Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

So I recently saw 1.0. I can now honestly say that I was quite underwhelmed and completely unsurprised. It seemed to be (more or less) a shot-for-shot remake of the original. Virtually nothing worthwhile seemed different at all, and the rushed pace did more harm than good in my opinion.

Oh, well. At least 2.0 seems to be different.

So I recently saw 1.0. I can now honestly say that I was quite underwhelmed and completely unsurprised. It seemed to be (more or less) a shot-for-shot remake of the original. Virtually nothing worthwhile seemed different at all, and the rushed pace did more harm than good in my opinion.

On DVD...I like it. But in the movie theater, it completely blew me away. Like..."walking-around-in-a-daze-for-several-hours-afterward" blown away.

I agree that a lot of it was a shot-for-shot remake, but it looked so much better. And then there were all the little differences that seem like they won't be so little by 2.0...

How could u describe Operation Yashima to be a shot for shot remake? :blink:

I must agree this looked FANTASTIC and I found the pacing much better then the TV series which at time bored me *ducks to avoid flames from die had TV series fans* :p

Hey, I'm a die-hard Eva TV series fan, and you'll get no flames from me...I thought the movie was great.

Although, if you found the show boring at times, then you definitely need to work on improving your attention span... :p

I much prefer the original movie & TV cuts where scenes were jumping back and forth, like one gigantic flashback of Shingi. The new movie is almost too straight forward to be an Eva. Also, they dropped a lot of Kanji graphic in favor of the new 3D CG. To me, the Kanji graphic was a signature element of the Eva series.

They also cut out my fav scene where Shinji meet Unit-01 for the first time in the cage - when Unit-01 went berserk and protected Shinji from the falling debris.

Edited by Mowe

I much prefer the original movie & TV cuts where scenes were jumping back and forth, like one gigantic flashback of Shingi. The new movie is almost too straight forward to be an Eva. Also, they dropped a lot of Kanji graphic in favor of the new 3D CG. To me, the Kanji graphic was a signature element of the Eva series.

They also cut out my fav scene where Shinji meet Unit-01 for the first time in the cage - when Unit-01 went berserk and protected Shinji from the falling debris.

What a narrow tightrope the Eva movies have to walk! First, CoryHolmes castigated the movie for being too much like the TV series...now, Mowe. if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're complaining that it wasn't similar enough to the TV series...

Hey, I'm a die-hard Eva TV series fan, and you'll get no flames from me...I thought the movie was great.

Although, if you found the show boring at times, then you definitely need to work on improving your attention span... :p

nah just some eps would feel so long and dragged out while other ones seemed much better paced. Maybe writing issues I dunno but especially towards the end with the infamous elevator scene stuff like that where your looking at the same thing whether it be a still frame or a slow movement to show a field which dialouge being spoken. Its just SO long that you NOTICE that you've been sitting there looking at the basically the same thing for a dumb amount of time. Kinda like in DBZ where the camera just rotates around the characters for a full minute

I was disappointed by that cut as well. Another scene I wish they left in was when Shinji was on the escalator reading his Nerv handbook on his way to meet Unit-01, and he passes by Unit-01's hand floating in LCL behind him.

You couldn't, because it wasn't. The first half of the movie was obviously shot for shot, but if the second half of the movie made it pretty clear things are going to be different.

On one hand as an Eva fan I know I'll go see the new movies no matter what, on the other hand it's really really lame they're remaking the same poo. Anno has had two chances to make this series, he doesn't need a third. They should be spending this money on something else.

I must agree this looked FANTASTIC and I found the pacing much better then the TV series which at time bored me *ducks to avoid flames from die had TV series fans* :p

Oh, no doubts about that. It was gorgeous, very beautifully animated with great attention to detail. It's just... I'd seen those stories already, which took a lot of the pretty away.

That would part of the "less" I referenced as a safeguard :D I enjoyed the animation, but I disliked how Ramiel kept changing shape. It looked damned spiffy, but I so despise it when characters/enemies so obviously pose and telegraph what they're going to do before they do it. One of the things I enjoyed about the TV series was how Ramiel didn't do that. When it wanted to shoot, a beam of energy just appeared and *bang* Enemy gone :)

What a narrow tightrope the Eva movies have to walk! First, CoryHolmes castigated the movie for being too much like the TV series...now, Mowe. if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're complaining that it wasn't similar enough to the TV series...

Very tight. So tight in fact it runs the risk of falling off it and ruining Eva forever! I mean, look at Transformers, Star Wars, Indiana Jones... all of them ruined forever, I say!

I was disappointed by that cut as well. Another scene I wish they left in was when Shinji was on the escalator reading his Nerv handbook on his way to meet Unit-01, and he passes by Unit-01's hand floating in LCL behind him.

I didn't evee realize what had happened there on my first three viewings of that episode. It wasn't until I got the first issue of the manga that I saw it, and then I had to go back and check and see that, yep, there was a hand behind him. That sort of subtlty is one of the things I love about the early half of the Eva series :D

Edited by CoryHolmes

(*PSSST* I don't know if it was a typo or a mistake, but it was actually the EVA-00's hand...)

Very tight. So tight in fact it runs the risk of falling off it and ruining Eva forever! I mean, look at Transformers, Star Wars, Indiana Jones... all of them ruined forever, I say!

:lol: Completely, vastly true...and ever since Porky's 3 came out, I can't watch 1 or 2 anymore...

Yes, I missed that floating hand scene as well, it was fantastic how the Eva creep up to the viewers. As CoryHolmes says, the new movie just lacked that sort of subtlety and artistry of the original.

The old Operation Yashima was clever and cheeky - I just loved how Misato got Rei's Unit-00 robbing the defense force of their positron cannon and turn an old space shuttle into a giant shield.

In comparison, the new Operation Yashima was lame and crude. Out of nowhere, they pulled out this purpose made positron riffle and ESV shield. I just don't like how the new movie became lazy with that sort of details.

That would part of the "less" I referenced as a safeguard :D I enjoyed the animation, but I disliked how Ramiel kept changing shape. It looked damned spiffy, but I so despise it when characters/enemies so obviously pose and telegraph what they're going to do before they do it. One of the things I enjoyed about the TV series was how Ramiel didn't do that. When it wanted to shoot, a beam of energy just appeared and *bang* Enemy gone :)

Well...it was spiffy as you said. Much better than a diamond shooting lasers i reckon. And the sound and shrieking it makes is so awesome especially in a movie theatre! There were some shapes that looked like it fired a higher output of energy beam than it normally does.

Yes, I missed that floating hand scene as well, it was fantastic how the Eva creep up to the viewers. As CoryHolmes says, the new movie just lacked that sort of subtlety and artistry of the original.

The old Operation Yashima was clever and cheeky - I just loved how Misato got Rei's Unit-00 robbing the defense force of their positron cannon and turn an old space shuttle into a giant shield.

In comparison, the new Operation Yashima was lame and crude. Out of nowhere, they pulled out this purpose made positron riffle and ESV shield. I just don't like how the new movie became lazy with that sort of details.

Well they did mention the half completed positron cannon was requisitioned from the JSDF so they had giant trucks to do it for them rather than use Unit 00 that was still out of commission at that point of time. The ESV came from nowhere.....guess its to sell toys.

I wouldn't call the movie lazy with those parts but its afterall trying to fit in 4-5 episodes into a movie length format. I thought it did well with the pacing. Btw about the hand coming out to protect Shinji scene not used, it might be because there's a difference in this universe compared to the TV series. Shinji wasn't powerful enough to "oversync" with EVA-01 at that point of time nor was Yui's conciousness that obvious, until probably the events that led to the 3rd impact.

Actually, I never quite worked out what happened with that first Beserk or the logic of how it happened. But from the view point of story telling, it was a very nice moment:

- to a first time viewer, you immediately sensed a bond existed between Shingi and unit-001 and you want to find out why, or

- to a second time viewer, you realize it was infact Shingi's mother trying to protect his son.

For these reasons, I thought it was a shame that it was left out from the remake.

Btw about the hand coming out to protect Shinji scene not used, it might be because there's a difference in this universe compared to the TV series. Shinji wasn't powerful enough to "oversync" with EVA-01 at that point of time nor was Yui's conciousness that obvious, until probably the events that led to the 3rd impact.

I just watched the TV series for the first time, and then EoE after that.

It's almost as though Shinji is Nekki Bassara without the Deux Ex Machina of Song Energy... Bassara's idealism is positive and energetic and upbeat precisely because music is the practical method of expressing his philosophy of life, his dreams and aspirations - music WORKS on his enemies, his friends- on everybody.... therefore - Bassara is not confined to simply negating (aka NOT fighting, NOT taking sides etc etc) - he can take positive action.

More - the result of his positive action is, at worse, that people will flee from his music.

Shinji is just like Bassara in terms of character and psychology - albeit without the music; and more importantly, without any positive means of not only expressing himself, but of positioning himself in the world...

I really like the character.

In fact, viz a viz Macross, it made me realize just how much I DISlike Hikaru Ijicho - who is just to "charming" - even if he occasionally cries over Kakizake's death, or wonders what he's doing here in life (oh yeah - protecting Minmey!)...

Shinji is far more sophisticated - anyways... not to get too far into it - but really really good stuff.

VFTF1

Shinji is far more sophisticated - anyways... not to get too far into it - but really really good stuff.

VFTF1

Er, what? Shinji is just a loser. He didn't do a damned thing by himself and the only thing he manages to accomplish is realizing that being a loser is okay. That's... kind of the whole point. He was Anno's middle finger to the Amuro stereotype of the hero who out grows his childish ways and takes control of his abilities. Shinji never does that, because he is not particularly exceptional. The point is, it's okay to be a loser. Not everyone can be Amuro.

Er, what? Shinji is just a loser. He didn't do a damned thing by himself and the only thing he manages to accomplish is realizing that being a loser is okay. That's... kind of the whole point. He was Anno's middle finger to the Amuro stereotype of the hero who out grows his childish ways and takes control of his abilities. Shinji never does that, because he is not particularly exceptional. The point is, it's okay to be a loser. Not everyone can be Amuro.

Yeah...single-handedly defeating most of the angels and (depending on how you look at it) eiher defeating or fulfilling instrumentality are certainly loser-ish, aren't they?

I don't read it that way, although I can see where you might derive this opinion.

The way I see it, everyone ELSE surrounding Shinji is a loser: His dad is a loser because he thinks manipulation, politics and the quest for Godhood are more important than being happy with your loving wife and kid, the kids in school are losers (in the beginning) because they don't even think about Shinji as a human being thrust into a horrible situation, but just presume to blame him for the civilian casualties...the list goes on.

In fact, there are very few human beings who aren't losers - Misato being one of them, her boyfriend being another: these are people who know that the world is a place of deception and cruelty and they do what they can to survive; always looking to carve out a little piece of happiness amidst the storm. But they are few and far between.

They also have the pathos of distance with them - something Shinji lacks. Shinji can't divide his public from his private self; he can't "play his part" in the mess of human existence while also finding something happy in his private life. He rebels against this division - the hypocracy of it that everyone seems to take for granted - he is, in this sense, the most heroic of anime heroes - because the other ones who "outgrow" their childhood and become "men" actually just become bigger children (if childishness is understood to be a kind of escapism from reality). Shinji never escapes reality - he faces it constantly.

So, he's not a "loser" - he's a big time winner - he is, in a world of losers and lunatics - a human voice crying out for sanity.

In fact, the nice family life we see inthe final episodes of the series underscores this. This is the kind of life that makes Shinji, his mom, Asuka, and his Dad happy fulfilled humans - the kind of life they all rejected in favor of insane hubris.

Shinji is the best anime hero because he says "no" to joining the fray - that he literally has to be dragged into his EVA in EOE is proof of it. He doesn't want to save humanity because humanity is the final angel: humanity is the enemy: humanity deserves to die because it is not worth saving.

Not even for the few humans Shinji loves - because that would save everything else - including what is horrible in mankind.

So, it's not a rebellion against the hero stereotype in favor of the "loser emo" type - it's a higher type of hero; one who is extraordinary in that he faces brutal reality and makes no attempt to find grounding in the void.

VFTF1

I think there is a bit of Shinji in most of us. On our bad days, we run away from problems like a loser. On better days, we face the problems like a grown-up. I kind of like that element of Shinji as a character.

But I have to admit, Shinji is exceptionally annoying to watch, in that he whines and screams like a little brat for the entire 26 eps...you kind of wish he would grow up in earlier episodes like Simon did in Gurren Laggan. I love to see Unit-01 piloted by Simon and goes berserk with GAR.

I don't read it that way, although I can see where you might derive this opinion.

The way I see it, everyone ELSE surrounding Shinji is a loser: His dad is a loser because he thinks manipulation, politics and the quest for Godhood are more important than being happy with your loving wife and kid, the kids in school are losers (in the beginning) because they don't even think about Shinji as a human being thrust into a horrible situation, but just presume to blame him for the civilian casualties...the list goes on.

In fact, there are very few human beings who aren't losers - Misato being one of them, her boyfriend being another: these are people who know that the world is a place of deception and cruelty and they do what they can to survive; always looking to carve out a little piece of happiness amidst the storm. But they are few and far between.

They also have the pathos of distance with them - something Shinji lacks. Shinji can't divide his public from his private self; he can't "play his part" in the mess of human existence while also finding something happy in his private life. He rebels against this division - the hypocracy of it that everyone seems to take for granted - he is, in this sense, the most heroic of anime heroes - because the other ones who "outgrow" their childhood and become "men" actually just become bigger children (if childishness is understood to be a kind of escapism from reality). Shinji never escapes reality - he faces it constantly.

So, he's not a "loser" - he's a big time winner - he is, in a world of losers and lunatics - a human voice crying out for sanity.

In fact, the nice family life we see inthe final episodes of the series underscores this. This is the kind of life that makes Shinji, his mom, Asuka, and his Dad happy fulfilled humans - the kind of life they all rejected in favor of insane hubris.

Shinji is the best anime hero because he says "no" to joining the fray - that he literally has to be dragged into his EVA in EOE is proof of it. He doesn't want to save humanity because humanity is the final angel: humanity is the enemy: humanity deserves to die because it is not worth saving.

Not even for the few humans Shinji loves - because that would save everything else - including what is horrible in mankind.

So, it's not a rebellion against the hero stereotype in favor of the "loser emo" type - it's a higher type of hero; one who is extraordinary in that he faces brutal reality and makes no attempt to find grounding in the void.

VFTF1

man VFTF1 that was really deep! :blink:

man VFTF1 that was really deep! blink.gif

Yeah...

too bad I LIED!!! AHAHAHAHAH!!! Shinji is an emo jerk off creep!!! The whole anime sucks!! Be a Man Shinji!

Any DVD store in Japan... tongue.gif

So...what's the cheapest way to get to a DVD store in Japan?

VFTF1

So...what's the cheapest way to get to a DVD store in Japan?

VFTF1

With a rubber boat and a paddle.

But if your are remotely serious about going to Japan. Budget airlines or early bookings are pretty much the best option. I don't know much about the States, but in Europe Scandinavian Airlines is offering cheap flights and Jetstar in Australia is a budget airline who flies on Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Evangleion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. Coming in 2009.

Asuka and the mystery girl are the new additions this time around.

1223257019574.png

Summer? SUMMER??? Damn...It's gonna be a while before they finish this series, isn't it? <_<

So we've got "You are (not) alone" and "You can (not) advance." What's the last one going to be? "You will (not) make a coherent ending"...? ^_^

Hummm...is Redant a new player to the anime DVD market in Australia?? I suppose competition is good but I hope they take anime seriously and push out decently presented titles.

YAY, Red Ant in Australia is going to be releasing a subtitled version of the first Rebuild movie, NEXT MONTH, YAY!!!

http://www.red-ant.com.au/ProductFamily.as...c1=283&md=4

Taksraven

Edited by Mowe