The All Things Video Games Thread!

RE the STALKER questions, I'm running it on XP with an Nvidia 6800GT card, so it's getting a bit old now but it runs on medium graphics pretty well. I get the occaisional dissapearing quest (or the same quest that turns up again and again after you complete it) but it's been pretty stable and not too hoggish. But Gothic 3! That is the most ridiculous resource hog I've ever played.

I reckon when this PC gets too old I'll finally move over to consoles. So what's the general consensus here? Is the PS3 better than Xbox360?

Both systems are quite capable.

The big differences will be the game libraries. That's what will seperate these 2 eventually *(IMO). I also tend to think that Japanese developed games will be more predominant in the PS2 since Sony is afterall a Japanese company and they have had a long history of big libraries ever since the PS1. If you're a big fan of games originating from Japan, this may be a significant deal.

Heck, even the PS2 is still going very strong despite the newer gen consoles.

* - Still early, IMO. I know the PS3 is nowhere near as successful as it's predecessor, but it hasn't been out there as long as the 360. I know the 360 did well here on release in the USA, but in Japan? It was collecting dust (I was on deployment in Japan during its release and had some fellow Marines looking into them out in town). Time will tell how the PS3, Wii, and 360 perform in sales.

Edited by Warmaker

The consensus is that it's too early to tell.

But so far the 360 has the games, the Wii has the gimmicks and the PS3 has the disapointment.

lol, well put. And the price tag.

What the hell is with that Duke Nuke 'Em 2007 trailer? Cheesy ass metal music and one damn still that gets flipped back and forth?

Saw that too. Someone just made an entire video out of the one single image that currently exists of DNF. Watching the 1998 and 2001 trailer, it looked like either game would have been great. Here's hoping that DNF, if ever released, will be something worth purchasing either on PC or console.

Overly long development usually results in really bad games. When the development takes so long, there's usually alot of drama going in the background, like lots of people leaving (big turnovers), different publishers with different expectations on how they want the final product to be, etc.

Again, Daikatana is the prime example. That game had way too much stupid s**t going during development, including ridiculous, expensive luxuries for the team. End result was the greatest laughing stock in FPS history to be released. And it still is, IMO.

Again, Daikatana is the prime example. That game had way too much stupid s**t going during development, including ridiculous, expensive luxuries for the team. End result was the greatest laughing stock in FPS history to be released. And it still is, IMO.

Well, at least Daikata is remembered. Not in the way Romero meant though :rolleyes:

Overly long development usually results in really bad games. When the development takes so long, there's usually alot of drama going in the background, like lots of people leaving (big turnovers), different publishers with different expectations on how they want the final product to be, etc.

As I understand things, Duke's problem is more that 3D Realms is run by programmers, not businessmen.

George Broussard owns the company, and he's head of the Duke Forever team. So he can do whatever the hell he wants as long as the company doesn't go bankrupt. And what he wants is to integrate every feature under the sun(I'm sure he calls it making Duke Nukem Forever the best game possible, or something similar).

Basically, Duke has a REALLY bad case of feature creep, and won't make it out until Broussard freezes the feature set.

So, has anyone tried Armed Assault (PC)? I know it released elsewhere before the US did. This is another one I'm contemplating since I did enjoy the predecessor, Operation Flashpoint.

The original OFP was at its best with the infantry combat and hardcore focus on unforgiving realism. Vehicles were a bit clunky and a compromise for accessability, which was a letdown for me, but oh well. Sniping in OFP was really a great achievement if you knew how to do it. It's not your Average Joe Sniping Gallery. But again, infantry combat was awesome in OFP.

It seems Armed Assault is still pursuing the ultra-realism route, which I like and hope to try out soon here in the USA. Not enough realism in FPS games these days due to the core game engine compromises for "accessability," i.e. oversimplification.

Ahhh...OFP was the precurssor to Battlefield-type games. Too bad that OFP didn't get quite the following it deserved.

I was running it on XP SP2.

The Vista related bugs are more to the "it just won't work" side whereas the "bugs" I have encountered in the game are shoddy programming issues. On the technical side you need quite a beefy rig to run it but on a purely gameplay angle some missions screw up, items vanish, etc. etc. A good solid patch should fix those issues IMHO... but the technical "why is my framerate minus one?" issues are purely hardware, you have to have quite a beef system to run it with the HDR lighting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gamespot have done up another xbox360 vs ps3 graphic comparison:

http://au.gamespot.com/features/6171831/index.html

Interestingly the multiplatform games look near identical but textures, lighting and lack of jaggies in most of the 360 games seems to just give it the edge as well as better models in the crows in some of the sports titles. (ps3 crowds have pointy heads!)

This guy makes a very interesting comment which I agree with:

nemocystem

just two quick notes. 1) there is most certainly a "washed out" effect on the ps3 versions...but it seems like a decision/choice made by sony or the devs rather than a hardware limitation. it seems to be a shortcut or "smoke & mirrors" effect much like fog or too much night-time in a game. it hides deficiencies in details by the software & smooths out rough edges. we used to gripe to devs all the time when they would overdo the fog in a game when I was working for THQ. 2) if you look really closely at the ps3 images, yes...a little closer......ah..what is that, is it....yes, yes it is.....JAGGIES!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!! but, how can this be. certainly with blu-ray & uberhardware 10,000 there should never be an excuse for JAGGIES! devs w/jaggies on either system should be SHOT ON SIGHT....but especially for the ps3. there's NO excuse. finally, it's funny how it's presented at first to emphasize the fact that the first comparison was comparing a next-gen system featuring 2nd-gen quality games vs. a system featuring 1st-gen quality games, but then they go on to emphasize the comparison between the two in Oblivion & speak of how "Bethesda's Oblivion proved that there can be a PS3 game port with better textures than the Xbox 360 version." what's amusing to me is that any person of normal intelligence would note that Oblivion was more or less a LAUNCH title for the 360 while it is practically a 2nd-gen game for the ps3. even more important is the fact that while Oblivion is a port...it is a port that is post release so they had much more time to perfect what they already had & utilize even more ideas that they couldn't fit in the short deadline set for the original release. furthermore, while this is how a port SHOULD ALWAYS be done (& I applaud Bethesda for the job well done), it was delayed on top of having that extra time to begin with. basically, if it wasn't markedly better graphically & contentually than the 360 it would have been a MAJOR travesty. pointing out the difference in Oblivion under these circumstances is a farce, unless the point is ONLY to exemplify the fact that there is HOPE for the ps3 in terms of producing the high quality graphics of which the price-point & hype suggested to begin with. definitely some improvement has been made on the devs side, but more still has to be made...or a price drop...whichever comes first, before I shell out hard earned clamshells for those digs.

You can't say "oh but this is a first gen game competing with a later gen xbox game so you got to expect graphics being poorer" and then show us an improved version of oblivion for ps3 and say: "look at how much superior the ps3 is, to be able to handle oblivion and add ore details! Xbox360's deficiency shows through" despite oblivion having 1 year of time to get those improvements through tweaks for th ps3 release. :D You can't have it both ways.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 5 weeks later...
:lol:

Speaking of the original RR I`ve always loved this

^_^

When I got my PS1 back on 9/9/95, I did nothing but play Ridge Racer for about 5 or 6 hours straight. It felt like I was really playing an arcade game at home! ^_^ Good times. :)

And of course there's the ever famous

WRONG! :D

When I got my PS1 back on 9/9/95, I did nothing but play Ridge Racer for about 5 or 6 hours straight. It felt like I was really playing an arcade game at home! ^_^ Good times. :)

Yeah good times, for me it was Daytona-USA, VF-2, SFA, KOF 96 and then in the late 90`s it was Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men vs Street Fighter on Sega Saturn ^_^ .

Check these guitar renditions of some classic videogame themes from vertexguy:

(
)

I only just now found this, but those are awesome. Even more awesome--he's done Lords of Thunder.

Lords of Thunder--possibly the greatest game soundtrack ever, but so few people have played/heard it.

I only just now found this, but those are awesome. Even more awesome--he's done Lords of Thunder.

Lords of Thunder--possibly the greatest game soundtrack ever, but so few people have played/heard it.

Ah, a fellow Lords fan. ^_^

Ah, a fellow Lords fan. ^_^

likewise up there with the Ys series on the Duo

Indeed, made a copy from Sega-CD just for its sound track and I still have it ... awesome. The OST/music style is inspired from the famous Swedish Orchestra rock player Yngwie Malmsteen.