Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

From the dull blue Legioss pic, it seems like the arm/shoulder gap and the arched back problem were solved, but the caramel blue Legioss shows all the typical fighter mode problems in all their glory. That's funny: weren't the caramel colored Legiosses the "fixed" ones? And how come the dull blue Legioss has no gaps and arched back?

It's probably that the "dull" blue one is the same "groomed" copy that has been displayed at all of the shows. I honestly wouldn't expect much improvement for the Aoshima release. The CMs isn't looking too hot either in my opinion.

That did it. No Aoshimas for me. The ratcheted hip and the extra missiles aren't enough to justify it. I was waiting for improvenments on fighter mode, but since they aren't any I'll just wait for the CMs version.

It's not really surprising that there are no changes to the banana-boat syndrome. That's a design-to-manufacturing realization problem; I'm guessing the design specs are too tight for whoever produced the mold, and unless you go back to redo the mold you can't get rid of the problem easily (Fans can mod it to work, but it doesn't happen on a production scale..). And economic theory would suggest Aoshima didn't redo the molds, because that would have been hugely expensive.

The only thing I hope for is for Aoshima to produce better hands, and that some kind soul would provide recasts. I'm still gunning for CM's Legioss/ Tread, because that seems more probable than Toynami's vapourware Beta.

Lynx, you seem a bit behind the times. A few misconceptions that have already been cleared up:

1) Aoshima isn't really "producing" anything, Toynami is supplying Aoshima with these toys.

2) The CMs corp Legioss/Tread has been delayed until some time next year

3) The Toynami Beta is due out for a release this year, it will be available in paint schemes that match the original MPCs and the Aoshima versions.

I don't think the arched back has been fixed but the landing gear looks to be touching the plastic in that picture which means any banana syndrome must be pretty mild on that mock-up (although it'll probably be much worse on the actual releases).

Lynx, you seem a bit behind the times. A few misconceptions that have already been cleared up:

1) Aoshima isn't really "producing" anything, Toynami is supplying Aoshima with these toys.

2) The CMs corp Legioss/Tread has been delayed until some time next year

3) The Toynami Beta is due out for a release this year, it will be available in paint schemes that match the original MPCs and the Aoshima versions.

I don't think the arched back has been fixed but the landing gear looks to be touching the plastic in that picture which means any banana syndrome must be pretty mild on that mock-up (although it'll probably be much worse on the actual releases).

Behind the times, am I? :D

1) Precisely my point -- unless Aoshima gotten into the actual production (and hence correct the design-manufacture realisation problem), the banana-boat problem won't go away..

2) Delayed yes, but I have faith in CM. Barring a massive C&D from license holders, I think the CM Legioss/ Tread would happen. Whereas...

3) Heh, this is Toynami we're talking about. It's vapourware until it actually appears on the shelf.

3) Heh, this is Toynami we're talking about. It's vapourware until it actually appears on the shelf.

As I've said in the past, I seriously doubt we'll see Toynami's Beta by the end of the year. I mean, has Toynami ever released anything on time?

It'd be a minor miracle if we actually see this released by March 2008 at the earliest.

I'm hoping it's not vaporware, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that way either.

Has there been any proper ways to mod the banana nose syndrome?

But it doesn't just stop there for mine, things are breaking off left right and centre on my poor Rook (jap name?) Legioss...

I would love to display her, but she just doesn't sit pretty with all the other kick ass stuff.

I'll pull her out of the box tonight, been a while, i bet something "else" will break just for my feline curiosity. :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Has there been any proper ways to mod the banana nose syndrome?

But it doesn't just stop there for mine, things are breaking off left right and centre on my poor Rook (jap name?) Legioss...

I would love to display her, but she just doesn't sit pretty with all the other kick ass stuff.

I'll pull her out of the box tonight, been a while, i bet something "else" will break just for my feline curiosity. :lol:

Well, the banana-boat can be minimized, it's just that you do need to worry at the transformation a bit to get it to sit right -- the torso has to compress totally and the arms have to be at the right place to hook into the holes, after which you have to tweak here and there a bit. You can minimize the bend so that it's not that noticable, but AFAIK it doesn't quite go away.

And yeah, the hands are kind of flaky. My Hoquet's right hand is cracked and that's kind of tricky to repair.

bah, the whole design is bullocks. I broke out my scott type alpha, and the leg locks won't even support the weight of thr toy anymore, the whole thing just collapses into a fugly blue midget after a few hours. And mine's been kept in fighter mode, in the box for the last two years because it annoyed me so much.

The only thing I hope for is for Aoshima to produce better hands, and that some kind soul would provide recasts. I'm still gunning for CM's Legioss/ Tread, because that seems more probable than Toynami's vapourware Beta.

Yeah, I'd love some new hands for my 3 Alphas. I hope somebody around here picks up the glove, because that's the only part of the new Alpha I'd be interested in. Maybe he or she could add some missiles to those interested?

It's a very light blue isn't it? But that horny nose just sucks the big one.... or something... hahah :unsure:

Well, the banana-boat can be minimized, it's just that you do need to worry at the transformation a bit to get it to sit right -- the torso has to compress totally and the arms have to be at the right place to hook into the holes, after which you have to tweak here and there a bit. You can minimize the bend so that it's not that noticable, but AFAIK it doesn't quite go away.

And yeah, the hands are kind of flaky. My Hoquet's right hand is cracked and that's kind of tricky to repair.

Yeah i have tried to do it without mods, but i was ondering if anyone has done some cosmetic mods to neutralize the horny nose.

I have also succesfully got it straight enough without mods... but i dunno.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

heres some pics i took at SDCC of the Aoshima vs the MPC alpha

Bright Blue (Aoshima) is showing visible banana nose; note that the nose gear is fully extended whereas the MPC display isn't. Also, it appears to be resting on its chestplate. From experience, I know you can get a smidgen of clearance there, so it's probably a mistransformed Legioss.

(Bear in mind that the tolerances for a "perfect transformation" is a bit tight so it's easy to mistransform the thing..)

Yeah i have tried to do it without mods, but i was ondering if anyone has done some cosmetic mods to neutralize the horny nose.

I think it would be difficult; the problem really lies in the chestplate and the upper torso points (offhand), so it's hard to put in anything that would counter.. unless you mean a snazzy paintjob that will distract you, I suppose a shocking pink Hello Kitty Alpha would work then... :p

Let me take some time to say this.. although I'm quite critical of the Toynami Alpha, I think the basic design is good although some areas (like the head sculpt and neck area) can be improved. I see the problems of Toynami Alpha as mostly deriving from poor design-to-manufacture realization: the wrong use of the wrong material, too much and too little parts clearance tolerance, and perhaps a business failure to ascertain product quality before mass production.

well after so much been talked about, any one seen any actual release yet? seems it's like vapourware again.

I think you guys use the term "vaporware" too freely. Vaporware is stuff that never shows up, like the Macross game on N64 or whatever, Toynami's stuff is just incredibly late to arrive. In the case of the Aoshima Legioss, it hasn't really been that long ago since news of it first broke, it's way too early to be calling it "vaporware" especially since it seems closer to release every time we see it and Toynami has announced that the fact its release is going to happen was a deciding factor in why the Beta is going to happen. Anyway, that's all just a matter of semantics.

I think it would be difficult; the problem really lies in the chestplate and the upper torso points (offhand), so it's hard to put in anything that would counter.. unless you mean a snazzy paintjob that will distract you, I suppose a shocking pink Hello Kitty Alpha would work then...

This is pretty spot on. The actual tweaks that would have been needed in the molds is small so its depressing to think they didn't happen. If the slots the upper winglets attached to were pushed forward just a bit that would have helped, the same with where the arms attach to the legs. These are not things that could be easily rectified from a hobby stand point. Usually when the 'banana' effect is exagerrated it's because of a problem with the transformation (or mechanisms involved with transformation). If something somewhere is getting snagged, or if the mechanism has too much flash or slop in the sleeve to collapse properly, you're pretty much screwed. With Toynami's *STELLAR* build tolerances you just never know what the scenario is.

okie.. well i used the word vapour ware to freely i supposed, but that is the closest word to use, as we have know it's coming out in july, yet till today nothing is seen in the real market.. thus i used the word to decribe something that is not in our market as stated in the dates...

Well perhaps i used the word wrongly as you have said, but i dun think any other word can decribe it.. hope i explained clearly why i used vapour ware ..

hope u under stand jenius.

^_^

Bright Blue (Aoshima) is showing visible banana nose; note that the nose gear is fully extended whereas the MPC display isn't. Also, it appears to be resting on its chestplate. From experience, I know you can get a smidgen of clearance there, so it's probably a mistransformed Legioss.

(Bear in mind that the tolerances for a "perfect transformation" is a bit tight so it's easy to mistransform the thing..)

I think it would be difficult; the problem really lies in the chestplate and the upper torso points (offhand), so it's hard to put in anything that would counter.. unless you mean a snazzy paintjob that will distract you, I suppose a shocking pink Hello Kitty Alpha would work then... :p

Let me take some time to say this.. although I'm quite critical of the Toynami Alpha, I think the basic design is good although some areas (like the head sculpt and neck area) can be improved. I see the problems of Toynami Alpha as mostly deriving from poor design-to-manufacture realization: the wrong use of the wrong material, too much and too little parts clearance tolerance, and perhaps a business failure to ascertain product quality before mass production.

Thanks man for your effort in writing this. :D Spot on. lol @ Hello Kitty....

• 2 months later...

Well it is out today, and I picked one up. Boy am I not happy spent near over an hour trying to get it back in fighter mode. All the gory details will follow if I ever get it back to fighter mode.

Well it is out today, and I picked one up. Boy am I not happy spent near over an hour trying to get it back in fighter mode. All the gory details will follow if I ever get it back to fighter mode.

Ouch

Sounds worst than the MPC.

Ouch

Sounds worst than the MPC.

Well I never had the MPC Alpha, but this new release of Toynami's toy by Aoshima is not very good. Not trying to be a hater, it just plain as day isn't a good buy for the cost. Yen price 10290 = to $89.15

So any ways here goes.

Box design is ok, nothing near as flashy as the MPC book box, but the Aoshima packaging does represent what is actually in the box better. It also indicates that is is not a toy but a "Transformable Full Action Model".

There is a good amount of die-cast which is about the only positive thing going for it.

I got mine case fresh and when I opened it, it was very obvious the left wing was bent. There are also numerous scratches, scuffs, and deep scrapes that came from the assembly line. There are also area of excess glue and glue finger print smudges. Other than the die-cast parts the rest of the Legioss looks to be made up of at least three different types of low grade plastic. Paint is the usual Toynami paid job, over all decent with bits of over spray.

New accessory's are the under chest missiles, the additional shoulder rocket pack is not an accessory but a permanent add on and is non-removable.

Transformation is not fun at all. Takes too much effort just to get from fighter to battroid. The transformation system seems to be all based on pegs and slots to hold all its transformation into place, but either they don't match up or they pop right out.

The hands are a serious concern. They are white plastic painted with a thick coat of gray, which makes opening the hands the scariest part of the transformation. The should have been made of gray plastic, the paint just makes them impossible to set, this additional paint will put stress and the fingers and will eventually cause them to break.

Landing gear is made of metal with rubber wheels. The left landing gear on mine is bent from the inside of the leg and does not drop down properly.

Oh yeah and at one point a small hollow square plastic piece fell out of the leg, and I have no idea what it goes to.

Well I need to get some sleep, will have pictures up in the morning. If you have any questions add them to the thread.

Edited by SaveRobotech