Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

What's this bull with no-name aussie licenors releasing this, when no one has announced it in the U.S.? I call Shennanigans!

If you want a NTSC subtitled version, there's an official release in Singapore (although you have to send a postcard - included in the DVD - to get the booklet in english) and the Hong Kong version that is actually very nice since it also comes in a red box with some goodies such as trading cards (instead of the film strip included in the Japanese version). The booklet for the HK version is in Chinese though...

Oh, and the preview for the second movie has been edited out of the Singapore version (it was edited also in the theatrical release here).

What's this bull with no-name aussie licenors releasing this, when no one has announced it in the U.S.? I call Shennanigans!

Well, when you consider how much anime either gets a release in Australia a LONG time after the rest of the world, IF at all, I think that nobody has the right to really whinge when we get a release of some material that is not available in other places.

I mean, no UC Gundam has ever been released in Australia, we only got Wing and a few other series (big deal). Same goes with lots of other popular and obscure anime titles. Sure, they are available on import and amazon prices are generally OK, but they charge a heap for freight to Australia, often more than the title you are purchasing is worth.

The TV series of Evangelion was released here at least a year (I think it was a lot more) after it was released in other Western nations.

Any fellow Aussies here to back me up on this one????

Taksraven

Yeah, that's about right...I waited for so long, I just gave up in the end and got the bootleg from Chinatown. I later picked up the Madman Platinum TV series for a very good price though.

I guess all my Eva DVDs will go to the recycling bin when Blu Rays comes out....but it is strange that Madman didn't continue to pick up the Region 4 license.

The TV series of Evangelion was released here at least a year (I think it was a lot more) after it was released in other Western nations.

Any fellow Aussies here to back me up on this one????

Taksraven

If you want a NTSC subtitled version, there's an official release in Singapore (although you have to send a postcard - included in the DVD - to get the booklet in english) and the Hong Kong version that is actually very nice since it also comes in a red box with some goodies such as trading cards (instead of the film strip included in the Japanese version). The booklet for the HK version is in Chinese though...

Oh, and the preview for the second movie has been edited out of the Singapore version (it was edited also in the theatrical release here).

Just got a copy in Malaysia too....i think they got the license indirectly from HK though cuz the video quality definately isn't DVD quality...and i think its the same one they sold in Singapore cause the packaging is the same. And they left out the preview on my copy as well.

I'll whinge as much as I want, the principle isn't whether or not you can grab a subttitled copy from HK, singapore, or what not, it's why U.S. companies are whinging about licensensing costs, while at least several other places around the world seem to have ponied up. Unless Japan is charging the U.S. more for some reason.

I'll whinge as much as I want, the principle isn't whether or not you can grab a subttitled copy from HK, singapore, or what not, it's why U.S. companies are whinging about licensensing costs, while at least several other places around the world seem to have ponied up. Unless Japan is charging the U.S. more for some reason.

Probably has something to do with American anime companies being in the shitter.

ADV wasn't selling off it's office furniture for funsies, you know.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it. I actually saw Evangelion 1.0 on a movie screen. it was screened in the Philippines as part of a movie festival. Evangelion in all it's wide-screen glory, just the way it was intended. FRACKIN BLEW ME AWAY!!! some parts literally gave me goosebumps. it was just so awesome. I feel so blessed!! I can never ewatch it from the DVD the same way again. :D

I can't believe it. I actually saw Evangelion 1.0 on a movie screen. it was screened in the Philippines as part of a movie festival. Evangelion in all it's wide-screen glory, just the way it was intended. FRACKIN BLEW ME AWAY!!! some parts literally gave me goosebumps. it was just so awesome. I feel so blessed!! I can never ewatch it from the DVD the same way again. :D

Completely explodes your head on the big screen, doesn't it? ^_^

I was lucky enough to see it three times in the theaters. Seeing it on DVD, well...it just isn't the same.

Edited by Gubaba

Completely explodes your head on the big screen, doesn't it? ^_^

I was lucky enough to see it three times in the theaters. Seeing it on DVD, well...it just isn't the same.

Yeah a totally different experience! and i can't imagine myself enjoying it as much anymore on DVD. sadly, it might have spoiled me too much for the next 3 movies. if the festival organizers don't screen the next 3 movies as well, i'll be left with the DVD experience, which by now wouldn't do it for me anymore.

ignorance was bliss. haha. :p

Yeah a totally different experience! and i can't imagine myself enjoying it as much anymore on DVD. sadly, it might have spoiled me too much for the next 3 movies. if the festival organizers don't screen the next 3 movies as well, i'll be left with the DVD experience, which by now wouldn't do it for me anymore.

ignorance was bliss. haha. :p

Bah, the answer is simple...just book a trip to Tokyo for July 2009, and another one with the final movie(s) comes out. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Preview of EVA-02's new look.

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-303.html

081tg8.jpg

NewType magazine's December issue will have a more detailed look at EVA-02.

I like the use of more black to break up all the red but I'm not too sure about all the extra white on it. If you disregard the white on the color scheme, it's like the production team were going for more "German" looking colors on Nigouki.

Edited by IXTL

081tg8.jpg

I like the use of more black to break up all the red but I'm not too sure about all the extra white on it. If you disregard the white on the color scheme, it's like the production team were going for more "German" looking colors on Nigouki.

Mrs. Bushido? :huh:

081tg8.jpg

Fantastic! I am loving this. Some people whinge that it is recycling but I am LOVING the fact that we are revisiting Evangelion. Who needs crappy hollywood remakes when we can have this brilliance?

Taksraven

I'm actually looking forward to this re-imagining of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as an anime story. I'm hopeful it will appeal to me more than the television series, which wasn't very good at all.

However, the mechanical design of NGE is something that was always first rate. The EVAs are easily some of the most innovative mechanical designs to come out of anime in the last 10 years. Having said that, I'm not crazy about these new variants. I like some of the new colors for Unit 02, but that crown isn't working for me. One step forward, one step back; the original EVA designs have yet to be surpassed, IMO.

but that crown isn't working for me.

Crown or devils horns? Makes it look a little bit more satanic to me which I like. I doubt that they could ever surpass the original designs though.

I agree that the Eva's have a truly unique design, I think its the fact that they don't look like gridiron players in armour that really set them apart from a lot of other anime "robots". (Yes, I know that they're NOT robots).

Taksraven

I'm actually looking forward to this re-imagining of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as an anime story. I'm hopeful it will appeal to me more than the television series, which wasn't very good at all.

Eva had a GREAT story; you just have bad taste. :p

However, the mechanical design of NGE is something that was always first rate. The EVAs are easily some of the most innovative mechanical designs to come out of anime in the last 10 years. Having said that, I'm not crazy about these new variants. I like some of the new colors for Unit 02, but that crown isn't working for me. One step forward, one step back; the original EVA designs have yet to be surpassed, IMO.

I liked the color changes on the EVA-01 and 00 in the first movie...and I want to see the 02 in motion before I decide whether I like the changes or not.

But of course, I'm WAY more excited about the 05 and 06...I wonder when we'll get to see pics of those? :)

081tg8.jpg

I don't dig the new horns....it makes it look kinda campy....insectoid like a giant cockroach.

Hmmmmz, thats just badass. I LOVE the new horny Eva-02. Asuka is going to go off heaps in this flick. :D Gotta see it angry yet, with the eyes.

Revoltech and SPEC should be on their way soon enough.

I might still get the SPEC classic Eva-02 yet though...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Taksraven

Whatever they are, I don't like 'em :)

I love the gaunt, skeletal look of the Evangelions and the fractured, sectional style of the armor. It's incredibly innovative from a design perspective. I can see where the Oni elements appear and I see a lot of Mamoru Nagano's style in the torso/abdomen design of the Evangelions. It's good stuff; some of the best mechanical design in all of anime and right up there with Macross and Gundam.

Gubaba

Or very good taste :)

I think I'm most excited about the new Evangelions as well. Since there was never that many of them, it was a treat to see a new one.

NewType magazine scan showcasing the new EVA-02 design for next summer's "2.0: You Can (Not) Advance".

eva02va8.th.jpgthpix.gif

I like the use of more black but the white will take a bit of getting used to and I think the horns on the forehead would look a lot better if they were more swept back.

Nigouki's prog knife gets a redesign also. I think it looks better than the old box cutter.

Edited by IXTL

I'm not feeling the love for these new designs of old mecha. It's like they went, "Do the same with the old, only make it more xtreme! That would be like taking the Macross designs and redoing them with modern design ideas, like ulta-thin connections and very slender mecha. I will be looking forward to the new Evas, though. They should be neat.

I'm content with the series. The new designs are interesting interpretations; as the new movies might be. But at heart - I always love the first best...er...unless we're talking about Macross... but then see - Macross Frontier isn't a "re-imagining" but a continuation. But I guess NGE doesn't lend itself so well to continuations, since everybody is dead. Practically.

Pete

I'm not feeling the love for these new designs of old mecha. It's like they went, "Do the same with the old, only make it more xtreme! That would be like taking the Macross designs and redoing them with modern design ideas, like ulta-thin connections and very slender mecha. I will be looking forward to the new Evas, though. They should be neat.

They already did it years ago; called it Macross II.

"Macross, ahead of its time... to the EXTREME!!!111!". :lol:

Don't know about this one yet. Kinda follows the new super robot feel I got from the redesigned big sniper gun (liked the old one a lot better). I Liked the redeco on Eva-00 though.

More extreme? I'm not sure I see that in them...seems like it was really just adding a dash more color here and there. But glowing EVA-01 was pure awesomeness to me.

As far as the actual movie goes...yes, I'd agree that the fight scenes are all MUCH more extreme. Which is fine by me. The Evas in the TV show were kind of static a lot of the time, so I like seeing them jumping around, running, hunching their backs...I sure hope we get to see some Evas feeding soon. ^_^

I'm content with the series. The new designs are interesting interpretations; as the new movies might be. But at heart - I always love the first best...er...unless we're talking about Macross... but then see - Macross Frontier isn't a "re-imagining" but a continuation. But I guess NGE doesn't lend itself so well to continuations, since everybody is dead. Practically.

Pete

One of the best descriptions of the TV ending of Eva simply said "Everybody dies, and they all live happily ever after."

But no...an Eva sequel would just...not work. Maybe not as impossible as an Ideon sequel, but damn close.