SW: The Old Republic MMO

I'm talking about the entire game. If you think both games using a resource system make them the same, then every MMO ever made is just like WoW (Nevermind that many of them predate it).

I've got years in WoW and dozens of hours into SWTOR beta, and I am telling you, they are not alike.

It's an MMO; KotOR is single player. There is no comparison.

No crap. There is a comparison because its the same SW franchise in the same universe using some of the same game mechanics (ie. the addition of companions which was billed by the developers as a nod to the original RPG). It is based on the established canon of KOTOR games and comics, and for fans of those, it is important that they continue the same character development and story-telling. Regardelss if its an MMO in its basic mechanics, it is still a SW KOTOR game and needs to carry on with those elements that drew people to that universe.

Honestly, WoW is pretty lame IMO. If its just WoW in space, then I won't play it. If its a strong KOTOR game first and a WoW clone second, then I will play it.

Could someone else who has played both (who might put a little more thought into their answer) add something?

No crap. There is a comparison because its the same SW franchise in the same universe using some of the same game mechanics (ie. the addition of companions which was billed by the developers as a nod to the original RPG). It is based on the established canon of KOTOR games and comics, and for fans of those, it is important that they continue the same character development and story-telling. Regardelss if its an MMO in its basic mechanics, it is still a SW KOTOR game and needs to carry on with those elements that drew people to that universe.

I think you just answered your own question. :)

Honestly, WoW is pretty lame IMO. If its just WoW in space, then I won't play it. If its a strong KOTOR game first and a WoW clone second, then I will play it.

Could someone else who has played both (who might put a little more thought into their answer) add something?

Warcraft takes place in space. Just sayin'. Secondly, comparing SWTOR to WoW is a lazy comparison, at best. I've said it before and I'll say it again: SWTOR feels familiar in the way all MMO's over the past decade would to someone has played just one of them. It's not a WoW clone, or anywhere close to it. Zor Primus has pretty much agreed with my assessment of the game, and he has much more time in beta than I. I have friends in my guild who have MMO experience going back to UO. Some of them have extensive time spent in SWG, and all of them have a ton of time sunk into WoW; the general opinion among them all is the game is a lot of fun and seems fresh to them. With one exception, none of them play WoW anymore, and are frankly tired of it and uninterested in ever playing it again. They would not play a WoW clone.

I'm talking about the entire game. If you think both games using a resource system make them the same, then every MMO ever made is just like WoW (Nevermind that many of them predate it).

I've got years in WoW and dozens of hours into SWTOR beta, and I am telling you, they are not alike.

Wow, no one else has ever played that much WoW before. I'll bow to your vast experience.

The combat is the same, the system for exploration is the same. The pre-mount fast travel is the same. The loot is the same. You even have slots for super items.

yes, there are SW specific flourishes, like crafting your own weapon and there are cut scenes, dialog trees and a morality system... so it's like every other bioware game and because there's an emphasis on the single player story element, there's a lot of just you and your companion missions.

But the actual

combat mechanics: you spam basic attacks to build up mana for special abilities, special abilities have cool downs that need to juggled. Hits and misses are based on "dice" and not any sort of skill.

the loot mechanics: there's vendor trash, there's gear, there's special gear, there's quest reward gear. Many quests involve going to a fixed location and killing X number of bad guys and collecting random stuff from them or scanning them.

travel: You walk everywhere, you "discover" locations, towns, bases, etc.

fast travel: Once you discover an area with a taxi service, you talk to the droid to unlock that location and connect it with other known locations, you pay to use the taxi. You also get a magic quick travel ability that you can use once every 30mins or so... sound familiar?

mounts: they're called speeders and you get them later in the game.

all of that, any WoW player is going to feel right at home. Even Guild Wars was more of a deviation from the WoW formula than this game is.

If someone doesn't like the WoW formula, don't expect TOR to be significantly different. So, if you're going to get hung up on the fact that there's voice acting and nice mini cinematics... then okay, it's a totally different experience than WoW.

But if you can get over your fanboy butthurt and understand that I'm talking about the gameplay itself, then it's readily apparent that TOR tries very, very hard to be just like WoW. It does FAR more things similarly than not and again, other games like GW or ST:O offer experiences that are pretty unique to the WoW formula.

Edited by eugimon

Another thought: not to be a prick, but stop comparing it to KotOR. KotOR is fairly dated at this point, from a game mechanics point of view. I mean, it's 8 years old. SWTOR doesn't play like KotOR, at all. Not in the least. If KotOR 3 was made today and it played like the previous two, I'd be very disappointed.

The Old Republic world is there. The strong story and characterization are there. Hell, most of the KotOR voice actors are there. It's also a blast to play, and it is NOT a WoW clone.

I'll be there, and I think you should be too. I think if it was something you finally decided to try a year after launch, you'd be kicking yourself for letting that year go by without playing it.

For the record, the game has a few issues, many of which the devs have talked about addressing sometime in the first six months after release. Some of the others, well, we'll see. They won't break the game, though.

Wow, no one else has ever played that much WoW before. I'll bow to your vast experience.

The combat is the same, the system for exploration is the same. The pre-mount fast travel is the same. The loot is the same. You even have slots for super items.

yes, there are SW specific flourishes, like crafting your own weapon and there are cut scenes, dialog trees and a morality system... so it's like every other bioware game and because there's an emphasis on the single player story element, there's a lot of just you and your companion missions.

But the actual combat mechanics, the loot mechanics, the equipment, travel, fast travel, mounts, all of that, any WoW player is going to feel right at home. Even Guild Wars was more of a deviation from the WoW formula than this game is.

If someone doesn't like the WoW formula, don't expect TOR to be significantly different.

I find your ignorance of MMO history disturbing. The MMO didn't start with WoW, and it's not going to end with it.

You are also VERY wrong about a lot of "just you and your companion missions." I assume you never got past level 10-15. I can assure you, by the time you are in you're 20's, you are swamped with group missions. WoW never came close to having this much group content during leveling. Hell, the interactive group cutscenes are a blast and one of my favorite features.

The combat looks and feels very different to me. SWTOR, to me (and countless others) is significantly different.

Edited by Duke Togo

I think you just answered your own question. :)

Well, I still don't know if it carries on the same story-telling tradition as KOTOR or how emmersive the universe is. I thumbed through a copy of The Art and Making of The Old Republic tonight. I like how diverse the armor and weapons are, but the book starts out with a chapter on how they "cartooned" the character designs at the early stages of development. That puts up a "WoW clone" red flag for me, hence my concerns. So does it feel like a continuation of the KOTOR games or not?

Warcraft takes place in space. Just sayin'. Secondly, comparing SWTOR to WoW is a lazy comparison, at best. I've said it before and I'll say it again: SWTOR feels familiar in the way all MMO's over the past decade would to someone has played just one of them. It's not a WoW clone, or anywhere close to it. Zor Primus has pretty much agreed with my assessment of the game, and he has much more time in beta than I. I have friends in my guild who have MMO experience going back to UO. Some of them have extensive time spent in SWG, and all of them have a ton of time sunk into WoW; the general opinion among them all is the game is a lot of fun and seems fresh to them. With one exception, none of them play WoW anymore, and are frankly tired of it and uninterested in ever playing it again. They would not play a WoW clone.

Thanks, that helps a bit. For the record, I played UO, EQ, CoH, and SWG (and Planetside of you want to count that) before getting burned out on MMO's. WoW had zero appeal to me when it came out because of this. I also liked soloing and all my WoW friends said you couldn't do that in WoW. Can a player get by just mostly soloing in SWTOR?

But the actual

combat mechanics: you spam basic attacks to build up mana for special abilities, special abilities have cool downs that need to juggled. Hits and misses are based on "dice" and not any sort of skill.

the loot mechanics: there's vendor trash, there's gear, there's special gear, there's quest reward gear. Many quests involve going to a fixed location and killing X number of bad guys and collecting random stuff from them or scanning them.

travel: You walk everywhere, you "discover" locations, towns, bases, etc.

fast travel: Once you discover an area with a taxi service, you talk to the droid to unlock that location and connect it with other known locations, you pay to use the taxi. You also get a magic quick travel ability that you can use once every 30mins or so... sound familiar?

mounts: they're called speeders and you get them later in the game.

You mean staples of every MMO going back over a decade? Your fixation on WoW and calling it a "WoW clone" (and your talking up of Guild Wars) is starting to make you sound like a troll. I personally have nothing again GW, and I know GW2 is generating a lot of buzz, but I've seen these types of posts before from people who have little or no time played in SWTOR, and they are always trolling.

This sounds promising.

Can a player get by just mostly soloing in SWTOR?

Heroic missions (group missions) will murder you in the face. Hard. They might not seem like it the first few you do, but they can be extremely challenging. You will not be soloing them. You could certainly skip all of that content, but you'd miss out on a chunk of the story, a chunk of missions, and a chunk of missions rewards. Plus you miss out on the awesomeness that is group cutscenes.

Ok, I really want to say again how awesome group cutscenes are, especially when you get people together who would handle the situation differently. Basically, the cutscene/conversation works like Bioware one's typically do, except everbody in the party can pick their own response. A roll is done (internally, by the game), and the winner of the roll is the one whose response is "played." One of my favorite beta memories is being in a group and just mercilessly choosing to murder the person the group was talking to (I had won the roll), and one of the members (jokingly) commented how sadistic I was. We all had a good laugh (and a good time).

Oh, yeah, this game is not exactly kid friendly. It's not AoC, by any means, but it can be brutal, violent, and filled with sex (ok, the screen fades out when you hook up, but you get the idea).

Heroic missions (group missions) will murder you in the face. Hard. They might not seem like it the first few you do, but they can be extremely challenging. You will not be soloing them. You could certainly skip all of that content, but you'd miss out on a chunk of the story, a chunk of missions, and a chunk of missions rewards. Plus you miss out on the awesomeness that is group cutscenes.

Well, part of what killed MMO's for me was trying to find people that stay in a dungeon/mission to the end, friends that level at your pace, clans that aren't full of spamming jerks, clans that share loot, people in groups that share loot, nerfed powers, etc. I know it sounds trite, but MMO's werent always and don't have to be so group-centric. I actually enjoy the endless and open-ended game play of MMO's. I like meeting people casually while exploring a new area. Honestly, if I wanted to deal with the problems of real people, I wouldn't escape to video game worlds.

Edited by Totoro242

Well, part of what killed MMO's for me was trying to find people that stay in a dungeon/mission to the end, friends that level at your pace, clans that aren't full of spamming jerks, clans that share loot, people in groups that share loot, nerfed powers, etc. I know it sounds trite, but MMO's werent always and don't have to be so group-centric. I actually enjoy the endless and open-ended game play of MMO's. I like meeting people casually while exploring a new area. Honestly, if I wanted to deal with the problems of real people, I wouldn't escape to video game worlds.

Well, it is an MMO. If you want to play it solo, certainly you can. You will be missing out on chunks of content. I know MMO's aren't for everyone, and I noticed much of what you played leaned toward the "sandbox" style of play (I put a chunk of time into EVE, so I can definitely dig that) which is very solo-friendly. I won't try to sell you on a game that might not be a fit for you. What I can tell you is that there are 8 distinct storylines in this game for 8 classes, and each one is probably longer than the total story in KotOR.

I found SWTOR to be pretty refreshing in comparison to World of Workcraft. Since there's no auto attack, you can spam your basic skill with mouse1. It makes combat a bit more involving (at least for me). One thing I found lacking was any type of elevated land like mountains that I could climb and overlook the land. The foot travel in general just feels more restricted than WoW, but I guess thems the breaks when your setting is intergalactic with multiple planets. I had 6 days to play in the beta. I was a jedi guardian for the first 5, then on the last day I made a trooper and was like, oh my god, I've just wasted all my time playing a jedi :lol:. Trooper face rolls some gold elites with ranged weapons + companion help hehe.

Well, it is an MMO. If you want to play it solo, certainly you can. You will be missing out on chunks of content. I know MMO's aren't for everyone, and I noticed much of what you played leaned toward the "sandbox" style of play (I put a chunk of time into EVE, so I can definitely dig that) which is very solo-friendly. I won't try to sell you on a game that might not be a fit for you. What I can tell you is that there are 8 distinct storylines in this game for 8 classes, and each one is probably longer than the total story in KotOR.

Cool. I'll probably still give it a try and I guess I can eventually sell my account if it gets boring for me :p

Are there any PVP servers being tested in Beta?

Cool. I'll probably still give it a try and I guess I can eventually sell my account if it gets boring for me :p

Are there any PVP servers being tested in Beta?

Lots and lots. Speaking of, I STRONGLY recommend you read about the Smuggler's Den on Tatooine and the 24-hour a day active warzone on Illum. A PvPer's dream.

It makes combat a bit more involving (at least for me). One thing I found lacking was any type of elevated land like mountains that I could climb and overlook the land. The foot travel in general just feels more restricted than WoW, but I guess thems the breaks when your setting is intergalactic with multiple planets.

I completely understand what you mean, but if you see how Blizzard is backpeddling on flying mounts now, you can understand why. Being able to fly over the landscape and drop into mission areas trivializes the design of the world. Land-kill mobs--take off; rinse, repeat. It's not something I really missed, and it makes the game world seem more alive because it is populated.

I don't think it's going to escape comparisons to WoW, but underneath that veneer it's a different animal altogether. I've been in beta for a few months now, and the starting area is probably as close as it gets to WoW. So I'll probably put a few points in here:

1) You can solo the entire game up to level cap. Obviously you will not be able to do flashpoints but it is possible to do heroic quests with a companion. This is confirmed.

2) In higher levels the areas to explore is vast. There are 17 major planets(and hundreds of small asteroids/bases), and a typical mid level planet like Hoth is as big as seven WoW regions. That's about half a continent in WoW.

3) There is no autoattack, and no auto facing in pvp. This becomes really apparent at higher levels.

4) Whereas in WoW you can easily just spam accept quests and not care about why you're doing stuff, in SWTOR you're encouraged to immerse youself, with the voice acting and the multiple choices that you have.

5) There are romance tracks with your companions, along with an updated gifting system as seen in Dragon Age.

6) Companions are used to assist in crew skills(professions). Aside from being the obvious sidekick, they can be assigned to missions independently and also to quick sell all the greys in your inventory.

It's very much easy to say it's WoW wrapped in Star Wars but that's like saying WoW is Everquest wrapped in cartoony Warhammer. They are theme park MMOs with similar resource and combat management. Not saying it's wrong, but that's a lazy way to put things.

For those of you who loved KOTOR this is basically KOTOR 3 -6 with optional co-op modes. If your experience is limited to just the low level beta weekend areas I won't blame you, but there is a lot more to do further on.

I was a jedi guardian for the first 5, then on the last day I made a trooper and was like, oh my god, I've just wasted all my time playing a jedi :lol:. Trooper face rolls some gold elites with ranged weapons + companion help hehe.

Indeed, in the current beta build the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior class is currently the weakest. They will be doing another pass sometime soon, hopefully before launch. Troopers/Bounty Hunters and Seers/Sorcerors are dominating high level play at the moment.

I don't think it's going to escape comparisons to WoW, but underneath that veneer it's a different animal altogether. I've been in beta for a few months now, and the starting area is probably as close as it gets to WoW. So I'll probably put a few points in here:

1) You can solo the entire game up to level cap. Obviously you will not be able to do flashpoints but it is possible to do heroic quests with a companion. This is confirmed.

2) In higher levels the areas to explore is vast. There are 17 major planets(and hundreds of small asteroids/bases), and a typical mid level planet like Hoth is as big as seven WoW regions. That's about half a continent in WoW.

4) Whereas in WoW you can easily just spam accept quests and not care about why you're doing stuff, in SWTOR you're encouraged to immerse youself, with the voice acting and the multiple choices that you have.

For those of you who loved KOTOR this is basically KOTOR 3 -6 with optional co-op modes. If your experience is limited to just the low level beta weekend areas I won't blame you, but there is a lot more to do further on.

Awesome, you guys are getting me excited for this game now :) Thanks for the reviews.

Edited by Totoro242

You mean staples of every MMO going back over a decade? Your fixation on WoW and calling it a "WoW clone" (and your talking up of Guild Wars) is starting to make you sound like a troll. I personally have nothing again GW, and I know GW2 is generating a lot of buzz, but I've seen these types of posts before from people who have little or no time played in SWTOR, and they are always trolling.

Yeah... I offer up concrete examples of how TOR is like WoW and you say, "nuh-uh". I explain those examples in detail and then you call me a troll.

lol. Why, that makes me take your opinions that much more seriously.

So at the end of the day, you have nothing to back up your claims that TOR is a completely different experience other than:

"people" say so and name calling.

Good job.

TOR has a nice system with the holo-communication. Group members can be at different areas of the same instance and the plot can still move forward as they can all call in to the plot point and interact. It makes things a lot more fluid and a lot less of waiting around for everyone to get to the same place.

TOR has a nice system with the holo-communication. Group members can be at different areas of the same instance and the plot can still move forward as they can all call in to the plot point and interact. It makes things a lot more fluid and a lot less of waiting around for everyone to get to the same place.

Cool. I heard WoW has something like this and CoH eventually moved to a similar system.

Are there any contested zones where both factions have to quest? Or is all pvp a queue based battleground type? I remember the days in WoW where someone from the opposite faction comes out of no where and you gotta fight for your life. Really makes it fun and gets the blood pumping :lol:

Yup there are contested planets like Alderaan. If you roll in a pvp server, it's pretty much what you described.

I offer up concrete examples of how TOR is like WoW and you say, "nuh-uh".

No, you offered up some examples of concepts it contains that are like all MMO's (except for Guild Wars, apparently), and then you made some rather lazy and uninformed comments about its combat system and how it looks. Nevermind this flies in the face of all the other feedback given in this thread (or that can be found online, for that matter).

You want to talk about GW2 and how awesome it looks, more power to you; create a thread and have at it.

What would I consider legitimate and valid criticisms of SWTOR? The character creator needs to be more robust, the UI needs more customization options, lack of addon support (I'm 50/50 on this one, actually), lack of macro support, lack of "Target of Target" window.

Cool. I heard WoW has something like this and CoH eventually moved to a similar system.

I can't speak to CoH, but WoW definitely does not have a system like this.

I find it amusing that some people think that mmo’s started with WoW.

I've been playing mmo's since UO, and many people will probably agree that everything after has evolved from it. Why? Cause even after the release of games like SWG and WoW, UO is still alive. The graphics being about as outdated as a VCR, you'll find a loyal following. Anyways, from there I played a game that sadly did not last long called Earth and Beyond...only for a few months because it was right before I started testing SWG and played that until just after the JTL expansion...had gotten the invite to beta WoW and was infected with oooh shiny new toy that I had to play. Dropped SWG after WoW launch and for the better I guess considering the CU and NGE killed the game for most everyone I knew. Dabbled a bit with CoH but it never really hooked me. WoW, I had to give up like a bad habit...literally. Got a bit hyped for Age of Conan, even upgraded my PC to play...that was a fail. Then tried LotR and really liked it, but l stopped playing after maxing out my Ranger.

In between all that mayhem SWTOR was announced and since I had previously played KOTOR & KOTOR 2...hell yeah! Star Wars geek's dream come true!

Subbed and atm continue playing STO and will definitely keep it post SWTOR release.

I’ve been in beta since August. And the first thing I noticed was not ZOMG WoW Clone HAXORXZZZ!!! No.

What I can say is the game is based on both successful mmo’s from the past and Bioware’s own character design, control and personality. You can enjoy a well-built story that has been developed over a period of 3 years. The gameplay is solid, period. The fact that you don’t have an auto attack or target imo doesn’t hamper gameplay, it adds a challenge. Could it be? A game that’s actually requires a little more key pushing skills????

My xp in beta was fantastic. I have already played through all the classes’ first planet. Basically taking your toon to level 10+ and up to your first flashpoint which is Black Talon for the Empire or Esseles for the Republic. I’ve not wanted to go past level 25 because I really do not want to spoil anymore of the story. However this also proves that even the low level toons are allot of fun to play! Plenty to do and places to go. The planets I’ve been to are HUGE. Balmorra for example seemed impossible to complete cause I kept opening and opening new areas. Oh…and yes…even healer class is fun to play! I’ve never been one to play that class, especially since soloing your quests was frustrating at times. I’ve been more of a ranged dps type or tank kinda player.

The social aspect of the game which I’ve seen called “the typical Bioware game feature” is just that and should be considered a plus. What I’d find funny is that if Blizzard began sneaking in something similar in their game, zomg SWTOR Clone!!!!!!

So…going back to all this WoW clone wars, sure, go right ahead, but then at the same time, we might as well say this game is a clone of SWG, CoH, E&B, EQ, AoC, GW, FFXI, UO, Eve Online, Wizards 101, Matrix Online, The Sims Online, Second Life….the list can go on and on and what you will discover is that the basic core base of all these games are the same and will continue being the same until gods knows when.

Look at this screenshot...ZOMG WoW Clone!!!!

post-2668-0-04199800-1322844361_thumb.png

Edited by Zor Primus

This beta build they have us testing (on 6 NA servers) has some serious performance issues. Where previously I was seeing 90-110 FPS (unnecessary, obviously), I now average around 30-50--and never above 70. At times I dip as low as 20 FPS.I had to turn on vsync to correct some other graphic issues that have cropped up, so I'm capped at 60 now, anyway.

This is very disappointing, to say the least. I have the hardware to run this game at max, and then some. I do hope they resolve this in the next few weeks.

Edit: Bioware created what is a quickly growing thread on the tester forums because of this issue (currently at 26 pages). Servers are currently down and a new patch was rolled out; hopefully this fixes it.

Edited by Duke Togo

Edit: Bioware created what is a quickly growing thread on the tester forums because of this issue (currently at 26 pages). Servers are currently down and a new patch was rolled out; hopefully this fixes it.

Bioware is actively investigating the issue.

Good to know it wasn't just me lol...thanks for the update

What is somewhat bothersome are those who didn't play this weekend chiming in on the forums saying, "Well, my hardware is 'X', and I was getting 100+ FPS." When you ask them if it was this weekend, they always say no. I have yet to see a single person with capable hardware post they were getting the numbers we had seen previously during the final beta this past weekend.

Passing along a rumor: someone stated that Bioware re-enabled the in-game AA this weekend. I didn't see an option for it, but considering the issues they had in the past with it, I would not be surprised. However, I had AA enabled through CCC, and that would have overridden any in-game setting--meaning I *should* have been immune if that was the cause.

What is somewhat bothersome are those who didn't play this weekend chiming in on the forums saying, "Well, my hardware is 'X', and I was getting 100+ FPS." When you ask them if it was this weekend, they always say no. I have yet to see a single person with capable hardware post they were getting the numbers we had seen previously during the final beta this past weekend.

Passing along a rumor: someone stated that Bioware re-enabled the in-game AA this weekend. I didn't see an option for it, but considering the issues they had in the past with it, I would not be surprised. However, I had AA enabled through CCC, and that would have overridden any in-game setting--meaning I *should* have been immune if that was the cause.

Yeah...it was hell...I ground through the JK story and made it to Tatooine....neat twist with Kira. A little disapointed I broke my own rule, but....oh well ;)

They did a beta closing dance off in Senate Plaza on Coruscant...yeah if it was a hidden stress test, it failed miserably. 3.0 fps the entire time in that area.

Well, now that the testing's ended I fervently hope they're patching the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior classes before live hits, as it is now it takes roughly three times as much button presses( or more when dealing with multiple mobs) just to tank as compared to the Trooper/BH. Seems like my initial decision to play non force classes first is paying off.

Yeah...it was hell...I ground through the JK story and made it to Tatooine....neat twist with Kira. A little disapointed I broke my own rule, but....oh well ;)

They did a beta closing dance off in Senate Plaza on Coruscant...yeah if it was a hidden stress test, it failed miserably. 3.0 fps the entire time in that area.

I win: I was getting 9 FPS during the dance off!

Well, now that the testing's ended I fervently hope they're patching the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior classes before live hits, as it is now it takes roughly three times as much button presses( or more when dealing with multiple mobs) just to tank as compared to the Trooper/BH. Seems like my initial decision to play non force classes first is paying off.

If there was one thing 6 years of WoW has taught me, no class remains the same for long.