WOOT! I finally beat the game... I didn't just dive into the main quest though as the game would be too short with that alone. I think I spent a good 60 hours on my first play through and I didn't even discover everything yet before maxing out my character I chose the neutral path but Ultimately choose to have a good ending rather then a bad one...

The ending is pretty cool as it shows everything you have done throughout the game and the narrator give a commentary about the actions you took and who you were as a character throughout the game.

Overall I'm really satisfied even on my first play-through! I don't think im gonna play this game again anytime soon as it takes so much time and effort to find different things to do and play it over again but the ending climax is satisfying indeed. I won't go into details though as that will spoil things for everyone that hasn't beaten the game yet.

So I've been playing since release and overall I like the game. It's still more or less Oblivion with guns, but it works and Bethesda did a great job getting the feel of the Fallout universe. Has bits of that Fallout humor we've all come to love and though it is not a perfect game, I find Fallout 3 to be a worthy addition to the franchise. One thing that really bugs me is how head shots result in a decapitation 90% of the time. I would have liked to see heads exploding or just some more variation in the deaths. The Railroad Gun spiking head to the wall is pretty neat though. I'm at Level 14 doing mostly side quests, I just met Three Dog and got his quest to go to the Museum of Technology.

One thing that really bugs me is how head shots result in a decapitation 90% of the time. I would have liked to see heads exploding or just some more variation in the deaths.

You must be using different guns than me, because I explode heads all the time. Get a combat shotgun.

Edited by Ginrai

You must be using different guns than me, because I explode heads all the time. Get a combat shotgun.

Or just invest in the lovely "bloody mess" perk, that way you'll not only do 5% more damage, but you'll be blowing off legs and arms (?) in addition to heads with your headshots. The Combat shotgun is pretty good for popped tops as well.

Edited by QuinJester

Lol I finished the game... pretty short and too bad there's no option to continue after the end...

I have to play this game in a different way in order to play other missions I left out unintendidly.

But in overal... this game is screaming out Mospeada waisteland and similar characters in a way.

Lol I finished the game... pretty short and too bad there's no option to continue after the end...

I have to play this game in a different way in order to play other missions I left out unintendidly.

But in overal... this game is screaming out Mospeada waisteland and similar characters in a way.

Short? Did you stick to the main quest or something? I've been playing for over a week now, and I'm not even 100% sure what the main quest is. I guess I'm supposed to be looking for my dad or something? Guess I'd rather look for bobbleheads.

Short? Did you stick to the main quest or something? I've been playing for over a week now, and I'm not even 100% sure what the main quest is. I guess I'm supposed to be looking for my dad or something? Guess I'd rather look for bobbleheads.

Yup, looking for dad and

help / activate the purifier when you eventually die as a hero... the other character who's radioactive resistant... refuses to go inside the activation chamber...thats stupid.

Took me about 30hrs with difficulty normal.

Edited by Kin

It works for the story though (provided that you're playing as a good guy/gal),

you die a hero to save the wasteland, pretty much most of the main quests are about you bringing hope to the innocent survivors.

Anybody leave GNR in the background while playing? I find myself singing "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire".

It works for the story though (provided that you're playing as a good guy/gal),

you die a hero to save the wasteland, pretty much most of the main quests are about you bringing hope to the innocent survivors.

Anybody leave GNR in the background while playing? I find myself singing "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire".

I find myself humming "Bongo,Bongo, Bongo", I don't wanna Leave the Congo, a lot.

Yup, looking for dad and

help / activate the purifier when you eventually die as a hero... the other character who's radioactive resistant... refuses to go inside the activation chamber...thats stupid.

Took me about 30hrs with difficulty normal.

Dude, this game is all about not playing the main quest and playing all the side quests 1st. And don't just trust the HUD indicator for finding locations. There are a lot of neat things that do not have actual markers, like the crashed alien space ship.

I do....so much so that I memorised all the song's lyrics. :rolleyes:

Today i was listening to another song on a jazz album which had the starting notes to I Don't Want to Set The World On Fire, but its not the same song. :wacko:

Dude, this game is all about not playing the main quest and playing all the side quests 1st. And don't just trust the HUD indicator for finding locations. There are a lot of neat things that do not have actual markers, like the crashed alien space ship.

Where exactly is that thing? I roamed about the mid nothern section but didn't find it... :unsure:

EDIT: Found it! :D

Edited by Tober

I found the UFO yesterday too and got my Alien Blaster. Limited ammo there but its my most powerful gun in the game for now.

There's some clipping bug where the alien blaster and ammo cells on the under the alien sink into the ground and you can't find or pick it up. Make sure you have a save game when you are near the area. The 1st time i got there the alien blaster was missing and already sinked into the ground. <_<. A quick load solved that problem.

Where?

I'm at 13, now... maybe a third of the way to 14. I know there's more stuff to find in the Wasteland, but it's been awhile since anyone gave me a quest. I'm actually contemplating looking for dad...

Pipboy Map Where the triangle is.

You can see it there behind the house. You know you are getting

warm when the rads start kicking in.

Edited by Tober

After getting the T-51B power armour, I've collected all the power armours available in the game. I feel they nerfed the armours so much that they aren't really worth using anymore. (Not that the game isn't too easy after level 20 anyway). Its illogical that the Str bonus is not carried to all variants of the power armour. The Enclave power armour is supposedly better than the BoS ones but it only has a lower STR and AGI bonus/penalty despite the BoS calling them "Oh they are soooo advanced than our own". In FO2, i believe the APOs were +4 to STR. <_<

The T-51B was disappointing since it only gave you RAD protection and a high DR....but no STR bonuses nor AGI Penalties. Thus, the best armours in the game for me are the Tesla Armour and the Ranger Combat Armour. I don't see any use for any other type of power armour. The medic one was amusing but not that practical.

After getting the T-51B power armour, I've collected all the power armours available in the game. I feel they nerfed the armours so much that they aren't really worth using anymore. (Not that the game isn't too easy after level 20 anyway). Its illogical that the Str bonus is not carried to all variants of the power armour. The Enclave power armour is supposedly better than the BoS ones but it only has a lower STR and AGI bonus/penalty despite the BoS calling them "Oh they are soooo advanced than our own". In FO2, i believe the APOs were +4 to STR. <_<

The T-51B was disappointing since it only gave you RAD protection and a high DR....but no STR bonuses nor AGI Penalties. Thus, the best armours in the game for me are the Tesla Armour and the Ranger Combat Armour. I don't see any use for any other type of power armour. The medic one was amusing but not that practical.

You feel that they nerfed the power armor? lol IMO the power armor is stronger than it should be! I was playing the game on hard mode near the end of my quest when I got the BOS armor and I was still able to take alot of hits!

I dunno I guess since im so used to oblivion and how to level your character the game seemed a bit too easy for me in general... Although you can change the difficulty lvl anytime you want... My next playthrough will be on hard mode from the start IMO the power armor is good enough the way it is... the DR gives better hit protection and the power armors have some of the highest that all that counts really... but if you like using alot of plasma and energy weps then the tesla armor is the best you can get...

You feel that they nerfed the power armor? lol IMO the power armor is stronger than it should be! I was playing the game on hard mode near the end of my quest when I got the BOS armor and I was still able to take alot of hits!

I dunno I guess since im so used to oblivion and how to level your character the game seemed a bit too easy for me in general... Although you can change the difficulty lvl anytime you want... My next playthrough will be on hard mode from the start IMO the power armor is good enough the way it is... the DR gives better hit protection and the power armors have some of the highest that all that counts really... but if you like using alot of plasma and energy weps then the tesla armor is the best you can get...

High DRs is poo poo for me. Cuz i don't normally get hit. I'm a sneak and snipe character and rare get fired back upon. The nerf is the stats the armour adds to you which non-BOS armours seem to have more of. Enclave armour VS BoS Armour also kinda dodgy cuz the difference is only on the STR/AGI bonus/penalty despite the Enclave supposedly BETTER than the BoS one.

hmmm... fallout3 world is a bit small..

I got used to travel village to village in oblivion.

Thirst I thought Megaton was just one of the many wasteland villages.

I don't really feel that the playing field is small. I mean, while Fallout 1 and 2 took place on the western coast, there really wasn't a whole lot between villages. You could stop and rest, but it would be pretty much the same spot loaded from memory...

Played and beat Fallout 3. Now I'm playing as a pure evil character. I have to say, there's some advantages to just outright shooting the travelling caravans...

IGN article on FO3

Fallout 3 DLC Revealed

Operation: Anchorage heads the pack in January for 360 and PC.

by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, November 25, 2008 - Details of the first downloadable content for Bethesda's Fallout 3 have emerged from the vault, with Operation: Anchorage heading the batch for Xbox 360 and PC in January.

The PC will also be getting an official editor for the game in December, appropriately titled G.E.C.K (Garden of Eden Creation Kit). Fallout 3's game director Todd Howard said of the editor, "We've always seen the original world of Fallout 3 as a foundation for even more content. Some created by us, and a lot more created by users. It's fun to create your own character, but it can be equally fun to create your own adventures. We can't wait to see what the community does with the G.E.C.K."

Operation: Anchorage, a simulation of the liberation of the Alaskan city from Chinese communists, is the first of the downloadable episodes. Exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC, it will be followed by two further instalments; The Pitt, taking place in a raider town in Pittsburgh and due in February, followed in March by Broken Steel, which extends the main quest and takes up the story of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Price points have yet to be announced for any of the content.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this guy near Ranger's Outpost.

Got someone trapped a small alley don't let anyone pass. He threaten to blow everyone up if someone passes or leaves the alley. So with my sexy body, i got someone else to walk the alley for me.

mini-ScreenShot25bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot26bmp.jpg

The aftermath was spetacular.....

mini-ScreenShot27bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot28bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot29bmp.jpg

Poor sap......

mini-ScreenShot30bmp.jpg

The Pittsburgh stuff is the stuff that interests me the most, since I live about 30-45 minutes east of Pittsburgh (depending on Parkway traffic... you people with more than one major road in and out of your city don't know how good you got it...).

Been playing it constantly for a good two or three weeks now. Absolutely love it. I'm a sucker for exploration, and I still haven't been to all the areas on the map, even though I got the explorer perk a while ago. Not to mention all the little places that don't get listed on the map, and all the characters you randomly run across, like Uncle Leo. There really needs to be more games like this. It's like everything I liked about the GTA series, without the obnoxious parts.

I do wish that the NPCs were more than dead-eyed mannequins. There's some decent voice actors, but that Oblivion-like way of handling character conversation, combined with the complete and utter lack of facial expressions or body language really kill any immersion as far as interacting with the NPCs go. Also, I wish they reacted more to things that happened. An important character in a town dies, and the biggest change is that everyone else in town starts referring to them in the past tense.

Also, they really should have better balanced the way you level up in the game. I hit the level cap with more than half the game left in front of me. I understand why there's a level cap, I understand they didn't want someone to end the game completely god-like with all the perks and all their skills maxed out, but come on! Hitting the cap with more than half the game ahead of me? Maybe if you leveled up a bit more slowly, and they let you level a bit higher? I dunno. Gotta be a better balance though.

Still, I'd love to see more games where there was just so much to explore. Also really wish someone would port the first two games to the DS. And totally looking forward to The Pitt expansion. I lived in Pittsburgh for years, and spent much of that time wishing I could see it burnt to the ground. Heh. I wonder how similar the city layout will be? Probably not so similar, given the differences between real DC and Fallout 3's DC. Would be great if game companies, when using real world locations, would stick more to the real layout of the place they're recreating. Bet a lot more people would be a lot more familiar with geography if they did.

I do wish that the NPCs were more than dead-eyed mannequins. There's some decent voice actors, but that Oblivion-like way of handling character conversation, combined with the complete and utter lack of facial expressions or body language really kill any immersion as far as interacting with the NPCs go. Also, I wish they reacted more to things that happened. An important character in a town dies, and the biggest change is that everyone else in town starts referring to them in the past tense.

That is what worried me the most about Bethesda getting fallout. They tend to have boring NPCs. While the original fallout was just little sprites you looked at from the top down, with the really major NPC's given full facial animations, the richness of some of the NPC's back stories was really nice, and the fact that you could just randomly run into someone they knew in the wasteland, and have their back story expanded was a nice touch in the original games.

Bethesda really needs to fire their animators and get new ones. Honestly, when you look at the quality of the character animation in most other games (for example HL2 which is a far older game) its flat out embarrassing. The way the facial and body textures don't match up is also jarring. I feel so immersed in the world until I have to look at the facial animation of characters when conversing with them.

Those two things aside its good to have the fallout universe back in game form, and I think Bethesda did a darn good job, I just hope they address these two issues in patches, expansions and the inevitable fallout 4.

Edited by GobotFool

I've been playing FO3 since it came out, and I'm just now getting to the main quest (well, after I find a few bobbleheads). I'm really impressed with how much I love the game, given that I've never played any of the previous Fallout games, and I didn't like Oblivion.

I completed the game yesterday with 95% of every possible good karma quest done i think. I didn't find Agatha though i did get the violin. :lol:

I clocked about 70 hours into this game. I probably got the level cap at 30 hours. You can imagine how much more places i could explore despite already reaching the level cap. Exploring was fun but only after you've seen every abandoned vault and derelict building there is to see. You get kinda tired after crawilng in one dungeon vault too many.

Also I realised the array of weapons available to you is quite limited considering the old Fallout games. No gauss rifle. No laser sniper rifle. Boo. In the whole game, there are only 2 behemoths. One at GNR which is part of the main quest and one at Evergreen Mills which you won't need to fight. Kinda disappointing. I thought you'd get to see Liberty Prime duke with one.

The Enclave are a pushover. Power armour is underrated in this game. I had a harder time with Sentinel Robots, Giant Radscorpions and Deathclaws but those are pushovers as well. There's no sense of "danger" when you encounter any enemies after your level cap. Perhaps the powerful enemies came out too late or I leveled up too early. Also a lack of variety in enemies made it boring as you blast the 400th super mutant.

Ending was.....meh. Seriously. No big final boss for you to battle. Just a close-to-cinematic-sequence of you

following behind Liberty Prime as he lays waste on the Enclave

. The final ending variability is only limited to a few decisions you make.

Overall i was disappointed the minute i ended the game. It made me go "That's it?" No doubt the game felt great the minute you play it. But after you max your level out....i think it starts going downhill from there. If it means anything, my replay of Fallout 3 will not come probably unless i have nothing to do. I don't feel the need to replay it just yet, unlike the times i played FO 1 and 2.

Edited by wolfx

In the whole game, there are only 2 behemoths. One at GNR which is part of the main quest and one at Evergreen Mills which you won't need to fight. Kinda disappointing.

I fought one in the Captial Building rotunda. I believe there may be one or two more out there, too.

...considering the old Fallout games.

I don't feel the need to replay it just yet, unlike the times i played FO 1 and 2.

Although I haven't beat the game yet, I'm starting to think that I'm glad that my perceptions of it aren't colored by the previous Fallout games.

For me, I knew about as much about life in the Wasteland as the character I was controlling. Actually, the game does a really good job in that sense... you start off as a naive vault dweller, then over time I became seasoned to the word as my character did.

I guess Bethesda was hoping for a wider audience than just the fans of the previous Fallout games. In that sense, the level cap doesn't seem as broken as some of you think. Yeah, if you try to see EVERYTHING in one run, you're going to get bored, and you're going to hit the level cap long before you're done. And it might have been an oversight on the developer's fault that they didn't expect more people would do just that, but I think they were expecting players to do less in one run and replay it a few times. Played like that, perhaps you'd hit the cap closer to the end of the main quest, and you'd still have plenty to see in future playthroughs.