The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

it obviously wasn't a successor to the RX-7 by any means, but either way, the vehicle was underpowered and the rotary design is made vastly more efficient with a turbocharger. The only thing that would offset the compression loss (without the use of a turbocharger) is to have larger displacement, but the development costs of a new rotary wouldn't have gone well with Ford especially since they just perfected the design flaws with the 13B in development of the Renesis. Rumor has it that Mazda is supposed to develop a 2.0L Rotary for a new gen RX-7, if that is truly the case, then this will be one of the best motors ever. Compression loss issues will be resolved since there will be a larger compression chamber, the added displacement will do wonders for horsepower, and the fuel consumption will remain the same or better than the outgoing model.

Well, Mazda already has a 2.0 rotary, the 20B used in the Cosmo back in the mid-90's. I'm guessing they'll do basically what they did with that, and just slap another chamber on the Renesis.

As nifty as turbo charge'd rotaries are, and as insane as the HP numbers you can get out of them are, the reliability is a crippling factor. A normally aspirated triple rotor would be really cool and a lot of fun to drive.

Well, Mazda already has a 2.0 rotary, the 20B used in the Cosmo back in the mid-90's. I'm guessing they'll do basically what they did with that, and just slap another chamber on the Renesis.

As nifty as turbo charge'd rotaries are, and as insane as the HP numbers you can get out of them are, the reliability is a crippling factor. A normally aspirated triple rotor would be really cool and a lot of fun to drive.

I should've been more specific, a 2.0L twin rotary, the triple rotaries with a renesis (side ported) design added to it would call for a little extra and somewhat inefficient plumbing. Plus that extra rotor adds quite a bit of mass to the motor, if they're going to do a three rotor, they might as well go balls out and do a quad rotor like the 787B, then adding a turbo would just be laughable. They should also do like what they did with the 787B and have the extra spark plugs in the chamber to assist with ignition (similar to direct injection in a piston type) that would also greatly assist with emissions, fuel economy and reliability. As far as turbocharging the current Renesis, i'm not saying throw a huge turbocharger on it or a twin turbo setup like the old 13B had, i was thinking conservative volvo like setup just to assist with compression and fuel economy.

I've seen the Cosmos swap into an RX-8 before and that motor is a lot larger than i thought, then again, he also had the biggest turbo you could imagine under the hood. Surprisingly, Mazda's MT 6 speed holds up really well, because the guy who swapped the cosmos said it bolted up no problem (the Cosmos all came automatic) and that all he had to do was strengthen the output shaft and the MT was able to handle all 770WHP no problem.

Edited by emajnthis

I'm looking at different vehicles right now because I'm probably going to buy one Spring 2008 at the earliest. I'm looking mainly at cars under $20K. So far I'm interested in the following:

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Mazda 3

Mitsubishi Lancer

Nissan Versa

Scion XB

Scion XD

VW Rabbit

I just wanted hear people's thoughts, opinions, and recommendations. Through out any other vehicles you would recommend in the $20K price range

I was actually shopping many of the same car options myself about 6 months ago, I had narrowed it down to either the Civic, (economy and reliability), The Lancer (Just liked the style, felt like a good car) and the Mazda 3, I have two friend'swith Mazda 3 "sport-wagon" and they are fun little race-cars the handling is pretty incredible for a FWD sport wagon. Anyhow, I was thinking about expanding my price range and jumping into the Speed3 when I hit the Mazda dealership and saw that they had absolutely slached the prices of the RX-8's, they were $28,000 to $35,000 a couple years ago so I didn't even consider them an option they were marked down for year end blah blah whatever, $23,000 for the sport on the window, and $28,000 for the GT. I test drove mine and after a couple days of haggling and leaving ended up buying it for just under $22,000.

So, basically, take a look around the lots when you go shopping, something that you thought was unattainable may jump out at you.

I was actually shopping many of the same car options myself about 6 months ago, I had narrowed it down to either the Civic, (economy and reliability), The Lancer (Just liked the style, felt like a good car) and the Mazda 3, I have two friend'swith Mazda 3 "sport-wagon" and they are fun little race-cars the handling is pretty incredible for a FWD sport wagon. Anyhow, I was thinking about expanding my price range and jumping into the Speed3 when I hit the Mazda dealership and saw that they had absolutely slached the prices of the RX-8's, they were $28,000 to $35,000 a couple years ago so I didn't even consider them an option they were marked down for year end blah blah whatever, $23,000 for the sport on the window, and $28,000 for the GT. I test drove mine and after a couple days of haggling and leaving ended up buying it for just under $22,000.

So, basically, take a look around the lots when you go shopping, something that you thought was unattainable may jump out at you.

I mentioned that earlier, i find them (RX-8's) in the paper for wicked cheap all the time, usually in the 20k mile range going for $18k more or less.

Yeah you can find great deals on used ones, for the price though, I was willing to go a little higher to get it new with the full manufacturer's warranty. One RX-8 piece of advice I would share or anyone looking at them would be to avoid used 2004/2005 Automatics, The first year or two the 4 port Automatic, I have read had some serious issues.

I love mine, the 6 speed manual is a blast to drive although it has taken some getting used to putting the car in 6th, which is where reverse is on my F-150, although (knock on wood) I think the odds of my mixing them up is pretty low, that truck feels like I'm driving a dump truck now. :blink:

Yeah you can find great deals on used ones, for the price though, I was willing to go a little higher to get it new with the full manufacturer's warranty. One RX-8 piece of advice I would share or anyone looking at them would be to avoid used 2004/2005 Automatics, The first year or two the 4 port Automatic, I have read had some serious issues.

I love mine, the 6 speed manual is a blast to drive although it has taken some getting used to putting the car in 6th, which is where reverse is on my F-150, although (knock on wood) I think the odds of my mixing them up is pretty low, that truck feels like I'm driving a dump truck now. :blink:

6 Speeds are great, i never really used 6th gear much when i owned my Supra

Automatics on sports cars are as lame as people who don't know how to drive stick.

Automatics (at least the built-up ones) seem less lame when you get tired of breaking manual transmissions; then, there's the consistency thing on the dragstrip. . . Of course, I prefer to drive a manual transmission (both my cars are manual transmission types), but there will come a time where I'll bite the bullet and put in a built auto.

Nice responses everyone. This car will pretty much be just a daily driver. I've been googling the different cars and reading all kinds of reviews, comments on each of the cars. I may just splurge a little and move up into the $25K range though this is all 6 months to a year away from now. Although my list was entirely made of imports, I am open to American cars. It's just a built in bias from growing up in a Toyota family. I do like the Pontiac G6 and there's just something about the Chevy HHR that I like too.

I may just splurge a little and move up into the $25K range though this is all 6 months to a year away from now. Although my list was entirely made of imports, I am open to American cars.

Uh-oh. If this is the case, then have you considered. . . ? Eh, I'll refrain and let other members come up with a bunch of new suggestions. :)

Edited by Wicked Ace

GT-R was just officially unveiled at Tokyo Motor Show, US shores will see the car released in June 2008 and its Nurburgring lap time is confirmed 7:38, it has established itself among some of the fastest super cars in the world to run on the ring (same as or better than McLaren SLR, old CCR, Ford GT, ZO6, Porsche 997 Turbo, barely slower than 997 GT2, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg CCR, etc.). This would make the GT-R the best price to performance for any car to run laps on the ring.

Straight line performance is claimed (by Nissan, not tested by any other source as of yet) at 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 in 11.7 which is definitely super car fast. Price is not official, but rumors have it pinned at just under $70g (ZO6 territory), but that's the MSRP, so mark up will probably be considerably more (a la GT500, ZO6, Ford GT, etc.).

Colors have been confirmed as:

Ultimate Metal Silver

Titanium Gray

White Pearl

Vibrant Red

Dark Metal Gray

& Super Black

High Res Photos here:

http://press.nissan-global.com/NISSANGTR/EN/photographs.html

Full Nurburgring film can be found here:

http://www.nissan.co.jp/MS/TOKYO2007/E/index.html

Click GT-R detail at opening, and then movie from the bar menu.

GTR gets influenced by Mobile Suit Gundam

Overall, the GT-R's exterior design pays homage to modern Japanese culture. Hasegawa admits to harnessing his countrymen's fixation with all things futuristic and high tech-such as Sony's Aibo robotic dog and "Mobile Suit Gundam," a popular Japanese cartoon about giant robot warriors. "The 'coolness' of machines like Aibo and Gundam comes from the fact that they're inorganic, yet made to show movements of something truly alive," clarifies Hasegawa. "We wanted to infuse something similar into the design of the GT-R, which is also a machine."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...gt_r/index.html

Any and Everything you'll need to know about the GT-R

http://www.nagtroc.com/forums/index.php?sh...=20263&st=0

You can even watch TV (built in digital TV tuner) and DVD's on the 7" LCD screen; the interface for the LCD was programmed by the developers of the Gran Tourismo Franchise.

And the Trans is exactly as pfunk had determined which is basically a Corvette transaxle with an extra drive shaft for the front wheels and all of the split is computer controlled.

Lots of goodies and firsts for technology in this vehicle, including plasma filled cylinder liners; they're basically taking technology that is normally only applicable to cars in the $400K+ range and stuffing it into a production level sub $70k car. If all goes as planned, I will own one in about 2-3 years.

Hey, the new GT-R could look worse.

Lol. No, it couldn't. That thing is the love-child of a Cobalt SS and a Tiburon...

I want to see this car in person before I make a judgment call. Of course, the performance potential for this one makes it look pretty attractive to someone like me. Hell, I'm the type to lust after street-driven, primered Chevy Nova's when they run 9's on the quarter mile. :lol:

Edited by Wicked Ace

I want to see this car in person before I make a judgment call. Of course, the performance potential for this one makes it look pretty attractive to someone like me. Hell, I'm the type to lust after street-driven, primered Chevy Nova's when they run 9's on the quarter mile. :lol:

precisely my thinking. The performance potential of this car seems uncanny, and styling is something to be judged in person, a good example is the Cayman; Caymans' look pug ugly in photos but look absolutely stunning in person. Furthermore, the car has a cD (drag coefficient) of .27, which is basically unheard of even for super cars.

Edited by emajnthis

Ugh, the GTR looks like a G35 with gills and slapped on slabby sides. I'd rather spend money on a new M3 even if it is slower. There's nothing in the body lines that evoke a sense of grace, elegance, or speed. Ponderous is the only word that comes to mind when looking at the weird blocky shape and awkward front mouth, which doesn't quite work on the EVO X either.

I've never had trouble driving manual in the snow, anyone who does shouldn't be driving manual in the first place.

I'll have to say I fall in that category---mainly because frankly, I've never had anything to practice with. 1 hour in driver's ed really isn't enough, and few people will trust you with their car to learn. (perpetual source of shame for me, as my dad's truck has an 18-speed and he can double-clutch it)

It doesn't take long to learn how to drive stick. I learned how in a mere half an hour, and I'm one of the worst coordinated people in existence! I was taught how to drive stick at a car dealership when I bought my very first manual-transmission car.

Learning wasn't the issue, rather the availability. When I was in the market for the '69 Charger, '97 Z28 and the '99 Trans-Am, the 4 and 6 speeds for those cars were very difficult to come by-I found one example of an M4 Charger in a year, 7 months for the F cars and so forth. I'm not an autocross racer, drag racer, drifter, or even a boulevard cruiser-I sit in traffic like every other dumb-ass poser-racer-boy, so a manual transmission wasn't the priority; rather, I was interested in engine and exterior options. Besides, with all of the torque my engines have the transmission type is a moot point...

Learning wasn't the issue, rather the availability. When I was in the market for the '69 Charger, '97 Z28 and the '99 Trans-Am, the 4 and 6 speeds for those cars were very difficult to come by-I found one example of an M4 Charger in a year, 7 months for the F cars and so forth. I'm not an autocross racer, drag racer, drifter, or even a boulevard cruiser-I sit in traffic like every other dumb-ass poser-racer-boy, so a manual transmission wasn't the priority; rather, I was interested in engine and exterior options. Besides, with all of the torque my engines have the transmission type is a moot point...

Even the draggers use two stage autos, you hardly see them with manuals anymore. It's normally the auto crossers and definitely the drifters that need manuals. I like having a manual for the sheer control and almost organic feel it brings to your driving experience; this coming from someone who used to commute to DC everyday for three years (we're always in the top 3 for worst traffic and most aggressive driving), so the traffic argument is a moot point. Motors and exterior options are a different bag, especially when you're talking 60's and 70's, because all of the good manuals are either in a garage or wrapped around a tree. The nice thing about your cars, is if you really wanted to, you could pick up a compatible tremac no problem and bolt it right up. The aftermarket has become very generous for the classic generation of vehicles.

IMO, traffic should not be an excuse to not drive stick. When I first got my license in the Philippines 15 years ago, less than 5% of the cars in Manila were automatic. Take into consideration that rush hour traffic there is 4-5 mph.

The only time I'll ever own an automatic is if I'll ever lose an arm or a leg.

I really think if everyone drove manual there would be less traffic accidents because you need to be totally focused on driving when using a stick and you can't do anything else while driving (talk on the cell, eat, etc). I'm leaning towards getting manual on my next car purchase because I think it'll be a useful skill to know.

I really think if everyone drove manual there would be less traffic accidents because you need to be totally focused on driving when using a stick and you can't do anything else while driving (talk on the cell, eat, etc). I'm leaning towards getting manual on my next car purchase because I think it'll be a useful skill to know.

LOL, i half agree with you; yes, i'm more focused and definitely more in control of my vehicle when driving manual, however, i can still eat, talk on my cell phone, and perform any other one handed task while driving manual. It doesn't affect me to drive manual with one hand over driving with two, unless i was trying to race or perform some other fully focused task, leisurely driving can be performed with one hand easily. But definitely, i feel that there would be a lot less accidents if everyone was forced to drive manual, or at least forced to learn manual when obtaining their drivers license.

Edited by emajnthis

I'd hit it.

And in regards to the transmissions, I would kill my next door neighbor to have manuals in my cars, but as I said before availability was non-existent, or at least I wasn't willing to wait for the "perfect combination" to come along. Also I agree, traffic isn't a valid argument against manual transmissions...