SW: The Old Republic MMO

High quality graphics != good game play. Besides, I'm not sure it's actually possible to have a fluid game with that level of graphic detail in it. Not only that, but the budget for an animated series with that level of work would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks for sharing your two cents, though.

Edited by Duke Togo

High quality graphics != good game play. Besides, I'm not sure it's actually possible to have a fluid game with that level of graphic detail in it. Not only that, but the budget for an animated series with that level of work would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks for sharing your two cents, though.

A series with the current Clone Wars animation is fine with me. But something a bit more realistic would be even better.

A series with the current Clone Wars animation is fine with me. But something a bit more realistic would be even better.

We are talking about a game here not series.

As for "Clone Wars" type graphics for a game, I played the PS3 Clone Wars game, nothing to write home about.

If you want a real look at the game badboy, I suggest checking out in game screenshots and not cinema.

I rather watch an animated series than to play the game unless the game play graphics are the same as the trailers.

The problem is that graphics of that level would make Crysis-esque rigs cry out in agony and melt like ILM's computers when rendering Devastator ^_^ The whole point behind scaling the graphics down, which I wasn't too thrilled about but have come to accept, was to open the MM-part of the game to as many potential users as possible.

I don't know what people are complaining about. I was watching the E3 gameplay videos and the game looks great.

It took me a while, but I've come around to accept them. I'm not to thrilled about how the men are all Made of Iron and the women all have the Most Common Superpower, but I can deal with it. I just hope the animations are up to par, since the annoying thing about KOTOR was how I'd be duking it out with two mooks and my PC would only react to one of them, not dodging or parrying the second. That needs to be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not in the beta, but I did preorder the uber-special-collecter's-ulitmate Edition. I'm a bit disappointed in the special features, and I thought that there'd be a longer subscription phase for the larger editions, but I just couldn't pass up on it.

Bioware + Star Wars + Old Republic setting = take me, I'm yours

I um...got to try the beta via a friend. Liked what I saw/played so I bit the bullet and pre-ordered despite my long standing resistance to the game. Signed up for the beta as well. In terms of actual combat gameplay, it doesn't feel any different than a standard mmo.

However, Bioware seems to have made a solid effort at making you connect with your character in ways not done before in the mmo genre. That and you seem like a bamf right out of the gate. For a lover of RPGs, especially ones where you create your own character and forge your own path, what Bioware has done thus far has proven to be irresistible.

I um...got to try the beta via a friend. Liked what I saw/played so I bit the bullet and pre-ordered despite my long standing resistance to the game. Signed up for the beta as well. In terms of actual combat gameplay, it doesn't feel any different than a standard mmo.

However, Bioware seems to have made a solid effort at making you connect with your character in ways not done before in the mmo genre. That and you seem like a bamf right out of the gate. For a lover of RPGs, especially ones where you create your own character and forge your own path, what Bioware has done thus far has proven to be irresistible.

Yeah as far as mmo's go there hasn't been anything ground breaking in ages. Bioware's strength has always been story and character development, and this game does not fail!

• 3 weeks later...

I registered on the boards back when they first went up, posted one or two days and then never went back.

Graphics wise, I was more than satisfied by SWO... in fact, I liked it's pre-CU charagen the best yet I think.

I saw the cinematics for the game, and then looking at the actual gameplay and engine aspects, almost makes me wish I had the time to play again. It's Bioware, and I don't know how they intend to make the story driven engine work, but if they can pull it off, it'll be great. Ah well, hopefully they'll seed this with enough interesting history items like what happened to Revan, the exile, all of the stuff left unanswered in KOTOR, and of course, I thought HK47 is making at least some appearance, that alone I think is worth the price of admission.

I registered on the boards back when they first went up, posted one or two days and then never went back.

Graphics wise, I was more than satisfied by SWO... in fact, I liked it's pre-CU charagen the best yet I think.

SWG died with the NGE...

This game is going to blow it out of the water.

I could have played for a long time before the CU, which is where I quit. I still just say it was the wrong setting. Should have been after Thrawn and before the NJO. can have the oddball Jedi going to Luke, etc.

Yay! Another round of testing for meh! B))

I still just say it was the wrong setting. Should have been after Thrawn and before the NJO. Can have the oddball Jedi going to Luke, etc.

Agreed! Their mistake was timeline for sure! Post-ROTJ would have justified everyone's desire to play Jedi in the right moment of lore. EU at least.

Edited by Zor Primus

• 3 weeks later...

EA COO Peter Moore: "The Old Republic is in Beta right now and players are blown away by the immersive story, dynamic combat and authentic Star Wars feel. In the coming weeks we'll invite hundreds of thousands of players into our biggest Beta test to date."

I just took the time to take a loot at some of the old Alpha footage; man, does the game look a lot different now. There was so much hand-ringing going on by some people over the graphics when this stuff was first shown. Makes me chuckle, now.