The All Things Video Games Thread!

GameTrailers.com's 10 Worst Game Consoles of All-Time

Now, this is a rather debatable topic, as nearly half of the systems listed are vaporware. And I can't imagine some of them being worse than the Virtual Boy.

ScrewAttack's Best and Worst Peripherals of All-Time

You won't believe what they picked as their #1 best peripheral.

Edited by areaseven

GameTrailers.com's 10 Worst Game Consoles of All-Time

Now, this is a rather debatable topic, as nearly half of the systems listed are vaporware. And I can't imagine some of them being worse than the Virtual Boy.

ScrewAttack's Best and Worst Peripherals of All-Time

You won't believe what they picked as their #1 best peripheral.

Worst consoles is easy. Studio 2. Channel F. Studio 2. Odyssey 1. Studio 2. Odyssey 2. Studio 2.

There's simply no way anything can be worse than the raw unbridled SUCK of the Studio 2.

Their list starts with a system that never even existed? Sheesh.

SegaCD was the hot thing back in the day. It only gets crapped on now due to the post-Saturn pro-Nintendo revision of history.

I also feel obliged to point out that. much like the Phantom, neither the SegaCD nor the 32x were actually consoles.

And their history of the SegaCD is both the first part I've listened to beyond the system names, and excellent evidence they know NOTHING about what they're talking about.

They're comparing different time periods on the CDX VS Genesis+SegaCD pricing, forgot the CDX was also a portable CD player at a time when the Discman cost a good bit of cash, and completely skipped the SegaCD2. Yup, the SegaCD did SO bad that Sega invested EVEN MORE money in redesigning the hardware so they could sell a sleeker sexier version to go alongside the sleeker sexier Genesis 2.

THE 32X WASN'T CD-BASED! Though it WAS a disaster of almost comical proportions. Hell, the first games weren't available until a week after it launched. Only reason IT shouldn't be there is it wasn't a console.

The VB was a DAMN fine system. It's one of gaming's great tragedies that it was killed so early on.

I own one. Got it on clearance. Got a second one when some dipshit broke into my house and knocked my first VB on the floor, throwing the displays out of alignment.

Of course, before it even launched it'd been labelled as a "red gameboy", and it never shook that reputation. Despite being able to eat the GameBoy for breakfast, AND being the only 3D game system EVER.

Jaguar wasn't THAT bad, though it was far from the best. It actually has a good ratio of not-sucky games. The library's just incredibly small. The controller... is a Genesis controller with an option pad tacked on. Big whoop. It's not like you were REQUIRED to use the phone pad during normal gameplay, and it's a great place to stick secondary controls like, I dunno, weapon selection?

ANYONE that would use Jag Alien VS Predator in this video AT ALL, much less while talking about the worst exclusives of all time, has NO fartING CLUE what they're doing, given that's widely considered one of 2 must-have titles on the Jag(the other being the legendary acid trip shooter, Tempest 2000).

Again, it's a nice system that should've done a lot better. And it's noteworthy that the Jag's hardware design has been ripped off by modern systems, which have turned the video chipset into a full processor(Jag was doing pixel shaders in 1993. Think about that.)

5200.... is ALSO a damn fine system. That DID do better. 7800 is a better system to use for this, and there's far worse than that too.

<peeve>

For God's sake! The controllers aren't THAT bad, and certainly DON'T define the system. The software library is quite good, and quite playable with the stock controllers.

Honestly, if we're gonna rip apart consoles solely because they have bad controllers, then let's trash the ColecoVision, which is far worse in that regard. Or the NES, for that matter(seriously, it's a HORRIBLE controller design).

</peeve>

Most of their RZone imagery is Saturn video(or the Game.Com shots they actually identified, which I'm pretty sure was AFTER RZone). Personally, I'd've ripped apart the Game.Com instead, given it was more of a "real" console, while the RZone was a Game&Watch with delusions of grandeur.

About the only thing I can really say for the video is it doesn't name the Saturn or Dreamcast on it's walk of shame, and uses a Vectrex for the title sequence. Vectrex is love.

I think I've said everything worth saying...

The gaming history nerd has spoken. Complete with his personal bias towards the crimson and feline ones.

Second video only has one real sin, and that's the omission of the NES Advantage.

I agree, while the Sega CD did suffer from some bad decisions (i.e. FMV), it also had some of the best games on any sega system.

-Sonic CD

-Snatcher

-Lunar 1 & 2

-Popful Mail

-Flink

& a pretty decent console port of Wing Commander. And the 32X was cart based, but they did release a few (sadly FMV) disc's that utilized both the 32X & the Sega CD. Though the 32X remains as one of the most useless pieces of hardware in all of gaming, it did strangely improve the resolution (slightly) of pre-existing genesis/SCD games.

Now if Sega had actually backed the Sega CD with something other than FMV crap, it would have done much better. Phantasy Star IV was screaming to be a Sega CD title, but sega was too foolish to port it.

The 5200 was also far superior to the 2600, though the Joysticks did have a near 100% fail rate, and always burned out after a while.

I agree, while the Sega CD did suffer from some bad decisions (i.e. FMV), it also had some of the best games on any sega system.

-Sonic CD

-Snatcher

-Lunar 1 & 2

-Popful Mail

-Flink

LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember having fun with Sewer Shark, desite it being an FMV game, but that could just be defective memories. I don't have it, so it's been years since I even saw it running.

Hmmm, maybe I should burn a copy... gogo gadget lack of copy-protection!

& a pretty decent console port of Wing Commander. And the 32X was cart based, but they did release a few (sadly FMV) disc's that utilized both the 32X & the Sega CD. Though the 32X remains as one of the most useless pieces of hardware in all of gaming, it did strangely improve the resolution (slightly) of pre-existing genesis/SCD games.

Exactly 3 32x CD games exist. At least the 32x's additional graphics chip allowed for a reasonable color depth, so they didn't look quite so much like .... well, words fail me when it comes to SCD FMV.

The resolution improvement, while nice, actually depends on what the 32x was mated to.

It's a result of the 32x using a better NTSC encoder than later Genesises... Genesees... Genesii.... US MEGADRIVES!

The 32x is passed video in it's native RGB format, and is solely responsible for the NTSC encoding, even in base-system or SegaCD games.

The earlier revisions of the Genesis feature similarly sharp images. Sadly, they also lack stereo sound except through the headphone port, which has low audio quality. And if for some strange reason you use RGB output, there's no difference between base-system and 32x-passthrough video, regardless of what revision you have.

Now if Sega had actually backed the Sega CD with something other than FMV crap, it would have done much better. Phantasy Star IV was screaming to be a Sega CD title, but sega was too foolish to port it.

A graphics chip in the SegaCD would've been nice too. One of it's failings is it didn't add any layers or color depth over the base Genesis visuals like the 32x did later. So it wasn't quite the SNES-killer it was meant to be(SNES' primary advantages being absolutely amazing graphics and sound for the era, though it was hobbled by a weak CPU).

And yah, PS4 on SCD would've been awesome. 2 servings of awesome, in fact. With a side of amazing.

The 5200 was also far superior to the 2600, though the Joysticks did have a near 100% fail rate, and always burned out after a while.

Oh yeah, the joysticks ARE the achilles heel. I LIKE them and admit they're flakey and unreliable as originally designed.

I just get sick of hearing about them(it's MOST of the 5200 discussion over at AtariAge, and a lot of people's ONLY reason to not like the 5200). Especially since they aren't any worse than the Intellivision or ColecoVision's.

And it DOES have other flaws, like being a 3-year-old chipset when it was released. :p Though it actually stood up well to the Intellivision and ColecoVision.

It's still a nice system that never even gets a chance from a modern perspective.

It's also well as the only platform to have a Space Dungeon port, and the BEST port of Qix(retro compilations really change things sometimes, as both games now have "arcade-perfect" emulations on the PS2 and PSP, though I think only Japan has Space Dungeon). It's one of my two favorite 1st-era systems, with the other being the Vectrex.

The Dreamcast was likely excluded from the top ten list because of the success of the Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series and the fact the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur was even better than the already much lauded arcade version.

Some of those peripherals were just so tragic you have to wonder what the hell these companies were thinking. They probably got the wool pulled over their eyes by some guy who promised it could be done...for a very impressive price. Then the guy delivers something that doesn't even work and the console company has no choice but to release it to recoup some of their lost investment.

The Dreamcast was likely excluded from the top ten list because of the success of the Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series and the fact the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur was even better than the already much lauded arcade version.

Just like AVP and Tempest 2000 kept the Jag off the list?

Yeah... they just new better than to stir up THAT nest of bees. They'd never see the end of the fanboy hate mail if they said bad things about the Dreamcast.

Some of those peripherals were just so tragic you have to wonder what the hell these companies were thinking. They probably got the wool pulled over their eyes by some guy who promised it could be done...for a very impressive price. Then the guy delivers something that doesn't even work and the console company has no choice but to release it to recoup some of their lost investment.

The Power Glove WORKED. The big problem with it was that wrapped a fully 3D motion-tracking controller to 6 digital buttons doesn't work well.

Where the Power Glove DID find use was on PCs. A LOT of the gloves sold were converted to computer VR gloves.

Laser Scope... I've heard good things about before. Vintage reviews said it was absurdly precise. The big problem is... well, it's a zapper. There's maybe a dozen games you can use it on, and you likely only owned Duck Hunt.

But heck, those were 3rd-party products anyways.

If you meant the 32x... that was INTENTIONALLY sabotaged by Sega Japan. It's the crown jewel of an inter-division war that nearly killed the company.

Just like AVP and Tempest 2000 kept the Jag off the list?

Yeah... they just new better than to stir up THAT nest of bees. They'd never see the end of the fanboy hate mail if they said bad things about the Dreamcast.

That's exactly my point. The relative popularity of the fan following for something like the AVP title on the Jaguar can't even compare to that of the Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series on the Dreamcast. There's also the fact that for it's first year, the Dreamcast was a major success with large sales and solid games in both North America and Japan (plus the Dreamcast maintained success in Japan where games and consoles were still sold up to just this year). If they did go after the Dreamcast, it would make them look even more blatantly stupid than what your post has already done to them :)

That's exactly my point. The relative popularity of the fan following for something like the AVP title on the Jaguar can't even compare to that of the Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series on the Dreamcast. There's also the fact that for it's first year, the Dreamcast was a major success with large sales and solid games in both North America and Japan (plus the Dreamcast maintained success in Japan where games and consoles were still sold up to just this year). If they did go after the Dreamcast, it would make them look even more blatantly stupid than what your post has already done to them :)

I thought the DC was subject to the same revisionism as the rest of Sega's work(people will argue the GENESIS was a massive failure).

I've been told the DC had "no good games."

Mention Soul Caliber, they stare blankly for a minute, and go "Okay, it had ONE good game!"

I figure it's more the DC and Saturn fans are a lot louder than, say, Jaguar fans. They didn't want to wade through the hate mail naming either of those would've gotten them(though Saturn was probably closer to inclusion).

And the world's only Virtual Boy fan isn't gonna e-mail them.

But seriously.... Studio 2!

Let's be honest. I LIKE the Virtual Boy. I can find GOOD points to the 32x. I at least respect the Odyssey's place in history, if not the actual system.

When I can't find a good thing to say about a system, you KNOW it's bad.

Mention Soul Calibur, they stare blankly for a minute, and go "Okay, it had ONE good game!"

As a former Dreamcast owner, I have to say that whoever told you that didn't spend much time with the system. It's true that Soul Calibur helped boost the DC's initial sales. But there were other solid games such as Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Tennis. Yes, there were bad games on the DC, but go ahead and name me a system that doesn't have a bad game.

Now, I did actually buy Shenmue, but I never finished it, as I got bored halfway. Instead, I spent the last of my DC days playing Sega Bass Fishing (I even bought the fishing rod controller for it!).

I don't really care all that much either way. If they wanted to piss all over the Dreamcast, that would have been their own problem. I enjoyed my Dreamcast for the game that I bought it for, which is more than can be said for some purchases I've made in my gaming life. I only buy consoles for one or two games anyway. My days of hardcore gaming to the point of buying dozens of titles every few months never lasted very long. After that, I purchased just a few games every year and that's pretty much the pattern I've held ever since my late teens. I'm not interested in "keeping up" with gaming, I just want to play quality games. Some years are better than others :)

Edited by Mr March

SegaCD was the hot thing back in the day. It only gets crapped on now due to the post-Saturn pro-Nintendo revision of history.

I also feel obliged to point out that. much like the Phantom, neither the SegaCD nor the 32x were actually consoles.

And their history of the SegaCD is both the first part I've listened to beyond the system names, and excellent evidence they know NOTHING about what they're talking about.

They're comparing different time periods on the CDX VS Genesis+SegaCD pricing, forgot the CDX was also a portable CD player at a time when the Discman cost a good bit of cash, and completely skipped the SegaCD2. Yup, the SegaCD did SO bad that Sega invested EVEN MORE money in redesigning the hardware so they could sell a sleeker sexier version to go alongside the sleeker sexier Genesis 2.

THE 32X WASN'T CD-BASED! Though it WAS a disaster of almost comical proportions. Hell, the first games weren't available until a week after it launched. Only reason IT shouldn't be there is it wasn't a console.

That part of the video I think was to harp on that Sega got carried away with all of these hardware attachments for the Genesis/Mega Drive; it wasn't a singled out attack on the Sega CD. I am pretty confident that many out there agree that the combined package of the Sega CD, 32X, CDX, Neptune, and all their variations helped play in the eventual downfall of Sega as a console manufacturer.

ANYONE that would use Jag Alien VS Predator in this video AT ALL, much less while talking about the worst exclusives of all time, has NO fartING CLUE what they're doing, given that's widely considered one of 2 must-have titles on the Jag(the other being the legendary acid trip shooter, Tempest 2000).

Again, it's a nice system that should've done a lot better. And it's noteworthy that the Jag's hardware design has been ripped off by modern systems, which have turned the video chipset into a full processor(Jag was doing pixel shaders in 1993. Think about that.)

Putting in footage of Alien vs. Predator was not a good choice in building up the case on why the system sucked, but when it comes down to it AVP, Tempest 2000, and maybe two or 3 other games were worth getting and that's about it. When it came down to the whole Jaguar experience, the Jaguar plain sucked, no ifs ands or buts. :)

About the only thing I can really say for the video is it doesn't name the Saturn or Dreamcast on it's walk of shame,

Dude, you got to be crazy. You just spent a paragraph propping up the Jaguar, but yet you bring these two systems down? Both of these systems were the home to many of hundreds of games as opposed to what, a few dozen or so on the Jaguar? Unlike the Jaguar, both the Saturn and Dreamcast had dozens if not hundreds of first class games in ALL genres, not just one or two good games period. The Saturn was flawed in that it was the ultimate 2D machine with 3D capabilities tacked on and the Dreamcast worst flaw is that it came out a year too late (they should have gotten the US version released in 1998 instead of September 1999), but still these were systems that did decently (especially in Japan) and both systems continue to have buzz amongst gamers to this day.

As a former Dreamcast owner, I have to say that whoever told you that didn't spend much time with the system. It's true that Soul Calibur helped boost the DC's initial sales. But there were other solid games such as Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Tennis. Yes, there were bad games on the DC, but go ahead and name me a system that doesn't have a bad game.

I know.

Personally, I'd add Mars Matrix to the list.

It's just amazing how quickly the system's reputation got turned around in the eyes of the masses after it was killed.

That part of the video I think was to harp on that Sega got carried away with all of these hardware attachments for the Genesis/Mega Drive; it wasn't a singled out attack on the Sega CD. I am pretty confident that many out there agree that the combined package of the Sega CD, 32X, CDX, Neptune, and all their variations helped play in the eventual downfall of Sega as a console manufacturer.

I think it was just taking potshots at Sega because "LOL TEH SEGACD AM SUX!111 32X AM ROFL!1111"

Sega only made 2 expansions. One of which was intended to be their next-gen system(at least, that's what Sega Japan told Sega America when Sega America started developing the 32x, JUST so the american branch would look like idiots when the Saturn was announced a day after the 32x was unveiled. Yes, the America/Japan infighting was THAT messed up.).

Neptune never got out of the prototype stage, and was nothing more than a Genny with a built-in 32x.

Given Sega America was told the 32x would be Sega's next-gen system, it made good sense to offer an all-in-one 32x console alongside the upgrade component for existing Genesis owners.

As far as major Genesis revisions that made it to production during the system's life, you have the Genesis, Genesis 2, CDX, and Nomad.

There's also the X'Eye, but that was manufactured by JVC(apparently they licensed the hardware to JVC to get a discount on SegaCD components), and wasn't sold in large quantities.

Genesis 3 was post-Saturn, and manufactured by Majesco, not Sega. It was a mild rebirth of the system, smaller than even the CDX, and... plagued by quality control issues. But hey, it was cheap.

2 major revisions is standard in the console industry.

The Nomad was a good idea, hindered by poor battery life(much like the TurboExpress, only with a larger software library).

CDX was a deliciously tiny combo unit that also functioned as a portable CD player at a time when such devices were uncommon and expensive. And a great option for people that didn't own a Genesis, and wanted to go straight to full SegaCD.

But it was all cosmetic anyways.

They all played the exact same Genesis games. And with the exception of the Genesis 3 and Nomad, could play the exact same SegaCD and 32x games.

Putting in footage of Alien vs. Predator was not a good choice in building up the case on why the system sucked, but when it comes down to it AVP, Tempest 2000, and maybe two or 3 other games were worth getting and that's about it. When it came down to the whole Jaguar experience, the Jaguar plain sucked, no ifs ands or buts. :)

The Jaguar library isn't half as bad as it's made out to be. It's easy to say bad things about a system with a library of roughly 50 when about half of those suck, but really... half of it's games don't suck. How many systems can you say that about? Probably a lot less than you think.

And it was quite impressive hardware in it's day.

The Cybermorph pack-in, despite being crapped on regularly now, absolutely blew the doors off ANYTHING the SNES or Genesis could offer. It's not the greatest game ever, but it IS damned impressive for a game released ion 1993.

Besides, no system with Worms can truly suck. :p

Dude, you got to be crazy. You just spent a paragraph propping up the Jaguar, but yet you bring these two systems down? Both of these systems were the home to many of hundreds of games as opposed to what, a few dozen or so on the Jaguar? Unlike the Jaguar, both the Saturn and Dreamcast had dozens if not hundreds of first class games in ALL genres, not just one or two good games period. The Saturn was flawed in that it was the ultimate 2D machine with 3D capabilities tacked on and the Dreamcast worst flaw is that it came out a year too late (they should have gotten the US version released in 1998 instead of September 1999), but still these were systems that did decently (especially in Japan) and both systems continue to have buzz amongst gamers to this day.

I KNOW both systems were good.

It's a comment on how bad the video's selection was that I EXPECTED to see the Saturn.

I said it was a GOOD thing they didn't show up, and was probably the only good thing I COULD say about the video.

The Saturn's big flaw was actually that it was a monstrous beast that was both expensive to make and difficult to program for.

2 CPUs, 2 GPUs, and 3 more processors in the wings(2 in the sound system and 1 more processor designated as a CD controller), all handled in raw assembly. Compounding matters was the fact that the twin CPUs didn't have their own memory. So whenever one was reading or writing to RAM, the other couldn't do anything.

The PS1, by comparison, was delightfully easy to code for, and this was made easier by the fact that Sony was the first company to include C libraries with devkits.

That and Sega'd been abusing developers almost as badly as Nintendo was in the NES days.

PS1 was also cheap to manufacture, and Sony was turning a profit at every stage of the price war while Sega was bleeding red ink on every Saturn sold when they attempted to keep up.

Saturn actually outperformed the PS1 in 3D as well as 2D, in many cases.

But Sony pushed 3D aggressively, making the PS1 library heavily weighted towards 3D, and the Saturn's more balanced library combined with Sony's marketing left the impression that Sega focused on 2D because they COULDN'T do 3D.

The early PS1 titles looked FAR worse than the Saturn's 3D games did.

In conclusion: No system sucks. Except the Studio 2.

The Dreamcast had few good *US* games. If you imported, there's tons of cool stuff. If you like SNK/Capcom 2D fighters, it's the best console ever for sheer number. (Though I'd argue the Staturn was better for quality). My import DC games outnumber my entire GC and 360 libraries combined. And Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram is still sheer bliss and will never be equaled. (Though so complicated that when you pick it up again after not playing for months and months, you really, really suck and can't remember any of the moves). I still leave my DC in my room by my TV, though it's not hooked up often. (It swaps cables with the DVD player when needed)

Ahh, all this talk of Sega. Makes me remember my days of being unhealthily devoted to my Sega consoles. I had:

Master System - I still recall Outrun, Phantasy Star, and Afterburner on this little system.

Genesis - Sega's Golden Era?

CDX

Saturn

Dreamcast

I was loyal until the end to Sega ^_^

Regarding the CDX, there were a number of games I adored from the SegaCD format. Shining Force had a sequel in this format also, which I enjoyed. Lunar I & II and Snatcher still come readily to mind. I was hugely disappointed when Konami / Hideo Kojima didn't bother to release the sequel for Snatcher in the USA, Policenauts, despite it already having been released in Japan.

As for the days of the late-Genesis, CDX, 32x, I was quite hesitant, especially with the 32x. I already spent a good amount of money on the CDX. The library I had for it was still pretty new when the 32x hit, not to mention there were a number of late-Genesis games that I still played on the CDX.

The Saturn? In my barracks room, my roommate had a Playstation and I had the Saturn. They were both great systems. But really, the sheer amount of games pushed by Sony was amazing. Alot were crap, just like any system, but I think the chances of more quality games was there because of the sheer number. US releases for the Saturn were sparse. But I still recall that 2D games were the best on the Saturn. I still remember seeing reviews for Street Fighter Alpha 2, that between the Saturn and PS versions, the Saturn's was far superior. But Sony knew how to wage a console war, and boy did they win BIG against both Sega and Nintendo.

I had Twinsticks, but actually found many moves easier with the controller. The twinsticks basically allow a "slight variation" in moving at an angle that experts use--but make many other moves much more difficult. I sold my twinsticks having not used them much. Plus they take up a ton of space.

PS--Saturn is the best 2D system ever. Even the DC can't do a 2D fighting game as well. X-Men vs Street Fighter is probably my all-time fave, along with Darkstalkers 2. Could play them forever.

I had Twinsticks, but actually found many moves easier with the controller. The twinsticks basically allow a "slight variation" in moving at an angle that experts use--but make many other moves much more difficult. I sold my twinsticks having not used them much. Plus they take up a ton of space.

PS--Saturn is the best 2D system ever. Even the DC can't do a 2D fighting game as well. X-Men vs Street Fighter is probably my all-time fave, along with Darkstalkers 2. Could play them forever.

To be honest, I've only ever played VO in the arcades.

So it just seems WRONG to play it with a gamepad.

And yah.... Saturn, especially with a RAM cart, is an absurd 2D powerhouse. Puts a lot of arcade systems to shame.

I wonder if Saturn or CPS3 wins in that regard...

Guess it doesn't really matter since CPS3 only got 5 games, and three of them were Street Fighter 3.

nstead, I spent the last of my DC days playing Sega Bass Fishing (I even bought the fishing rod controller for it!).

I still have a Dreamcast, and I still dig out my fishing controller to play Sega Marine Fishing... which was a lot like Bass Fishing, except you could catch sharks.

The Dreamcast had few good *US* games.

Unless you mean few good US games as in few good games from American studios, I have to disagree with you. Even in America, the Dreamcast had plenty of great games, especially from Sega.

Some of my favorites include Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Sega Marine Fishing, Dead or Alive 2, Space Channel 5, Samba de Amigo, Seaman, Hydro Thunder, Sega Rally Championship 2, Crazy Taxi, Cannon Spike, Confidential Mission, and Air Force Delta. And yeah, it's true that some of those games might not have held up super well, but (excluding Hydro Thunder) they were all great experiences that none of the other consoles offered at the time. (And the DC version of Hydro Thunder was head and shoulders better than the PSX or N64 versions.

I'm saying, out of all the good DC games, there were far fewer available in the US than Japan. Sure, we got all the locally-produced games, but a LOT of good Japanese stuff (read: 2D fighters and shmups) never came over. Sega of America pretty much declared 2D was dead for US DC's it seems, even though 2D made up a HUGE percentage of DC games overall.

Regarding the DC and Japanese games brought over to the US... I think that has long been a problem for any system until recently, and even then it's not that much better. I recall always being aggravated about certain Japanese games / series of games not being released here in the USA, regardless of platform, even a few years ago when things supposedly got better in this regard.

I'm saying, out of all the good DC games, there were far fewer available in the US than Japan. Sure, we got all the locally-produced games, but a LOT of good Japanese stuff (read: 2D fighters and shmups) never came over. Sega of America pretty much declared 2D was dead for US DC's it seems, even though 2D made up a HUGE percentage of DC games overall.

Most 2D and SHMUPS don't make it to the states, regardless of the system. The successes of Guilty Gear XX and Marvel v. Capcom are relative freaks of nature.

In the meantime, I lament the demise of the R-Type series, although it did go out with a bang...

Would be rather nice if Ikaruga could have been ported to PS2...

Most 2D and SHMUPS don't make it to the states, regardless of the system. The successes of Guilty Gear XX and Marvel v. Capcom are relative freaks of nature.

In the meantime, I lament the demise of the R-Type series, although it did go out with a bang...

I assume you know it's already coming back, albeit after having a love afair with a SRPG?

I KNOW both systems were good.

It's a comment on how bad the video's selection was that I EXPECTED to see the Saturn.

I said it was a GOOD thing they didn't show up, and was probably the only good thing I COULD say about the video.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :) Looks like we're on the same page.

I thought the DC was subject to the same revisionism as the rest of Sega's work(people will argue the GENESIS was a massive failure).

Mention Soul Caliber, they stare blankly for a minute, and go "Okay, it had ONE good game!"

I figure it's more the DC and Saturn fans are a lot louder than, say, Jaguar fans. They didn't want to wade through the hate mail naming either of those would've gotten them(though Saturn was probably closer to inclusion).

And the world's only Virtual Boy fan isn't gonna e-mail them.

But seriously.... Studio 2!

Let's be honest. I LIKE the Virtual Boy. I can find GOOD points to the 32x. I at least respect the Odyssey's place in history, if not the actual system.

When I can't find a good thing to say about a system, you KNOW it's bad.

You're not the only fan of the Virtual Boy. I own three myself. The Virtual Boy was a decent system. Had it recieved the proper treatment from Nintendo, it could have succeeded. I'm still waiting for a sequel to Virtual Boy Wario Land.

What is the Studio 2? I've never heard of it.

I feel that the Dreamcast did have a lot of good games, below is the list of the ones that have been rated very well and I noted with the asterix my personal DC game favorites. I got the DC mainly for RE: Code Veronica since it was exclusive to the DC at the time and then Soul Calibur.

Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000

Crazy Taxi*

Crazy Taxi 2

Dead or Alive 2*

Fatal Fury: Mark of The Wolves

Grandia II*

Headhunter

Hydro Thunder*

Jet Grind Radio*

Last Blade 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes*

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Metropolis Street Racer

NBA 2K2

NFL 2K2*

Phantasy Star Online

Quake III: Arena

Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica*

Shenmue

Skies of Arcadia*

Sonic Adventure*

Soulcalibur*

Spider-Man*

Starlancer

Street Fighter Alpha 3*

Street Fighter III: Double Impact*

Street Fighter III: Third Strike*

Tech Romancer

Virtua Tennis 2K2*

Tokyo Xtreme Racer

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

Unreal Tournament

Vanishing Point

World Series Baseball 2K2

I feel that the Dreamcast did have a lot of good games, below is the list of the ones that have been rated very well and I noted with the asterix my personal DC game favorites. I got the DC mainly for RE: Code Veronica since it was exclusive to the DC at the time and then Soul Calibur.

Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000

Crazy Taxi*

Crazy Taxi 2

Dead or Alive 2*

Fatal Fury: Mark of The Wolves

Grandia II*

Headhunter

Hydro Thunder*

Jet Grind Radio*

Last Blade 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes*

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Metropolis Street Racer

NBA 2K2

NFL 2K2*

Phantasy Star Online

Quake III: Arena

Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica*

Shenmue

Skies of Arcadia*

Sonic Adventure*

Soulcalibur*

Spider-Man*

Starlancer

Street Fighter Alpha 3*

Street Fighter III: Double Impact*

Street Fighter III: Third Strike*

Tech Romancer

Virtua Tennis 2K2*

Tokyo Xtreme Racer

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

Unreal Tournament

Vanishing Point

World Series Baseball 2K2

I played most of the ones you marked with an asterik but i personally found Grandia II to be a pretty crappy game. That's just my humble opinion of course, but it started out pretty good and then got really crappy towards the end.

You're not the only fan of the Virtual Boy. I own three myself. The Virtual Boy was a decent system. Had it recieved the proper treatment from Nintendo, it could have succeeded. I'm still waiting for a sequel to Virtual Boy Wario Land.

What is the Studio 2? I've never heard of it.

The Studio 2 was RCA's video game system. It featured exceedingly low-res black&white graphics(no grays, just on and off), had a speaker for sound(it was incapable of sending audio to the TV), and two integrated phonepads for control(yes, if you could talk someone else into playing, you'd both have to huddle over the system).

It came out after the original Odyssey, and WOULD have been the world's first programmable video game system(The Odyssey, while reconfigurable, wasn't programmable. The "game cards" actually physically rewired the system).

BUT.... Fairchild's Channel F beat it to market by a few months and was a vastly superior system, featuring such things as "high-res" color graphics and wired remote controls.

Both systems were rendered completely irrelevant a few months later when the 800-pound gorilla known as Atari released their own Video Computer System(later renamed 2600), which was itself vastly superior to the Channel F.

Am I the only fan of 32X? :(

It's a hard platform to like.

It's klunky and unreliable(there's a ribbon cable inside the adapter that tends to work loose over time), with a smaller library than even the Jaguar. And it's a shining symbol of everything that was wrong with Sega at the time.

Though it DOES have a few gems(even some EXCLUSIVE gems, like Knuckles Chaotix and Star Wars Arcade).

The biggest flaw, IMO, is that you can't use a Power Base Converter through a 32x. Given the choice of SMS games or 32x games...