The All Things Video Games Thread!

Grandia II did seem to go on too long at the end. Liked the music and character designs though. Skies of Arcadia was really good overall, but thought the final villain plot kinda sucked---he was pretty generic, everything involving the silver moon etc was RPG cliche and predicatable. Also, WAY too high enemy encounter rate, especially the map. And fights overall took too long, especially bosses. Even "fire against ice" could take a while. Basically the characters and story overcame the battles. And I just loved customizing the ship and the ship battles.

Code Veronica is one of my fave RE games, always wondered why it didn't "get a number"---it's better than some numbered ones, and shouldn't be grouped in with the many poor numberless off-shoots. I believe it's also going to be the basis for the next movie.

Really. The PS2 is the most successful game console ever. Granted, the intent to make it a multimedia hub were almost entirely ignored, much the same for the Xbox (officially anyways, the Xbox Media Center Mod gave quite a bit of life). The 360 did make some progress but failed to take on the full scope of the XMC. PS3 has been the most successful. Streaming via Twonky really makes it quite useful and rendered my plasn to clones my near full 60GB iPod direclty on the PS3 moot. I've spent many an hour in front using my 60" TV as a monitor while I browse various forums and web sites. Not quite as useful as Opera tweaked the way I like, but damned close. The Linux functionality is also great. As the PS3 game library grows & develops, we're in for quite a treat, though I don't think it's quite failure if PS3 doesn't sell as well as PS2 (which was quite freakish).

I understood most of it, and he's right. Nowadays, each new console is trying to be some multimedia entertainment system with DVD playback and internet surfing and music playback, and on and on and on. Like what the 3DO tried to do back in 1993, it was just too expensive and too ahead of it's time. But I too lament the days of the console as just a simple gaming machine without all this other crap. I've never used my X-Box to play music or store photos and I could give a crap about DVD playback, that's what my DVD player is for. I wish these companies would just drop all the crap that makes each of these new consoles increasingly expensive at launch. I mean $500 to $600 bucks for a gaming system? These costs are rapidly approaching that of a modestly powerful computer.

I would guess by the last part that the Nintendo Game Cube isn't one of BV's favorites :)

I'm still convinced Sony could have released the PS3 for a hundred or two hundred cheaper had they not decided to use their loyal gaming fanbase to push BluRay, and since the PS3 comes with a hard drive it wouldn't have affected the games.

I have to disagree with the statement that all consoles after the Dreamcast are taking up after the 3DO. The PS2 and Xbox could play DVDs, sure, but it didn't affect the price all that much, certainly not enough to put the price tag into the stratosphere, like with the 3DO and PS3. The 360 is pricey, sure, but one could argue that it's no more expensive than the Sega Saturn was, it launched at more than I'm willing to pay for a console, but the price drop is bringing it down to a much more reasonable rate. Sure, I could do without the extra video/photo/music gimmicks, but I do have to wonder just how much those gimmicks affected the price?

As for Nintendo, I think as far as anyone last gen, they did the right thing with the Gamecube. They made it cheap, simple, and developer friendly. But there was no stopping the PS2 juggernaut and the graphics race was a dead-end anyways. Innovations like Xbox Live and the Wii controller were the way to go, and I'm glad the experiences of last generation pushed Nintendo and Microsoft to move in their respective directions (though I must admit I'd love a console with the best of both worlds, maybe next gen?). Nintendo is keeping with the simple game system formula, but moving in directions other than the graphics race. The remote was a gamble that paid off, but keeping the price low, especially in the face of Microsoft and Sony's price tags, was certainly a smart move.

If the PS3 is the main reason for Blu-Ray "winning the format war" (and assuming it does) it will have been well worth it for Sony.

Quite. Still, the method is nothing to be proud of. They're really cashing in the chips as far as brand loyalty goes.

I liked the Game Cube just for the exclusive Resident Evil games, Zero and the RE 1 update. Glad I didn't have to buy it since the lil lady had it to play the Sims and Paper Mario and then I took it over and got my zombie fix for it.

Grandia II did seem to go on too long at the end. Liked the music and character designs though.

Grandia 2's big problem for me was that I'd already played it when it was called Lunar 2. Both times.

Okay, so it's a tad of an exaggeration, but large portions of it WERE lifted straight from L2. Was really one of the major signs that Game Arts had gone totally bankrupt, creatively speaking. Especially coming so close after the Lunar 2 remake.

Or maybe it was their last hurrah. Lunar Legend was really the point where they went totally down the crapper(even ignoring it was the second remake and FIFTH release of Silver Star in 6 years... at least they stopped at 5 versions instaed of making the SS remake an anual project)...

Grandia 2's big problem for me was that I'd already played it when it was called Lunar 2. Both times.

Okay, so it's a tad of an exaggeration, but large portions of it WERE lifted straight from L2. Was really one of the major signs that Game Arts had gone totally bankrupt, creatively speaking. Especially coming so close after the Lunar 2 remake.

Or maybe it was their last hurrah. Lunar Legend was really the point where they went totally down the crapper(even ignoring it was the second remake and FIFTH release of Silver Star in 6 years... at least they stopped at 5 versions instaed of making the SS remake an anual project)...

Lunar Genesis/Dragon Song was when I finally accepted that Game Arts was dead.....worst RPG EVER!

And I'm actually a little mad that I never got around to picking up Grandia 2. I tried playing Grandia 3, but it just bored me, and I hated the in game models (which is saying a lot, since played through FFVII).

Edited by Keith

Could you be more specific? I played Lunar 2 (remake) and Grandia 2 right when they came out, and don't recall noticing anything specific. I mean, most JRPG's tend to have a lot of reused plot elements.

Evil god is trying to resurrect himself with a corrupt church that claims to be worshipping the good god.

Good god is dead, but no one knows it.

Evil god can only be defeated by the power of humanity!

Seriously, it wasn't overly blatant, but the Granas/Valmar thing left me with a very strong "Lunar 2.5" feel. Not just the general concept, but the development path.

Character-wise...

Party consists of a scruffy adventurer with a mouthy animal sidekick, a divine force discovering her humanity through the lovable rogue, a circus performer with a secret past, a noble beastman with a strong sense of justice...

I'll grant one or two, but too much overlap starts looking pretty funny.

Android girl reminded me a lot of early Lucia. Only with less awesome(it was stolen by Millenia!).

Mareg gave me a VERY strong Leo vibe.

They're generic enough that it shouldn't matter, but it felt a lot closer than most generic stereotypes. Maybe due to the setting.

Also to be fair, I only just now noticed the Skye/Ruby/Nall connection, so that's probably not fair either.

And I DO grant the scruffy adventurer had a lot more depth in Grandia 2 than Lunar 2. Lunar series was about the people AROUND the hero more than the hero himself(Heck, in the first game Alex was a classic mute character).

Speaking of Lunar II... Plasma rain, most awesome attack in an RPG ever? Or just something snug in by a super perv? Seriously, look at where it came from!

*laughs*

I LOVED Atomic Burn*.

Pity it was a caster-area spell and Lucia's AI was worse than pure random at picking spells and targets. For Lucia's use, plasma rain WAS her best spell, since it was good damage AND unfocused....

*SegaCD names, they shuffled most of them for the PS version, and I can't recall what wound up on what. Whatever Lucia's caster-area attack spell was.

Gah.... If I had space to connect both power bricks, I'd be replaying Lunar 2 right now.

Poor SegaCD.... victim of my lack of outlets.

*laughs*

I LOVED Atomic Burn*.

Pity it was a caster-area spell and Lucia's AI was worse than pure random at picking spells and targets. For Lucia's use, plasma rain WAS her best spell, since it was good damage AND unfocused....

*SegaCD names, they shuffled most of them for the PS version, and I can't recall what wound up on what. Whatever Lucia's caster-area attack spell was.

Gah.... If I had space to connect both power bricks, I'd be replaying Lunar 2 right now.

Poor SegaCD.... victim of my lack of outlets.

Least you still put your old consoles to use...all my older stuff is now 'archived' in my spare office room closet. :lol:

Ok, characters yeah, but still think plot is too generic to really say is a copy. Heck, FF Tactics has that plot too. (But the best version of it)

Hahah! Final Fantasy Tactics! I loved that game. Lots of good stuff going on that, including Poaching critters :lol:

I will eventually post this over in the "For Sale" section of the Macross World boards, but I wanted to give the heads up that I have a fair number of Japanese import games for the Saturn along with with a few for the PS1, Dreamcast, Super Famicom, and Famicom I will be selling in the very near future. This includes some Macross games for these systems (M3 for the Dreamcast, Scrambled Valkyrie for the Super Famicom, and the Namco game for the Famicom). If anybody is looking for anything in particular, just let me know. I may have what you are looking for! :) Also have a few domestic Saturn games, Galactic Attack and Darius Gaiden, that I might be willing to part with.

Today I made the decision to trade off all my remaining domestic PS1 games. This included my copy of Ridge Racer (Riiiidge Racerrrrr!) which I've had since September 9, 1995. Some of best deals I got were like Raiden Project, R-Types, and R-Type Delta which I got $20 for each (I think I bought those games for that much each). Einhader I got like $30! Not bad for a bunch of old games. As usual, it was commented on how much of my stuff was in pristened condition for 10 year old PS1 stuff! The trade ins should hopefully cover Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Call of Duty 4, and Guitar Hero III when then come out.

Somewhat related--I have a lot of import/older stuff to get rid of, going back to the Turbo Duo era. Any non-eBay suggestions on how to get rid of it? My local import VG store closed with little notice, I never got around to selling it off to them. (That would have been a lot easier---put in all in the trunk and sell it all as one giant lot to them)

Somewhat related--I have a lot of import/older stuff to get rid of, going back to the Turbo Duo era. Any non-eBay suggestions on how to get rid of it? My local import VG store closed with little notice, I never got around to selling it off to them. (That would have been a lot easier---put in all in the trunk and sell it all as one giant lot to them)

The only local video game store chain that's still here in the Omaha area, Gamers, won't take import games. They did at one time, but about 10 years ago, someone sold them what was clearly bootlegged PS1 games with instructions that were painfully obvious that they were printed off of a printer at home (a nice printer, but clearly a home printer none the less). I think I was one of the first people to point this out to them, but no one would listen to me. Eventually someone caught on and the bootlegged PS1 games were removed. Soon afterwards, they stopped taking used import titles though they would occasionally sell them (used or new ones they would get in from other sources).

Funny how a lot of these Japanese import titles can become big time collectors items, but sometimes it's very hard to sell them off! :p

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 for PS2. Missed the import awhile back but saw the US one and grabbed it yesterday @ the local GS. Good stuff. I still have a soft spot for FF Special and 3.

Edited by Gaijin

Just picked up Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 for PS2. Missed the import awhile back but saw the US one and grabbed it yesterday @ the local GS. Good stuff. I still have a soft spot for FF Special and 3.

Thought about buying that. What does it look like on a PS3? lol

I really wish they'd hurry up and release a Samurai Spirits/Shodown collection. I like that series more. Or release the Last Blade collection in the US. There's always Garou: Mark of the Wolves too.

Edited by dejr8bud

Help Installing Civilization 4 on Windows Vista

Ok, so I have vista with directx 10, I;m trying to install civ 4, during installation it says I need to install direct x 9.0c, I cancel because I dont want to downgrade, and the installation stops, it says I cant continue.

what the hell? so to play civ4 i need to downgrade to direcx 9.0c?

Thought about buying that. What does it look like on a PS3? lol

I really wish they'd hurry up and release a Samurai Spirits/Shodown collection. I like that series more. Or release the Last Blade collection in the US. There's always Garou: Mark of the Wolves too.

It looks fine on the PS3.

I'm assuming the Real Bout series and MOTW will debut on Vol. 2.

I'm waiting for the SS series as well. I'll bet they split it up though.

Help Installing Civilization 4 on Windows Vista

Ok, so I have vista with directx 10, I;m trying to install civ 4, during installation it says I need to install direct x 9.0c, I cancel because I dont want to downgrade, and the installation stops, it says I cant continue.

what the hell? so to play civ4 i need to downgrade to direcx 9.0c?

I could be wrong but don't future versions of things pretty much run the older versions of things? I mean, if you have Direct X 9 installed won't it automatically run everything beneath it like DX8 and back software? I mean, If my PC is running DX9 and for some weird reason the urge grabs me to install Half Life 1, which to my knowledge needed Direct X 7, it will work just fine without re-installing DX7... right?