Zentraedi Regult

chrono

I decided to attempt a mecha this time around.

I surprisingly didn't have to do a lot of reference digging for this project because the concept books and art books have nearly every aspect of it covered and available. I did have to scan some higher resolution images in, but that was easy.

The tough part is that it's ALL perspective and getting the proportions nailed down is gonna be a freaking blast! And that's what I'm roughing out right now.

*curses Kawamori*

The pod only image is where I am at right now so if you see anything 'off' go ahead and tell me, I'll see what I can do to correct it.

post-2410-1176829302_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176829371_thumb.jpg

Very good start , chrono

Reminds me of a mould for a bar soap I once did .... I redid my regult 13 time :)

13! :blink: Holy crud!!! I'm only on my 3rd pod build... :o

How did you resolve the leg-junction-pod issue? Did you model it so that it's fixed or so it rotates?

Why are you cursing Kawamori? Isn't the Regult a Miyatake design?

It was a joke, just roll with it

And it's Kawamori's alright.

Miyatake specializes with sharp corners and did much of the background structures(he's very much an industrial concept designer if you study his work you can virtually spot every bit of his work in any anime) Kawamori did many of the softer designs and 'hero' vehicles.

Chrono, great initiative as always. It will be a beautiful model.

As far as constructive criticism: When comparing to your line art image, does the pod need a little more upkick and/or broadness at the bottom, where the lower set of beam cannons are located? Maybe a little deeper radius between the 'eye' and the aft-facing laser cannons? How about a more pronounced flare at the hem above the legs?

Just my random thoughts. I know that you'll do it justice.

As far as constructive criticism: When comparing to your line art image, does the pod need a little more upkick and/or broadness at the bottom, where the lower set of beam cannons are located? Maybe a little deeper radius between the 'eye' and the aft-facing laser cannons? How about a more pronounced flare at the hem above the legs?

Just my random thoughts. I know that you'll do it justice.

Hmmm you had me thinking last night/thi morning about those points, so I made some clearer renders. I think that I do agree with you on some of those points, but since the concept art is so different in some areas(thickness of the bottom, upkick, and hem areas) I may have to go halfway between in order to keep building the model. :unsure: Take a look at the new renders.

Rodavan, Fixed uh... I think that I'll punt and make it fixed excepting that the 'knees' & feet do the pivoting. But it gives me a valid reason to pop the Macross discs back in the player. :)

BTW, if it seems like I'm being attention whore-ish/anal about this, it's because I'd like to also build the cockpit and the pod's shape influences the rest of the build's scale. So I'd like to get it nearly 'perfect' before I move to other areas of the model.

post-2410-1176924041_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176924072_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176924102_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176924136_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176924243_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176924285_thumb.jpg

Hmmm you had me thinking last night/thi morning about those points, so I made some clearer renders. I think that I do agree with you on some of those points, but since the concept art is so different in some areas(thickness of the bottom, upkick, and hem areas) I may have to go halfway between in order to keep building the model. :unsure: Take a look at the new renders.

Thanks for posting those up. I think that you'd be much better off following Rodavan's advice than mine, as I wouldn't know a 3D mesh if it came up and bit me in the arse. I can completely understand his mentioning that the humps make a big difference in the perception of the overall shape.

Your other renders show your Regult's proportions much better, and perhaps the width down at the bottom isn't too far off just as you have it. I do still think that the upper curvature/radius of the pod could be a little shallower, in that, from a side view, the 'forehead' (for lack of a better word. 'Carapace'?) could slope back a bit more gently... But again, these are just my unedumacated ramblings, so please take with a grain of salt.

Again, looking forward to more WIP shots!

• 7 months later...

Digging up the dead.... :lol: .... but I figure that this is as good a place to post this question as any.

After a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG bout of just not wanting to do anything in 3D, EMO'ing, and getting seriously PO'D at this project I'm back on the 'horse' as it were.

However I have a question. I've been working on the side thrusters (of the BP), and specifically the exhaust ports. Are they round or square in shape? I've seen both and it's really not that clear, so I'm looking for opinions. Also if someone has some pictures of their BP's I'd like the links, especially if they are taken from a bottom looking up.

Here's some wires for your troubles....

post-2410-1197913366_thumb.jpg

There's this website that some guy did called the Macross Mecha Manual. It's got fairly accurate stuff and some really nice pictures. Here's his Glaug entry:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/SDF%20Macross/glaug.htm

I wonder if the guy ever visits the MacrossWorld forums? :);):p

Hehehehe

Nah! His stuff is all from the RPG games, not accurate at all.... :p