The All Things Video Games Thread!

It'd also be nice if they included the Sega CD versions of appropriate titles (such as Ecco).

Sonic CD with the original Soundtrack would be great...my Mega CD version bit the dust when someone stepped on it.

I grabbed MM9 on my 360.

Sharp graphics VS not-totally-dickish attitudes towards downloaded media...

If it's the room I think it is... Swinging platform and the wall facing you is spikes as well as the ceiling of the room you're dropping into?

Just walk off the swinging platform at the right point. You'll sail under the spikes and land on the floor.

I've beat Galaxy Man and Jewel Man so far. I can make it TO Splash Woman, Magma Man, and Concrete Man, but I can't beat them.

To be fair, I only tried Concrete Man once, and that was early on. I'm a lot less out of practice now.

And QBERT YOU, PLUG MAN AND YOUR QBERTING DISAPPEARING BLOCKS! I QBERTING HATE VANISHING BLOCK ROOMS! DIEDIEDIE!

Also: The spinning magnetic platforms in Tornado Man's stage are sliding back and forth on magnet beams from Megaman 1.

Best cameo ever. :p

It's the last room with a swinging platform. You drop down into it, and the walls and floor are covered with spikes. The only gap is a narrow hole directly under the platform. Whenever I move on the platform, the platform moves too much, so ultimately I just bought the item that lets you take one hit from the spikes, walked off the right edge, took the hit, then jumped down the hole.

I've managed (three times) to beat all the robot masters, but I never finished any of the Wily stages.

As for Plug Man, yeah, those blocks are frustrating, but it's kinda old school. Ultimately, it's one of my favorite stages, because of the sense of satisfaction you have once you've got the patterns down. I can do that level with my eyes closed now, (after many frustrating deaths, and a sketching the levels in a notebook with numbers for each when each block appears and notes on which blocks to jump to when).

Bit off topic but I just got Dead Space. Been playing it all night yesterday, there's usually a lot of hype about video games but this one really freaking lived up to all of it. Sooooo bloody scary... it's like playing a hi-def version of Event Horizon and The Thing...

I wasn't too thrilled with it. I started playing it, and yeah, sometimes you get startled when something pops out at you, but ultimately it's just not scary. I got tired of stuff popping out at me with Resident Evil 2. Speaking of those old Resident Evil games, Dead Space certainly reminds me of their clunky controls. On the whole, I rather agreed with Zero Punctuation's review, and put it aside to play Fallout 3 instead.

Bit off topic but I just got Dead Space. Been playing it all night yesterday, there's usually a lot of hype about video games but this one really freaking lived up to all of it. Sooooo bloody scary... it's like playing a hi-def version of Event Horizon and The Thing...

TOTALLY agree. One of the best I've played in years.

Dead Space is really something... it's like Event Horizon + Alien + Aliens. I'm on my second run through, with the military armor and pulse rifle, going all out Marines style!

Anybody else playing Valkyria Chronicles? I've found it amazingly addicting, and the pencil-sketch style 3D graphics is just all kinds of awesome.

Valkyria Chronicles is a great title.

On another Sega note, I picked up PS2 Thunder Force VI. It's...really easy. Like kiddie easy. For one, you have all weapons right at the start and don't lose them when you die. Now Overweapon is wayyyyyy too strong. After you beta the game, you can use other ships. Which have variants of the main weapons and you lose them when you die, which is what the default should have been and the no losing weapon ship should have been the unlocked prize. Levels are very short. Bosses are very easy. Buy it if you're a Thunder Force fan but be warned...you'll finish in no time. Too bad...TFIV still remains the best.

Edited by Gaijin

More news from magicbox :

- Sega announced Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360, the compilation will include over 40 first party Mega Drive/Genesis and Master System titles, including Sonic The Hedgehog series, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin series, Space Harrier, Street of Rage series and more. All games will support 720p resolution.

I've managed (three times) to beat all the robot masters, but I never finished any of the Wily stages.

Wow I did better than the Mr Megaman expert on the board. I feel good about myself. ^_^ Just got it today and almost finished the first Wily stage, just died on the final boss. Stopped because my roomate hated the music - that guy's just been asking to be killed in his sleep this week! :rolleyes:

I'd concur in that it is more challenging, but it really rewards you for using the boss weapons compaired to the other Megaman games. Got the Wii version and I could see how you're saying the controls could be off, but i don't think they're off more than average for games. This is definitely one I'd doubledip on, I want Capcom to continue in this style.

Wow I did better than the Mr Megaman expert on the board. I feel good about myself. happy.gif Just got it today and almost finished the first Wily stage, just died on the final boss. Stopped because my roomate hated the music - that guy's just been asking to be killed in his sleep this week! rolleyes.gif

I think I probably would have beat it, except it happened to come out at the beginning of the holiday glut. If it was summer, it would have been the only game on my plate, and I'd keep banging my head on the proverbial wall until the game was done. But now, the choice is something more like be frustrated at Megaman, or wander the Wasteland in Fallout 3.

I'll concede that MM9 doesn't have the best music in a Megaman game, but still... Megaman game music is awesome. If ever there was a reason for killing someone in their sleep, dissing Megaman music would be it.

Don't even know what or for what system yet, but I will buy it based on this illustration alone:

The game's Blood of Bahamut, and it's for the Nintendo DS.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone pick up Street Fighter II HD Remix? I'm having fun with it. Surprisingly playable online. Don't like Cammy's face in the redrawn sprite...her eyes are...creepy. Her remixed music is meh as is 'Gief's stage. But everyone else looks and sounds great. One awesome change is no more Big Bird Announcer and Guile is no longer gay. He has his old voice.

Did anyone pick up Street Fighter II HD Remix? I'm having fun with it. Surprisingly playable online. Don't like Cammy's face in the redrawn sprite...her eyes are...creepy. Her remixed music is meh as is 'Gief's stage. But everyone else looks and sounds great. One awesome change is no more Big Bird Announcer and Guile is no longer gay. He has his old voice.

I played it with MilkManX on Thursday. Highly recommended! Glad they changed the Super/Super Turbo announcer's voice along with Guile's. As for Cammy, Milk commented on that he thought that she was drawn too big. My thought was that either one of us were simply just used to seeing her on a smaller screen. Probably have to make some direct comparisons.

I'm getting a PS3 for Xmas, and will probably get SF2HD for that, due to the D-pad if for no other reason. So I can't join in on any 360 matches... (I also plan to get MM9 for the PS3 for the D-pad)

::edit:: Are there any 6-button fighting pads for either system? That would make a big difference.

I'm getting a PS3 for Xmas, and will probably get SF2HD for that, due to the D-pad if for no other reason. So I can't join in on any 360 matches... (I also plan to get MM9 for the PS3 for the D-pad)

::edit:: Are there any 6-button fighting pads for either system? That would make a big difference.

Some people are using some of the PS2 fighting pads with adapter for it. Myself, I have a pair of Virtua Stick High Grades so I'm set.

OK people, convince me which version of SF2HD to get. (I'm a Chun-Li/Vega/Ken player, used to play Dhalsim WAY back when--and a tiny bit of Cammy)

I never even took my headset out of the wrapper for my 360, the few times I've played online via "free months" I did so in silence. Of course, I'd never want to speak to or listen to 99% of online gamers frankly, but it could be fun chatting with fellow MW people.

So I was walking home the other night and noticed something strange sitting in the gutter of the street-- A white Sega Saturn.

Brought it home, it booted up fine. Bought a cheap 100yen game to test enough and sure enough it works fine. It isn't the cleanest one I've seen, but it cleaned up okay and it's hard to argue with the price. Now just to figure out what games to pick up for it...

OK people, convince me which version of SF2HD to get. (I'm a Chun-Li/Vega/Ken player, used to play Dhalsim WAY back when--and a tiny bit of Cammy)

I never even took my headset out of the wrapper for my 360, the few times I've played online via "free months" I did so in silence. Of course, I'd never want to speak to or listen to 99% of online gamers frankly, but it could be fun chatting with fellow MW people.

It comes down to: 360 Version has achievements, and Live

PS3 version has free PSN online and when it comes down to it the better d-pad.

Both have voice chat available but in SF2, I don't really feel the need to "chat" with people anyways. I see people with headsets but most people hardly say anything in SF2.

Both versions have bugs in online play, but to be honest, I've never encountered a single happening in about 30 ranked and 100 friendly matches. Lag is rarely an issue and I'm surprised at just how well it does play online. I think I can recall 2 maybe three times when lag interfered on the PS3 version. No trophies but I'm not really into that and supposedly a patch is coming for that.

It still comes down to the controller for me. Not that I think the DS3 pad is right for fighting games but it beats the 360's D pad any day. You can of course use a PS2 pad and get one of those adapters that people use. I've heard of everything from the SF2 anniversary Nuby pads to the famous Japanese Saturn PS2 pads being used. If you have more friends on Live, that could be an issue as well. I actually enjoy the random quick matches though in RAnked Scoreboard...you might play a newb or a master. Kinda feels like the old arcade that way.

One thing I really love about the online play in either version: Double blind character select...you don't know who they're picking....unless they pick Ryu and don't move their stick so you know they pick Ryu or their last played character from lack of sound.

So I was walking home the other night and noticed something strange sitting in the gutter of the street-- A white Sega Saturn.

Brought it home, it booted up fine. Bought a cheap 100yen game to test enough and sure enough it works fine. It isn't the cleanest one I've seen, but it cleaned up okay and it's hard to argue with the price. Now just to figure out what games to pick up for it...

Thunderforce Gold collections! Thunderforce V (better than PSX version)

Panzer Dragoon series

Most any SNK or Capcom fighter (awesome with the pad).

NiGHTS

For the Saturn----X-Men vs Street Fighter. Trust me. Most fun 2D fighting game ever. Awesome music, even by Capcom standards. Also, Darkstalkers 2. (if you have the 4MB RAM expansion card)

As for SF2 controllers--PS3 d-pad is better by far, but the 360 now brings promise of a future 6-button controller. (of course, it's likely the PS3 will get one by then as well)

For the Saturn----X-Men vs Street Fighter. Trust me. Most fun 2D fighting game ever. Awesome music, even by Capcom standards. Also, Darkstalkers 2. (if you have the 4MB RAM expansion card)

As for SF2 controllers--PS3 d-pad is better by far, but the 360 now brings promise of a future 6-button controller. (of course, it's likely the PS3 will get one by then as well)

Get a USB PS2-PS3 adaptor and a PS2-Saturn pad.

The six button controllers are being done by Mad Catz. They are for both 360 and PS3. It supposedly is based on the Saturn's D pad but...it's Mad Catz. I'd just get a PS2 Saturn pad.

but...it's Mad Catz.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, but on the other hand, Mad Catz might be making a turnaround from their usual crappy stuff. Their Rock Band Bass is actually pretty good.

I'd just get a PS2 Saturn pad.

If you can find one, and that seems like a pretty big if. It's listed as out of stock or out of print at my usual import shops. I'd imagine, if you could find it, it'd be on the pricey side, not to mention the PS2-to-PS3 adapter on top of that.

If I were in David's shoes (which I kinda am), I'd hold off a little bit. Wait and see if the Mad Catz controllers are any good or not. Then ask yourself which console you'll use more for gaming. I know a lot of people like Uxi and Gaijin strongly prefer the PS3 for gaming, but there are also people like me who use the PS3 more for media and the 360 more for gaming. If you fall into that category, and the Mad Catz controller turns out okay, maybe you'll want the 360 version.

With all that in mind, I didn't grow up playing SF in arcades, I grew up playing it on the SNES. If I really wanted SFIIHD, I'd probably buy it for the PS3, just like I did for Megaman 9... the PS3 D-pad. I'm sure as heck not shelling out extra money for an arcade stick or another controller over it.

Macross DYRL, Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, Azel Panzer Dragoon, Rayearth.

Thunderforce Gold collections! Thunderforce V (better than PSX version)

Panzer Dragoon series

Most any SNK or Capcom fighter (awesome with the pad).

NiGHTS

I'm thinking Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Nights for starters as they both support wide screen and we have a widescreen TV downstairs (an SD one), so I'm curious to see how they look. The problem with Saturn games is that a lot of them are still pretty expensive, relatively speaking so I don't know how many I'll be rushing out to get. Plus I have a collection of Saturn games back in the US (but no system, as I sold it before coming here ironically enough).

Get a USB PS2-PS3 adaptor and a PS2-Saturn pad.

Just curious, but have you tried to play SFII HD in an online match with that combination? If so, was there any lag?

I only ask because whenever I used any sort of controller adapter to play games online on the Xbox1, there was always a 1/4 second lag between inputting commands and actual execution. On single player matches, there was no lag, but as soon as I went online I hit that lag. If I swapped out the adapter and put a regular Xbox1 controller in, the lag vanished. I thought it might have been the adapter I got, but other people online had the similiar results with different adapters. I'm not sure if online matches just don't work well with adapters, or if the problem was because of the Xbox1's architecture.

I would test it out myself, since I have a USB PS2-PS3 adapter and a PS2 Saturn pad, but I bought SFII HD for the 360. :lol:

Just curious, but have you tried to play SFII HD in an online match with that combination? If so, was there any lag?

I only ask because whenever I used any sort of controller adapter to play games online on the Xbox1, there was always a 1/4 second lag between inputting commands and actual execution. On single player matches, there was no lag, but as soon as I went online I hit that lag. If I swapped out the adapter and put a regular Xbox1 controller in, the lag vanished. I thought it might have been the adapter I got, but other people online had the similiar results with different adapters. I'm not sure if online matches just don't work well with adapters, or if the problem was because of the Xbox1's architecture.

I would test it out myself, since I have a USB PS2-PS3 adapter and a PS2 Saturn pad, but I bought SFII HD for the 360. :lol:

I just tried it with a PS2 SF2 Nuby 15th Anniversary pad and the Rock Band Ant commandoes adapter. Worked fine online without any lag. Still prefer my sticks but this combo worked fine. I think the brand of adapter makes a difference.

I just tried it with a PS2 SF2 Nuby 15th Anniversary pad and the Rock Band Ant commandoes adapter. Worked fine online without any lag. Still prefer my sticks but this combo worked fine. I think the brand of adapter makes a difference.

Nice! You're probably right about the adapter brands, the PS3 is fortunate to have brand name adapters.