The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

• 2 weeks later...

It's official...

Gears of War 2. This November. It wasn't a surprise that it finally got announced, but that it's going to be out just two years after the first one is a bit surprising. Looks like I'll have to finally get around to beating the Seriously and THIS! IS! ANNEX! achievements. :p

It's official...

Gears of War 2. This November. It wasn't a surprise that it finally got announced, but that it's going to be out just two years after the first one is a bit surprising. Looks like I'll have to finally get around to beating the Seriously and THIS! IS! ANNEX! achievements. :p

yeah, it looks pretty good too. The enhancements they made to the lighting system really looks impressive.

Is there anyone else playing Lost Odyssey? I'm the third disc already and it's quite addicting. The only thing I don't care about are the dreams. Sure, they add more character depth...but I think they kill the pace of the game. I'm glad we're allowed to skip them. I do plan on reading them after I beat the game however.... What are your guys' thoughts/opinions on the game thus far?

Eugimon, there are some frame-rate issues with Lost Odyssey...but it's not game breaking or anything. There's no frame-rate issue during the fights or cut scenes. The only frame-rate issues that I've seen so far only appear during the 'select your destination screen' (or whatever one would call it). Other than that, the game reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy VII, but I suppose it plays more like Final Fantasy X. I'm glad I bought the game...I'll say that much!

David, I hope you get your new HDTV soon! I can only imagine what other great games you have but haven't played yet!

Eugimon, there are some frame-rate issues with Lost Odyssey...but it's not game breaking or anything. There's no frame-rate issue during the fights or cut scenes. The only frame-rate issues that I've seen so far only appear during the 'select your destination screen' (or whatever one would call it). Other than that, the game reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy VII, but I suppose it plays more like Final Fantasy X. I'm glad I bought the game...I'll say that much!

David, I hope you get your new HDTV soon! I can only imagine what other great games you have but haven't played yet!

Thanks for the post, I got some one more questions you don't mind: how's the replayability/game length?

Is there a way to tell whether or not a xbox 360 elite has the upgraded hardware before you buy it and open it up??

Even if it is the newer Falcon chip sets and heat sinks, that hasn't stopped the RROD from claiming them too.

Look at the sticker on the box, look for "175W". That's the newer, smaller power supply, which ONLY can come with the new hardware. (There are some new hardwares that still came with the older power supply (200W or so)---but new power only can work with new hardware)

Fortunately, this is the GAMECUBE we're talking about here.

If anything can save us from Mass Addict, it's the 'Cube... Or possibly the Dreamcast.

Lies. Nothing will ever save us from Mass Effect addiction. They'll have to open up recovery clinics beisde the methedone dispersal clinics. Future releases will come with a Surgeon General's warning. Razor companies will collapse due to the entire game-playing male population becoming so engrossed that nobody buys their products until they're endorsed in the game. And nothing can stop it. Nothing!

Lies. Nothing will ever save us from Mass Effect addiction. They'll have to open up recovery clinics beisde the methedone dispersal clinics. Future releases will come with a Surgeon General's warning. Razor companies will collapse due to the entire game-playing male population becoming so engrossed that nobody buys their products until they're endorsed in the game. And nothing can stop it. Nothing!

Well, crap...

I was hoping I'd found a way to at least slow the plague, but... back to square one.

Any reason Lost Odyssey is 5 discs? I'd defended Microsoft's decision to go with the proven DVD format over an unproven newer format, and that hadn't really seemed like a bad decision until I heard about all the discs for Lost Odyssey. But if Lost Odyssey has a lot of prerendered cutscenese, that could be the culprit, since cutscenes done with the game engine take up a lot less room on a disc.

Oh, and I mentioned this in the PS3 thread, but Devil May Cry 4 is a great game, possibly the best in the series. There's no real difference between the PS3 and 360 versions; you do a 20 minute install on the PS3 to shave a second or two off the 360's four second load times. If you only have a PS3, get it for that. If you only have a 360, get it for that. If you have both, get it for whichever your like. Just get the game.

Any reason Lost Odyssey is 5 discs? I'd defended Microsoft's decision to go with the proven DVD format over an unproven newer format, and that hadn't really seemed like a bad decision until I heard about all the discs for Lost Odyssey. But if Lost Odyssey has a lot of prerendered cutscenese, that could be the culprit, since cutscenes done with the game engine take up a lot less room on a disc.

Oh, and I mentioned this in the PS3 thread, but Devil May Cry 4 is a great game, possibly the best in the series. There's no real difference between the PS3 and 360 versions; you do a 20 minute install on the PS3 to shave a second or two off the 360's four second load times. If you only have a PS3, get it for that. If you only have a 360, get it for that. If you have both, get it for whichever your like. Just get the game.

No Commander Shepard = not a good game :p

Thanks for the post, I got some one more questions you don't mind: how's the replayability/game length?

I'm not too sure about the re-playability...I'm only on the third disc after all. :p The story seems pretty linear thus far...though I've only put in about a good 24 hours at least so far (I have skipped a lot of the dreams however...which would probably bring up my playing time a couple more hours if I had read them all). I'd probably say the re-playability is something like Final Fantasy VII's. (I don't even know how many times I've played through FFVII. :lol:) If you enjoyed FFVII enough, you should like Lost Odyssey just as much. I hope that helps!

I'm not too sure about the re-playability...I'm only on the third disc after all. :p The story seems pretty linear thus far...though I've only put in about a good 24 hours at least so far (I have skipped a lot of the dreams however...which would probably bring up my playing time a couple more hours if I had read them all). I'd probably say the re-playability is something like Final Fantasy VII's. (I don't even know how many times I've played through FFVII. :lol:) If you enjoyed FFVII enough, you should like Lost Odyssey just as much. I hope that helps!

cool, yeah, that helps a lot.

Some news I guess.

New Details on 360 Failure Rates Report

Disc read errors, video card failures come second and third to RROD.

By Steve Watts, 02/26/2008

A few weeks ago we reported that warranty service SquareTrade had compiled its console system warranties to arrive at a 16.4% failure rate for Xbox 360 systems. Today, we've got more details on the statistical breakdown. Put on your pocket protectors, kids: it's time for some math.

The actual breakdown is 171 claims out of sample size of 1040 purchased warranties. The sample consisted mostly of Premium units, which taken on their own had a slightly higher 17% failure rate. As previously reported, 60% of the failures were the famed Red Ring, but various other types of errors rounded out the statistic, including disc read errors, video card failures, hard drive freezes, power issues, and disc tray malfunctions.

The new report does note that this only tracks up to 10 months after the warranty purchase, and once a longer period of time is given, the failure rate is likely to increase. It's also worth pointing out that since Microsoft's Red Ring of Death warranty extension was introduced last July, some users may be going directly to the parent company instead.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166656

1. MS's demo 360 at the Game Developer's Conference RROD'd.

2. Did you grow up playing 2D platformers? If so, Fez is the greatest game EVER:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166388

It's much deeper than you think, once you realize how it ACTUALLY works you realize the potential. Physical location means nothing, it's all about perspective. Don't try to make the jump to the platform--bring the platform to you. Even if it's 5 screens away, if you can SEE it get closer--then it is. It's like The Matrix---bend the world to your will.