The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but yet another friend of mine 3ROD-ed few days ago.

This makes the casualty count 3 out of 5 of us that have 3ROD-ed. 1 of us gave up after getting it back from Microsoft, but now has texture problems on his box. He plans to collect funds to smash his xbox in front of the place he bought it. Another more resourceful friend decided to fix it on his own with the X-Clamp replacement method. So far running so good. The latest one he just sent it back to the shop.

I'm considering selling off the box, and never looking back. Sigh.

1. Sell and wait for new 360 build with smaller chip (hopefully that will help).

2. Get a PS3.

Not many options. Or get an in store warranty that will let you return for a new one. Still a hassle since 360's seem to drop like flies.

Friend's on his 4th. Work buddies all on their 2nd or 3rd ones...ridiculous.

No, I just created a new account for my son on the 360, then we went to the original Xbox and recovered that new account, both accounts work on both systems.

Good to know.

Now I can be a cheap bastard and use my 1 free month of Live Gold to download Mechassault updates!

And, you know, play a game or two. Maybe.

As soon as I run some copper across the house for my 'Boxes.

I'm currently in the process of making an arcade style stick for my 360, seeing as how the only option right now is the DOA4 stick, which goes for well over $100 on eBay.

I've got the circuit board I'll be using (a wireless controller I spiked one too many times after some frustrating GoW games) and an old redoctane arcade stick I'll be using for parts, replacing the crappy stick with a nice Sanwa one, though.

I've found writeups for people making custom arcade sticks out of wired controllers, never a wireless one though. Shouldn't be too hard, just got to figure out how to make the battery pack easily accessible. Guessing there will be a lot of hot glue to counteract the effects of gravity.

That'd be really cool if you could put that together. Are you going to put a graphic of some sort on the top? I've seen some really great designs, such as from Byrdo.com for example. I would KILL for his Mai Shiranui 6 button stick...

http://www.byrdo.org/arcade_joysticks.htm

Edited by myk

Shouldn't be too hard, just got to figure out how to make the battery pack easily accessible.

That's easy. Cut a hole in the side of the box, run wire there, glue the battery pack in it.

I've been kicking around stick ideas for a while.

More PC-oriented, due to MAME. Modular so I could match arcade panels(and play around with layouts, like classic Atari-style right-handed directionals).

But being me, I had plans for something extremely modular. Scavenge a few controllers and wire the boards up to a standard connection, mount them in a box, and I could easily swap the "brains" of the stick out with a cartridge for any system I owned, 2600 to 360.

I need to dig some notes out and actually make one.

Edited by JB0

Halo 3 Beta ended last night. Though I should have gone to bed earlier, I was up past 2:00 in the morning getting in a few more rounds. I started one final Rumble Pit game right before 2:00. It ended at about 2:10. When I waited to see if it would automatically take me to another game, the countdown clock stuck and then took me back to the menu where you set up your game preferences. Matchmaking was frozen so you could no longer select it. Halo 3 Beat was over. :(

Though I wish I could have had more time to play it (there was a time or two I didn't play it for a week because of my busy life), all in all, it was a fun time. Got to play the online, multiplayer game nearly 4 months in advance of the commercial release. It will be interesting to see if these stages will make the final game or if they will be radically different.

Here's my final stats on the Halo 3 Beta:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHal...Apollo%20Leader

And for those thinking of getting rid of their copies of Crackdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcrHhPRQI7U...oystiq%2Ecom%2F

:p

well, I couldn't play at all last week because there was no hi-speed internet where I was at, but these are my final stats:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHal...player=Sarge051

It was ok, I actually started to only like High Ground and would veto the other two maps and try to get other players to veto.

It was fun while it lasted.

I did not get a chance to play that much either. With work and I went on vacation for 5 days. I guess now I can play more Shadowrun. It is not all that great but it being somthing different makes it worth playing for me. I got the PC version on sale at Circuit City for 37.99 with a free copy of Windows Flight Simulator X included.

well, I couldn't play at all last week because there was no hi-speed internet where I was at, but these are my final stats:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHal...player=Sarge051

It was ok, I actually started to only like High Ground and would veto the other two maps and try to get other players to veto.

It was fun while it lasted.

They took down our Halo 3 Beta stats! Boooogguuusssss! :( I had hoped they would have kept that data up for a while.

Now with the Halo 3 Beta over, I can get back to some serious Guitar Hero II playing, start playing one of several 360 games I got last year that I haven't hardly touched yet (GRAW, Over G Fighters, COD3), and continue my trek to getting 10,000 kills on GOW... 6,000 more to go! :p

Hi guys. I officially have 3ROD-ed. This sucks. Group of 6 friends of mine, 5 of us have 3ROD-ed. 2 of them (who managed to persuade me to buy the 360) declared that they're giving up on the console and selling their stuff.

I have the option of paying about 65 USD to get a brand new box from the shop i bought it from. The 65 USD is to cover shipping and taxes incurred for sending the xbox to Singapore for the shop to claim its warranty. The box is not even a year old. I'm considering to pay the money and sell the console off. I'm not gonna pay 65 USD everytime it breaks down. Its a shame really considering i am anticipating games like Halo 3, Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

what is the latest rumour for the 65nm 360? still on target for a fall release?

yeah. end of summer or fall is what the fan sites are saying. Though, it seems refurbished 360's are getting monster heat sinks installed.

yeah. end of summer or fall is what the fan sites are saying. Though, it seems refurbished 360's are getting monster heat sinks installed.

yeah i saw a pic of the new heatsink for the euro (france?) models. also will the 65nm chipset apply to Elites? bah maybe i should just sell my premium unit and get a ps3 lol. (mmmm BD anime...)

Sorry, what's this 65 nm thing? I'm not up to date with the whole "fix your xbox" scene. I am frustrated that despite not playing the damn thing much it died on me. i play less than 4 hours a week for chrissakes.

I'm considering doing the X-clamp thing (which my shop does) which costs less than 10 USD, and apparently is a better fix than getting a new one. My warranty expires in 2 months anyway. Thoughts?

Sorry, what's this 65 nm thing? I'm not up to date with the whole "fix your xbox" scene. I am frustrated that despite not playing the damn thing much it died on me. i play less than 4 hours a week for chrissakes.

I'm considering doing the X-clamp thing (which my shop does) which costs less than 10 USD, and apparently is a better fix than getting a new one. My warranty expires in 2 months anyway. Thoughts?

The 65nm thing is a smaller chip, which should in theory run cooler, which, in theory may help with overheating, which should in theory not give your XBox the Ring of death. ;)

My thoughts...sell the current one after getting it warranty repaired...wait for confirmation of 65nm and heat sink equipped 360's to appear in stores. Play with a Wii and PS3 in the meantime.

The 65nm thing is a smaller chip, which should in theory run cooler, which, in theory may help with overheating, which should in theory not give your XBox the Ring of death. ;)

My thoughts...sell the current one after getting it warranty repaired...wait for confirmation of 65nm and heat sink equipped 360's to appear in stores. Play with a Wii and PS3 in the meantime.

'S not theory. At least, not the first 2 points.

It's electrical fact. Smaller transistors with shorter connections between them reduce part resistance, which results in less waste heat generated.

65nm parts WILL run cooler than their 90nm versions.

And other things being equal, cooler parts reduce overheating issues.

The only way the new parts WON'T reduce overheating is if MS redesigns the cooling to be less efficient or less reliable since they "no longer need" a heatsink quite that big or fans that move quite that much air.

And the cooler staying the same is just assumption at this point.

'S not theory. At least, not the first 2 points.

It's electrical fact. Smaller transistors with shorter connections between them reduce part resistance, which results in less waste heat generated.

65nm parts WILL run cooler than their 90nm versions.

And other things being equal, cooler parts reduce overheating issues.

The only way the new parts WON'T reduce overheating is if MS redesigns the cooling to be less efficient or less reliable since they "no longer need" a heatsink quite that big or fans that move quite that much air.

And the cooler staying the same is just assumption at this point.

Trying to be funny is just lost on you people eh? :p

Play with a Wii and PS3 in the meantime.

Problem with that is that neither the Wii or the PS3 have games worth playing... whereas the 360 does.

Anyways, 8 months and no ROD for me yet, knock on wood. None of my friends have had it either, although a friend did that a magnet in the cd spindle break off.

Problem with that is that neither the Wii or the PS3 have games worth playing... whereas the 360 does.

PS3: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Tekken 5, Calling All Cars, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, PS2 games galore

Wii: Zelda, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Super Paper Mario, Wario Ware, Virtual Console games galore

Not a whole lot, but more than enough to keep a person busy for awhile.

Besides, both are a hair over 6-7 months old. The 360 better have a better library...it was out for a year before them both.

As stated before, we have a console with great games but is a hit or miss when it comes to playing them (more and more, I find people "put up" with whether a game will freeze up on them, not play, or is just plain quirky), and two consoles that are too young to have the library the 360 does. This holiday season will be an interesting one indeed.

Really? Any way to tell without opening it up? I just got a refurbished one back, wonder if it'll do better heat-wise.

I haven't heard or read anything about being able to tell by looking at the outside, unfortunately.

I'm still waiting for the 65nm version. if it ever comes out.

Wow, this might be the most corporate BS-speak-filled article ever: (an "interview" about 360 failures)

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/06/a...0_failures.html

That really is bull crap. Why bother doing an interview if you're not gonna reveal anything? Maybe people need to smash their xboxes in front of MS in Redmond before they get the point that people in fact AREN'T HAPPY.

-__-;;

Gahhhh!

Okay I broke down and paid for the new Gears of War maps.

I am so glad I did. The new maps are amazing. Anyone that wants to play hit me up. The patch also does wonders for the game now too.

Okay I broke down and paid for the new Gears of War maps.

I am so glad I did. The new maps are amazing. Anyone that wants to play hit me up. The patch also does wonders for the game now too.

I haven't been on as much recently (my wireless router's shot and I've been busy with other things), but just let me know when you'll think you'll be on. :) 6,000 more kills for Seriously and I got earn the new achievements that were recently implemented! :D

Edited by Apollo Leader

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone playing the Darkness? I love this game even though it has some shortcomings. The need to shoot all the lights in an area in order to make use of the Darkness powers becomes a little bothersome after a while and Jackie could walk a bit faster, but those are minor issues IMO. The graphics are great and the sound is even better. The developers really put a lot of effort into the sound of the game. All this attention to the sounds in the game really pay off. For example: When you talk to a person, that persons' movements are corresponding with what he/she says instead of just random movements done by the programmers to make the conversation look realistic. Details like this really let the player get more immersed in the game. The game has a decent storyline with a nice little twist every now and then, don't expect anything like The Godfather though, it's still (just) a shooter.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, maybe I'll try it this weekend.

For anyone looking for a game to buy for the kids, don't bother because it has lots and lots of blood 'n gore and even more cussing.