Aircraft Vs Thread 4

One additional thought about the composite material for the 787, I wonder what test protocols it has gone through at this point. Knowing the amount of stress it'll go through in a life time, that's going to be very interesting to see what type of accelerated age testing they did for the plane. I wonder how much of this learning can from other composite aircraft, and looking at their airworthiness over time.

Has anyone here seen Les Chevaliers du ciel(Sky Knights in the US), or Speed and Angels? I'm trying to find a place that has Speed and Angels, the clips I have seen on the main site and youtube are amazing. I'm dissapointed that some of the cockpit footage was taken from inside a hornet when they were showing a tomcat dogfight, but I guess they had to do something for a reinactment.

I'm 99% sure you'll never see a Tomcat in an airshow anymore. Maybe a gutted, display F-14, but not a flying one. Unless you're in Iran? ^_^

Maybe Test Squadrons and such will have a few, but the parts will dwindle down. And they won't give them up for airshows or even static displays.

Edited by Warmaker

Not sure if this belongs here, but since it's an AA gun...

I was watching Apollo 13 the other day and saw what appeared to be M45 Quadmounts with the guns stripped and equipped with cameras and other observation equipment. However I haven't been able to find any information on this. Would anybody happen to know more about it?

The current trend is for airlines to spend millions on new, ugly, bland paint schemes. If nothing else, it's different.

QANTAS has however decided to spend money and repaint the fleet, re-logo everything from napkins to uniforms to ticket-holders, and generally waste money, for a subtle change--I present to you, the NEW logo and name for QANTAS:

Definitely one of the bigger wastes of money I've ever seen.

The current trend is for airlines to spend millions on new, ugly, bland paint schemes. If nothing else, it's different.

QANTAS has however decided to spend money and repaint the fleet, re-logo everything from napkins to uniforms to ticket-holders, and generally waste money, for a subtle change--I present to you, the NEW logo and name for QANTAS:

Definitely one of the bigger wastes of money I've ever seen.

Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss....

what a waste of time. But still, they could've done with BA did about a decade ago, and paint their aircraft all different colors.

<_<

My parent's live in Plant City, FL (outside of Tampa) and he says when he was golfing they saw an Osprey refueling helicopters overhead. He was so excited, he called me at work. I didn't know the Osprey could do that.

Let me look into it, but are you sure he didn't see a V-22 and a helo getting refueled off of a KC-130?

The problem is, they seem to have gone with the ski-ramp design, with the "potential" to incorporate catapults in the future built in to the design. They are planning for the future, and since the carriers will out-live the F-35, there might not BE any V/STOL planes in the future to use, and they'll have to fit catapults to have any airwing at all.

It'd be a lot easier to just include catapults from the start. Or heck, just one. Use F-35's if you've got them, but keep 1 catapult around for the E-2, or Rafale, or something.

Also, catapults would allow the F-35C, which is probably going to have a much easier design process than the F-35B, and will be a better plane in the end.

Just a few days after the announcement that Northrop Grumman had taken 100% ownership of Scaled Composites:

Explosion at Scaled Composites test site kills three. :(

Of course NASA's having its problems this week:

NASA shaken by Sabotage, Alcohol Claims.

On one good note, though, Boeing's X-48B flew for the first time this week.

Edited by Apollo Leader

With the 21,000lb MOAB being not enough apparently, the B-2 is going to be getting the 30,000lb MOP bomb:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7669/

30,000lbs. That's like dropping an F-16 on them.

Bet it makes a bigger boom than a F-16... Although, mind you, that infamous Thunderbird F-16 incident did make a pretty big boom too...

To quote: "Jamie wants big boom."

In the case of the two P-51's colliding, at least the one pilot was fortunate to have survived.

There was also another fatal air show crash this weekend at Dayton, OH:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291268,00.html

With the 21,000lb MOAB being not enough apparently, the B-2 is going to be getting the 30,000lb MOP bomb:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7669/

30,000lbs. That's like dropping an F-16 on them.

I first heard about that bomb a few months ago. Obviously this bomb is intended to be used in targets buried in the mountains (like Iran's nuclear facilities, Taliban and Al-Queda hiding in the mountains of the Afghanistan/Pakistan border). About the only thing you could do next is to use nuclear weapons. Since the B-2 was designed for a 40,000 pound bomb load and they're talking about carrying two of these 30,000 bombs, I wonder what will be done for the B-2 to accomidate the additional 20,000 of weight? Imagine how much altitude the B-2 will gain in the process if it drops even one of these bombs? :p

Imagine how much altitude the B-2 will gain in the process if it drops even one of these bombs? :p

I imagine it will fly in formation with a Space Shuttle...

But someone mentioned on another forum: "Will the bomb generate a radar return?"

I'm gonna go with... yes.