The All Things Video Games Thread!

Can anyone recommend some good shmups for SNES/SFC? I have Gradius 3, Axelay, Parodius 2, Pop 'n Twin-Bee and Hudson Soft Carnival Shooting Collection (Star Force, Star Soldier and Starship Hector).

Is it wrong that I want a song for Megaman 2 now?

Strangely, this video reminds me of the

song...

Well, I think Capcom should hire the guy for Megaman 9 promotion.

Rainbow Road...

*twitch*

'Scuse me a minute.

*pounds the stuffing out of a few SNES decks*

Okay, I think I'm better now.

Can anyone recommend some good shmups for SNES/SFC? I have Gradius 3, Axelay, Parodius 2, Pop 'n Twin-Bee and Hudson Soft Carnival Shooting Collection (Star Force, Star Soldier and Starship Hector).

SNES isn't a very good shooter platform, really. Most of those wound up on the Genesis.

It's got a few gems, though.

If you like the Gradius games, Parodius is more or less the same thing, just on acid.

Speaking of gems...

SPACE MEGAFORCE. Must-play. Everything about it rocks--graphics, weapons, stages, and most of all---music.

After that, Darius Twin and Super R-Type are both classics. I like Darius a lot more.

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste does indeed rock on all levels. Compile + shooters = awesomeness.

I must, however, respectfully disagree on one point.

Super R-Type is ass, largely due to the omission of continue points. There's no reason why dying to the boss should send you right back to the start of the level. It makes for an atrociously bad port of the game, even if there aren't a lot of R-Type 2 ports to choose from.

Just get a PlayStation and a copy of R-Types. That's all you need as far as the arcade versions go(unless you wanna do it right and get arcade boards, or leet warez rawmz and a copy of MAME).

For the SNES, get R-Type 3 instead.

Edited by JB0

The SFC/Snes have a very list of shooters, even more then the MD/Genesis, here`s my list :

1- Gradius 3.

2- Axelay.

3- Pop`n Twin Bee.

4- Darius Twin (very good OST).

5- Super R-Type (" " " ).

6- Super Aleste.

7- Macross SV.

As for R-Type III its OK overall if you want a shooter console then don`t look futher ... PC-Engine. some its games are being remade for the PSP like this one.

• 2 weeks later...
Anbody playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare? :huh: I was just curious since, it's become the rage here in my city. :)

That's all I've been playing until Star Wars comes out on the 16th. I'm going to try to get back to level 55 before SW:TFU comes out.

Sarge051 is my GT on Xbox Live.

I don't have a copy of COD4 for the PS3 yet.

Anbody playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare? :huh: I was just curious since, it's become the rage here in my city. :)

I was playing a LOT of COD4 last fall, through to this spring when I switched to Team Fortress 2 (came free with my new video card). I've been toying with going back, especially since they released the new official maps.

Same here. They made some odd changes to the game, such as making the neutral areas into Federation camps. That removed all the instances where you would run into Imperial characters. If they'd kept that in, they could have done some fun stuff with the dialogue there.

They also turned the backgrounds into an overbuilt dystopian future, rather than the burned out wasteland the NES version gave the impression of.

And they removed both Hal and the spy! I was sorry to see that. They could have played that out a lot better with the improved new dialogue they've got going in the game.

Still, the improvements certainly outweighed my complaints. I don't think the game is all that easier than the NES game. Being able to save makes it seem a lot easier. I've been playing both versions pretty much constantly. ReArmed on my PC at home, and the original emulated on my DS when I'm out. Some things are actually a lot harder in ReArmed. Gottfried Groeder is much more difficult than his NES counterpart. All of the boss battles are, really.

Haven't had a chance to finish that last level, though. The game chugs on my system (apparently it doesn't play well on single core machines, even if you've got the specs where it should play well) and I lost a videocard a few days ago, so no more SLi for me. I may upgrade my whole computer soon.

I love the remixed soundtrack. So much so that I bought the soundtrack off of iTunes.

I tried it for a bit but turned away. The game has some good points and some bad points, but it depends on how you like your FPS's.

GOOD

+ Great single-payer campaign / storyline. Like a good action movie.

+ Very good infantry oriented FPS.

+ Looks fabulous.

+ If you like CQB multiplayer maps, this game is great for it.

BAD

+ Like most other SP campaigns on these types of games, absolutely linear storyline (can't be really helped, but it does annoy me).

+ Unless the devs have done something about it, if you like a great variety of multiplayer maps in terms of style, this game doesn't deliver. If you want a variety of more dense or open terrain, this game did not offer it.

+ Very good infantry oriented FPS at the cost of everything else. Maybe I've played too much BF2 / 2142 that had infantry, ground vehicles, air vehicles in the mix, but I did miss the wide scope in gameplay possibilities.

Spore. Its the game you get your girlfriend into so you have time to go play something more... serious. Or maybe your kids. If it was a Sims game, it would be considered light. Its certainly not at the level of a Sim(fill in the blank) game. I'm just flabbergasted that they spent that much time, and produced that much hype, yet have so little to show for it. It is, in a word, shallow.

I am going to go back to shooting aliens and saving colonies from asteroids.

been playing tales of vesperia. The real time combat is interesting and takes a little work to get good at. Only a couple of hours in but it's fun and I'm liking the characters, the main character is a sarcastic cynic but he's more or less emo free which is a refreshing change.

Spore. Its the game you get your girlfriend into so you have time to go play something more... serious. Or maybe your kids. If it was a Sims game, it would be considered light. Its certainly not at the level of a Sim(fill in the blank) game. I'm just flabbergasted that they spent that much time, and produced that much hype, yet have so little to show for it. It is, in a word, shallow.

I am going to go back to shooting aliens and saving colonies from asteroids.

What's going to be funny is that gaming sites / mags will review the game very highly. Gamespy already gave it 4/5.

/sigh

Back to shooting people and collecting dog tags in BF2142 for me.

I started playing MS Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield recently (check out some videos here: http://insomnia.ac/japan/the_dome_screen/ ) and I'm starting to get hooked.

It's expensive as hell... 500yen for two games, although the impressive presentation kind of justifies it. The game itself is a pretty simple game, but you accumulate points and unlock new mobile suits and new armor so it's enough to keep people coming back to it, I guess. Over a year old and still regularly played, it isn't uncommon to see people waiting to play it... so I guess it's been a pretty decent success.

I started playing MS Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield recently (check out some videos here: http://insomnia.ac/japan/the_dome_screen/ ) and I'm starting to get hooked.

It's expensive as hell... 500yen for two games, although the impressive presentation kind of justifies it. The game itself is a pretty simple game, but you accumulate points and unlock new mobile suits and new armor so it's enough to keep people coming back to it, I guess. Over a year old and still regularly played, it isn't uncommon to see people waiting to play it... so I guess it's been a pretty decent success.

Man I wish I could go to japan just to play that game! Its a gundam fans wet dream!

I so want that. But am not buying a Wii to play it.

You know, 90% of the games I want for the Wii, are downloadable. Mario Galaxy and Metroid are the ONLY actual "Wii" games I'd have, if I had a Wii.

No Blast Works?

Everyone needs to support Kenta Cho!

Personally, I'd've rather seen Torus Trooper go retail than Tumiki Fighters. But TT is available as a bonus on the disk!

Gradius Rebirth is based on the MSX Gradius 1, 2 & 2 : Episode-II (no 3 in MSX) and of course with improvements. It would nice if Konami made SALAMANDER Rebirth, based on the MSX version too, the best version.

NO! MSX SALAMANDER IS BASARA'D UP WITH THE GRADIUS POWER BAR!

REAL ARCADE SALAMANDER OR NOTHING!

I am passionate about this.

That's all I've been playing until Star Wars comes out on the 16th. I'm going to try to get back to level 55 before SW:TFU comes out.

Sarge051 is my GT on Xbox Live.

I don't have a copy of COD4 for the PS3 yet.

I was playing a LOT of COD4 last fall, through to this spring when I switched to Team Fortress 2 (came free with my new video card). I've been toying with going back, especially since they released the new official maps.

I tried it for a bit but turned away. The game has some good points and some bad points, but it depends on how you like your FPS's.

:blink:

This was out since last fall? :huh: Darn, I'm really behind when it comes to video games. :lol:

Anyways managed to play the single player mode just yesterday and.....

THIS GAME WAS AWESOME!!!! :ph34r:

I mean the first time I played my jaw just dropped to the floor at the graphics. I was like OMGWTFBBQPWN!!! :ph34r:

The weapon details were fairly accurate, IMHO.

However, what was the most awesome part of this game for me personally was the AC-130 Level. Yes, not much "eye candy," but seeing little black & white people people getting blown away with the 105mm cannon was AWESOME!!!!

BTW....I loved the SAS missions though more than the USMC missions, but I don't know why. Also one of the earlier USMC missions (the one were they search for Al-Hasad at the T.V. station) really gave me the Black Hawk Down (The movie NOT the game) vibes.

Managed to finish the game in NORMAL in under 6 hours. :)

Edited by grss1982