Yamato: From YF-19 to Low-Vis VF-1A

Sephiroth

1062627704588_Yamato_YF_19___VF_1A_LV.jpg

After reviewing my eBay feedback, I noticed that it was 22 Aug 00 (three years ago today) when I purchased my very first Yamato "Macross Plus Mechanical Transformer," the 1/72 YF-19.

I remember when I first saw it on eBay as I was searching for Takatoku and Bandai 1/55 valkyries. I hadn't even seen the Macross Plus OVAs yet, but I knew this toy was different and that I had to have one...it was the insanely complex/unique design and the mention of diecast metal parts in the description that really drew me in. Well, I got one and promptly broke that damned "tab-B" among other parts before having to purchase a YF-19 v.2 from HLJ. I ended up trading my v.2 for a set of Bandai 1/55 Strike Armor...which I recently sold and used a part of the funds to purchase the YF-19 v.1 you see pictured above from Graham (thanks! :) ). I received it on the 21 Aug 03...spooky how things sometimes come full circle without you even realizing it.

Anyway, I just picked up my 1/48 Low-Vis VF-1A earlier this week...man, I'm still in awe of it. I set my two newly aquired items next to each other for display and I couldn't help but notice how much has changed since Yamato first went into the Macross business. I can only wonder what Yamato plans to release next year. You have to admit, despite all the Q/A and design flaws that seem to plague a lot of Yamato's releases, they are continually getting better, bigger, more detailed. The YF-19 v.1 got me hooked on Yamato...and even now, three years later, I'm still buying and will continue to buy more of their products. I don't even want to add up all the money Yamato has garnered from me :blink:.

Do you remember the first Yamato you got? What kind of effect did it have on you?

Edited by Sephiroth

The first Yamato I had was the YF 21. When I first saw Mac + I said to myself: Wow, these can't be done in toys, tranformation is too difficult. And on a great day, I saw this advertising...

In fact, these toys came one year later and their price was three times the one indicated on the advertising.

post-4-1061657425_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperOstrich

Great topic Sephiroth! My very first Yamato was a 1/60 1A Hikaru that I paid $125.00! dollars for! I had no idea these toys even existed and was blown away when I saw it in this little anime and comic shop in Alabama. Shamefully, I must admit at the timeI wondered why it had those strange "Hikaru Ichijo" and "Do You Remember Love?" markings on it! :blink: ...all with the Row-bow-tek and Lick Hunter monikers nowhere to be found! So, I started doing some research and found the original Macross and MW! This led to a frenzy of buying to get the original M+ toys that I missed and started my addiction to catch them all!

I have all of the Yamato Macross toy releases and I can honestly say they just keep getting better! Even the game recolor VF-19A was noticeably less floppy and much sturdier than my V1 YF-19. I was of course thrilled with the initial 1/60 VF-1 line...but then that even got better...from the addition of supers, strikes, tv paint schemes, accessories (pilots, improved gun pods,etc) even to the improvements in QC as the line progressed. Now Yamato suprises and delights me once again with the 1/48 line which gets better and better as we go along! I think it is terrific and Yamato has very much earned my respect!

So, to answer your question.....When I got my first Yamato , I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning! Here was the toy I had always wanted as a child and now I HAD IT! ...Felt the same way when I opened my first 1/48!

I'm hooked and I will continue to buy all the new Macross toys that Yamato can produce! Funny thing is, I once thought that nothing could be as great as opening that first 1/60 VF-1...Yamato has proven me wrong once...Here is hoping that they do it again and again! :wub:

I remember when I ordered my first Yammie from HLJ.com, at first I decided to wait a couple of months because prices were a bit too steep. When HLJ.com had their very first price cut I picked up the 1/60 VF-1A (Hikaru Ichijo). Fast foward three weeks (t'was my very first purchase from HLJ.com) and my package finally arrived. I opened up the box to find a Bandai 1/55 VF-1J........... :blink::ph34r: , I didn't feel like going through all the trouble of sending the Bandai back (to Japan). So, I decided to keep it for a short while......eventually I was able to sell it to a fellow Macrossworlder (that loved Bandai reissues).

Fast foward a couple of months (plus HLJ.com had ANOTHER Yammie price cut) and I finally picked up my first Yammies! There they were.....Max's VF-1A and Roy's VF-1S (in all their glory).

Fast foward two more years and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of MORE Yammie goodness. The highly anticipated 1/48 Fast Packs............

......my, my, my how time just flies right past us. :p

This board really needs to set a picture size limit on pictures. Now it's not just a matter of slow loading pages, it's a pain in the ass to read anything because it forces me to side scroll to get all the text. Or at least show a little curtesy and edit your frickin' pictures before you post them.

Geez... My first Yammie was the VF-11B. It survived several transformations from battroid to fighter till the hip joint went out :( Then I got my first VF-1 and I've been hooked on valks ever since. That 1st purchase also opened my eyes to everything Macross (that Robotech was a front to the real story and the alternate story lines- Mac II, Mac 7, etc)

1st Yamato (and almost my last) was the original YF-19. It suffered Tab-B breakage and now it's just a $40 piece of junk waiting to be used as spare parts for the rev 2 someday. I guess I loved Macross Plus more than I feared Yamato's QC back then. I must be one of the lucky ones whose VF-11B is still intact after numerous transformations.

Yamato revived the franchise and I give them credit for trying. But the honeymoon is long over for me :-/

1st Yamato (and almost my last) was the original YF-19. It suffered Tab-B breakage and now it's just a $40 piece of junk waiting to be used as spare parts for the rev 2 someday. I guess I loved Macross Plus more than I feared Yamato's QC back then. I must be one of the lucky ones whose VF-11B is still intact after numerous transformations.

Yamato revived the franchise and I give them credit for trying. But the honeymoon is long over for me :-/

I say the 1/48 line will resurrect the honeymoon. Ever since Yammato finally got smart and changed factories the QC issues (I have never really had any) have all but dissapeared. No rampant complaints bout the max or low viz. and personally while I know people have had problems with their 1/60th all my 1/60ths have been flawless toys. Anyway my 1st yammy was the QC prone YF 19, but I kept my faith with yamato not being able to stand the look of bandai chunky monkeys and have been in love ever since.

My first yamlie was the 2nd ed YF-19, then the YF-21 and the VF-11b .. still happy to play with them (even if they are long way from perfection)

anyway i'll continue bying yammies, when i 'ill have money lol.

i remember the 1st day i saw the YF-19 on HLJ ! i went crasy , i want it :) 1 month later...i had it :) and i was like a child :) i still have a special affection for this one (even if , for me, it's the baddest of the line, scuplture and finishing are very bad) :)

Edited by isamu_dyson

My first Yammie was a VF1S. I had just stumbled onto all the Valkyrie reissues...and after months of debate talked my wife into getting me a Bandai VF1J Hikaru ...it was all I needed...just one...then I saw the Yammie in anime shop in NYC. The salesmen let me hold it and said "The Bandai reissues are nice for toys...but the Yamato's are nicer....more accurate..." The rest of the words were lost...I was hooked...I bought it for $125 (same prob as you Melissa! )...it was all I needed....1 Bandai...and 1 Skull Leader...I was alll set.... Yep...about 50 Valks later I only shake my head!

I remember getting my VF-19A in the mail about a year or so ago. I yanked that thing out of the boss, defeated by the little (#@R% twist ties...

...thirty minutes later, I started transforming the thing incessently...

The first Yamatos I saw where the Mac+ ones advertised in Toyfare magazine under the Toycom label. I thought they looked like crap and wanted no part of them.

Time passes...

Reading another issue of Toyfare I saw pics of the Toynami MPC valkyries and Super Posables... this piqued my interest as now it seemed someone was thinking about releasing original macross toys. I read that they where going to be super limited and where going to go for $80 a pop. I said no thanks and moved on...

More time passes...

The second Yamatos I saw where the sunwards super VF-1 series, also advertised in Toyfare. These looked OK but not worth my time, again.

Then I happened to be on a business trip to LA (Santa Monica to be precise... Santa Monica Promenade to be more precise) and stopped in a collectable toy store and saw my first Yamato 1/60 in person. It was a 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A. It looked really neat and I wanted to buy it but the price they where asking was freaking outrageous in my mind then. So I passed.

Even more time passes...

Macross moves into the front of my mind again and I start doing searches for Macross Toys on the internet and I discover Valkyrie Exchange. From there I purchase my first (and to this day almost all) Yamatos. From VEX I find Macross World. The rest is history.

My first Yamato was the infamous YF-19 Version 1. Believe it or not she still has an intact “B-tab.” :o My next Yamato was the even more Infamous VF-11. I have 2 of these and both have suffered damaged hips. :( I have at least one of every Yamato issue since then, none of which have had any QC issues. I did damage my VF-19A by dropping it about 6ft and had it land on the canopy, which promptly broke. :angry:

My first Yamato was a VF-11. It was awesome. Then one day the Hip broke. He lives in a retirement home now. Then I bought the YF-21 and sold that because of the lame shoulder sliders. Then I got the VF-19A and loved that one. The biggest moment for me though was when the VF-1 finally came out. I had been a member of MW for a while and had read all of Grahams updates. I remember when the VF-1s were gonna be 1/72!

When I got my VF-1A Hikaru from Kevin @ Valkyrie-Exchange I had a blast. I must have played with that thing all day. He totally kicked Jetfires ass that day. LOL :lol:

My first yammie was a VF-1S Roy the beginning of last summer when HLJ did one of their 50% off sales. I opened it up and was hooked right away on how sweet it was. It took me forever to decide what mode to leave it in after I put the stickers on it. I eventually left it in Gerwalk for a while at first, the only valk on my desk at the time. I regretted not picking up some of the others back then. My next valk was a VF-19A I found at a local shop a couple of months later. The other valks were horrendously priced, he wanted a $120 for a VF-11B and $100 for a Hikaru 1A LOL. Somehow the 19 was 90 bucks. Knowing it was hard to find I snatched one, and loved it ever since. Now I spend so much, my family questons my sanity.

My first Yamato Valkyrie was the 1/48 Focker VF-1S... two of them. For years, I'd been hoping for Bandai to re-issue the 1/55 Valks, but then Yamato entered the fray with the very impressive 1/48 line. I passed on the Hikaru VF-1A and waited for Focker's ship. Now it sits in fighter mode on my shelf as a tribute to the great drunken Sempai.

hmm......this brings me all the way back to 20 years ago when i had my first 1/55 VF-1S and i don't have any valks since.

then there came VF-19A and it was also the time that i got to know Macrossworld and suddenly i find myself coming back to macross. with that, i bought my first yamato VF-19A and shortly after that, i'm seeing preview pics of 1/60 VF-1 and reissue of bandai 1/55 valks.

it's like treasure falling from the sky and i don't know what i should focus on. all i know was i want to have them cos they were my favourite toys! well, it didn't take any longer for me to add a VF-11B onto my shelf and after that, bandai VF-1J came along, 1/60 VF-1A flew in as well.....and the list go on and on and on...... :D

This board really needs to set a picture size limit on pictures.  Now it's not just a matter of slow loading pages, it's a pain in the ass to read anything because it forces me to side scroll to get all the text.  Or at least show a little curtesy and edit your frickin' pictures before you post them.

I resized them, should look better now.

On that note guys, please don't post any attachments that are this large. Try to keep the maximum width of the images you post in the 600-640 range. It keeps the board formatting consistent and easy to navigate.

My first Yamato was a 1/60 1S I stumbled across when browsing through NCSX.com. Back then I had no clue what die cast meant, so I wasn't really sure what I was buying. And they didn't even say whether it was transformable or not. So I bit the bullet, and bought it for $65.

It turned out to be a pretty damn good toy, my only gripe was that it felt so fragile on my hands that I was afraid of even transforming it (for some reason, the legs where stuck in fighter mode way too tight). I did end up transforming it later... and it was love at first sight.

The 1s is the only VF I really like.... so I'm contemplating getting the Hikaru 1s or not.

My Yamato Valkyrie Addiction -- An Essay :rolleyes:

Hmmm...where to start? I suppose this obsession began in early childhood (1984), when this transforming toy junky couldn't be spotted without his favorite Transformer constantly at his side--an incredible armored plane I got for Christmas named Jetfire. Okay, so the toy was a brick, I had no idea that there was such a thing as Gerwalk mode, I lost most of the armor, and I remember all the times my poor little hands were abused by the snapping metal landing gears, but damn if I didn't adore that toy like some kids loved their pets. I remember being VERY upset when this imitation jet --Skyfire-- appeared in the TF cartoon, not at all accurately portraying the "ultimate" Autobot that I staged wars with daily. I even remember being so foolish as to mock the Robotech toys/commercials I saw back then as being "knockoffs" of the "real thing" (hey, cut me some slack! I was only 6!). Funny thing is, in recent years I've come to still view Robotech in a similar way, now that I've FINALLY seen the "real thing"--Macross.

When I was around 12 or 13 years old, my best friend at the time had just begun tape trading with some kids he met on the Prodigy boards. Soon after that, I was exposed to Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, Gunbuster... Soon my life revolved around staying up late watching those fuzzy looking tapes with almost impossible to read fan-subs of a language I didn't understand. That's when I really got hooked on anime. That's also when Robotech came back into my life.

My friend and I had found a dusty set of tapes at the local comic book store, a six volume edited version of Robotech: The Macross Saga put out by F.H.E. Now, keep in mind, these were edited versions of an ALREADY edited show, taking six or so episodes and cannibalizing them into mini-movie length bits, chopping up "non-essential" (read: character development) parts in the process. The quality of the tapes was questionable at best. Regardless of all this, we were amazed just to find these tapes...this was no small feat, considering there was no widespread anime retailing back then, especially in a nowhere place like Southington, Connecticut. I vaguely recalled the show, remembering my refusal to watch it as a kid (after all, ALL convertible robot shows were rip-offs to my 6-year old mind. GoBots, Robotech...it was all the same. Heh). After the first few minutes, I came to the realization that I had been duped all this time--HASBRO had ripped off the design from THIS show. "Jetfire" was not a sentient being. IT was a war machine in a very compelling and human drama... piloted by Roy! :lol: That evening, I pulled out ol' Jetfire from his closet prison and discovered that he could make that "weird" half-plane/half-robot pose as well. Damn, I had been lied to!

That's when I firmly decided to one day collect any "Veritechs" I could get my hands on. I would've given anything to have a TRUE Skull One. But I was 12. And poor. Damn it.

Years went by, I was still stuck in the bowels of Connecticut, ExoSquad-labled Robotech toys came out (???) around high school, and I promptly snatched most of them up (enemy mecha! woot!)...except, what should have been the prize of that collection turned out to be a crappy, non-transforming fisher price Veritech. Yeah. Okay. PASS. By that time, I had also become an enormous fan of Macross Plus, owned two fansubbed copies of DYRL and Flashback 2012 (that were just slightly better quality than watching one of those blocked/scrambled channels on cable tv), found (and then almost slit my wrists watching) Clash of the Bionoids, and couldn't quite figure out why Macross 2 seemed so...out of whack when compared to the other shows (but the Valkyries were cool :D ). Robotech: The Sentinels movie left a funny taste in my mouth, especially seeing Bizarro Britai (Buckethead) and butch Miriya. I heard rumors of a Macross 7 in Japan, and wanted desperately to see it, though all the Macross I had viewed really confused me at first, because I still couldn't quite figure out where the Robotech Masters and Invid fit into the whole thing. I did some research and discovered that Macross was/is an entirely separate entity. Now I had TWO things to hunt for--the original, unedited Japanese Macross series AND that Skull One perfect toy.

Fast forward to 2001 and the end of college. I had slipped out of anime fandom for a few years, and temporarily forgot all about my attempts to find the perfect Valkyrie toy. In a random fit of nostalgia, I checked out a link from IGN to Robotech.com...and saw an add for Animeigo where the HOLY GRAIL was up for PREORDER before my very eyes--MACROSS! ORIGINAL JAPANESE!! SUBTITLED!!! ....For $250?! The boxset was supposedly marked down from an even higher price before I had discovered the site, but that was a LOT of money for a DVD set. Ignoring that guilty/nagging feeling, I bought it anyway, even though I didn't even OWN a DVD player. This was MACROSS--the "real thing." Finally!

After falling in love with my 9 disc boxset in early winter of 2002 (cheers to my roomate and his Playstation 2!), I soon started scouring the web, trying to find sites that discussed the original series... and that's when I found Macross World, my daily stop on the web ever since. And THAT is also when I discovered Yamato and their SERIES of Holy Grails.

The prices scared me at first... I was out of college, looking for a job, and couldn't imagine spending over $50 for a TOY... (this is what also kept me at bay from the HG MPCs), so I simply drooled at all of Grahams pictures for a long while, thinking "must be nice." The Bandai reissues were out, and I finally had my chance to get the Skull One I always wanted ...only... as an adult collector I found myself more into accuracy vs. nostalgia. I knew there were better things out there. But the Yamato 1/60 seemed overpriced! Argh! But then luck struck.

I finally got that Art Director job I'd applied for six months prior, started making real money (finally got that dvd player...heh), and Ebay proved to be my best friend one night in December. I noticed a 1/60 Max valk going for a ridiculously cheap price (like $20 or so), so I sat there for a good hour (at 3am or so on a work night) making sure I won that auction. I almost got sniped, but in the end, I won the thing for $35. I immediately fell in love with the sculpt, anime-accurate look of all three modes, and diecast content of the toy. But by the time I had Max, he was already old news to a lot of you, and much greater things were out. But I'll always have a fondness for my first 1/60... not only is Max my favorite character, but my first Yamato as well.

But like I've read here many times, the valkyrie addiction starts to grow (no thanks to you guys and gals! heh). I finally got a chance to see Macross 7, based to recommendations here (the FX set all the way!), and wanted desperately to own a VF-17 Nightmare. I then went through a time of collecting all the Bandai-made M7 valks... but they just weren't satisfying every time I'd look at my lonely Max 1/60 in all his glory. It was time to hunt down that elusive "perfect" Skull One toy at last. And I found my 1/60 Roy Focker Strike Valk for a damned good price ($60 shipped)! At last!!

Soon after that, I simply HAD to get the Max and Milia Supers and found a great deal on a Cannon Fodder 1A from hlj. I adore these valkyries... I couldn't imagine ever parting with them. I seriously didn't think Macross toys could get any better, until my amazing girlfriend surprised me this summer with a 1/48 Roy for my birthday. Now THIS is the perfect Skull One I had wanted all those years ago! He's proudly standing next to the computer right now in all his glory, and I periodically pick him up and transform him, all the while feeling like I'm 6 all over again. I don't think Tina quite understands just how much that gift meant to me. I associate that particular valkyrie with a great deal of my life thus far... and now I have the best representation of it sitting at arms reach.

Gah, I'm rambling.

Anyway, this thread really hit home, because just last week, I picked up the 1/72 VF-11B Fast Pack (missed out on all the MPlus valks the first time around) and definitely can see how Yamato has progressed. Granted, I like the little guy, but he's not nearly as impressive as the other bad boy I took home that evening--the 1/48 Low Vis. I think this one even has Roy beat in sheer beauty. THIS is my center piece, and I'm still in awe every time I walk by it. I have nothing but respect for Yamato, and the thought of all these upcoming toys in the future seriously sends shivers up my spine. I can't wait, though my girlfriend and empty wallet are due to kill me soon. :blink:

I still have that old Jetfire... he sits over with the TOYS of my collection (Bandai Macross 7 valks, Bandai Hikaru VF-1A reissue and the "Exosquad" Glaug, Regult, and Destroids). Calling these Yamatos "toys" just doesn't seem right. They're far more than that... they, in part, symbolize my youthful dreams coming true at last. :wub:

-Dan

my first yammie was a Super Max -1J i got from Kevin at Valk Exchange. i got pointed over there by the helpful members around here. since then, i have gotten 2 brownie CF's and a Max 1A, and am currently awaiting my Low Vis from BBTS. i haven't gotten a confirmation email from them yet, so i hope my order was in before they sold out.... :huh:

My first Yamato was the VF-1A Hikaru type, which I had to return to the store because of a defect in it (I believe it was one of the locking joints in the hips that was damaged). My first perment Yamato resident in my room is my Super VF-1J, which now has a damaged hip (hopefuly rectified when I get my paws on a replacement). I love Yamato, but the price is what's keeping me from buying more...

My first Yamato was a 1/60 1S I stumbled across when browsing through NCSX.com. Back then I had no clue what die cast meant, so I wasn't really sure what I was buying. And they didn't even say whether it was transformable or not. So I bit the bullet, and bought it for $65.

It turned out to be a pretty damn good toy, my only gripe was that it felt so fragile on my hands that I was afraid of even transforming it (for some reason, the legs where stuck in fighter mode way too tight). I did end up transforming it later... and it was love at first sight.

The 1s is the only VF I really like.... so I'm contemplating getting the Hikaru 1s or not.

:blink: You will get yourself a Hikaru 1S. :blink: You will get yourself a Hikaru 1S. :blink: You will get yourself a Hikaru 1S :blink:

ALL MONEY ARE BELONGS TO YAMATO......!

:lol:

Roy and Max 1/60 VF-1A from one of HLJ's sales. Followed shortly after by a Hikaru VF-1J. At first was scared about their fragility from reading on MW, but when I got them, was quite pleasantly surprised at how sturdy they are. Don't even have problems holding them together in gerwalk, either!

Minor QC on the Roy (paint chipping off one of the legs) but incredible on the whole IMO. And that one nit was supposed to be remedied by the 1/60 FAST pack kits... though I've all but given up hope on ever seeing these now.

I've followed up with YF-21 FP and 1/48 Low-Viz and times are good. Wish I had grabbed a 1/72 VF-19A when they were still affordable on Ebay, though.

Ah well. Now come out with the YF-19FP already! :)

Now that this topic reminds, I haven't looked back for years ...

I stumbled into MW last year, how and why I can't remember, when there were on-going discussions on MPCs and Yamato 1/60's. Thanks to those discussions, I got my first 3 1/60's, Roy, Hikaru and Max, and knew I'm stuck with Yamato for as long as they produce Macross toys.

1st Yamato was the YF-19 1st edition, got it from HLJ and broke tab-B in the first 10 minutes out the box. Got so pissed I didn't touch it for a month. Then I got used to it and figured how to transform the thing with out breaking it any further. :ph34r:

I have to thank Macross World (which I discovered in April 2001) for leading me to my first Yamato Valkyrie purchase. It was the 1/60 VF-1A (Hikaru). I was SOOO happy when I got it. It looked absolutely amazing in fighter mode, and was (at the time) the best new VF-1 toy available. Now, 2 years later, I am absolutely hooked and finding it harder and harder to resist buying more stuff. The only negative about Yamato is the look/quality of their Macross Plus toys. I have the VF-19A, and I wasn't too impressed by the sculpt or transformation process.

My first VF-1 toy was from the late 1980's when I bought a Taka 1/100 VF-1J (Hikaru). At the time I couldn't afford the 1/55 chunkey monkeys or the 1/72 HCM. The Yamato 1/60 in 2001 absolutely blew that away in terms of looks and function.

My first yamato was the VF-11, almost 2 years ago. I saw it in a department store in Singapore once, then went into a frenzy search of which place is cheaper. Then I found one at Robinson, which was on sale. This is followed by a small search on the internet, then continued with another mad hunt for the remaining YF=19 and YF-21. I couldn't find the YF-19 at reasonable price, then found VF-19 accidently, hidden in one of the toy sections at Seiyu. Went back to US happy. At that time, I thought, I already have a bandai VF-1S Super Valk, so why bother with the yamato ones?

However, I saw the reviews and pics of the yamato valks in US, then I became a rabid ebayer. got the VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1S Focker, and the Toys R Us CF.

Did it end? noOoOoO!. Super VF-1J came out, got it, then 1/48 hikaru, and finally the low viz version.

Currently waiting for the fast pack and elintseeker. Right now, I think, why bother with the Ostrich? but I don't know...........

Edited by V4lkyri3