The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

Well my 360 3 ringed today I guess it was bound to happen since it is exactly 1 yr and 3 days old.

So what should I do I have a Best Buy extended warranty which I purchased before Microsoft extended there warranties so does anyone know what Best Buy does for you do they just give me an off the shelf one or do they send it in or should I just use the Microsoft warranty?

Any suggestion as to what I should do?

it depends on the manager/supervisor. They can either excercise their right to try and fix it or they can give you a new one. You might as well take it in and see what they say. Remember, if the sales guy doesn't give you the answer you want, firmly but politely ask to speak to the manager.

I got Burnout Paradise from a friend as a gift last night. Pretty fun game... it really has the sensation of speed to it.

Am I sick individual for wanting pedestrians to mow down? Playing the game the whole time I kept thinking "this would be so cool if all of a sudden some unfortunate guy walked out of a building in front of me while I'm doing 150 down this sidewalk". :ph34r:

Am I sick individual for wanting pedestrians to mow down? Playing the game the whole time I kept thinking "this would be so cool if all of a sudden some unfortunate guy walked out of a building in front of me while I'm doing 150 down this sidewalk". :ph34r:

In the late 90's there was a racing game which did just that: Carmageddon and it's sequel Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now! All in all, good fun. :)

I'm just used to Grand Theft Auto... You'd have a good run on and then suddenly some guy would walk out in front of your car and THWACK!

Burnout Paradise just seems to have such emphasis put on crash physics that I just think it would be interesting to see what hitting a person would do. Or better yet wildlife... have a deer or a bull moose just walk out onto the road on some back street. Just imagine the complete surprise and shock a player would have burning around a corner doing 160 to come up on a freaking deer in the road.

"Allright! I'm winning! WHAT THE... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!" THWAP! (deer flies up in the air, car flips out of control)

downloaded undertow... meh. even for a free game, I don't like it. I really wish MS had just given everyone 800 pts to spend as we see fit instead of this POS.

Downloaded Undertow yesterday. Disliked it quite a bit. Shortly after I'm done playing it, I get a text message on my cell from my brother: "This free game sucks!".

Yep, sure does make up for the down Live time.

I too wished I didn't download Undertow, what a waste of five minutes!

I'm going to have to look into Burnout Paradise, I've been trying to find a video game that does crash physics as close to real as possible.

I just want to see the damage, test the times, etc. It'll just be for fun to see how it compares to real life and if I wasted all those weeks in Crash Reconstruction school when I could just test stuff with a video game :)

Then again, they had broadband in the rooms at the academy so I always brought my notebook and 360.

I too wished I didn't download Undertow, what a waste of five minutes!

I'm going to have to look into Burnout Paradise, I've been trying to find a video game that does crash physics as close to real as possible.

I just want to see the damage, test the times, etc. It'll just be for fun to see how it compares to real life and if I wasted all those weeks in Crash Reconstruction school when I could just test stuff with a video game :)

Then again, they had broadband in the rooms at the academy so I always brought my notebook and 360.

While impressive in terms of crash physics, won't substitute that. But even our traffic guys think the game is impressive, albeit, a little over the top. But the game is a blast to play. I went with the PS3 version since it was lead platform this time around.

Yeah the crashes are a spectacle to see but I'm not sure how "realistic" they are. It's kind of that weird "surreal real" that video games have. Someone who knows nothing about automobiles and their crash properties will see the game and say "wow that's sooooooo real" but anyone who knows much about crash dynamics will notice the "video game-iness" of it all. All the cars have "crunch zones" that will take damage in varying degrees but the "trunk" of the car (the passenger compartment) will never really deform that much. The front end, back and roof will smash flat and the fenders, doors and wheels will fly off but the cab will always maintain this "solid block" to it. It's also funny but I have yet to lose a hood... and I've done some pretty wild crashes. The hood always seems to crumple rather than pop off like the body panels and doors.

My new favorite mode in the game is Road Rage. I can keep a takedown chain going forever. Last night I had about 30 some in a row before I "caught a bus".

I am jonesing for a new game, and I considered Burnout Paradise (as I really loved the previous Burnouts). But I honestly didn't care for the demo, so I'm thinking I might just hang in there a bit longer and pick up Devil May Cry 4 instead.

I am jonesing for a new game, and I considered Burnout Paradise (as I really loved the previous Burnouts). But I honestly didn't care for the demo, so I'm thinking I might just hang in there a bit longer and pick up Devil May Cry 4 instead.

Mass Effect. You can't go wrong with that.

Mass Effect. You can't go wrong with that.

Except that I picked that up on day one, and finished it once already. Can't fault you for the suggestion, though, as it's easily my favorite 360 game to date.

Exactly. ONCE? That's like saying you played Halo once. It's all about replay...

I can't play a game twice through in a row (with the possible exception of the Ace Combat games, and even then, it was a chore to finish 6 the second time). As I did with Jade Empire and KOTOR, I played ME as a good guy, and will eventually replay as a total apeface. But I've gotta have a few months between playthroughs.

Honestly, I did start to replay ME to try to hit 60 and master the weapons I didn't the first time (pure soldier). I rescued Liara and finished Ferros, and then I just had to move on to something else.

BTW, I finished each of the three Halo games once. Campaign-wise, none of them are worth replaying. Multiplayer-wise, the first Halo was fun, and I even had some good times with Halo 2. But Call of Duty 4 is just more fun than Halo 3.

I can't play a game twice through in a row (with the possible exception of the Ace Combat games, and even then, it was a chore to finish 6 the second time). As I did with Jade Empire and KOTOR, I played ME as a good guy, and will eventually replay as a total apeface. But I've gotta have a few months between playthroughs.

Honestly, I did start to replay ME to try to hit 60 and master the weapons I didn't the first time (pure soldier). I rescued Liara and finished Ferros, and then I just had to move on to something else.

BTW, I finished each of the three Halo games once. Campaign-wise, none of them are worth replaying. Multiplayer-wise, the first Halo was fun, and I even had some good times with Halo 2. But Call of Duty 4 is just more fun than Halo 3.

yeah, I know what you mean. The different classes in ME are varied enough that it made the combat experience different enough that I didn't mind replaying it. But I replayed the vanguard for my last run and I was bored out of my mind. I decided I wouldn't go for the last 2 achievements untill the DLC came out.

I have to agree that COD4 is more fun than Halo3 and though there are some awesome moments in COD4... I have no desire to replay the campaign, achievements or no.

Been playing some different 360 games, thanks to me restarting my Gamefly account.

Stranglehold - The despite being an all around solid game, it has some major problems. Early levels are ruined by stupid objectives "find and destroy 12 _____" or "plant 10 bombs" rather than focusing on purely combat, which is what the game should be about. Later levels are all combat, but the level designs and ridiculously tough bad guys kind of ruin the fun. I'd be interested to see if they make a sequel, as that might actually get it right.

Kane & Lynch - The so-so demo on Marketplace suckered me into this one, but it's total trash. A few levels are very reminiscent of Michael Mann movies, but some of the world enemy AI I've seen this generation (while the game expects you to use cover, the enemies will just run up to you and fire until you kill them). Of course the cover system sucks and is inconsistent. The feature of commanding your squad mates never really works and you're usually better off telling them to just hide at the beginning of the level and going at it solo. I can't believe a game reviewer lost his job over this swill.

Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - I'm no Naruto fan (it's a pretty retarded series, as far as I'm concerned) but I'm actually really liking this one. The game is balanced between the fighting aspect, and having to run around your village helping people out. The village itself reminds me a bit of Crackdown, as it's a lot of fun to explore... although doesn't have quite the depth or variety of Crackdown. Probably only worth full price for Narutards, but I'll probably pick it up if it ever reaches $20/$30.

Omega Five - This might be the best XBLA game since Geometry Wars. Not a strictly traditional Japanese 2D shooter, but better than any western developer could do. Heavy emphasis on memorization and playing through on on credit, so it requires some time investment. Well worth it.

Omega Five - This might be the best XBLA game since Geometry Wars. Not a strictly traditional Japanese 2D shooter, but better than any western developer could do. Heavy emphasis on memorization and playing through on on credit, so it requires some time investment. Well worth it.

It almost seems like a Forgotten Worlds sequel.

Just made the quickest 1,000 achievement points over the weekend. Played through King Kong over Friday and Sunday night. :p But heh, I finally broke 10,000 points overall. :)

As for Halo 3... still playing. :p I actually finally got up to a skill level of 41. Since I'm playing pretty consistantly now and for the most part I've been holding on to that 41, I think I'm going to continue building my skill level up even though I'll probably be playing less.

Rez HD came out today, and everybody should download that. Rez is an amazing game, easily worth way more than the 800 points.

I've been playing a lot of Naruto: Rise of the Ninja (yeah yeah, Naruto sucks) and it's actually a pretty good game. The site in my sig has a review I wrote of up, but to summarize it's way too good to have a shitty property like Naruto attached to it.

Rez HD came out today, and everybody should download that. Rez is an amazing game, easily worth way more than the 800 points.

I agree that Rez is a great game and everyone should play it, but is it still worth the points if you've still got the PS2 version? Aside from more polished graphics, is there any other differences?

I see that a lot for $10 brand new here and there. Is it a ten dollar ride?

When all was said and done I think I got it for about $9 (I got it and a few other 360 and PS2 games for less then $10 each at a Shopko last week).

I don't know about a $10 ride, but it was okay for a $9 ride. :) I'll probably trade it in in the near future though.

I agree that Rez is a great game and everyone should play it, but is it still worth the points if you've still got the PS2 version? Aside from more polished graphics, is there any other differences?

You can use 3 extra remotes as "trance vibrators" for 3x the fun!

Seriously, I dunno.

Hell, I've had the DC disk image for I think 2 years now and never tried it out.

Better graphics with less blur are about the only noticeable differences. People have been saying its more difficult, and that some of the music timing may be off but I'm not sure how true that is.

For me its a matter of convenience, I'm more likely to play it if its on my 360 instead of having to pull out my PS2.

For me its a matter of convenience, I'm more likely to play it if its on my 360 instead of having to pull out my PS2.

I still have my PS2 hooked up (creatively, I might add), since it's modded for imports that the PS3 doesn't like. Only previous-gen console to have that honor (unless you count the fact that my Dreamcast is hooked up to the bedroom TV.) So for me, the slight edge the 360 would have from having the game installed on the HDD is negated by the fact that it could RRoD at any moment.

I knew SOMETHING was coming (they announced it on the forums a little while ago that it'd be up this morning) but didn't know for sure it'd be actual DLC---the last time they announced something like this, it was just another dashboard theme. So I didn't drudge up the thread.

I knew SOMETHING was coming (they announced it on the forums a little while ago that it'd be up this morning) but didn't know for sure it'd be actual DLC---the last time they announced something like this, it was just another dashboard theme. So I didn't drudge up the thread.

And for that you get relegated to being merely a "responder" instead of an "informer". Oh the shame...

And I think this means I'll have to go out and buy some MS points and hook my 360 up to the net again. Never d/l'd anything that wasn't free before. Do I have to subscribe to XBox live to get it or what?

No, you don't need to subscribe or have a gold membership or anything. Just enough points to download it. Though often times, MS makes the good stuff available to gold members earlier, everybody else has to wait a few days.

PS--from now on I'll post every little tidbit I hear about ME. Happy? :) Retroactive announcement! Click here! http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...6&forum=104 This is the very first thread saying that SOMETHING will be ANNOUNCED to be download in the FUTURE, LATER. From yesterday.