The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

I had a 4wd eclipse and a z32 when I was in college, they were both 5 speed and were really fun to drive. But then my school isn't in any big city.

These days I drive auto in town and manual mode if traffic is not stop and go, the manual 1st gear for my car is a bit tricky so I went for an auto tran because of the commuting. It doesn't feel the same in manual mode, but I can almost drive it as quick as a manual. I just wish I had petal shift and a 6th.... maybe 20 more phonies. :rolleyes:

Hey, the new GT-R could look worse. Granted, I would have loved if they released the prior generation back when the GT-R was based off of the Skyline coupe. All I know is that if I win the lottery, I will be buying the new GT-R!!

but since skyline had become our g35 -- 2+2 z and rear wheel drive atlima, they've got to come up with something else. I figure the gt-r will probably go for the price of a vette, and way higher insurance..and more tickets. I don't really care for this car. besides, I drive mostly around 3k rpm, 400 plus phonies at red line will probably never get used, 300 is plenty for me. ^_^

I can post this in both the plane and car threads! One of the coolest jobs in the USAF has to be chasing down landing U-2's at 140mph. They used to use Z28's, but now it's GTO's:

http://airteamimages.com/displaybig.php?phtID=58010

http://airteamimages.com/displaybig.php?phtID=58009

http://airteamimages.com/displaybig.php?phtID=58011

For those wondering, the U-2 is so hard to land (and so senstive), that they have fellow pilots drive alongside while landing, calling out the plane's altitude and attitude to the pilot during the critical last seconds---they literally call out foot-by-foot at the end. And the pilots practice a lot driving to be able to be in position--it's easy to get there too early (plane can't land if you're in the way) or too late (you'll never catch up if you're 5 secs late). Apparently they can make the turn off the taxiway onto the runway at over 100mph while accelerating to 140, and the tires only last a month. They sit on the taxiway, waiting for just the right moment to go, then floor it to catch up so that the plane and car hit the same speed at the same time (as the car is accelrating but the plane is slowing).

You have to get it in orange to get the cool wheels? That sucks. People have wanted those wheels ever since they found out the Holden SS-V came with them (and were on the G8 show car). They look a lot better on black/red/blue cars...

Thanks for the info though. 6 speed auto only? Strange, would have figured the super-special edition would have introduced the 6M, as it's supposed to come out a little later than the 6A.

I'm feeling that Ferrari 599 GTO--I like the inspiration taken from the 250 GTO, arguably ranks right up there with the California Spyder as one of the most beautiful and sexy Ferraris ever. The egg-crate grill's a bit too big, though--and they could stand to lose that little duct or mini 1/4 window thingy right behind the side windows.

Ah, the Pontiac G8--mad props and thanks to the Aussies for giving GM a potentially great car. Arse-kicking-RWD-V8-muscle-car-performance, and packaged with the practicality of a 4-door sedan. Let's hope people don't piss and moan about the "un-American styling" until Pontiac first buggers it with tacky add-on scoops-and-ducts and eventually kills it, like they did with the GTO.

Ha, I thought you'd say that.

Well, it's just when you take something to such ridiculous extremes, it's hard not to find it amusing. I mean, that's gotta be the tackiest rim I've ever seen. I just hope whoever puts it on their car has the sense to have the interior redone with LV cloth (which sadly, people actually do).

I find ridiculous stuff like this a lot less offensive than some turbo douche poser who puts a ton of money into his car to make it "really fast" and yet has never taken it on a track or a drag strip.

Courtesy of Lenso and SEMA, we have quite possibly the gaudiest rims ever. The Louis Vuitton leather just adds a little pizzaz. Enough to make me want to ram my head into a wall.

Any bets on how many rappers pre-ordered those to replace their out-of-style spinners? :ph34r:

The V6 is fine if you have no intentions of gaining additional power; I'm curious to see what 2.0L turbo they're using, is it an in house unit, or is it the knock off 4G63 build. Personally, i'd wait a couple years to see if they release a V8 RWD, and if they don't pick up the 2.L turbo model and then use all of the money you saved to pump some cash into the motor.

Well, it's just when you take something to such ridiculous extremes, it's hard not to find it amusing. I mean, that's gotta be the tackiest rim I've ever seen. I just hope whoever puts it on their car has the sense to have the interior redone with LV cloth (which sadly, people actually do).

I find ridiculous stuff like this a lot less offensive than some turbo douche poser who puts a ton of money into his car to make it "really fast" and yet has never taken it on a track or a drag strip.

QFT. Man, those rims are dope.

Just when you thought it was safe to speed on the streets of London...

What are they gonna do when they catch up to you? Or what if you just drive off road, it's not like they can follow you then, or run on foot; it'll take them so long just to get out of the thing, that by the time they do, you'll already be scott free

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the iconic Steve McQueen film Bullitt, Ford will release a special edition Mustang GT in Dark Highland Green. And it looks really sharp.

I'm impressed by the little things they did to the motor and suspension, i'm just curious to how well these things translate in the performance numbers.

I'm impressed by the little things they did to the motor and suspension, i'm just curious to how well these things translate in the performance numbers.

I looked at the specs and it seems that the Bullitt is around the same performance range as the Shelby GT-H (or the non-rental Shelby GT).

Car and Driver - 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt

"Engineers say the changes should improve 0-to-60-mph times by 0.3 second, to the high-four-second range. Lt. Frank Bullitt would be pleased."