PS2 Macross High Scores

xsjado

i finally beat Macross for PS2. the last ARMD level took me a ridiculously long time to beat with an "S" rank. i'll post my game score when i get home (somewhere around 516k methinks), but in the meantime i was wondering if anyone knew of a comparable game. Macross was by far the most fun i've ever had with a video game. it was just challenging enough that i did not breeze through, but easy enough that i accomplished every goal it a decent amount of time. the actual gameplay was very intuitive and graphics were clear enough that multiple enemies were not a confusing mess. the numerous options for valkyries and methods of killing opponents kept the game from getting stale. i rate this as the most fun i've ever had playing a video game. are there any flying games (no straight simulators) or mecha games that compare in the above aspects? i have both the us and japanese ps2. if you recommend a japanese game, it has to be something that is fairly easy to figure out on visuals alone as i can read & speak english only.

thanks!

i was wondering if anyone knew of a comparable game.

I don't think so. This question is kinda like asking: "Will any series ever be comparable to Macross?"--because while there may be series or games that would be "comparable," that term can easily be abused. I honestly don't think that anything beyond a series going purposely "to be like Macross" will ever fit that mould, and in turn, no game would do the same.

are there any flying games (no straight simulators) or mecha games that compare in the above aspects?

For mecha fans, I reccomend the Armored Core series; for flight fans, Ace Combat series is the way to go. Neither are straight simulators, primarily because of the amount of ammunition that a single ship can carry (especially in Ace Combat's case), thus allowing it to take-on veritable armies of foes, and also amounts of armour that allow the unit to take several hits before actually being destroyed.

But like I said, SEGA's Macross game is incomparable. I haven't played Another Century's Episode 2, but I played the first, and while the story and mecha were awesome, the same sense of danger/urgency was never there.

Ace Combat yeah and Armored Core only if you can find the games cheap. They're ok but the stiff controls, sluggish action and lack of interactivity with your surroundings really hurt the series. I'm not sure about the PS3/360 versions though.

and my Macross PS2 score is 100 zillion points :blink:

actually I do have S rankings on all the missions. And without using a cheat device or someone else's game save B))