Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

I've never understood the extra missile pod attached to the left shoulder, makes the Legioss look chunkie in both Fighter and Soldier mode. I hope is detachable :/

That extra missle pod was only seen in the line-art, as far as I know. And since model kit makers tend to base stuff on the line-art...

The shoulder missile pod was actually devised by Imai to hide the gap in the upper fuselage in fighter mode, and was deliberated by the show's producers where it was then (I think) incorporated for one episode... The one with Rainy Boy.

Never noticed that! Must go back and have another look when I get my DVD's back from loan. (Not that I really need an excuse to rewatch Mospeada).

I must admit I've never been a big fan of the look of the extra missile pod. I don't mind it in Armo-fighter mode but I'm not sold on it in any of the other modes. I'm kind of hoping that it will be removable on the Aoshima Legioss. Much like I'm hoping that the other missiles mentioned will be removable. Hmm, thinking about it Aoshima are pretty much modifying the Toynami version back towards the kit that it was originally "inspired" by. A sort of "circular evolution".

Karl

So will all the plastic be changed to something more strong? And what about the hands? Will these be easy to break? I remmeber people saying that those fingers are really delicate.

I'm planning on getting a garland when all the new ones with shoulder fixes are released. So I tend to want news on the durability of these things since I am a fan of the mecha but scared of the QC. (only thing holding back on purchases) Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a case that early releases have big flaws that later releases don't which means people end up waiting until the problems are fixed for ages. (get it right first time)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it does have the underintake missiles from the model kit, and I'm beginning to suspect that they are unfortunately fixed.

Still swithering about buying the red version, I don't have a three mode version of Hoquet's Legioss and it is my favourite colour scheme. Curse the little part of my brain that is tempted to pick one of these up.

Karl

the paint on these ones looks a million times better than the toynami ones.. they look like they jumped straight out of an anime cel.

From the pic, it looks like it does look a bit blocky compare to CM's version. Since I don't have the MPC version, is the mold of the MPC the similar as this version? The hands are a bit small though for holding a big gun!! :lol:

Color looks good, stands out more. I hope I can actually play with this version. Kinda like Bandai Macross toys. Bulky, but sturdy. :lol: Have a feeling CM maybe too delicate to play with.

Looks like they've still got the self destructing hands and crooked heads... I'd say they haven't fixed much of anything.

Not so sure about the hands... They look significantly different than the Nami Toy's (the old ones are a darker grey "gummy" plastic, whereas these look lighter in color and slightly glossy). Other than that, the missiles and coloration stand out as the only really visible differences. The shoulder scopes look the same as old, so not so sure about rumors/conjecture about their being mountable in fighter mode.

Is that an Aoshima Tread, or the Toynami one? It's next to a Ride Armor, so everyone I've seen has said it is some new form of the Toynami Tread...

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. If Aoshima is releasing a slightly tweak MPC Alpha then it's not a difficult leap to think they'd do something similar with the Tread. Since no 1/48 tread was ever made as a model they probably wouldn't feel the need to tweak the Tread to be like the models they're already selling so it may just be a straight reissue of Toynami's Beta... that is, if Toynami is ever going to actually sell that Beta.

Edit - From pics Rob juts posted it looks like Toynami/Aoshima moved the legs away from the waist of Beta. It's definitely a bit curious... it could mean that, if this toy does transform, it would be more capable of having an A-stance because the hips can be pitched inward (if the joint allows for it). It also MIGHT mean that the feet of the alpha can be tucked inside the Beta's frame rather than being outside of them. If the feet do slide within the Alpha this could theoretically add a whole lot more stability to the unified Alpha/Beta. I have a lot of glare on my monitor at the moment so I can't gleam any more details.

Edited by jenius

Things I have noticed about the Aoshima Legioss:

-Plastic (no rubber) fingers, as Hiriyu already pointed out.

-No seam in the upper leg and the upper leg's "light", wich means the "cap" is now a separate piece. A good idea from the cosmetic point of view.

-The hip joints are maybe stronger now, but the Legioss still can't hold an "A" stance wich is a big disappointment for me.

-The sensor pod is the same as Toynami's, wich means it still can't be stored in fighter mode.

-The shoulder mounting piece (the little gray thingy that swivels to put the arm in place) is still also the same, so it doesn't lock properly in Soldier mode (look Sig's left shoulder).

-The Cyclone storage section, apparently still don't have a locking mechanism, so it tends to close down.

-The neck is also the same.

-And the arm connector boom is the same as Toynami's, so no new/improved linking mechanism for the Beta in the Aoshima version (I'm still wondering how they'll pull that off).

The biggest and more numerous problems however, are in fighter mode, so we'll still have to see if the arched back problem, the dragging chest piece, and the overall fitting parts were solved. I also like to see if the wings lock firmly in the nose in Soldier mode.

As it is now, if the toy doesn't even feel more durable and tight jointed, I think I'll pass.

As for the Beta, the connecting port design does not allow for the Legioss to be attached in Soldier mode, so it seems that CM's beats the Toynami version at least in that area, since the Toynami/Aoshima apparently just "rests" on the cup, letting all the job to gravity alone.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Take a very close look at the hands: the hinge pivots for the fingers look way different the the old ones - especially evident when looking at the upper surface of the hand on the green one. Also, there is a noticeable "shine" to the plastic, whereas the old ones are a non-shiny matte grey. Who knows, I could be out in left field on this one, but somehow don't think so.

How can you tell the hands are different from that pic??? They look pretty much the same to me...

More hard edged, sheen is different. Might be correct, Aoshima might actually be producing a separate set of hands for their Legoiss. If they are smart(er), they would make the hands available separately -- the current Alpha owners should snap them up quickly.

Hurmph. Hip joints changed (unknown what changed), upper thigh reworked. The additional missiles are really not very meaningful.

Hands look changed but officially not stated so in the first pic. Is it my imagination or is the mag well pivoted now? Can't really get a good look from these pics, but probably my imagination.

Overall, still a "wait-and-see".

Cyclone: Meh.

Same prototype Tread. Given the way Toynami/ Aoshima is hyping it, I'm guessing it won't be released. I'm thinking vapourware.

Pity though, the engineering looks good. Sculpt I'm not happy with, but that I can live with for the sake of a Beta for my Alpha. As for the coupling, I'm suspecting a clip-on part and not integral to the Beta.

Same prototype Tread. Given the way Toynami/ Aoshima is hyping it, I'm guessing it won't be released. I'm thinking vapourware.

That's pretty clearly an entirely brand new prototype. Click here to see pictures of the original prototype.

Notice that the new prototype actually has a cockpit and that it folds down in battloid mode. It's really far from ideal since it doesn't fold into the chest cavity and get concealed like I believe it should.

The Legioss looks decently improved but I hope that third missile box is removeable, I'm not a fan of that.

Roger just posted this over at TBDX: 2007/05/46.html

Lots of nice pics.

Well, now I know why Toynami hasn't been showing pictures of the Beta in battloid. It looks like a mid-1980s toy. About as dynamic as my old voltron. Maybe it's just the wideset, treetrunk-like legs. I dunno.

Pretty disappointing though.

So there is an alright fighter-mode Beta with Toynami (although with a pretty ugly cockpit) which has a terrible battloid, or a not-very-accurate fighter CM (with a tiny cockpit) which has an alright battloid mode.

Not the choices I was hoping for.

I'm still excited of course, to even have a single Beta/Tread, let alone a choice. But neither is really the toy I had been hoping for. Although I am leaning towards the CM now, which I didn't think I would be a month or so ago.

So far I like CM's Tread best in both modes. The cockpit might seem small, but I think it makes for a cool looking bomber mode. Soldier also looks bad ass.

I agree Toynami's looks like an old school toy. I've been saying that about Toynami for a while. They're way behind the modern toy industry in design and sculpt IMO. As things are now, I'm tru' with the Toynami/Aoshima Mospeada line. I'll rather save for the CM's bundle.

That's pretty clearly an entirely brand new prototype.

Uh-huh.. ok, that's news to me, but you missed my point. After so many months (has it been a year already?), they're still talking about prototypes. They are still refusing to commit to saying "yes, we will produce this item", even though there's a clear demand and there's now highly visible competition.

It's gotten to the point where if CM comes out with their Tread, I'm not going to wait for Toynami's "perhaps, maybe, probably" Beta. There's no guarantee that Toynami would not continue to be wishy-washy about this, which means a Beta is as good as "never going to happen". Even if they continue to wave it under our collective noses, I'm just going to treat it as vapourware until they (finally!) decide to get more serious about things.

And, to stick it into Toynami and twisting it a bit, since the Beta is an important component in the show, if I'm not getting it from Toynami, it means I'm not getting any other items from their line (due to compatibility issues). Joy, Toynami shot itself in the foot again. Not only that, it means I have very little reason to shop with Aoshima, so they shot Aoshima in the foot too!

(It's Monday morning on my end, a particularly annoying vendor is buzzing around my mailbox, and I still hadn't gotten my morning tannin fix, so I'm a bit crankier than normal.)

I do agree with you on pretty much all points but I did just want to point out that it is a new prototype as it seems like a pretty important detail a lot of people can easily miss. The cockpit is a big deal and the toy they're showing now is very simple (looks like an 80s toy... desperately needs an A-stance) but that also translates into very easy to make. Now, I'm already in the "I love the Legioss and Tread and will buy all toys of them" camp so I'm not going to swear anything off. Personally, I feel like Toynami's version is a little more true to what I recall the vehicle being like in bomber mode (and linked mode in the old prototype pics) but I do like the CMs stylized version also (with obvious exceptions for items I genuinely expect them to fix).

Now, I'm already in the "I love the Legioss and Tread and will buy all toys of them" camp so I'm not going to swear anything off. Personally, I feel like Toynami's version is a little more true to what I recall the vehicle being like in bomber mode (and linked mode in the old prototype pics) but I do like the CMs stylized version also (with obvious exceptions for items I genuinely expect them to fix).

Then really, all I can say is "I feel sorry for your wallet."

:D:D:D