same in SDFM? What about markings?

The Roy 1/48 VF-1S toy is the DYRL version and has 4 differences from the TV version: -

1) The toy has the yellow DYRL head arrows on the sides of the head. The TV version should have black head arrows.

2) The toy has solid DYRL type elbows. Only the 1/48 VF-1J toys have the TV 'U' type elbows.

3) The pilot is in DYRL flight suit, which is completely different from the TV flight suit.

4) The toy only has the articulated DYRL type 'chicken hands', not the non-articulated fixed pose bubble hands of the TV version. These only come with the VF-1J toys IIRC.

*VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo

Yes, this is TV accurate.

*VF-1A Mass Production Type (brown/white)

It has a DYRL movie type VF-1A head, not the the TV type VF-1A head. DYRL VF-1A heads have a more extended eye-piece that has a grey border around it. In comparison TV VF-1A heads have a flatter eye-peice with no border. Yamato has never made a TV accurate VF-1A head.

*VF-1A Angel Birds

Same thing, as above has a DYRL type head, not the TV head. Can't remember if it comes with TV hands or not. Need to check mine.

*GBP-1S Armor parts (gray type only)

By 'gray' if you mean the recently released Urban Camo GBP, this never appeared in the TV series only in a hobby magazine. You want the blue and red version to be accurate to the TV series.

*Super and Strike parts (gray type only, and Super configuration only)

The double-barreled Strike cannon was only used in DYRL, not in the TV series. If you want to stick to TV accurate, you need to buy either the Hikaru VF-1J with FAST pack set (or Max & Milia sets, but they are color specific).

Note the stand-alone Supe/Strike FAST pack set includes DYRL type arm FAST packs. The TV arm FAST packs are a different shape and only come with the VF-1J sets.

None of the Yamato FAST backs are gray.

Hope that helps.

Graham

Thankyou for the knowledge!

A lot more differences than I realised obviously.

Sorry, by "gray" I meant the blue type, I`m kind of colorblind. I was just planning on using the non strike configuration aswell. But looks like the seperate set isnt TV accurate either...since i have zero modelling skill I might have to reconsider my plan haha.

With the exception of the pilots and strike cannon, the differences between the movie and tv Valkyries are noticable to the point that they could very easily "pass as canon from the TV series." If you were to make all the changes that Graham mentioned, 99.9% of Macross fans wouldn't even notice :p

But the elbows thing caught me by surprise, I never knew about that one. Can anyone post some comparison picks.

While we're at it, the display screens are also different in the TV and movie Valkyries. I don't think Yamato's sticker sheets give you the option to choose which one to use, I believe they only give you the DYRL display screen sticker. But like I said, don't sweat it because no one will notice or care :p

TV colors seem more eyecatching if you like colorful robots with bright anime type paintschemes. (ie like how in gundam char is the only guy with a red zaku)

I'd just go with the tv stuff first. You get both types of hands.

Too bad they don't include the side pieces in all yamato 1/48 though.

Not to put the recasters out of biz but that is seriously the next step I would love to see for any future vf-1 1/48. Color matched gbp side parts. (and maybe mechanical fixed pose hands as well :p)

I'm wondering if they will do the green alaska base valk in the tv series?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

With the exception of the pilots and strike cannon, the differences between the movie and tv Valkyries are noticable to the point that they could very easily "pass as canon from the TV series." If you were to make all the changes that Graham mentioned, 99.9% of Macross fans wouldn't even notice :p

This is true and not true. I mean Roy`s 1S could definately pass for TV with just the head arrows being a different color (not sure but I could probably handle this with some tape and paint.) but Max`s valk, is painted completely differently with much more white than on the Movie version.

Thinking now I`ll just try to recreate Skull Squadron as they appeared in DYRL for less stress...but I dont like idea of mixing the TV show and movie colorschemes..

• 2 weeks later...

2) The toy has solid DYRL type elbows. Only the 1/48 VF-1J toys have the TV 'U' type elbows.

I never noticed that about the elbows. So to make a TV VF-1S, they'ed have to make a third type of forearm for the TV VF-1S and TV VF-1As (which would need new heads too)

EDIT IN:

I checked the Perfect Memory and all the TV VF-1 series have U type elbows

EDIT OUT:

I wonder why they went ahead and made the Angel Bird. I wish that had the right type of head.

Edited by tom64ss

I guess the TV VF-1A's can use the same arms as the VF-1J's, seeing as none of the 1As have arm stripes. Yamato should of used those, but if they aren't gonna bother with the head, why bother with with the arms... I guess.

I was wondering about a background explanation for the differences between SDFM and DYRL vf-1´s. Maybe the vf-1´s in DYRL are actually vf-1x plus enhanced valkyries and the differences are the design

improvements.

Remember that the DYRL movie was released in 2031 and the vf-1´s actualization program starts in 2025. According to the storyline.

It sounds right to me, after all the DYRL and Mac+ SDF-1 are the same design. Don´t you think?

So these are accurate

*VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo (get the Super version for the TV accurate FP)

*GBP-1S Armor parts (blue and red color)

*M&M VF-1Js

The Roy 1S is damn close, and even closer if you put the FPs from the Hikaru 1J on it and paint that Hikaru pilot grey and blue. Paint the little head arrows too. You can sand the elbows down too. I don't think I would.

The CF and Angel Bird have the wrong kind of heads and elbows.

Edited by tom64ss

I was wondering about a background explanation for the differences between SDFM and DYRL vf-1´s. Maybe the vf-1´s in DYRL are actually vf-1x plus enhanced valkyries and the differences are the design

improvements.

Remember that the DYRL movie was released in 2031 and the vf-1´s actualization program starts in 2025. According to the storyline.

It sounds right to me, after all the DYRL and Mac+ SDF-1 are the same design. Don´t you think?