Superficial stuff like that doesn't bother me. Althought ME deserves lots of credit for it. (pushing new systems and presenting things like that in a far more interesting way than other games have before)

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-rev...ect-56046.phtml

• Mass Effect is not a revolutionary RPG -- hell, it's not even particularly innovative. It isn't a sprawling 40-hour epic, it doesn't include particularly great action, and it won't change the way we handle dialogue trees in role-playing games.

• Be ready to spend the first three to four hours of the game cursing the developers for implementing such an oddly paced, seemingly-complex fighting system with almost no tutorial.

• The cover system is totally automatic (a la Kane and Lynch, where it didn't work either.)

• The button mapping makes no sense.

• In fact, nearly everything, from the menu system to the combat to the godawful Mako driving levels, are thrown at the player without any explanation or help.

• Mass Effect's texture pops are so frequent and noticeable that you'd think you were playing a beta rather than a finished product.

• The dialogue scenes are one of the best parts of the game, but it can be difficult to emotionally connect yourself to a character when they seem to be, you know, missing half their face for the first few seconds of your conversation.

• BioWare was flat-out lying about some of its aspects (of the conversation system.)

• BioWare still failed to deliver on their promise for an innovative, interactive new approach to NPC conversation.

• Mass Effect is hilariously short, for an RPG. I completed about 75% of the sidequests in the game, and I still finished the main storyline in less than 16 hours.

• Mass Effect is a good game which will disappoint nearly everyone who plays it.

Score: 7.0 - Rent

I used to like their old baldur's gate games. I wish they focused on pc rpgs like those instead of on the console game crowd that likes movies and stuff. (ie final fantasy CG rpgs that play themselves instead of you controlling things, or metal gear solid type interruptions) I liked KOTOR though but not martials arts rpg they did.

I also hate that the Baldur's gate games on console were diablo-style action rpg games. Now excuse me while I go and play old school rpgs like Etrian odyssey on nintendoDS where I can live in the past when rpgs all had the least impressive graphics and the story or characters weren't all that important yet we all didn't care because they were still games not soaps.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Definitely not excited. What I eagerly anticipate are the reviews; they could very well be more fun than the game. Though in all honesty, I am hoping for a good game, I just don't think it's going to happen :)

I was watching one of the video previews a while back and my heart was broken because it looked exactly like Oblivion in a post apocalyptic setting, they even used the same crappy voice actors for the background. And I really have to ask, why does Bethesda consistently drop the ball on character animation?

Umm you do realize that the characters do talk while text is shown when you talk to characters right? Thats how it was done in oblivion and oblivion is a great game! Infact its the best RPG I have played in a long time because its not totally linear like mass effect or any JRPGS that have come out this year... The free roaming gameplay in fallout and oblivion are what make them great games because you can carve your own path.

I can see why many ppl might not like oblivion though... its a very western style RPG and its doesn't guide you or hold your hand in the beginning so its kinda tough finding out what to do and where to go... But if you put forth the effort to explore the game and have patience with it, you are greatly rewarded.

I'm moderately excited about this game, it's always fun to run around killing radiated humans in a post nuclear America. One question though will this be heavy on the RPG side of the game or have a good balance between fighting and rpg (like system shock 2)?

Edited by dizman

I can see why many ppl might not like oblivion though... its a very western style RPG and its doesn't guide you or hold your hand in the beginning so its kinda tough finding out what to do and where to go... But if you put forth the effort to explore the game and have patience with it, you are greatly rewarded.

all the things my friends found boring about having to find out what to do and where to go are things I look for in an open world rpg.

In a way it's like the split between the fans of old GTA games (lots of things to do - you make your fun in an open playground to fool around in) versus the new GTA (starting from 4 where the player is 'directed' to do things and presented a more polished experience like an on-rails ride in a theme park but with nothing to do.)

I'm a fan of the former. Having played all the old pc rpgs like ultima, bards tale, dungeoun master, wizardry, eye of the beholder. I want my games to be nerdy games with worlds, not story driven tv shows. I see a great split between the guys who work in the games industry who wish they were movie directors (hideo kojima for eg) working in the movie industry, and actual game developers who make games for their fans and understand the game because they make the type of games they would want to play.

As I get older I tend to shy away from games that are too heavily directed or where there is limited emergent behaviour for things to just happen as they do due to natural laws vs happening because of trigger events based on your prgress within a story. The former games have the right idea about what a true open world game should be. I'm not saying the central character in an epic doesn't need to be someone you care for, just that as a player who plays a game I detach myself from the characters I play as and would prefer to create my own characters.

As an example the character customisation in Saint's Row games allows players to really create something more to their liking if they hate the default character. In oblivion certain races are going to have certain advantage as they should. When you play the game, you are going to have to react a bit different from another character when put in the the same situations. Your character is very much tied to the gameplay itself. Not cosmetic or superficial things. An argonian will swim faster, cat people are supposed to be agile and better climbers, other races have better voices and charisma so command better respect etc This is what I remember RPGs were back in the days when the things you wore, the race you chose, the weapons you used made gameplay difference and weren't merely looking visually different or only about about being stronger and weaker. Some weapons were superior for close range, others were better for doing large chunks of damage in slow and heavy attacks for larger and slower monsters, and based on what you wore it would have different effect on how you would fight: dude without armor could freely run faster get into position earlier to swing his heavy sword to get the first hit but would take more damage if the monster if he didn't kill it faster than the monster could attack, while a guy weighed down in armour took ages to get into position, had less accuracy due to the restriction in movement from armour, but could block attacks much better to defend anyone.

When games think about the game more, and allow the player to imagine themselves in the world of the game instead of only let us players take control of a pre-existing guy then I tend to feel more comfortable because it reminds me of the older rpgs where story didn't dictate where you could go or be at any one time and instead allowed you to prepare in advance before each quest based on your unique situation and character choices.

Stories are important for making you care, but at the end of the day after hours of play what matters is the game the most. Players can focus on the 'role' in role play and react the way they should based on given natural laws. I would much rather play a game with a crap story but fun system, than one where the story drives you to play the game but when you play it, worlds have nothing interesting to do in them because all the focus is on what part of the story you are up to.

That's why I reckon those who are sick of the polished mainstream JRPG (driven by the event triggers which are out of your control) should play games like Etrian Odyssey because these games are like what you remember from the old pc rpg days. They will never get rave reviews or the type of hype promised by bioware (but didn't deliver) in Mass Effect or Fable, which makes reviewers pee their pants. But they are long and slow-paced, story is second to the game, you are essentially thinking about the things you must do more than liking characters. These are all the things that my friends find boring but which I love!

As games get more cinematic and more money is spent on acting and stuff, lots of that focus will be spent on those things to make the game stand out from other games in its genre. But ask yourself the question: Does that mean the game is necessarily more fun to 'play'. This is why it's so hard for others to understand that sometimes games that have worse production values can still be a heck of a lot more fun to play than ones that break the mold, deliver better presentation, have superior acting etc in them. If the bulk of your enjoyment comes from treating a game as an experience (like a ride at theme park) then you will like and appreciate those individual things that make the game stand out so much. But if you;re a believer in: "the whole is more than the sum of its parts" and play rpgs more for the "game that is inside the story" then you will go for the purists rpg where the player is the insignificant PC who is just one of many people who has to make a name for himself based on player skills and his actions. Your success is yours coming out of your own player skill and not due to the character in the story. If you were a retarded fat guy with high luck and who avoided dying because he made wise choices, and still manage to win the game and save everyone, then that is because you the player used all your hard work and skill and knowledge to guide him to get that far, not because the character was so important to the grand scheme of things according to the writers of the story. :p Who cares if you care about the character and if he deserves to be loved?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I really enjoyed Fallout Tactics, anybody else like it??

Taksraven

I did. Some didn't like it....not sure why. To me its sorta like X-COM in fallout.

I'm moderately excited about this game, it's always fun to run around killing radiated humans in a post nuclear America.

I heard you can't kill children anymore. :(

all the things my friends found boring about having to find out what to do and where to go are things I look for in an open world rpg.

In a way it's like the split between the fans of old GTA games (lots of things to do - you make your fun in an open playground to fool around in) versus the new GTA (starting from 4 where the player is 'directed' to do things and presented a more polished experience like an on-rails ride in a theme park but with nothing to do.)

I'm a fan of the former. Having played all the old pc rpgs like ultima, bards tale, dungeoun master, wizardry, eye of the beholder. I want my games to be nerdy games with worlds, not story driven tv shows. I see a great split between the guys who work in the games industry who wish they were movie directors (hideo kojima for eg) working in the movie industry, and actual game developers who make games for their fans and understand the game because they make the type of games they would want to play.

As I get older I tend to shy away from games that are too heavily directed or where there is limited emergent behaviour for things to just happen as they do due to natural laws vs happening because of trigger events based on your prgress within a story. The former games have the right idea about what a true open world game should be. I'm not saying the central character in an epic doesn't need to be someone you care for, just that as a player who plays a game I detach myself from the characters I play as and would prefer to create my own characters.

As an example the character customisation in Saint's Row games allows players to really create something more to their liking if they hate the default character. In oblivion certain races are going to have certain advantage as they should. When you play the game, you are going to have to react a bit different from another character when put in the the same situations. Your character is very much tied to the gameplay itself. Not cosmetic or superficial things. An argonian will swim faster, cat people are supposed to be agile and better climbers, other races have better voices and charisma so command better respect etc This is what I remember RPGs were back in the days when the things you wore, the race you chose, the weapons you used made gameplay difference and weren't merely looking visually different or only about about being stronger and weaker. Some weapons were superior for close range, others were better for doing large chunks of damage in slow and heavy attacks for larger and slower monsters, and based on what you wore it would have different effect on how you would fight: dude without armor could freely run faster get into position earlier to swing his heavy sword to get the first hit but would take more damage if the monster if he didn't kill it faster than the monster could attack, while a guy weighed down in armour took ages to get into position, had less accuracy due to the restriction in movement from armour, but could block attacks much better to defend anyone.

When games think about the game more, and allow the player to imagine themselves in the world of the game instead of only let us players take control of a pre-existing guy then I tend to feel more comfortable because it reminds me of the older rpgs where story didn't dictate where you could go or be at any one time and instead allowed you to prepare in advance before each quest based on your unique situation and character choices.

Stories are important for making you care, but at the end of the day after hours of play what matters is the game the most. Players can focus on the 'role' in role play and react the way they should based on given natural laws. I would much rather play a game with a crap story but fun system, than one where the story drives you to play the game but when you play it, worlds have nothing interesting to do in them because all the focus is on what part of the story you are up to.

That's why I reckon those who are sick of the polished mainstream JRPG (driven by the event triggers which are out of your control) should play games like Etrian Odyssey because these games are like what you remember from the old pc rpg days. They will never get rave reviews or the type of hype promised by bioware (but didn't deliver) in Mass Effect or Fable, which makes reviewers pee their pants. But they are long and slow-paced, story is second to the game, you are essentially thinking about the things you must do more than liking characters. These are all the things that my friends find boring but which I love!

As games get more cinematic and more money is spent on acting and stuff, lots of that focus will be spent on those things to make the game stand out from other games in its genre. But ask yourself the question: Does that mean the game is necessarily more fun to 'play'. This is why it's so hard for others to understand that sometimes games that have worse production values can still be a heck of a lot more fun to play than ones that break the mold, deliver better presentation, have superior acting etc in them. If the bulk of your enjoyment comes from treating a game as an experience (like a ride at theme park) then you will like and appreciate those individual things that make the game stand out so much. But if you;re a believer in: "the whole is more than the sum of its parts" and play rpgs more for the "game that is inside the story" then you will go for the purists rpg where the player is the insignificant PC who is just one of many people who has to make a name for himself based on player skills and his actions. Your success is yours coming out of your own player skill and not due to the character in the story. If you were a retarded fat guy with high luck and who avoided dying because he made wise choices, and still manage to win the game and save everyone, then that is because you the player used all your hard work and skill and knowledge to guide him to get that far, not because the character was so important to the grand scheme of things according to the writers of the story. :p Who cares if you care about the character and if he deserves to be loved?

Good post, but it needed to be a *LOT* longer.

Taksraven

I'm not trying to say that Mass Effect was perfect, noo by any stretch. All I meant to say is that the conversation system, where the interactive discussions are animated, is far superior (in my mind) to the simple text-based entry presented here.

I had a student two years ago called Cory Holmes but I don't think that you are him. He became a real JD.

Taksraven

I had a student two years ago called Cory Holmes but I don't think that you are him. He became a real JD.

Taksraven

What's a JD?

and when I talk about the Mass Effect conversation system, I'm referring to how your PC is animated and interactive. Unlike KoToR or other RPGs where all you select is a block of text for your character to say.

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing Fallout 3. Its pretty fun. I've decided to play a seductress sharpshooting thief for my 1s time round. Me and alot of other ppl on the net are having trouble with memory leaks in the game when the game will suddenly hang when a checkpoint is reached IE: quest begins/ends or entering/exiting an area. It happens randomly and getting abit annoying especially if you don't save often. Made it to Megaton and decided to call it a night.

Started playing Fallout 3. Its pretty fun. I've decided to play a seductress sharpshooting thief for my 1s time round. Me and alot of other ppl on the net are having trouble with memory leaks in the game when the game will suddenly hang when a checkpoint is reached IE: quest begins/ends or entering/exiting an area. It happens randomly and getting abit annoying especially if you don't save often. Made it to Megaton and decided to call it a night.

Well if your playing on the PS3 version it is known to have that problem... I got the 360 version because of that fact... NE way I think this is a great game and even if you didn't like oblivion I think this game would be good for newcomers also because the gameplay is a bit simpler than oblivion and the leveling system is more refined.

Well if your playing on the PS3 version it is known to have that problem... I got the 360 version because of that fact... NE way I think this is a great game and even if you didn't like oblivion I think this game would be good for newcomers also because the gameplay is a bit simpler than oblivion and the leveling system is more refined.

I got myself the PC version. That said the game definately feels like a console port...which i think that's what most games are these days. :rolleyes:

So far the game is just ok to me, the only thing I truly love about it is the story and the setting. Everything in that aspect was pulled off perfectly. Oh and I bought the PS3 version, suprise suprise I had a problem at the very beginning with the goat test. I looked up the solution on the fallout website and since then everythings been running pretty smoothly.

Edited by dizman

I'm abit pissed off now cuz the game keeps hanging on me, and no patch is released yet. Wtf bethesa. Sigh. I'm still stuck in Megaton doing the quests. Sigh.

Are you sure you have enough ram? the minimum requirements is at least 2GB... a good sound card and a beefy video card might help too... Not many ppl are complaining about the PC version... You might wanna take a look at your setup and see if there is any software that is interfering with your game.

I'm abit pissed off now cuz the game keeps hanging on me, and no patch is released yet. Wtf bethesa. Sigh. I'm still stuck in Megaton doing the quests. Sigh.

Does it keep freezing up in V.A.T.S? That is when the game crashes on me the most.

So far I'm really enjoying the game. Though, I really miss all the hilarious descriptions of individual items in the inventory menu. Bethesda spent all that time writing those books for Oblivion, you'd think they could have spent the time to recreate the hilarious descriptions the pip boy gave in fallout 1 and 2 for one's inventory items. I also miss the text box, while the gore has been pumped up, one of the best parts in the old game was the silly descriptions of the gore given in that little text box. Oh well.

If I had one serious complaint it would have to be that , while enough of the game mechanics of fallout 1 and 2 have carried over, it still feels like a fallout mod for Oblivion,albeit a super high-quality one. (it'll be interesting to see if V.A.T.S finds its way into future Elder Scrolls Games. Still the best part about fallout was the world, and it is really nice to see it represented in full 3d glory. I just hope that by the time fallout 4 roles around that they will do more to distinguish its gameplay dynamics from Oblivion, and please bring back all the hilarious text commentary.

Edited by GobotFool

Does it keep freezing up in V.A.T.S? That is when the game crashes on me the most.

So far I'm really enjoying the game. Though, I really miss all the hilarious descriptions of individual items in the inventory menu. Bethesda spent all that time writing those books for Oblivion, you'd think they could have spent the time to recreate the hilarious descriptions the pip boy gave in fallout 1 and 2 for one's inventory items. I also miss the text box, while the gore has been pumped up, one of the best parts in the old game was the silly descriptions of the gore given in that little text box. Oh well.

If I had one serious complaint it would have to be that , while enough of the game mechanics of fallout 1 and 2 have carried over, it still feels like a fallout mod for Oblivion,albeit a super high-quality one. (it'll be interesting to see if V.A.T.S finds its way into future Elder Scrolls Games. Still the best part about fallout was the world, and it is really nice to see it represented in full 3d glory. I just hope that by the time fallout 4 roles around that they will do more to distinguish its gameplay dynamics from Oblivion, and please bring back all the hilarious text commentary.

I never really liked or played the 2 original games before this one... I heard they were good but most ppl didn't like the turn based strategy of the game. IMO it made the game waay to slow and boring. If they ever made it more like the first two again I think they would lose alot of fans because the majority of ppl playing 3 say that this is a better combat system.

The reason oblivion sold so well was because it wasn't a typical turn-based rpg and you had total control of a battle most of the time if you knew what you were doing and had enough skill to dodge and hit the enemy even if it was a few lvls ahead of you. IMO thats what sets these games apart from the typical JRPG.

I never really liked or played the 2 original games before this one... I heard they were good but most ppl didn't like the turn based strategy of the game. IMO it made the game waay to slow and boring. If they ever made it more like the first two again I think they would lose alot of fans because the majority of ppl playing 3 say that this is a better combat system.

The reason oblivion sold so well was because it wasn't a typical turn-based rpg and you had total control of a battle most of the time if you knew what you were doing and had enough skill to dodge and hit the enemy even if it was a few lvls ahead of you. IMO thats what sets these games apart from the typical JRPG.

I have not problem with V.A.T.S. I agree it is a superior combat system. I would just rather Fallout's combat system be geared more toward a 3rd person perspective rather than a 1st person shooter with emphasis on the use of the environment. (yes I know you can go 3rd person in Fallout 3) That combined with V.A.T.S would take fallout back to emphasis on combat tactics rather than twitch skills but also remove the really boring turn based element. Kind of like Gears of War but using V.A.T.S along side the really nice duck and cover combat mechanics of that game. I don't play fallout for the twitch action, I play it for the world, and its open ended RPG experience. For the most part Fallout 3 succeeds admirably. I'd mostly just liked to have seen it more biased toward a 3rd person gaming experience rather than a 1st person one, but with the option of course still left in for those who do prefer the 1st person perspective.

I beg to differ.

The gameplay and combat of the original Fallout games were great and were adored by the fans. When these were out in the late 90s, the Fallout games were considered among the best PC RPGs you could get. The turn-based play DID allow alot of control. Every turn you make a decision and series of actions. No different from a more real-time system, just done in another style.

If "most people" didn't like the turn-based play of Fallout enough, then nobody would ever remember this series and lament how long it has been to receive a sequel. Fallout Tactics came out sometime around 2000 or 2001, but it wasn't considered a "true" Fallout game. We had been clamoring for an RPG, not a FF Tactics ripoff.

Also, the reason Oblivion did so well was it was a damn good RPG overall, especially on a PC. It helped that the graphics were great, but the biggest draws were the open ended play and freedom of exploration. That is the bread and butter of the Elder Scroll series. Truly open worlds for exploration on RPGs are actually very uncommon, even today. Oblivion's predecessor, Morrowind from several years ago, had the same core aspects. Morrowind's predecessor, Daggerfall from the late 90s, had the same core aspects. Throughout each of "The Elder Scrolls" games, it has always been the same... open ended play and freedom of exploration. They were games that rewarded you for traveling off the beaten path. They all had essentially the same combat system. Each of these games were well received. There's nothing new Oblivion did for the Elder Scrolls series, but it wasn't as bug infested as the release versions of her predecessors, that's for sure!

Are you sure you have enough ram? the minimum requirements is at least 2GB... a good sound card and a beefy video card might help too... Not many ppl are complaining about the PC version... You might wanna take a look at your setup and see if there is any software that is interfering with your game.

Yeah i have a quad core with 2 gig ram running on vista with a nVidia 9800 GTX. The game loads really fast on mine on high performance settings. There's no slowdowns or whatever but it hangs randomly sometimes during receiving quests, sometimes during combat.....and seems ppl on the net are experiencing this either, so is my friend. I don't think its isolated just to me.

I beg to differ.

The gameplay and combat of the original Fallout games were great and were adored by the fans. When these were out in the late 90s, the Fallout games were considered among the best PC RPGs you could get. The turn-based play DID allow alot of control. Every turn you make a decision and series of actions. No different from a more real-time system, just done in another style.

If "most people" didn't like the turn-based play of Fallout enough, then nobody would ever remember this series and lament how long it has been to receive a sequel. Fallout Tactics came out sometime around 2000 or 2001, but it wasn't considered a "true" Fallout game. We had been clamoring for an RPG, not a FF Tactics ripoff.

Agreed. I actually missed the original Fallout system as it kinda gives you more depth. I also miss the illustrations and descriptions of items in the pipboy like Gobotfool's irk. One strange thing about the Megaton Quest:

I can't stop Mr Burke from killing Simms.....and everytime i kill Burke, his son appears shortly to talk to me. He always dies even if i shot Burke before he draws his gun. Everyone in the bar is oblivious that I've killed someone in the bar. Kinda strange....but oh well.

:rolleyes:

I found a fix and i think the FFDSHOW is what causing the crashes on the PC version. I DID notice ffdshow audio showing up on my taskbar after i exited the crash....should've occured to me sooner. You will have to disable ffdshow from running when FO3 is running by excluding it. The link tells you how.

http://www.gamingnewslink.com/2008/10/29/f...llation-errors/

I played for a few minutes without problems.....will report later on the outcome after few hours of play.

Been playing through FO3 all night. It's addicting, wandering the wastelands. I think Bethesda really nailed the atmosphere here.

It really hit home that I was in a sobering postapocalyptic world when I came to the

Minefield for Moira's book and found skeletons embracing each other in bed or dead in the bathroom.

One thing that does break the atmosphere for me sometimes is I keep hearing Morrowind/Oblivion VAs and for a quick second think I'm back on Morrowind...

It's funny how the guys over at NMA are saying it's a fine, atmospheric game, but "it's not Fallout!" Almost as if they love it but just cannot bring themselves to admit it.

I beg to differ.

Generally agree, though I like really like the quick pace of the combat in FO3, but I want the tactical chess game feel back. Which is sort of why I suggested wears of war style 3rd person action mixed with a pause and think system like V.A.T.S.

I want to use the power amor but I cant

LOL same here. I was like !@*&(!@ hell i can use power armour!!But alas i need training to wear it. Boo. Decided maybe i should sell it and realised it costs as much as scrap since the condition is bad. Zzzz. So much for that.