Macross Live Action Movie

Toonz

Wait, this thread has been going for years and still no-one has posted these photos from the aborted live-action movie planned in the 1990s? How come?? I know a lot of you guys know about this, right?

(By the way, this is not an April Fools. I repeat, seriously, this is not an April Fools. This is the real deal.)

post-1318-0-08239900-1427976335_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-85252700-1427976336_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-31206000-1427976338_thumb.jpg

The script was written by David Newman... I assume the same one who, according to IMDB wrote Superman I, II and III, Santa Claus the Movie, and apparently he even did the Smooth Criminal segment of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker!!

Unfortunately he died in 2003, so we cannot ask him about the live action Macross script. :(

Edited by Renato

The script was written by David Newman... I assume the same one who, according to IMDB wrote Superman I, II and III, Santa Claus the Movie, and apparently he even did the Smooth Criminal segment of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker!!

Unfortunately he died in 2003, so we cannot ask him about the live action Macross script. :(

I've been trying to figure out if there's any way to contact his widow about it, actually...

I think that if a studio was bound and determnined to create a Macross movie they would be looking at the wrong series with DYRL. Macross frontier may provide better material for them to work with. There is a real reason for the singing, the characters have a slightly more believable love triangle, and there are big scary monsters which will instantly register in the minds of the audience as bad guys. As an added bonus, The VF-25 are more in line with the mecha audiences have already seen in movies like Transformers and such.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm under the opinion that Macross shouldn't ever be made into live action. What I would love to see is the Macross TV series remade into anime movies similar to how it was done with Evangelion. It shouldn't be condensed into one film or it runs the risk of being too similar to DYRL whether it be live action or animated. However if it was a trilogy I think it would do the series justice. if the story where broken down in this way it would work perfectly. The first movie should end with the Macross finally reaching Earth after its long journey back. The second movie could end with the battle to end Space War 1. And the third would be based on the episodes following the battle showing the aftermath. One change I would make is have the second movie end with Boldolzas fleet arriving at Earth and have the third film open with the battle.

I think that Macross frontier would not be a good era to set a live action movie in. The Giant robots fighting giant monsters is a bit too Pacific Rim. Now, this is assuming the movie would be produced for western audiences, as Japanese audiences would be able to recognize Macross. Uninitiated western audiences would think it was a transformers/pacific rim mashup/ripoff.

I think it would be better to show something unique to Macross (Think SDFM or M7) so that it's less prone to being labeled a ripoff.

Why on earth would you assume that Macross ANYTHING would be produced for Western audiences?

It's a Japanese IP that makes the bulk of its money from a supportive Japanese fanbase, the greater percentage of which is currently made up of Frontier fans. Not to mention, of course, that it can't be made with non-Japanese audiences in mind due to those 'issues' that shall not be named.
Like Yamato, Gatnz, and Ruroni Kenshin, if a Macross live action adaptation were to happen, it would be made in Japan for the Japanese audience.

For what its worth, of the current rumours industry surrounding the franchise and its possible future, a live action movie is not among anything I've heard of as of late.

• 2 months later...

Tochiro you are right, but also wrong :) The Macross do have largest base in Japan, but also there are many fans outside it too. I was watching Macross for long time on some channel on optus fetch, but they are not showing it any more. I'm from Australia by the way.. Anyway, about live-action.. Im not sure that would work. I think animated version is more suitable for sci-fi and it tickles your imagination more :)

Edited by nate85

Nate85 - I'm sorry but I think you misunderstand my point.

It's not that there are no Macross fans outside of Japan, but rather that the bulk of them are in Japan. Much more importantly, however, this fanbase is the only one that can be legally monetized using items that use the term MACROSS (due to a certain other party and their copyrights). As such, for an actual MACROSS movie, it's only logical that Japan will naturally double down on its local fanbase.

And yes, I'm originally from Australia too. When I trie to do a Macross podcast last December in Sydney, I could only find TWO fellow fans.

Yet when I go to a Macross Crossover concert here in Japan, I'm surrounded by 17,000 fans, all of whom paid 8000yen for the ticket and then many of which paid hundreds of dollars each for shirts, towels, Basara sunglasses etc. and that's just at one event. THAT is the market that any live action adaptation would be looking to monetize.

Edited by Tochiro

Nate85 - I'm sorry but I think you misunderstand my point.

It's not that there are no Macross fans outside of Japan, but rather that the bulk of them are in Japan. Much more importantly, however, this fanbase is the only one that can be legally monetized using items that use the term MACROSS (due to a certain other party and their copyrights). As such, for an actual MACROSS movie, it's only logical that Japan will naturally double down on its local fanbase.

And yes, I'm originally from Australia too. When I trie to do a Macross podcast last December in Sydney, I could only find TWO fellow fans.

Yet when I go to a Macross Crossover concert here in Japan, I'm surrounded by 17,000 fans, all of whom paid 8000yen for the ticket and then many of which paid hundreds of dollars each for shirts, towels, Basara sunglasses etc. and that's just at one event. THAT is the market that any live action adaptation would be looking to monetize.

Not to mention (I could be wrong), Harmony Gold has a deathgrip on distribution rights outside Japan (maybe that's just in the US though). As much as it pains me to say it, Japan would be the most likely target for such a venture.

Now, if it were made true to form (not losing any of what makes it Macross) but geared towards western audiences (live actors with CGI animation) it could be a way to broaden the fan base, and they could capitalize on the success of the transformers movies. That could 1) Loosen Harmony Gold's grip on the IP, and 2) give rise to a whole new generation of Macross fans, and truly universalize the franchise.

It's such a universal and hopeful story, which is kinda what we need to see. It's cloaked in war and death and apocalypse, but there's this glimmer of hope that just tugs at you. A lot of movies that have come out recently, have been dark and depressing, and it's symbolic of the times we live in.

That's just me though.

Who else would know what the story is for this cancelled Macross movie being in English and how and why it vanished?

The Macross Compendium Wiki holds a few clues for this "lost" movie.

Let's review the Macross Earth Final Outpost movie "facts".

Macross EFO was in development in the same year as Macross Plus and Macross 7 were being

produced: 1994. That was a productive year for the Macross franchise in Japan!

The Macross Plus OVA was dubbed into English and released onto the rental VHS market and onto North

American TV without Harmony Gold USA approval or interference.

In 1994, Galaxy Films and Bandai Entertainment were going to produce a live action movie in time for Christmas 1996.

The movie script was written in English by David Newman of Superman the movie fame. There is no information

of movie re-writes, director or actors cast for the movie or special effects companies involved with this movie.

1. The Macross EFO movie was written in English by David Newman of Superman The movie fame.

I don't know if Gubaba is having much luck finding Leslie Newman, spouse and

co-writer of David Newman, for an interview.

2. Who worked at Galaxy Flims at that time who might have something to

do with the 1994 Macross EFO movie?

Galaxy Films might possibly still exist and have staff records to see who to ask about

the Macross EFO film.

Galaxy Films, L.P.
1431 7th St
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Galaxy Music Videos, L.P., A California Limited Partnership
1431 7th St
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Maia Productions
1431 7th St
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Same business address for three companies that are inter-related.

2. Who is Ken Iyadomi?

IMDB lists him as working with Bandai Entertainment as

the Executive Producer of Macross Plus OVA in 1994.

He has a LinkedIn business contact webpage that lists him as

working as a consultant for Namco Bandai Games, Inc in the USA.

Would it be possible to politely contact him for an interview and ask him about his

involvement with Macross EFO and track down the movie script?

3. Who is Minoru Takanashi?

IMDB lists him as a producer of the Macross Plus movie for Bandai Visual.

He might have retired from Bandai, since his last project was in 2006.

4. Another option for more Macross EFO movie information would be to ask Tenjin Hidetaki

to ask Shoji Kawamori what he remembers about the Macross EFO movie.

5. Maybe, Macross EFO will be a part of the upcoming Macross exhibition in Japan?

I don't have much hope for a live action Macross film to be made for international release, but that doesn't mean

a live action Macross movie could not be produced just for the Japanese fans.

And then I and many other international Macross fans could import the bluray!