The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

A7 was your friends car totalled? Hopefully he can get an brand new car out of it.

Yes, it's totaled. He told me he might switch back to a WRX, but I warned him about the insurance costs. (He previously owned a 2003 WRX, but traded it in for a Honda Fit because it cost him $250/month to insure. Then he traded in the Fit for the Jetta because he wanted something faster and more luxurious.)

First of all, that truck driver needs to be put to death. Secondly, I'm glad you're friend's o.k. Finally, I can't believe it's $250 a month for 1 car, a WRX. I pay $300 a month but that's for all 4 cars and I'm not talking about Civics, although they are pretty old. Are cars like the WRX that much of a liability these days?

First of all, that truck driver needs to be put to death. Secondly, I'm glad you're friend's o.k. Finally, I can't believe it's $250 a month for 1 car, a WRX. I pay $300 a month but that's for all 4 cars and I'm not talking about Civics, although they are pretty old. Are cars like the WRX that much of a liability these days?

I forgot which magazine mentioned this, but the three most painful to insure are the following:

1. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

2. Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STi

3. Dodge Neon SRT-4

Part of the reason why these cars are a pain to insure are because they're almost always involved in illegal street racing by teenagers. And more often than not, they're the cause of major accidents. BTW, my friend's policy was pretty low for any WRX owner here in the L.A. area (he's over 25, married and has children; he lived in Van Nuys, which is a pretty bad neighborhood).

When he got the Fit, his insurance went down to the low $100's/mo. It got to around $75/mo. when he moved his family to Long Beach. I don't know how much he was paying for the Jetta before the accident, but that's gonna go to his record.

(Those not living in the U.S., here's an explanation: if you're involved in an accident, whether or not it's your fault, your insurance rate will go up, no matter what. Insurance companies don't care if you're a good driver or not; they just want your money. One exception is AllState, which has an Accident Forgiveness program that supposedly will not change your rate in case of an accident. The downside is that AllState's rates are ridiculously high to begin with.)

I once had a co-worker at RadioShack who is 19 and owned an EVO. He had to pay $410/mo. To no surprise, it got stolen. He did get compensated for it, but still got jipped (perhaps his own fault) because he put thousands of $$$ of aftermarket engine parts on it.

WRX's have ridiculous insurance rates, though 250/month is what a 16/yr old should be paying for a car like that, not a 20 something year old. The reason the WRX's (and EVO's, which have higher rates) are so bad is due to people buying and recking them. People put too much faith into the AWD system and wreck them in bad weather. Furthermore, these cars are also hot for being stolen or jacked for parts, usually the WRX isn't a prime suspect since they're more difficult to remove parts from due to its configuration, but the EVO is a prime target, which is also why the insurance rates are higher (you can steal all of the good parts from an EVO without even moving the car; one of its biggest (dis)advantages).

I'm currently celebrating, because I just got my insurance bill.

Sounds odd, but my WRX's insurance just went from almost 400 a month, to 188 a month. Finally avoided tickets for long enough to get the discount, and my birthday being in august helped. Maybe my car clicking over five model years old helped, too.

Long time no see, everybody, by the way...

Yes, it's totaled. He told me he might switch back to a WRX, but I warned him about the insurance costs. (He previously owned a 2003 WRX, but traded it in for a Honda Fit because it cost him $250/month to insure. Then he traded in the Fit for the Jetta because he wanted something faster and more luxurious.)

may I ask how old is your friend? did he got any ticket the last couple of years? I think he should lay low for a couple of years, like an Accord or a regular Jetta, just to save money. It seems anything with a turbo in it will make your insurance double, then $20 or so for each ticket, but the total drop to about half once you hit 25, at least mine did.

I pay $90 on my Z and $60 on my Camry, and I already think I'm paying too much :p. A couple of years ago a friend of mine paid only about $70 for a brand new 911, a ML, a 540i, and an Accord, but he has two kids and no record.

Edited by Vince

WRX's have ridiculous insurance rates, though 250/month is what a 16/yr old should be paying for a car like that, not a 20 something year old. The reason the WRX's (and EVO's, which have higher rates) are so bad is due to people buying and recking them. People put too much faith into the AWD system and wreck them in bad weather. Furthermore, these cars are also hot for being stolen or jacked for parts, usually the WRX isn't a prime suspect since they're more difficult to remove parts from due to its configuration, but the EVO is a prime target, which is also why the insurance rates are higher (you can steal all of the good parts from an EVO without even moving the car; one of its biggest (dis)advantages).

Don't forget a lot of people think they are street racers, and think they were better drivers than they are - at least in where I live. Almost every time I stop at a red light, some guy would pull up in a little 4 banger and want a race.

Edited by Vince

I forgot which magazine mentioned this, but the three most painful to insure are the following:

1. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

2. Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STi

3. Dodge Neon SRT-4

Part of the reason why these cars are a pain to insure are because they're almost always involved in illegal street racing by teenagers. And more often than not, they're the cause of major accidents. BTW, my friend's policy was pretty low for any WRX owner here in the L.A. area (he's over 25, married and has children; he lived in Van Nuys, which is a pretty bad neighborhood).

When he got the Fit, his insurance went down to the low $100's/mo. It got to around $75/mo. when he moved his family to Long Beach. I don't know how much he was paying for the Jetta before the accident, but that's gonna go to his record.

(Those not living in the U.S., here's an explanation: if you're involved in an accident, whether or not it's your fault, your insurance rate will go up, no matter what. Insurance companies don't care if you're a good driver or not; they just want your money. One exception is AllState, which has an Accident Forgiveness program that supposedly will not change your rate in case of an accident. The downside is that AllState's rates are ridiculously high to begin with.)

I'm not sure that's the case, your insurance rate goes up if your insurance pays out your fault or not, but if it is not your fault your insurance has the right to go after the other party and make them pay 3 to 4 time the actual paid out amount or have them driver license suspended until they pay up, or make arrangement to pay and this will be oversee by the state's public safety department. If your record is not clean, Progressive is the best bet, but sign up online, because an agent can charge you whatever they want.

Edited by Vince

Just saw the new GT-R in the flesh. In black.

Looks better than in the pictures. Looks bigger and wider then the paper dimensions would suggest too.

Its a nice car but I find the build quality/materials not up to the higher end Audi/VWs' level (but probably more reliable).

The brake calipers are HUGE. Guess they need to be, seeing how heavy the damn thing is.

Seconding what Vince said about the insurance.

Things vary by state. In NJ your rate goes up if your insurance has to pay for the damages. Out of the four accidents that I've been involved in, only one was my fault. My insurance only went up for that accident, not the other three in which the other drivers' insurance had to pay for the repairs.

may I ask how old is your friend? did he got any ticket the last couple of years? I think he should lay low for a couple of years, like an Accord or a regular Jetta, just to save money. It seems anything with a turbo in it will make your insurance double, then $20 or so for each ticket, but the total drop to about half once you hit 25, at least mine did.

I pay $90 on my Z and $60 on my Camry, and I already think I'm paying too much :p. A couple of years ago a friend of mine paid only about $70 for a brand new 911, a ML, a 540i, and an Accord, but he has two kids and no record.

He's 30 and he has been in two accidents (not including the last one) within the past eight years. As far as tickets go, I never asked him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he got any with his WRX. He did get his wheels stolen once.

And remember, we're talking about California, where your wallet gets raped on anything no matter what.

I'm currently celebrating, because I just got my insurance bill.

Sounds odd, but my WRX's insurance just went from almost 400 a month, to 188 a month. Finally avoided tickets for long enough to get the discount, and my birthday being in august helped. Maybe my car clicking over five model years old helped, too.

Long time no see, everybody, by the way...

Hey how's it going, man? Are you still racing and stuff? I'm glad to see you haven't wrecked this one yet! Let us know what you've been up to...

7%. It used to be 6% until we got a new governor. Not only did he raise the sales tax, he also increased the number of things the tax applies to. Some of these include software downloads, the rental of storage units, and magaines and periodicals, all of which had no sales tax. NJ really hoses us with property taxes and fairly high auto insurance rates. Plus, we also have to pay to use most of our beaches.

Hah! California has an average of around 8% (8.25% here in L.A., up to 10% in Downtown L.A. and LAX Airport). I don't know if this also applies to NJ law, but you still have to pay tax on any wireless phone that's free with a contract (tax based on the phone's retail price; so if you choose the free RAZR on the counter, you have to give the Governator at least $25 to go home with that new phone).

He's 30 and he has been in two accidents (not including the last one) within the past eight years. As far as tickets go, I never asked him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he got any with his WRX. He did get his wheels stolen once.

And remember, we're talking about California, where your wallet gets raped on anything no matter what.

I know insurance companies set their own numbers of the years with records - whatever they call it. They normally looked back 5 years back when I was in college. I think some of them have gone to 7 years , Progressive for sure did. I think the stolen car probably added $100 to $150 to his insurance. If your friend would like to save some money, I'd suggest he get in something maybe last model years 4 door none turbo with a V6 for a couple of years, save up the insurance and buy something nice with it later. but it's just me.

But people get paid more in California right? because of the living standard I think.

Where I live just got a new mayor, and the sales tax inside city limit will goes to 10% on new year. They up the county and city sales tax to 9% from 8% back in 2000. Keep saying the extra money will go to the schools ???? In short, the schools around have not seen much of that money. And the extra 1% (again) over the 9% is suppose to go to a dome stadium, which very likely will be built in one of the lower income area around the city. We don't have any sport team to put in the stadium, not much public transportation, and even less to do around town..... Now who's wallet is getting raped?

Saw something I'd never seen before tonight at the movie theaters---a gold 98+ Trans Am. I have the 98 brochure around here somewhere, and I don't recall gold being an option, so maybe it's a 99 or 00. (Didn't get a look at the wheels to identify it that way). It was in perfect condition and very clean and shiny, so I'm really kinda wondering who brings a rare-colored, super-mint Trans Am out in the ice and dirt. It's only the second 4th-gen F-body I've ever seen in this kind of weather (other was a silver Formula). (All the Corvettes etc are tucked away for the winter around here) Now, the weather was pefectly driveable, (and 100x better than the time I saw the silver formula in the snow) but still, if there's ice at all, you usually don't see anything that is a powerful RWD. Very little snow on the streets now, but a good bit of frost and some ice. No slush. (Saw a Cobra slid and spun off the interstate on the news yesterday) (Snow, slush, ice, and frost all are very different for tires)

Before I picked up my black '99 Trans Am, I seriously considered picking up a gold 2000 convertible T/A. According to the related forums it's a very rare color, although I just couldn't bring myself to get excited over it-I mean it's gold. Also, convertible T/A's don't get the high T/A spoiler, they get the lower Formula one, and as far as I'm concerned a T/A really isn't one unless it has the high-gonzo spoiler on it. And as for the color, it's gotta' be black OR navy blue metallic...

Before I picked up my black '99 Trans Am, I seriously considered picking up a gold 2000 convertible T/A. According to the related forums it's a very rare color, although I just couldn't bring myself to get excited over it-I mean it's gold. Also, convertible T/A's don't get the high T/A spoiler, they get the lower Formula one, and as far as I'm concerned a T/A really isn't one unless it has the high-gonzo spoiler on it. And as for the color, it's gotta' be black OR navy blue metallic...

Speaking of T/A's; I was talking to my coworker, and awhile back he inherited a '79 10th Anniversary Trans Am with the Olds 403. He isn't much into cars but was sharing the things that him and his dad had done to it before his dad had moved to Greece. The car is a few states north at his parents house, parked outside at the whim of the elements and he felt bad that he couldn't provide a proper weather free home for it.

So i decided to shoot him an offer... of 3 grand. Keep in mind, this car is mechanically perfect, of course since it's outside, and it's a trans am, you can guarantee the body is going to have rust developing on the under carriage and the brakes and tires will likely need replacing, but other than that the car should be an easy turn over (either profit, or weekend car). He actually accepted the offer... problem is, he's one of the nicest people i know, not that fake nice, genuinely nice, so feeling bad for possibly taking advantage of him and knowing he probably needed the money, i told him the actual value of the car (based on rough estimate of condition and mileage) of about 9 grand or more. This obviously sent him back in his seat, but if anyone on the east coast is looking for a 79 trans, I know a guy who might have one for sale :p

Wasn't sure where this should go--here, or in a "video games" thread:

Pretty neat. Although, I did notice what looked like a quick cut-scene, so this could all very well just be the result of clever editing. But a pretty compelling argument for the "realism" acheived by modern games thus far...

Meh, I've still sworn off console games. I'll never spend my dough on a driving game so long as I've got a real car I can get parts for to make it go faster! <_<

Tire pressure question:

The federally-mandated tire-monitoring system in new cars was clearly not designed for midwestern states that experience wild temp swings. PSI is changing faster than I can keep up due to weather changes, and the car keeps beeping at me. (4PSI per day or so, while 5-6 will trip the system). Now, my car's tires are supposed to be at 30PSI. They were at 29 a few days ago. They're at 24 now due to losing 25+ degrees or so over the weekend, and the car's beeping at me that they're low. However, if I fill them up to 30PSI soon, we are supposed to see a 31 degree increase in temperature by Friday afternoon, and then they'll be up around 35PSI, and it'll be beeping at me for over-inflation.

So--what's better? Overinflation, or underinflation? Because I do not plan to bleed/inflate my tires daily. (currently I plan to leave them about where they are, as I expect this to be the coldest week of all winter----and the PSI will naturally raise to about the right number as we warm up over the next 2 weeks)

at least it wasn't a car company that people care about; if it were a truck load of Ferrari's or even higher model Audi's or something then maybe there would be tears shed, but VW's suck, they're doing us a favor.

Lol. In any case, if your co-worker can't sell the car for a higher amount will you resume your offer with him?

Tire pressure question:

The federally-mandated tire-monitoring system in new cars was clearly not designed for midwestern states that experience wild temp swings. PSI is changing faster than I can keep up due to weather changes, and the car keeps beeping at me. (4PSI per day or so, while 5-6 will trip the system). Now, my car's tires are supposed to be at 30PSI. They were at 29 a few days ago. They're at 24 now due to losing 25+ degrees or so over the weekend, and the car's beeping at me that they're low. However, if I fill them up to 30PSI soon, we are supposed to see a 31 degree increase in temperature by Friday afternoon, and then they'll be up around 35PSI, and it'll be beeping at me for over-inflation.

So--what's better? Overinflation, or underinflation? Because I do not plan to bleed/inflate my tires daily. (currently I plan to leave them about where they are, as I expect this to be the coldest week of all winter----and the PSI will naturally raise to about the right number as we warm up over the next 2 weeks)

use nitrogen, it doesn't expand or contract as much due to changes in the weather. Going up or down a few psi so long as it is even on all four tires isn't going to hurt anything. Obviously if its uneven then you can get tire wear in bad places and if its really bad you can cup a tire, but using nitrogen to keep the expand/contract margins lower and checking the tire pressure on all four tires to keep them balanced is what's important.

Lol. In any case, if your co-worker can't sell the car for a higher amount will you resume your offer with him?

heck yeh! If he gets lazy or doesn't get any buyers then i'm definitely picking that thing up. Who wouldn't want a 6.6 Liter V8 with 320lb/ft torque under the bonnet! As soon as you go to a higher flowing intake system that thing gains gobs of power; those motors are ridiculously detuned for road use and emissions for its time, and especially since it's now considered an antique car, you can do whatever you want to it and not have to worry about emissions testing.

Going back to the insurance thing, I have a 2008 WRX and it costs me $120.00/mo to insure it. I wanted to buy a used 2006 WRX(because of the shape/design) but insurance was about 50 dollars more. They got this rate using the VIN number of both vehicles. Now, the 2008 WRX had less turbo lag time compared to the 2006 WRX, and the interior IMO is far nicer. I love the 2008 WRX regardless of all the bashing and flaming about its new design. I'm very satisfied with my little blue demon!

The only thing I've done to it is I changed the ridiculous front grill. Then I de-badged it. People stare twice, apparently because they don't know what the hell kinda' car I'm driving. I live in Houston BTW.