The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

Wicked nice GT!!! Did you change your foglight grill? I don't see pony up front and the center 2 lights seem closer together. I'd like to get a gt 500 so bad. I saw 2 today at one of my local ford dealeships.

Wicked nice GT!!! Did you change your foglight grill? I don't see pony up front and the center 2 lights seem closer together. I'd like to get a gt 500 so bad. I saw 2 today at one of my local ford dealeships.

Yeah, the grill is an aftermarket piece which brings the driving lights closer to the middle, like on the 1967 Shelby Mustangs. I thought about trading my '05 in for an '07 Shelby GT500, but I couldn't get any dealership to come anywhere close to MSRP. The best I could get was $10,000 over sticker -- not going to do that, especially for a car that typically puts down (only) about 440ish rear wheel horsepower and weighs 3,900 lbs.

Lol...why not...my Corrado.

Like yellowlightman, I've always liked the Corrado. The polished fancy alternator ;) ;) has my attention. How much horsepower does your car make -- that is, if you're willing to state (some people treat such a question as too personal :lol: )?

Edited by Wicked Ace

I'm impressed with the car tastes of Macrossworld members -- nice. The attached pic is of my daily driver; for those of you who object, you should know there's a significant mosquito problem in my neighborhood.

mattsburnoutej6.jpg

nice ride

That is a sweet Corrado. Other than the GTi Mk I, I always thought the Corrado was the last great VW. That was until the GTi Mk V came out.

BTW, Vince, please refrain from quoting images if you're just gonna reply with, "nice ride."

Edited by areaseven

That is a sweet Corrado. Other than the GTi Mk I, I always thought the Corrado was the last great VW. That was until the GTi Mk V came out.

BTW, Vince, please refrain from quoting images if you're just gonna reply with, "nice ride."

sorry

Thanks for the kind words!

The car was run on Neuspeed's Clayton dyno. It made 272 to the engine (Neuspeed calculates engine power). I recently installed a pair of Schrick 264/260 cams.

The car has been problematic (mostly small ectectrical stuff)...but I've working through them one by one. I knew what I was getting into when I got the car.

Since the car has been out of production for 12 years now...parts are being discontinued and are getting super expensive. I bought a pair of French spec headlights about 1.5 years ago for 500 shipped from Germany...now its 700. :mellow:

The spoiler has yet to fail on me. :lol:

I bought a pair of French spec headlights about 1.5 years ago for 500 shipped from Germany...now its 700. :mellow:

The spoiler has yet to fail on me. :lol:

Sacre bleu! Those are some expensive headlights. Oh, and I really like the stance of your car -- sits nice and low.

Tragedy strikes the rallying world: former WRC Champion Colin McRae, "was killed in a helicopter crash along with his 5 yr old son and two others, police said this Sunday. McRae was piloting the helicopter, which he owned and was licensed to fly, when it crashed Saturday in a wooded area near his home."

Sad news indeed. Heartfelt wishes go out to McRae's family, as well as those of the others involved in the crash. :(

br-42077.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at different vehicles right now because I'm probably going to buy one Spring 2008 at the earliest. I'm looking mainly at cars under $20K. So far I'm interested in the following:

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Mazda 3

Mitsubishi Lancer

Nissan Versa

Scion XB

Scion XD

VW Rabbit

I just wanted hear people's thoughts, opinions, and recommendations. Through out any other vehicles you would recommend in the $20K price range

I'm looking at different vehicles right now because I'm probably going to buy one Spring 2008 at the earliest. I'm looking mainly at cars under $20K. So far I'm interested in the following:

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Mazda 3

Mitsubishi Lancer

Nissan Versa

Scion XB

Scion XD

VW Rabbit

I just wanted hear people's thoughts, opinions, and recommendations. Through out any other vehicles you would recommend in the $20K price range

What are you going to be doing with it? Everyday commuter? I'd go for one of the Hondas if so. Lots of upgrades available for almost everything else on your list if you want to do anything to it. I'd personally stay away from the VW - VW's are the Bic Lighter of the automotive world :lol:

* Edit - No offense, VF1 Strike Valk! I quite like your Corrado, like YLM says, probably the best of the watercooled VWs.

Edited by Hiriyu

I'm ashamed to say I'm not much of a car person. When I was growing up we owned a car dealership and a garage for a time. Family car was a mustang. We also had Pinto. Only thing I can do is change a tire. Cars in my current price range are either compact, budget, used or all three. It is hard for me to research the latest cool cars when I know my current ride & those in the near future for me will be far from cool.

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Mazda 3

Mitsubishi Lancer

Nissan Versa

Scion XB

Scion XD

VW Rabbit

None of these (at least at the $20K USD and under price) have a turbo. :mellow: Anyway, if I had to pick from this list, I think I'd take the Mazda 3 as well -- just don't blame me if it breaks down before the Honda choices. ^_^

Honda Civic

Honda Fit

Mazda 3

Mitsubishi Lancer

Nissan Versa

Scion XB

Scion XD

VW Rabbit

Here is my 2 cents:

Civic will likely be the most dependable, and highest resale value, but it is also the most expensive. go for it if you want to mod it .

Fit is not meant for American highway, but it sure is cute.

Versa and XD are cool by I like XC better for around 17k. XB I just don't feel it.

Mitsubishi are good car, however resale value is low and good luck selling you used Lancer, EVO and WRX are different, but for their prices I would go for a small BMW.

My choice on your list would be either the Mazda 3 or the VW Rabbit. I've never driven a Mazda 3 before, so I can only say it really is a good value, and it looks pretty good too. VW you'll get German design and prepaid maintenance -- I think?

drive the Mazda and the VW a see which one you like better. .. google too.

None of these (at least at the $20K USD and under price) have a turbo. :mellow: Anyway, if I had to pick from this list, I think I'd take the Mazda 3 as well -- just don't blame me if it breaks down before the Honda choices. ^_^

The Mazda3's are very reliable, both the 2.0L and 2.3L are built off of a super reliable fully closed deck block (that means the block won't explode, even under boost). If you can, try to get the MazdaSPEED3; my co-worker owns one and they're a great and fun to drive car. He got his for just above 20k (used), and it's not too bad on your insurance, comes with a direct injected 2.3L Turbo and Intercooled I4, pulls some really good times and has excellent capabilities, not to mention it's a hatchback with tons of room. I'd pass on the Honda's, they're cute, but the MazdaSPEED3 has any car in the 20k range licked by a long shot, and they're not maintenance whores by any means. The only Mazdas that had inherent maintenance issues were the old RX-7's due to a design flaw (which has since been revised in the RX-8), other than that, most Mazda's can claim to be very reliable.

EDIT:

Since i realized I breifly mentioned it, you can find RX-8's for SUPER CHEAP!!! I found a 2004 RX-8 with 20,000 miles for $17000! Other than the Mazda3, i'd say definitely go buy an RX-8, just make sure you don't put synthetic oil in it, and they can run on dirt gas (regardless of the fact that the manual says use premium). Basically, if you plan to buy an RX-8 do your research, as the car will last forever as long as you don't do things that to the rotary world are stupid, but to the commoner are perfectly normal (like synthetic oil, you will blow up your motor if you put synthetic oil in a rotary). Also you should know that turbocharging (conservatively) can vastly improve not only the RX-8's performance but also it's fuel economy; inherently the rotary's have lots of compression loss at low RPM that yields terrible city gas mileage, turbocharging offsets the loss of compression and allows for a better fuel/air mixture at the low end resulting in less fuel being used and better gas mileage.

Edited by emajnthis

I'm ashamed to say I'm not much of a car person. When I was growing up we owned a car dealership and a garage for a time. Family car was a mustang. We also had Pinto. Only thing I can do is change a tire. Cars in my current price range are either compact, budget, used or all three. It is hard for me to research the latest cool cars when I know my current ride & those in the near future for me will be far from cool.

I was more into military hardware growing up than cars :lol:

If you can, try to get the MazdaSPEED3; my co-worker owns one and they're a great and fun to drive car. He got his for just above 20k (used), and it's not too bad on your insurance, comes with a direct injected 2.3L Turbo and Intercooled I4, pulls some really good times and has excellent capabilities, not to mention it's a hatchback with tons of room.

Hey, not bad for just under $23K, new, and you get a turbocharger. I hear Mazda has come a long way since the '80s and '90s, but I haven't owned one, so I'm unable to attest to the new Mazdas' reliability.

Mazda3 $22,800

Edited by Wicked Ace

Hey, not bad for just under $23K, new.

Mazda3 review

believe me, they're worth every penny; just line them up to anything in (and even above) it's class, and you'll quickly realize you're getting an awesome deal. I drove my co workers for an afternoon and freakin loved it; if i wasn't hell bent on getting an RX-8 sometime soon, i would definitely purchase the speed3.

believe me, they're worth every penny; just line them up to anything in (and even above) it's class, and you'll quickly realize you're getting an awesome deal. I drove my co workers for an afternoon and freakin loved it; if i wasn't hell bent on getting an RX-8 sometime soon, i would definitely purchase the speed3.

I'd like the RX-8 alot better if I didn't know what an RX-7 was. ;)

I'd like the RX-8 alot better if I didn't know what an RX-7 was. ;)

I know what you mean, there's such a stigma about the RX series due to the old 13B motor. Fortunately that has since been resolved, but since Mazda didn't turbo charge the RX-8 people end up dumping them because they get crappy gas mileage and have no HP, something a small turbo would've resolved for both problems.

I know what you mean, there's such a stigma about the RX series due to the old 13B motor. Fortunately that has since been resolved, but since Mazda didn't turbo charge the RX-8 people end up dumping them because they get crappy gas mileage and have no HP, something a small turbo would've resolved for both problems.

If Mazda released the RX-8 turbocharged from the factory, it would certainly have my attention. On a side note, a friend of mine had a Mazdaspeed Protege for a short time -- I only drove it once, but it was fun with the little extra boost my friend had.

Edited by Wicked Ace

People mistakenly assume the RX-8 was supposed to be the successor to the RX-7, which it obviously wasn't. Much in the same way the earlier RX series (the RX-100, RX-2, RX-3) were different from the RX-7.

it obviously wasn't a successor to the RX-7 by any means, but either way, the vehicle was underpowered and the rotary design is made vastly more efficient with a turbocharger. The only thing that would offset the compression loss (without the use of a turbocharger) is to have larger displacement, but the development costs of a new rotary wouldn't have gone well with Ford especially since they just perfected the design flaws with the 13B in development of the Renesis. Rumor has it that Mazda is supposed to develop a 2.0L Rotary for a new gen RX-7, if that is truly the case, then this will be one of the best motors ever. Compression loss issues will be resolved since there will be a larger compression chamber, the added displacement will do wonders for horsepower, and the fuel consumption will remain the same or better than the outgoing model.

Edited by emajnthis