Aircraft Vs Thread 4

Not a big deal, Aloha got whacked on Monday. Let me know when one of the major legacies, like United, or Delta go away and then we'll be in a more stable market condition. But all this means is continued increase in ticket prices. I think overall, consolidation might finally start happening after the failed Delta/Northwest deal.

Anyone wanna take bets that the 787 will be delayed until 2010?

I think Boeing is trying to dribble out the bad news. But this is going to really hurt their market share. The delays also give airlines opportunities to cancel and reevaluate. Being first to market is great, being first to market and not deliver is a killer.

Anyone wanna take bets that the 787 will be delayed until 2010?

I think Boeing is trying to dribble out the bad news. But this is going to really hurt their market share. The delays also give airlines opportunities to cancel and reevaluate. Being first to market is great, being first to market and not deliver is a killer.

Actually boeing's share price rebounded at the news 7%. People thought it would be much worse.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1/37783c82-0639-11...00779fd2ac.html

Actually boeing's share price rebounded at the news 7%. People thought it would be much worse.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1/37783c82-0639-11...00779fd2ac.html

I saw it, that's why the question, who wants to bet that all the bad news hasn't surfaced yet. There is going to be a financial impact to all of this delay down the road. You saw it with Airbus, and I would be surprised if it doesn't happen with Boeing.

Hulk of the B-2 that crashed:

Also, the JSF's engine's life expectancy has gone down, and the engine needs another 2.8 billion dollars to fix. And they still want to cancel the F136 engine (which is currently running cheaper than the F135)! I think it'll take an F-35 to explode in mid-air before they realize the F135 sucks. Of course, it took 15+ years before the TF30 ever even started being replaced on the F-14, and even Congress knew that engine sucked.

Why Russia still doesn't get that much respect for selling "1st-rate" aircraft: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/F...how/2951948.cms

Su-30MKI's grounded due to lack of tires. Customer service/support has always been the #1 issue with any ex-Soviet plane etc. Even newly-built ones. Sure they'll sell/build you a plane, but good luck getting the parts you need to keep them flying.

Australia doesn't expect to be able to field the F-35 until 2018: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5013871,00.html At that rate, you guys may need to do like the USN and buy replacement Super Hornets for your first batch of Super Hornets when they get old.

Hulk of the B-2 that crashed:

Surprised it was that much intact so it must have not been too much off of the ground and was belly up when it hit. I wonder if there's any more word on what may or may not happen.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Surprised it was that much intact so it must have not been too much off of the ground and was belly up when it hit. I wonder if there's any more word on what may or may not happen.

I doubt it would ever fly again, but you might be able to refurbish it and put it on display somewhere, depending on how much it will cost to make it look good again...

Too much to refurbish--B-2's are like pure carbon fiber--incredibly difficult and expensive to build. You'll note the plane looks kinda "melted". (also, the entire left wing is missing) Many "refurbished from a crash for a musem" planes are usually the back half of one plane and the front half of another, or something along those lines. There's no spare B-2 parts to use to restore.

More pictures from the B-2 crash back in February (yikes, that was two months ago already). I assume David got his picture via the same site (www.abovetopsecret.com). As for any part of this going to a museum, obviously it's now just a burn-out hulk for one thing, but also since so much of the aircraft is heavily classified it will probably be destroyed out right. When both Lockheed XST prototypes crashed, their remains were buried somewhere in the vicinity of Groom Lake.

post-342-1208370074_thumb.jpg

post-342-1208370084_thumb.jpg

post-342-1208370091_thumb.jpg

post-342-1208370096_thumb.jpg

post-342-1208370105_thumb.jpg

post-342-1208370111_thumb.jpg

Too much to refurbish--B-2's are like pure carbon fiber--incredibly difficult and expensive to build. You'll note the plane looks kinda "melted". (also, the entire left wing is missing) Many "refurbished from a crash for a musem" planes are usually the back half of one plane and the front half of another, or something along those lines. There's no spare B-2 parts to use to restore.

I was thinking more along the lines of mockups made to replace the missing/damaged parts. It doesn't have to be made from the same materials, just as long as it looks right. That or place the plane up against a wall to "hide" the missing wing. The old War Museum in Ottawa did that with a spitfire, due to a lack of space; the wing was stored at the Aviation Museum, and later re-mated to the plane when they built the new War Museum.

Gravity, quake with fear - your nemesis has returned!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7350939.stm

Those guys in the picture musta loved the sound and roar of those 4 Rolls-Royce Olympus turbojets going by. I was once on the tarmac at JFK when a Concorde (same Olympus turbojets) roared by in takeoff. An awesome experience. Your whole body rumbles.