Animated Avatars

Hello,

I'm thinking of making me an animated avatar. If I remember correctly they weren't allowed here once. However I see several people do have them and all I could find in the rules is this statement:

16. have custom avatars over 30K or and animated gifs over 60K.

So is it safe to assume they aren't frowned upon here?

I also noticed the Avatar Setting screen mentions:

Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 200 KB.

Why the disagreement between this and the Rules & Regulations post?

Specifically what I'm working on is a smaller version of this:

IPB Image

Thanks,

Carl

• 4 months later...
Well with no free time I had to put this on hold for a while but I did finally manage to finish it. Is my current animated avatar to big file size wise?

Your avatar = 324.58 KB

Rules and upload page say 200 KB.

Please reduce the quality or size of your avatar.

The speed is different :)

Yes... I noticed that too. And to be honest I'm not sure why. The first has 120 frames and each frame is supposed to be shown for 0.05 seconds. The second has 60 frames and each frame is supposed to be shown for 0.1 seconds. If I do my math correctly they should have the same rotation rate. My guess is that the first gif can't change frames that fast for some reason but I'm not sure.

Carl

As I am rubbish at making decent gifs, would you be in the mood for making an animated gif thread, for users to download? would be a nice feature no?

Is that question directed at me? To be honest I'm not sure what you are asking from. This is an animated gif threads of sorts isn't it. By download are you asking for software that allows one to make animated gifs? I use Animation Shop 3 and its faily strait forward.

Carl

Yes... I noticed that too. And to be honest I'm not sure why. The first has 120 frames and each frame is supposed to be shown for 0.05 seconds. The second has 60 frames and each frame is supposed to be shown for 0.1 seconds. If I do my math correctly they should have the same rotation rate. My guess is that the first gif can't change frames that fast for some reason but I'm not sure.

Carl

That is weird. I've only used the animation program that comes with Paint Shop pro and only to make very simple animated gifs. So I'm not really sure what the problem could be. Regardless, I think the small one works just fine, even if it is a bit slower.