Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

Well, time for me to chime in with my own 2 cents.

As many of you have already pointed out, we still haven't seen if the Aoshima Legioss has fixed any of the issues in fighter mode. However, there is one thing I'm almost completely certain about: these things are gonna suffer from floppy arm syndrome.

Look at all the pics we've seen so far. Not one of them shows the Legioss' arm parallel to the ground. And it doesn't look like they've made any improvements to that shoulder/swivel joint.

I probably wasn't gonna buy these Legiosses anyways (since I already have the Toynami versions). But the arms are definitely a deal-breaker for me.

As for the updated Tread/Beta, I honestly don't mind how it looks. I can live with the cockpit folding down the way it does in soldier mode, especially if the trade-off for an inaccurate soldier mode means a detailed cockpit and pilot.

I also really want to see what type of joints they're using on the Tread/Beta. Because if they aren't rachet-joints, I fear for how the Tread/Beta will look in bomber mode.

As for the hips, I really wish Toynami/Aoshima would use ball-joints ala the 1/48 Yammy Valks. Assuming the joints can hold the legs up in bomber mode and they DON'T put any die-cast in the legs, it would give the Tread/Beta the A-stance we all want.

Well, let's see how things pan out. Design-wise (and only in regards to design), I actually give the slightest of edges to the Toynami/Aoshima version (over CM's version).

However, unless they do a hell of a lot more impressing, Toynami's still in the sh*t-hole for the way they've handled this whole Beta situation.

why is it that in all the pics i've seen of their legioss, they don't show the missile in the forearms? :mellow:

Because the assembly there isn't very good. The missiles are a single plate that's supposed to go in slanted, but often, they go in vertically straight instead, which spoils the look when the cover is open.

Not too sure if it's fixable, because it could be a design problem, which is considerably more difficult to fix.

They look more colorful, like candies. :D Thanks for the pics. Still going to wait and see. Durability is going to be important as is the arms' ability to hold poses with the gun in hand. Toynami Alphas were improvements in durability to vf-1 mpc, so if these are slightly better in durability again, it will as least be a gradual improvement.

They should do the clawed, black one too.

why are they using high gloss paint on a mecha?

Easy.

When the aliens use their laser beams to burn the target the light gets reflected back or to the sides lessening damage. Its like the anti-beam coating you get in the gundam mecha universe. If they don't keep the special coating reflective the mecha will take more damage.

The candy colors are to stay hidden in the anime world. Since everyone is colored in cartoony primary colors the mecha have to be as well to camouflage them. Red hides the mecha on mars, blue for sea missions launched from a sub, and green is for the army.

These are my bullshit explanations, to help cope with the colorful robots I have displayed which reminds me of a 2 year old's playground and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Easy.

When the aliens use their laser beams to burn the target the light gets reflected back or to the sides lessening damage. Its like the anti-beam coating you get in the gundam mecha universe. If they don't keep the special coating reflective the mecha will take more damage.

The candy colors are to stay hidden in the anime world. Since everyone is colored in cartoony primary colors the mecha have to be as well to camouflage them. Red hides the mecha on mars, blue for sea missions launched from a sub, and green is for the army.

These are my bullshit explanations, to help cope with the colorful robots I have displayed which reminds me of a 2 year old's playground and shouldn't be taken seriously.

LMAO :lol::lol:

I thought I'd check in for updates. I'm glad to see the new pictures. The REALLY good news is that the Legios shoulder missile doors are marked "L" and "R." That way you know which shoulder to put them back on when they fall off :p . - MT

I thought I'd check in for updates. I'm glad to see the new pictures. The REALLY good news is that the Legios shoulder missile doors are marked "L" and "R." That way you know which shoulder to put them back on when they fall off :p . - MT

Er, if I'm not mistaken the Toynami version already have this?

Er, if I'm not mistaken the Toynami version already have this?

Correct, but iirc the odd thing is that the hatch marked "L" is on the right, and the hatch marked "R" is on the left... either that, or they are both marked "L"... Would have to unpack mine to recall/verify.

Correct, but iirc the odd thing is that the hatch marked "L" is on the right, and the hatch marked "R" is on the left... either that, or they are both marked "L"... Would have to unpack mine to recall/verify.

No rush. Not exactly something earthshaking, is it? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be the guinea pig on all of these things. Unfortunately, my time at home has dropped to almost nill so I never am able to work on my website or even purchase toys any more. Very sad days in my neck of the woods as far as toys are concerned. In fact, 99% of my toys are now officially in storage and it seems super silly to plunk down $100 on something you're immediately going to have to bury in a tub somewhere. Soo, looks like a good bet I'll be with 1/1 on this one... waiting for someone else's review.

Thanks for the info, but I am a little worry about the choice of colour, that fluro green is a little off... :unsure:

[attachmentid=42903]

Aoshima's metal works and paint jobs are very nice, but the QC at the production end is at times mis or hit, so I 'll wait for review.

post-3608-1181522401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

I think the color they're showing is a bit too bright but I like they're taking the more cartoony approach over Toynami's more gritty color choices. Toynami went a bit dark whenever possible, typically much darker than Gakken and I'd say Gakken was closer to a proper reflection of the show:

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

They've been showing up on eBay now for over a month. I think that is just a case of Internet sales people banking on the original released date. Something for the folks in the US to consider is that Toynami is showing these at the cons with an MSRP of $80 seemingly indicating that these toys will be available in the US without the huge shipping cost.

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cg...;show_article=2

* The Aoshima MOSPEADA Legioss

Toynami employees were happy to set the record straight on this new product, since rampant misinformation has saturated the internet. The new fighters are made by Toynami, for release in Japan by Aoshima. They feature a re-engineered mold that includes reinforced hip joints, the shoulder missile launcher, and extra missiles under the chest pieces. The evolution of this piece is as follows: Aoshima contacted Toynami, wanting the Alpha mold for release in Japan. Toynami, seeking to protect the collectible status of the Alpha MPC, refused to hand over the molds for the now SOLD OUT Alphas. Instead, Toynami set out to create new/distinct molds, incorporating some new features and fixing some issues pointed out by the fans. The Aoshima Legioss will come in three ‘anime’ colors that are different from the Alpha coloration. In Japan they will run 9,000 Yen (approx. $85 USD) and will see release in the U.S. with the Aoshima label. In addition, there will be Aoshima-color matching Betas!!!

They make absolutely no mention of the arm friction joints which have trouble dealing with their own arm weight. :unsure:

Hmm.....that's bad news that Toynami kept control of the molds and is making them instead of Aoshima. That means they are Aoshima branded only.

I'm sure quality would be better if it was a 100% Aoshima controlled project.

Graham

uhm I hope they will fix major issues... i'm grant them one last chance to encourage me of buying one.

They're supposed to have added ratchets to the hip joints.... which is fine and all, but I want to know if they made the various arm joints tighter, got rid of the diecast in the fore-arms, fixed the little problem with the hands crumbling, fixed the lousy shoulder joint which tended to fall apart, fixed the gimpy leg-lock-out, fixed the landing gears that didn't deploy correctly, made it easier to transform into fighter mode and fixed the wierd upward pointing nose.

If they fixed those issues, I'll one.

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting for somebody to bump this thread. Finally there's some news worth of doing it.

Below a couple of pictures of the Toynami/Aoshima Legioss in fighter mode from the SDCC (Thanks to Mog for the link ).

From the dull blue Legioss pic, it seems like the arm/shoulder gap and the arched back problem were solved, but the caramel blue Legioss shows all the typical fighter mode problems in all their glory. That's funny: weren't the caramel colored Legiosses the "fixed" ones? And how come the dull blue Legioss has no gaps and arched back?

post-1636-1185599040_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1185599055_thumb.jpg